Brief Ignorant Rant on Jets Rewards

Cornfed

Hi, all.  I've never received any benefit from the Jets Rewards program.  Last year, I drained my points into the lottery for a trip to the London game.  Note that I didn't want to go to that game.  I just didn't see anything else that interested me.

Today I was enticed by a note about upgrading to a suite for one of the preseason games.  I thought this was a great idea to make it more worthwhile to attend those games.  Turns out I can't combine my points across my two tickets, so I couldn't reach the minimum bid.  I am 100% certain others here have complained about this, but it never sunk in.  Why the f can't we combine points on tickets in the same account?  I pay for both of mine.  WTF?

Frustrated in a small way (I really don't give a hoot as I have low expectations for these rewards), I decided to drain my account today so I could safely delete future messages without having to read them.  I first realized that I would be leaving points on the table since the rewards are priced as big round numbers.  I got over that and opted for stemless wine glasses with Jets logos on them (since I'm classy like that) from one ticket's rewards and coffee mugs from the other.  Note that it was a hard choice to pick the cups over Jets rewards coasters.

So I go through all this and now I have a few thousand unusable points sitting there but, whatever, I'll get my mugs and cups.  I go to my inbox and I see two coupons from the Jets I'm supposed to print and give to my Jets rep during the 2015 rewards cycle?!?  What the f is that?!?!?  I don't exactly bump into my Jets rep on a regular basis during the summer.  Doesn't this cycle end in July?  I am really angry at myself.  I haven't been immediately deleting emails from the Jets on Rewards but have instead put them aside for future consideration.  I finally decide to go in and act, and I'm stuck with useless PDF coupons for someone I'll never see?!?!?!?!?

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - in my defense I said up front that this was an "ignorant" rant.  I just got a note saying the items would be shipped in 4-6 weeks.  So I take that last paragraph back.  And that was the most important one, to be fair.  Yes, I am getting utter crap for my points.  But at least the crap will be mailed to me.

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I will check back to see when SAR I shows up and explains the Jets reward points are a gift from Woody and he traded his in for two weeks in Aruba for his entire family. 

PSLs! Investment Gold!

14 hours ago, Cornfed said:

Hi, all.  I've never received any benefit from the Jets Rewards program.  Last year, I drained my points into the lottery for a trip to the London game.  Note that I didn't want to go to that game.  I just didn't see anything else that interested me.

Today I was enticed by a note about upgrading to a suite for one of the preseason games.  I thought this was a great idea to make it more worthwhile to attend those games.  Turns out I can't combine my points across my two tickets, so I couldn't reach the minimum bid.  I am 100% certain others here have complained about this, but it never sunk in.  Why the f can't we combine points on tickets in the same account?  I pay for both of mine.  WTF?

Frustrated in a small way (I really don't give a hoot as I have low expectations for these rewards), I decided to drain my account today so I could safely delete future messages without having to read them.  I first realized that I would be leaving points on the table since the rewards are priced as big round numbers.  I got over that and opted for stemless wine glasses with Jets logos on them (since I'm classy like that) from one ticket's rewards and coffee mugs from the other.  Note that it was a hard choice to pick the cups over Jets rewards coasters.

So I go through all this and now I have a few thousand unusable points sitting there but, whatever, I'll get my mugs and cups.  I go to my inbox and I see two coupons from the Jets I'm supposed to print and give to my Jets rep during the 2015 rewards cycle?!?  What the f is that?!?!?  I don't exactly bump into my Jets rep on a regular basis during the summer.  Doesn't this cycle end in July?  I am really angry at myself.  I haven't been immediately deleting emails from the Jets on Rewards but have instead put them aside for future consideration.  I finally decide to go in and act, and I'm stuck with useless PDF coupons for someone I'll never see?!?!?!?!?

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

the rewards program is one great big farce.  All this promoting and most fans don't even earn enough points for a Chrebet bobble head. 

15 hours ago, Cornfed said:

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

I complained about this stupid program last year and no-one cared . Instead of getting mugs , flags and bobble heads , they should let us use the points to recude our season ticket bills . Something useful .

15 hours ago, Cornfed said:

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

PS - the wine glasses are for midgets !!!

