Knicks trade for Derrick Rose- OFFICIAL

Matt39

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yeah, laugh it up. Between Rose and Carmelo we're 40% of the way toward giving your clone wars idea a real run.

The issue is Dolan going nuclear when he finds out Rose sucks and starts trading away picks again.

21 hours ago, SMC said:

Yes, I know, but today is a good day for me.  On my pro bono case I won a 5 year order of protection for my client against her abuser husband in Family Court.  Let me enjoy this moment topped off with good news about the Knicks.

But remember, in the end it's all about Porzingis.

????

3 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Calderon was the worst starting pg anywhere last year and it's not close.  Played 0 defense and couldn't run the offense.  Guy has no dribble and is slower than molasses

Rose is an expiring contract and he's playing for his next contract next year.  He looked a lot better second half of last season

The Bulls sucked last year because Hoiberg was an idiot who benched Noah 

Agreed on Calderone, but Rose wasn't much better offensively.

Yes he's an expiring contract, but rumor has it the Bulls traded him because he was looking for another max deal when this one is done. You had better hope the Knicks don't take him up on that.

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes he's an expiring contract, but rumor has it the Bulls traded him because he was looking for another max deal when this one is done. You had better hope the Knicks don't take him up on that.

I don't think there's too much to take from last year regarding what he is or isn't capable of anymore. That Bulls team was a confused mess under Hoiberg and more importantly him and Butler clearly didn't belong playing together. The style of both guys demands that they create off the dribble and neither are all that great playing off the ball. Rose became the one between the two of them that had to go against both those things.

On June 23, 2016 at 4:00 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Knicks aren't resigning Rose unless he has a monster year and plays 70 games

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The return is cap space. It's probably worth seeing what they use that cap space on before reaching any conclusions. 

How did they create cap space? Rose and the three people he was traded for was pretty much even money. They didn't create anything in 2016 and I don't think they'll be all that successful in getting guys to come play in 2017. All they did was create two more holes that they'll have a hard time filling. 

12 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

When did Robin Lopez become Bill Russell but better?

He didn't, but any player you're getting to replace him is going to command more money for a slightly better return. They could have sent a lot less to Chicago for an expiring contract of a used to be good player.

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He didn't, but any player you're getting to replace him is going to command more money for a slightly better return. They could have sent a lot less to Chicago for an expiring contract of a used to be good player.

Lopez was going to make $13 million next season and another 3 years on his deal.  Your acting like his contract was chump change

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

There was really no reason to put Lopez in that deal. But, Knicks. 

13 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Lopez was going to make $13 million next season and another 3 years on his deal.  Your acting like his contract was chump change

No, I'm not. But 13 million and 3 more years is less than anything they're going to pay Noah or Howard or whomever else than bring in. They didn't make the best use of their assets in the trade. I'm not sure what you're failing to understand here. The only good aspect about the trade was ridding themselves of Calderone, but they could have flipped him alone or stretched him. They gave up way to much for a 1 year player that might not even get them to the playoffs.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No, I'm not. But 13 million and 3 more years is less than anything they're going to pay Noah or Howard or whomever else than bring in. They didn't make the best use of their assets in the trade. I'm not sure what you're failing to understand here. The only good aspect about the trade was ridding themselves of Calderone, but they could have flipped him alone or stretched him. They gave up way to much for a 1 year player that might not even get them to the playoffs.

hqdefault.jpg

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

There was really no reason to put Lopez in that deal. But, Knicks. 

Uhm, according to reports RoLo was the main guy Bulls wanted because they knew they were losing both Noah and Gasol.

Eric Gordon on Phil's radar. I have no idea what he's going to cost but if it's anything reasonable that would be a fantastic addition. Injuries have completely derailed who he could have been but the guy can still shoot his ass off and create some space on the floor for Rose.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

Uhm, according to reports RoLo was the main guy Bulls wanted because they knew they were losing both Noah and Gasol.

