Time for Jets, Sudfeld’s Patience to Pay off?

JetNation

Zach Sudfeld

By Glenn Naughton

Heading in to the 2016 NFL season, the New York Jets have a huge hole in their offense at the tight end position, and at 6′ 7” 253 pounds, Gang Green is hoping that their patience with the oversized, yet oft-injured, Zach Sudfeld will pay off in helping fill that hole.

Much has been made of the versatility the Jets hope to have on offense this season with the addition of running backs Matt Forte and Khiry Robinson, who will join Bilal Powell in New York’s backfield, giving offensive coordinator Chan Gailey three backs who pose a threat in both the running and passing game.

Quincy Enunwa will look to become a bigger part of Chan Gailey's versatile offense.

Quincy Enunwa will look to become a bigger part of Chan Gailey’s versatile offense in 2016.

Wide receiver/H-back Quincy Enunwa and H-back/tight end Jace Amaro stand to present match-up problems for opposing defenses as well, but still missing from the Jets offense is a true in-line tight end who won’t have to come off the field for fear of being a liability in any one aspect of the game.

That’s where Sudfeld comes in.  As patient as the Jets have been in waiting for Sudfeld’s injury to mend, he has had to wait on his body to recover from significant injuries several times.

The former New England Patriot who was let go by Bill Belichick as he battled one injury after another in what was an otherwise impressive rookie camp, Sudfeld was viewed by some as one of the best blocking tight ends in the country in his final college season.  However, it’s been a long road for the University of Nevada product whom the Jets also released last season only to later re-sign him and place him on injured reserve after suffering a torn ACL when he was hit by safety Calvin Pryor in a non-contact drill.  It was a bit of deja vu for Sudfeld who suffered season-ending injuries three different times at Nevada.

Now, having had time to recover from his latest injury and a year of watching from the sidelines, as Chan Gailey’s offense finished 11th in scoring in the NFL, one can’t help but wonder what a player of Sudfeld’s physical stature can offer in the middle of the field.

Last season’s offense, while productive, became too predictable as the Jets relied far too much on receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric

Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker combined for 189 receptions in 2015.

Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker combined for 189 receptions in 2015.

Decker who accounted for 52% of the team’s receptions (189 of 362).  Thinking back to the their Week 17 loss to the Buffalo Bills and Ryan Fitzpatrick’s back-breaking red zone interception on a pass to Decker, would the outcome have been different with a player like the 6′ 7” Sudfeld running up the seam?  We’ll never know.

However, should he manage to earn significant playing time, Sudfeld would be suiting up on offense with any combination of Marshall, Decker, Forte, Enunwa, Amaro and Powell, with Kenbrell Thomkins and speedsters Charone Peake and Robby Anderson fighting to make the 53-man roster.  Having the versatility to line up tight to the formation as a blocker who can catch the ball, while also being able to move to the slot or the outside, adds to Gailey’s options on offense.

If ever there was  a time for Sudfeld’s patience to pay off, it would be right off the bat in training camp.  With no clear-cut starter at the position and few options on the roster who possess his overall size and skill set, the job may be his for the taking as the current regime seems undecided on Jace Amaro whom they considered an H-back as opposed to a traditional tight end during camp last season.

The Jets have waited on Sudfeld as he’s waited on his many wounds to heal over the years.  Now it’s time to find out if the best things do indeed come to those who wait.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
pnyxopDnvs4

Click here to read the full story...

I felt more excited about Sudfeld before he kept getting hurt.  But aside from the perception of fragility, what is his real prospect for getting hurt again?  I guess the ACL is somewhat a concern, but if he stays healthy he can be a real asset.  As the article noted the Jets need a real TE to contribute.

SUdfeld was also a very good special teams player.

2 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

I felt more excited about Sudfeld before he kept getting hurt.  But aside from the perception of fragility, what is his real prospect for getting hurt again?  I guess the ACL is somewhat a concern, but if he stays healthy he can be a real asset.  As the article noted the Jets need a real TE to contribute.

I'd say four season-ending injuries n six years is more than just perception but hopefully that's the last of if.

With players like Sudfeld and Milliner, it's not a matter of if they will get hurt, but when.

Players with such extensive injury histories rarely last in the NFL. When you are going up against the best of the best, your body needs to stay in or near peak physical shape. If you lose a step, you are done.

One think I don't really like about Sudfield is I always felt like he never really attacks the ball as a receiver. He kinda does the Stephen Hill thing where he waits for the ball to sort of fall into his hands. I would think Amaro is more likely to step up from his injuries

3 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

One think I don't really like about Sudfield is I always felt like he never really attacks the ball as a receiver. He kinda does the Stephen Hill thing where he waits for the ball to sort of fall into his hands. I would think Amaro is more likely to step up from his injuries

A little early to draw that conclusion IMO.  It's not like he's a guy who has been targeted enough to determine his style in going after the ball.  I've watched some of his college games but didn't see a lot of plays where he had to battle a defender to make the catch.  You may be right, but we'll have to wait a bit to find out for sure.