4 minutes ago, no psls said:

I complained about this stupid program last year and no-one cared . Instead of getting mugs , flags and bobble heads , they should let us use the points to recude our season ticket bills . Something useful .

id like to be able to use the points for concessions.  Not at all interested in the garbage trinkets they currently offer.  Sure... one fan will win a trip to London or something equivalent each year and then the Jets make it out to be a big deal "see how great the Rewards program is!  Joe Schmo won a trip to London!"  But the other 70,000 fans barely qualify for a worthless midget wine glass or a retarded bobble head doll.  Hey... I think you can still get an autographed picture of Clyde Gates!

I've said it before and I firmly believe it: The Rewards Program is pure garbage.  Its there to make everyone think there is some extra value in being a STH, and it is completely false.  One of the biggest scams ever imposed on STH's. And the Jets know it but  continue to pretend that they are bestowing great benefits to their STH's.  Shame on the organzation for perpetrating such a farce.  

Once again, just as they have done for the majority of their existence, the Jets treat their most loyal fans like we are a stupid flock of sheep.  Just shameful.

It really is true.  For the amount of money some people spend, I would have to think it wouldn't be too severe of an expense to toss a little back.  I have 2 in the LSL + green parking + I probably drop $40 in concessions most weeks (hot dog and a cookie and a water for the kid plus 1-2 beers for me.....actually that's probably more than $50 in concessions).

What is that - more than a $4k investment on my part, right?  Would throwing a few hot pretzels my way hurt them too badly?  How much does a hot pretzel cost the Jets?  Like 9 cents?  But a surprise pretzel on a warm day to go along with my beer....I'd like that WAY more than that Clyde Gates autograph (love that example, by the way).

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hopefully one of those thick/beefy ones, like those that came with my Johnny Bench Batter Up.

I had a rep this year who treated me awesome.  Sent me a Revis autographed football when I bitched about ticket prices.  She's gone now.  I dont hear from my rep anymore...

On 6/23/2016 at 5:12 PM, Fed Hill Jet said:

I had a rep this year who treated me awesome.  Sent me a Revis autographed football when I bitched about ticket prices.  She's gone now.  I dont hear from my rep anymore...

She was fired for giving away signed Revis footballs .

On 6/22/2016 at 5:16 PM, The Crusher said:

I will check back to see when SAR I shows up and explains the Jets reward points are a gift from Woody and he traded his in for two weeks in Aruba for his entire family. 

PSL's were a gift from God that allowed diehard fans born too late and stuck on a horrific waitlist to finally get the seats they wanted.

The fact that this bogus Rewards Program sucks is immaterial, though embarrassing for the franchise.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

PSL's were a gift from God that allowed diehard fans born too late and stuck on a horrific waitlist to finally get the seats they wanted.

The fact that this bogus Rewards Program sucks is immaterial, though embarrassing for the franchise.

SAR I

Glad you said "finally get the seats they wanted" and not deserved. 

35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The undeserving: The hundreds/thousands of Giants fans that used to sit between the 20 yard lines in the lowers and Mezz for Jets games just because they couldn't get tix to the Giants.

The deserving: The true Jets fans who were forced to sit in nosebleeds or in the corners/endzones because Giants fans and scalpers possessed a huge proportion of the good seats.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

They deserved them too, especially after all that time waiting.  Speaking for myself, I paid my dues.  1988- 2002, blocked out of the stadium, pre-StubHub era, impossible to easily find tickets let alone at reasonable prices, 15 years of Pennysaver ads, walking the Giants Stadium parking lot for scalpers, the Port Authority bus ride of shame at 1:15 when you realize there are no tickets to be scalped in the parking lots, getting home at halftime missing the first half completely.

I suffered.  We deserved our chance at seats.  PSL's are investment gold indeed.

SAR I

59 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The undeserving: The hundreds/thousands of Giants fans that used to sit between the 20 yard lines in the lowers and Mezz for Jets games just because they couldn't get tix to the Giants.

The deserving: The true Jets fans who were forced to sit in nosebleeds or in the corners/endzones because Giants fans and scalpers possessed a huge proportion of the good seats.

