Christian Hackenberg called best "prospect" in 2016

Jet Nut

imagepng

An NFL analyst with ESPN since 2008 and a Super Bowl winning quarterback in 2000, Trent Dilfer is often asked during offseasons his opinion on players of the future, particularly signal callers. This week, in speaking with MMQB.com, Dilfer was queried who he thinks could be the most underrated among the newest class of rookies.

His answer should please Jets fans pondering the future of the team’s quarterback position.

“I would say Christian Hackenberg out of this year’s draft,” Dilfer said. “I personally thought he was the best prospect. In terms of a prospect, you can’t get much better than Christian. Every team looks at that differently in how they draft, but I think he is everything you are looking for, given the right situation and the right grooming period, he can be as good as anybody.”

He has the size and arm strength of an NFL passer, but concerns about accuracy have followed him from school and into the Jets’ OTAs and minicamp, where they revealed themselves again on a number of series. No one with the Jets seem concerned about that, believing those questions can be answered in the training camp and exhibition season, long before he’s required to take a snap in a regular game.

But, as far as Dilfer is concerned, Hackenberg already possesses an important quality needed by anyone who plays his position, and it’s not something that can be measured on a stat sheet or noted on a scout’s prospectus -- a head for the game. 

Only he wonders if the coaching infrastructure is in place to help develop it in the professional ranks.

“Too often in the NFL, the quarterback coach gets hired because of his X’s and O’s abilities, his football acumen, not necessarily his quarterback acumen,” Dilfer said. “The games become so much about what you do in the classroom and scheme. And what happens is there are not enough teachers in the quarterback room, guys who can teach the quarterback how to get better everyday. Drills, or whatever it is, where you are constantly working on your craft. 

“I don’t want to say it is everywhere—there are great quarterback coaches in the NFL—but I know there needs to be more. There are quarterbacks out there who don’t get the daily instruction needed to hone their craft. It’s hard to find quarterback coaches who can do both well, that are really good X-O guys and are really good training guys, too. The guys that are thriving the most in the NFL are the guys who have quarterback coaches who can do both things well.”

Their playbook and coaches did get the best out of their veteran quarterback last season, Ryan Fitzpatrick, who led the NFL’s No. 10 overall offense and threw a franchise record 31 single-season touchdowns in 2015. Can they get similar production out of Hackenberg? Given that they drafted him in the second round, they clearly believe so.

Just a thought about QB coaches who can do both the X's and O's as well as the mechanical side of the position.

I honestly think a former Jets QB is perfect for that job, Chad Pennington.

Wish he would consider taking a coaching job with the Jets working with the young kids.

What do you folks think?

11 minutes ago, fltflo said:

Just a thought about QB coaches who can do both the X's and O's as well as the mechanical side of the position.

Wish he would consider taking a coaching job with the Jets working with the young kids.

What do you folks think?

Don't remember for sure ... But think it was WCO that he basically ran back then ... If Chan Gailey sticks around for the next couple of years you'd like the QB Coach to be well versed in his scheme as well .. But as long as that transition seems to be reasonable CP has a lot going for him as a consideration 

As far as the original article ... Sure it's nice to hear something positive about our young prospect ... However, I'm not going to put very much weight behind words coming out of Dilfer's mouth

5 minutes ago, fltflo said:

What do you folks think?

I think that would be a great idea.  If he wants to that is.  Not sure what he is up to today or if coaching appeal to him

9 hours ago, fltflo said:

What do you folks think?

In case you missed Chad Pennington talking about Hack after the draft.  Would love the idea of Chad coaching him up.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Pennington-Hacks-Pro-Skill-Set-Is-There/19ba7964-2ab7-4963-b616-43e88df50e62

I really don't think Hackenberg needs Chad teaching him to always check down on third and longs in order to keep that completion percentage up.

Gailey has a damn good history with getting the most out of his QBs, so that's not going to be the problem.  Whether Hackenberg turns out to have what it takes is a different question.

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

No sh*t he's the best prospect of this class. Did anyone else get drafted at the exact same moment that Yoenis Cespedes hit a grand slam? No? Nobody did? Great. I'm glad we got that settled.

Is this legit? Dude got blessed and will be king of NY. 

Anybody think its at all possible that Hack is a much more accurate QB when playing actual games in a Pro Style offense? I mean, is it possible he;s simply more accuare while, you now, playing football?

I mean, footwork aside, wasn't he pretty accurate his first year in college before he was put into a primarily shotgun style offense by a dolt who got fired this year (Donovan)? 

Also, the Cespedes thing. 

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

I really don't think Hackenberg needs Chad teaching him to always check down on third and longs in order to keep that completion percentage up.

Gailey has a damn good history with getting the most out of his QBs, so that's not going to be the problem.  Whether Hackenberg turns out to have what it takes is a different question.

How dare you insult the silver Penny

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Is this legit? Dude got blessed and will be king of NY. 

100 percent legit.

Here is a post from right after it happened. 

On 4/29/2016 at 8:50 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Potential good omen here: Literally the same exact moment that the Jets drafted him, Yoenis Cespedes hit a grand slam which set a new Mets franchise record for most runs in an inning. No lie. Literally happened simultaneously. The pick popped up on my screen as the ball landed in left.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

Great Hackenberg is tied to the Mets. That's a scary thought. :)

Hopefully he isn't all hype  like the Mets Generation K pitching staff( Bill Pulsipher, Jason Isringhausen, and Paul Wilson ) which was going to turn the team fortunes around.    Only to disappoint as a group and pale in comparison to the Pitching staff they have today.

The most important thing for any NFL Qb is accuracy - this ability separates the good Qb , from the great Qb.   A Qb could be intelligent, and have great arm strength , but without accuracy will never develop into a top Qb.

Until Hackenberg improves his accuracy ( not as easy to do, as it sounds) than it's hard to take Hackenberg was the best  Qb prospect in this draft seriously.     It like a pitcher with 95-97 mile a hour fastball with no control, versus a pitcher who throws 90-92 with pinpoint accuracy. Which pitcher going to last longer in the majors.

Archived