CFL on ESPN tonight!

Rangers9

If you're dying for some football tonight is the start of the official CFL season and ESPN is televising 20 of their games (and probably 60 live streamed on ESPN3).  Tonight we can watch the Ti-Cats vs the Argos on ESPN News at 7:30 pm ET. Here is their schedule (on various ESPN stations): http://www.cfl.ca/2016/06/16/cfl-espn-unveil-2016-us-broadcast-schedule/. As most of you already know ESPN also televises AFL games. To me, Arena Football is an inferior sport but I still love it and when the Dragons were still on the Island and played at the Nassau Coliseum I'd go to some of their games. I even met Aaron Garcia one time. I have a strong feeling that once the refurbished NC is completed they will bring back the sport if not the Dragons themselves. Here is the AFL TV schedule and as with the CFL many games are live streamed on Watch Espn (ESPN 3):http://www.cfl.ca/2016/06/16/cfl-espn-unveil-2016-us-broadcast-schedule/

14 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If you're dying for some football tonight is the start of the official CFL season and ESPN is televising 20 of their games (and probably 60 live streamed on ESPN3).  Tonight we can watch the Ti-Cats vs the Argos on ESPN News at 7:30 pm ET. Here is their schedule (on various ESPN stations): http://www.cfl.ca/2016/06/16/cfl-espn-unveil-2016-us-broadcast-schedule/. As most of you already know ESPN also televises AFL games. To me, Arena Football is an inferior sport but I still love it and when the Dragons were still on the Island and played at the Nassau Coliseum I'd go to some of their games. I even met Aaron Garcia one time. I have a strong feeling that once the refurbished NC is completed they will bring back the sport if not the Dragons themselves. Here is the AFL TV schedule and as with the CFL many games are live streamed on Watch Espn (ESPN 3):http://www.cfl.ca/2016/06/16/cfl-espn-unveil-2016-us-broadcast-schedule/

I wish I could remember which game it was one, but it was around 2009 or 2010 and I just so happened to turn to I think it was ESPN 2 and it was a cfl game in the 4th quarter.  Out of sheer boredom I watched it. Still to this day one of the most exciting sports games I have ever seen in my life. It was a tie game and there were about 4 or 5 touchdowns to alternate leads by both teams in the final 4 minutes with each touchdown being a ridiculous catch or run. I wish I could remember the game but it was unbelievable. So since then I now enjoy CFL when nfl or ncaa football isn't on. 

26 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I will need a list of NFL players that are now playing in the CFL and the reason why.  Want to impress all my Canadien friends at the CFL kickoff party tonight.  

Chris Rainey, Adarius Bowman, Joe McKnight, Fred Bennett, Drew Tate, Drew Wiley, Brandon Banks, Jeremiah Masoli, Ricky Ray, Vernon Adams, Vaughn Martin

Just a few, I take it they will serve Canadian Beer, poutine. montreal smoked meat and such?

The CFL puts out a solid product. There's definitely some talent there.

The AFL is unwatchable to me. It's such a radically different game, and I just can't get into it.

You just need someone who knows the game of AFL to run you through it. Honestly, it's a tough, fast, simple, fantastic game that really should be more popular in the states. It's what keeps me going during the summer. I've played the game for a decade and represented the US a few times in international games. Learn a little about the game, and show up to a local aussie hangout and watch the grand final in october, you'll be hooked.

51 minutes ago, the Claw said:

You just need someone who knows the game of AFL to run you through it. Honestly, it's a tough, fast, simple, fantastic game that really should be more popular in the states. It's what keeps me going during the summer. I've played the game for a decade and represented the US a few times in international games. Learn a little about the game, and show up to a local aussie hangout and watch the grand final in october, you'll be hooked.

I'm sorry friend, but I think you're confusing the "AFL" that I'm referring to with Australian Rules Football. I'm talking about the Arena Football League, which is a modified version of American football.  

I'm sorry friend, but I think you're confusing the "AFL" that I'm referring to with Australian Rules Football. I'm talking about the Arena Football League, which is a modified version of American football.  

Gotcha! Totally forgot about Arena. Thought I could get another convert!

I used to like watching the NFL European league around this time of year because you would be able to see third string or bubble player talent from teams help improve their craft and we could see team representation with their helmet.  I believe that program would help the likes of Bryce Petty.  It helped players such as Kurt Warner.

6 hours ago, the Claw said:

Gotcha! Totally forgot about Arena. Thought I could get another convert!

No worries. 

When I was a kid my brother and I would watch Aussie Rules Football on ESPN (they occasionally aired some matches back then). We loved it. It looked like it was a lot of fun to play. 

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

I used to like watching the NFL European league around this time of year because you would be able to see third string or bubble player talent from teams help improve their craft and we could see team representation with their helmet.  I believe that program would help the likes of Bryce Petty.  It helped players such as Kurt Warner.

Yeah it's a shame that league isn't around anymore. It cost them a lot of money, but it improved the quality of play in the NFL.

Arena football is at a pretty low level in terms of player salaries. It was higher - still low by any other kind of standards-hey, guys in the SEC make a lot more:) - but after going out of business (the 2009 season was cancelled)  they did a restructuring and now salaries are $830 a game for vets and $775 for rookies. The CFL has a 5 mil per team salary cap and salaries on average are about 80-100k (USD) but established Qbs make more. 

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I like the CFL. There are so many former Ducks up there it's ridiculous. Arena Football is some kind of sick joke. How It stays in business I will never know.

Same here. The fact that they even had a spinoff league (af2) is mind-boggling. 

Archived