6 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

So you felt more excited about him when he was in high school?

18 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

I don't like that he runs like Frankenstein

15 hours ago, AFJF said:

I'd say four season-ending injuries n six years is more than just perception but hopefully that's the last of if.

I am sorry, I did not mean to suggest otherwise, since the perception is certainly based on history.  But yes, hopefully that's the end of it.

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

So you felt more excited about him when he was in high school?

I don't like that he runs like Frankenstein

Frankenstein runs?  I always wondered how he and the Mummy used to catch fleeing villagers.

40f1a70d17c08d6c1cc0ab2b91429b3f.jpg

Whenever I hear his name this is what I think about. Geno got hit while throwing and the ball hung up in the air for what felt like an eternity and somehow he was out jumped by a guy he has half a foot on. He's only got 10 career receptions but our TE group is pretty bad so maybe he gets a shot. I'm not very optimistic though. I can say that at training camp in 2014 he was the last guy off the field and the coaches were yelling at him the whole way off because he wanted to sign autographs all day. Seems like a good guy.

1 hour ago, Jet in PA said:

Whenever I hear his name this is what I think about. Geno got hit while throwing and the ball hung up in the air for what felt like an eternity and somehow he was out jumped by a guy he has half a foot on. He's only got 10 career receptions but our TE group is pretty bad so maybe he gets a shot. I'm not very optimistic though. I can say that at training camp in 2014 he was the last guy off the field and the coaches were yelling at him the whole way off because he wanted to sign autographs all day. Seems like a good guy.

Well what do you expect?  The guy HAS NO ARMS :-)

3 hours ago, Jet in PA said:

1:05:00 I believe that play is.  Funny (given other discussions on "shoulda-been INT's") how many I saw just scrolling through this game alone.  Seems Geno got a very friendly intern grading him on Football Future that year.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

1:05:00 I believe that play is.  Funny (given other discussions on "shoulda-been INT's") how many I saw just scrolling through this game alone.  Seems Geno got a very friendly intern grading him on Football Future that year.

Watched this game recently and totally forgot Geno had Decker WIIIIIDE OPEN down the field for an easy TD and overthrew him.  Sure hope he improves if Mac and Bowles lose out on their top choice, don't add another vet and get stuck with Geno.

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Last game of the season hard to forget until we start up and start winning again. 

Awesome time management talking about RF's last game in the Zack Sudfield thread ... But at least you managed to get down on your knees & s*ck Bill Bellicheat's sausage at the same time!

16 minutes ago, ljr said:

Awesome time management talking about RF's last game in the Zack Sudfield thread ... But at least you managed to get down on your knees & s*ck Bill Bellicheat's sausage at the same time!

I started a thread the other day with the story about Carson Wentz, of the Philadelphia Eagles, locking himself in a gas station bathroom, and a Geno supporter tried to turn it in to a Fitz thread....because, you know...we don't have any other threads in which we can discuss Fitz and Geno.

7 hours ago, ljr said:

Best coach in the NFL possibly the history of the NFL matches his future Hall of Fame QB no doubt the best QB in the history of the NFL........truth hurt.

24 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Best coach in the NFL possibly the history of the NFL matches his future Hall of Fame QB no doubt the best QB in the history of the NFL........truth hurt.

Now what do Bill Walsh & Joe Montana have to do with Zack Sudfield ?!?!?!?!  You are really off the reservation !

3 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Sudfeld should make a much larger impact at TE than Jace Amaro ever will. Amaro is a bust, too small, can't block, drops way too many passes....

We'll find out this year how true that is.

If he's still done nothing at year end, I expect he'll be long gone for 2017.

I still think he has a chance to be something as a pass-catcher here.  Presuming he doesn't get hurt again.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

We'll find out this year how true that is.

If he's still done nothing at year end, I expect he'll be long gone for 2017.

I still think he has a chance to be something as a pass-catcher here.  Presuming he doesn't get hurt again.

He still has a chance because Jace Amaro sucks a fat one. We need a traditional TE. A guy that can do it all. Zack Sudfeld is the most interesting prospect in that mold. That's also NOT knocking anyone. That's just objective fact.

On 6/24/2016 at 0:29 PM, Mainejet said:

Sudfeld should make a much larger impact at TE than Jace Amaro ever will. Amaro is a bust, too small, can't block, drops way too many passes....

Seriously? The guy is 6'5 255 and to you he is too small? On that ridiculous comment alone we can disregard the rest.  He dropped a few passes his rookie year. He also lead all rookie TEs in receptions and played better as the year went on. Last year he got hurt and missed the season. So again how exactly does that make him a bust again?   The lack of patience with young players by many on this board is unbelievable.  It is always stated that you typically need 3 YEARS to properly evaluate a player. Can we give the guy one more opportunity before we cut him?

Archived