Obviously considering he was the best player in the trade. Rose had no value other than being an expiring. There was no reason to give up an asset like Lopez just to create buzz that will last till Christmas at best.

Wow Robin Lopez has suddenly become the greatest defensive center in the history of basketball. How did we win just 32 games with such a great roster

If we don't get Noah we can get Tyson Chandler from the Suns for basically nothing

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Eric Gordon on Phil's radar. I have no idea what he's going to cost but if it's anything reasonable that would be a fantastic addition. Injuries have completely derailed who he could have been but the guy can still shoot his ass off and create some space on the floor for Rose.

He'd be a good sixth man off the bench and can start in place of Rose when he's injured

On June 28, 2016 at 9:29 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Noah is better than Lopez.  Yeah Ofcourse he will cost more he's a better player

As far as Howard goes.  I don't want him but don't think it would be the catastrophe everyone is making it out to be.  The Rockets with all their nonsense would have easily been the 2 or 3 seed in the east with Howard and his bs 

We're not getting Durant or any other big time free agents this year or any other year.  GS has a ton of cap room, so do the Lakers and Heat FA's will always pick those places over us

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Noah is better than Lopez.  Yeah Ofcourse he will cost more he's a better player

As far as Howard goes.  I don't want him but don't think it would be the catastrophe everyone is making it out to be.  The Rockets with all their nonsense would have easily been the 2 or 3 seed in the east with Howard and his bs 

We're not getting Durant or any other big time free agents this year or any other year.  GS has a ton of cap room, so do the Lakers and Heat FA's will always pick those places over us

Not by the amount of money difference that he'll command, and not by much at all, actually. He's actually 3 years older, too.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Not by the amount of money difference that he'll command, and not by much at all, actually. He's actually 3 years older, too.

You realize even if they gave Noah the max they'd still have about $20 mil in cap room next summer because of rose coming off the books?

59 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

You realize even if they gave Noah the max they'd still have about $20 mil in cap room next summer because of rose coming off the books?

You just don't get it. I'm not going to explain it to you again. The Knicks made a bad trade. Period. All the cap room in the world does them no good if they can't get good players to come.

54 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You just don't get it. I'm not going to explain it to you again. The Knicks made a bad trade. Period. All the cap room in the world does them no good if they can't get good players to come.

If the bolded part is your position, the unbolded part is premature. At most, it's incomplete before we can see who the Knicks bring in or don't bring in. 

Ultimately, we weren't sniffing any finals with Robin ******* Lopez - so to get rid of him now as opposed to after we paid him a bunch of pointless money, is the opportunity cost of freeing up roster space, cap room, and putting the league on notice that we're looking for stars. 

48 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If the bolded part is your position, the unbolded part is premature. At most, it's incomplete before we can see who the Knicks bring in or don't bring in. 

Ultimately, we weren't sniffing any finals with Robin ******* Lopez - so to get rid of him now as opposed to after we paid him a bunch of pointless money, is the opportunity cost of freeing up roster space, cap room, and putting the league on notice that we're looking for stars. 

What players would the Knicks have to sign in free agency this season to be legit contenders? Do they have a chance with any of them? Who actually wants to play with Melo?

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What players would the Knicks have to sign in free agency this season to be legit contenders? Do they have a chance with any of them? Who actually wants to play with Melo?

KD. Yes. You'd have to ask them.

I don't know whether this is a good trade or not yet. If you want to call it bad because you think RoLo and Jerian were going to bring us to the promised land and will now be doing that for Chicago instead, ok cool.

However, to call it a bad trade because you think RoLo at his strike price is better than JoNo at his - is pretty bogus. Neither were going to get us anywhere anyway. I'd rather blow it up and at least have the opportunity to sign KD this year or Westbrook next year, than carry forward with $13m of RoLo. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

We don't know yet. Free agency has not begun. That's kind of the point.

Archived