Quincy Enunwa’s ~ ~ ~

kelly

Bring up Quincy Enunwa’s name to anyone associated with the Jets, and you’re sure to get a mixture of responses. None of them negative, not at all, just no one quite knows one way to describe him.

To quarterback Geno Smith, he’s a reliable target. To offensive coordinator Chan Gailey, he’s a valuable weapon. To fellow wideoutBrandon Marshall, he’s the next Martellus Bennett.

Ask 100 people, get 100 answers.

The crazy thing ? He was almost nothing 12 months ago.

“We weren’t sure if he was a guy that was going to be able to make our team” Jets receivers coach Karl Dorrell said at minicamp last week.Enunwa has come a long way from roster-bubble player, to key contributor on the Jets offense. When injuries depleted New York’s tight end position in 2015, instead of signing someone off the street, the Jets elected to work with what they had. They studied their roster, saw this stocky, 6-2, 225-pound wideout, and decided to start using him as an h-back.

It took Enunwa a bit to get comfortable, but eventually, the Jets sixth-round pick in the 2014 NFL draft began to make a name for himself. In 12 games, he caught 22 passes for 315 yards.“He really had a good year last year,” Dorrell said. “He was a very valuable aspect to our offense. He made some very clutch catches at the end of the season that really helped us get some wins.”

“Clutch catches” may be a bit of an understatement. Enunwa’s 45-yard catch-and-run against the New England Patriots Week 16 set up the Jets game-winning touchdown in overtime.With tight end Jace Amaro now healthy, Enunwa worked primarily as a receiver during last week’s minicamp. When the Jets went to a three-wide formation, he trotted on the field each time with the likes of Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

He’s been impressive, too. His route running (his biggest criticism coming out of Nebraska) is noticeably improved and his hands (he dropped several balls last year) seem more sound. Speaking to Jets Wire by his locker, Enunwa said he’s been working to build consistency.“I don’t wanna put any personal stats or goals out there,” Enunwa said. “I just wanna build on last year, get better than I was. That’s really the biggest goal.

“Last year, I know I left a lot of plays out there. I know there are a lot of plays I could have made. Coming into this year, I really wanna make up for those.”Enunwa’s strong play hasn’t gone unnoticed. He’s earned rave reviews from head coach Todd Bowles, Gailey and others. See, Enunwa always had the physical talent — he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds at his NFL Combine, and in college easily did a 58-inch box jump. He just needed to fine-tune his game.

He’s worked to do that, Dorrell says, and it shows.

“He’s off to a really good start this spring,” Dorrell said. “I think he’s cleaned up his route running; he looks smoother getting in and out of breaks and catching the ball. I’m very happy with the progress he’s made.”And that’s why, for a player the Jets had a hard time envisioning making their roster last year, it’s now difficult to imagine New York taking the field without him.

Oh what a difference a year makes, right?

>      http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/06/22/quincy-enunwa-was-nearly-cut-by-jets-now-a-key-contributor/

15 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

The Jets will go 3Wide with some beasts at the positions. Match up football with the Jets having the edge often.

That is the one thing, they can go 3 or 4  wide and really be able to run the ball, because our WR have good size on nickle and dime backs.

12 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Enunwa's problem last year was dropped balls.  He's got an opening here to get the 3rd wideout spot.  But I would not rule out K Thompkins, either.

Kenbrell Thompkins isn't a very good Wr,( butterfingers) as The Jets seem to have younger Wr with way more upside than him .  I would be shocked if he found himself on their 53 man roster. 

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Kenbrell Thompkins isn't a very good Wr,( butterfingers) as The Jets seem to have younger Wr with way more upside than him .  I would be shocked if he found himself on their 53 man roster. 

Sorry, imo that's a bs post.  Thompkins showed something good last season.  Your post is a set up so that if he doesn't make it, he sucked all along, and if he does, it's because the Jets did not have enough on the depth chart ahead of him.  BS.  He looked good when he got in there last year.

2 hours ago, Big Blocker said:

Sorry, imo that's a bs post.  Thompkins showed something good last season.  Your post is a set up so that if he doesn't make it, he sucked all along, and if he does, it's because the Jets did not have enough on the depth chart ahead of him.  BS.  He looked good when he got in there last year.

That is an honest post, as I am very familiar with the player as he played for the Raiders.    Again Jmo when the Jets 53 man roster is announced, don't expect Kenbrell Thompkins to be on that list.

He has bounced around a lot of teams already for a reason( Jag Wr).

So when the Jets come to the same conclusion about Kenbrell Thompkins -  the Patriots, and the Raiders already did.  Remember who told you the truth.

You can have the opinion Kenbrell Thompkins can be a nice piece to the Jets Wr Corp, but just be ready to be disappointed.

He's a huge guy that looks the part of a true playmaker. The only caveat is.... He can't catch a cold. The fact is, he drops way too many balls and if it keeps up his playing time will soon be disappearing. He's also from the SLAPAHO tribe.....

I like Enunwa as a role player... just don't ask him to be mr. reliable #3... he's not a natural wide out. He's at his best as the 4th option in a H-back/tweener role who runs short drags and slants. Get the ball in his hands, and he can do some damage... ask him to run a wheel, flag or post... *alligator arms*

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

He's a huge guy that looks the part of a true playmaker. The only caveat is.... He can't catch a cold. The fact is, he drops way too many balls and if it keeps up his playing time will soon be disappearing. He's also from the SLAPAHO tribe.....

lol slapaho 

23 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

marshall, decker, enunwa and amaro is some serious height.

Not to mention rookie WR Charone Peake who is 6'4" and fast, fast, fast. Jets should have some serious mismatches against smallish CB's. 

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Again Jmo when the Jets 53 man roster is announced, don't expect Kenbrell Thompkins to be on that list.

I completely agree. That drop he had on the sidelines - I think it was against the Pats - showed he lacks concentration and we don't need any more Stephen Hill's.

Archived