Mark Sanchez bilked out of millions of dollars

AFJF

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

The fraud aside...  the LARGE houses you speak of have some of the worst advisors. Young, aggressive, commission driven.

They use funds recommended by the firm. the firm receives back door fees from these fund companies.

I would add, any mutual fund with an expense ratio above .65 should be avoided.

I'm not advocating for their non-brilliance. Only that if I, as a client said I want low risk and they put me in high risk behind my back, that I would/could recover my losses. Being purposefully vague here, but (though it wasn't me) I'm very familiar with an instance where this very thing happened. It was at a household name large house.  

I'm familiar with those types of funds with the types of exorbitant mgmt fees that average investor is blind to even being there. Not even counting any other potential behind the scenes "incentives" that aren't published in the prospectus. It's disgusting.

I'm not advocating for their non-brilliance. Only that if I, as a client said I want low risk and they put me in high risk behind my back, that I would/could recover my losses.

That depends on the type of investment contract you signed.

If you agree and sign to a discretionary account, the advisor/broker can trade at will and basically do anything he/she wants to do.

If you sign a non-discretionary account, the advisor/broker can not do anything without your verbal/written authorization.

6 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Good call, and once FINRA adopts the same rules for non-qualified accounts, commissioned sales will be a thing of the past.

I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. Hell, I'm not even confident the DOL rule will survive judicial scrutiny. 

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

That depends on the type of investment contract you signed.

If you agree and sign to a discretionary account, the advisor/broker can trade at will and basically do anything he/she wants to do.

If you sign a non-discretionary account, the advisor/broker can not do anything without your verbal/written authorization.

I'm not speaking to picking winning or losers in hindsight. If I sign something that says I want limited risk/exposure and someone invests my money in an inappropriate class of funds (or whatever risky purchases) it is more than merely actionable. 

But yes, if I said you have full discretion within the equities portion of my portfolio, then sucks to be me if I don't like it in hindsight, even if the investment house had the funds to make me whole again (which this scumbag surely does not have).

This is different altogether, if Mark is to be believed. Or anyway, it would seem at least somewhat non-discretionary, if he said it was ok to go in for $100K of his account. It suggests he was being asked.  Further, the other allegations are that signatures were forged. If he was at a big bank or large house he'd get that back. It's such bad publicity, what with these guys being famous, that it would never make the papers and would have already been settled to avoid such embarrassment.  

I'm not speaking to picking winning or losers in hindsight. If I sign something that says I want limited risk/exposure and someone invests my money in an inappropriate class of funds (or whatever risky purchases) it is more than merely actionable. 

But yes, if I said you have full discretion within the equities portion of my portfolio, then sucks to be me if I don't like it in hindsight, even if the investment house had the funds to make me whole again (which this scumbag surely does not have).

This is different altogether, if Mark is to be believed. Or anyway, it would seem at least somewhat non-discretionary, if he said it was ok to go in for $100K of his account. It suggests he was being asked.  Further, the other allegations are that signatures were forged. If he was at a big bank or large house he'd get that back. It's such bad publicity, what with these guys being famous, that it would never make the papers and would have already been settled to avoid such embarrassment.  

There are only two ways Sanchez got screwed on that investment:

1) He signed a discretionary contract.

2) He was a victim of fraud.

31 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

There are only two ways Sanchez got screwed on that investment:

1) He signed a discretionary contract.

2) He was a victim of fraud.

Ultimately the way he got screwed was giving someone else the keys to his safe and saying "Please don't steal any of my stuff."

11 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What kind of company is it?

It's called Sendrax. They've got some new kind of technique for televising opera. Some sort of electronic thingy.

What could go wrong?  Still funny stuff after all these years.

13 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

No , I simply dont want/think its appropriate to discuss business on a JETS site. I have no other methods.  Its 1 percent and it is less as the account is above certain levels.

Lol I only asked because you brought it up. 

I feel bad for Sancho.  This guy flat out lied about what he would do with the money.  A lot of guys give their money to money managers without specific instructions.  Apparently, Mark told him only 100 grand on sports ticket companies.  Scary investment either way, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Funny, I was reading about Madoff  some time back, and he's still cavalier and unfazed about his crimes. One son hung himself, the other kicked the pail in the clink, he ruined tons of people, and he flat out doesn't give a rat's ass.  He pretends that he's sorry, he pretends to care about any of it is my take. He's not getting out, so paying lip service doesn't help him one way or the other. That level of sociopathy is amazing to me. Scamming is as old as modern man, which essentially goes back 600,000 years. Ain't changing any time soon. How 'bout never.

Archived