+1000

And let's not forget the undeserving fans who sold half their seats for 3x face value, attended the other half at no charge, made a few grand for their trouble.  This happened routinely, was part of Jets season ticket culture.  I knew a guy who had 12 such seats, was so pissed when the PSL process became official, he literally was pocketing $20,000 a year from brokers off of decent fans like you and me.

Not any more. 

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

They deserved them too, especially after all that time waiting.  Speaking for myself, I paid my dues.  1988- 2002, blocked out of the stadium, pre-StubHub era, impossible to easily find tickets let alone at reasonable prices, 15 years of Pennysaver ads, walking the Giants Stadium parking lot for scalpers, the Port Authority bus ride of shame at 1:15 when you realize there are no tickets to be scalped in the parking lots, getting home at halftime missing the first half completely.

I suffered.  We deserved our chance at seats.  PSL's are investment gold indeed.

SAR I

SAR

You are being given hard time a lot on this board and some of it is warranted but this doesn't change the fact that you have paid your dues. Not in a million years, I would go to parking lot and hope for a ticket and go back home if I couldn't find a ticket. If you did this multiple times, you are a much better Jet fan than me. Hats off to you. 

12 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

SAR

You are being given hard time a lot on this board and some of it is warranted but this doesn't change the fact that you have paid your dues. Not in a million years, I would go to parking lot and hope for a ticket and go back home if I couldn't find a ticket. If you did this multiple times, you are a much better Jet fan than me. Hats off to you. 

Thank you Fib, I appreciate the kind words.

I lived in Queens and Manhattan for that 15 year period I was on the wait list and locked out, longer than that if you take it back to high school circa 1982, living in the city I didn't need a car, and we had no internet back then, no cellphones either.  To get a ticket to at Jets game without buddies who were season ticket holders you either scoured the Pennysaver or Newsday classifieds or contacted a shady broker who would charge ridiculous prices.  Remember, this was back when mezzanine seats were $20.  Brokers would want $100 to $200 for a good game because their main customers were corporations using tickets as gifts for potential clients.  It was awful.

So the only way I could get to 2-3 games a year would be to get on the train to Port Authority, get on a bus to Giants Stadium, and walk the parking lot with cash in my pocket looking for seats.  Sometimes I'd find a guy at 2x face value and I'd get in.  Sometimes they'd want 5x face value and I couldn't afford it.  Most times there simply weren't enough seats and I'd get shut out.  Others who went through this in the pre-internet days will remember the ticket panic at the Giants Stadium bus stop after kickoff.  You'd have 100 people like me who couldn't get tickets, you'd have a scalper with a single seat show up and announce "I've got one seat!" and then watch 50 guys race around him like starving hordes at a bread line.  Take a girlfriend with you to this and it was just humiliating.  Then, on the bus, no phone, no internet, no radio, you'd get off the bus at Port Authority and race to a sports bar just to get a score, pray you'd make it back to your apartment by the start of the third quarter.

So, yes, I paid my dues.  And so did all the other waitlisters.  It was awful.  And totally preventable.  All the Jets had to do was weed out the carpetbaggers re-selling their tickets to brokers.  It took a new stadium and the PSL process for that to finally happen.  As such, the money it cost us was 'gouging'.  It was liberating.  And for the Giants Stadium season ticket holders down between the 20's who made tons of cash off of those seats on my back, well, I have no pity for them now.  They didn't pity me back then.

SAR I

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

There were plenty of scalpers even after I gave tickets away to friends and neighbors (Jets fans) then decided to go at the last minute I never once couldn't buy a ticket in the parking lot. 

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

There were plenty of scalpers even after I gave tickets away to friends and neighbors (Jets fans) then decided to go at the last minute I never once couldn't buy a ticket in the parking lot. 

That's because the Polo Grounds never sold out.

SAR I

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

Speaking for myself, I paid my dues.  1988- 2002, blocked out of the stadium, pre-StubHub era, impossible to easily find tickets let alone at reasonable prices, 15 years of Pennysaver ads, walking the Giants Stadium parking lot for scalpers, the Port Authority bus ride of shame at 1:15 when you realize there are no tickets to be scalped in the parking lots, getting home at halftime missing the first half completely.

I suffered.

SAR I

Good news is no one could p*ss on the beemer.

Archived