Brexit

AFJF

Anybody else interested/watching?

Leaving the EU would kinda screw me over a bit but this vote is unreal.  No matter who wins, it's going to be a virtual dead heat.

I've been following it.  At first I was hoping they would stay in because most EU countries are pretty advanced, but after hearing Brits on the internet talking it over, now I see why many would want to leave it.  But it's a big step.  The markets certainly don't like the idea of the UK leaving, at least in the short run.

GBP plummeted 8% against USD in the last 3 hours. 

Oil dropped almost 5%, and Euro dropped 3% against USD. 

US Futures are down close to 4% and Asian stocks are down 3% so far. Historical night if Leave wins. This might be the beginning of collapse of European Union. 

This is almost over. 308 of 382 polling stations has reported and remaining stations are from England where Leave campaign has been the strongest. Leave is at 52% against Remain which is at 48%.

US is losing its biggest ally in European Union. This will shake countries like Spain, Protugal, Italy, Greece big time. If these 4 countries fall into some type of economic turmoil. expect a huge recession in the world. 

As of 11:43 PM Eastern GBP down 9.2% against USD, oil is down 5%, Euro is down 3.9% against USD. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. There goes my ******* 401K. I will take a big hit over this. I should have read this better.  

5 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

This is almost over. 308 of 382 polling stations has reported and remaining stations are from England where Leave campaign has been the strongest. Leave is at 52% against Remain which is at 48%.

US is losing its biggest ally in European Union. This will shake countries like Spain, Protugal, Italy, Greece big time. If these 4 countries fall into some type of economic turmoil. expect a huge recession in the world. 

As of 11:43 PM Eastern GBP down 9.2% against USD, oil is down 5%, Euro is down 3.9% against USD. Tomorrow will be an interesting day. There goes my ******* 401K. I will take a big hit over this. I should have read this better.  

It's not almost over...it's over.  BBC calling it for exit.

My Irish passport paperwork is being processed now as I thought it would matter.

Time to get to work on the English citizenship.

Bunch of Gloomy Gusses.  The market is always skittish about anything it isn't sure of.  Already some EU people are talking about just because the UK is leaving does not mean it can't have a special relationship with the EU in respect to  trade and other issues.  Remember that the UK never adopted the euro in the first place, so it really was never that far in the EU to begin with.

8 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

Bunch of Gloomy Gusses.  The market is always skittish about anything it isn't sure of.  Already some EU people are talking about just because the UK is leaving does not mean it can't have a special relationship with the EU in respect to  trade and other issues.  Remember that the UK never adopted the euro in the first place, so it really was never that far in the EU to begin with.

They've been part of the European trade bloc since 1973. It's going to change how the European economy has operated for the past forty years because the UK is such a large economy in Europe. It's also significant because Scotland and N. Ireland likely leave the UK and further risks problems while England learns to exist in a new economic norm. It will be problematic for Europe for a while but ultimately other economies in the EU will reach stability. It's England that is really at risk of long term economic injury.

Glad to see it. Probably wishful thinking, but I'd love for it to be the beginning of the end for the EU. Seriously, how the hell can people think that the unelected leaders like Juncker coming out with crap like "There can be no democratic choice against the European treaties." is acceptable? The utter contempt these bureaucrats have for the citizens of Europe is unbelievable.

Wouldn't put it past the EU to try to force the Brits to have another referendum, Christ knows the Eurotrash have forced the Irish into doing do every time they voted against their precious EUSSR in referendums.

None of this would have happened had they left the EEC the way it was, but nope, we couldn't have national governments making their own laws for their own countries. Everything must be dictated to from Brussels.  

4 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

They've been part of the European trade bloc since 1973. It's going to change how the European economy has operated for the past forty years because the UK is such a large economy in Europe. It's also significant because Scotland and N. Ireland likely leave the UK and further risks problems while England learns to exist in a new economic norm. It will be problematic for Europe for a while but ultimately other economies in the EU will reach stability. It's England that is really at risk of long term economic injury.

EU leaders have already started talking about a special economic relationship between the UK and the EU.  It is very much in the interests of both the EU and the UK to make this thing as painless as possible, and if a few special treaties between the EU and the UK can smooth things out and get things back to normal more easily, I suspect we will see them.  Right now everyone is trying to get on TV by screaming, "The sky is falling".

2 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

EU leaders have already started talking about a special economic relationship between the UK and the EU.  It is very much in the interests of both the EU and the UK to make this thing as painless as possible, and if a few special treaties between the EU and the UK can smooth things out and get things back to normal more easily, I suspect we will see them.  Right now everyone is trying to get on TV by screaming, "The sky is falling".

Well said.  It's in everyone's best interest to make this transition as smooth as possible.  It's very likely that all involved nations are going to work together to keep the terms of existing trade agreements in place.

As usual, we are seeing the media run with doom and gloom, sensationalist nonsense.

I bought this dip, and I'll buy the next one if the markets continue downward.

15 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

There goes my ******* 401K. I will take a big hit over this. I should have read this better.  

With a 401K account, you should be in it for the long haul.  Short term fluctuations are meaningless.

Continue your contributions as usual, and let dollar cost averaging work in your favor.

Well said.  It's in everyone's best interest to make this transition as smooth as possible.  It's very likely that all involved nations are going to work together to keep the terms of existing trade agreements in place.

As usual, we are seeing the media run with doom and gloom, sensationalist nonsense.

I bought this dip, and I'll buy the next one if the markets continue downward.

One man is responsible for this world-wide economic disaster and the loss of billions of dollars in lost market capitalization in one day.

And that would be David Cameron.

Back in 2013, he promised if re-elected, and to appease a small faction of his own Tory party, that he would place an in-out referendum on the ballot.

Back in 2013, there was less than 10% chance that the Brits would vote to leave the EU.

Unfortunately, he didn't realize things could change in a 3-year period.

On 6/24/2016 at 3:58 PM, munchmemory said:

Yes, and the citizens of 27 other countries have lost the right to move to the UK and compete for the jobs with UK youth.  The UK has the fifth largest economy in the world, many of the EU people coming will be willing to work for less because they are used to a lower standard of living.  Of course, there will still be immigration into Britain as there was before the EU formed, but the UK will be able to tailor its immigration policy to their own needs and responsibilities, as opposed to directives from the Brussels government.

Nothing against the EU, I think it's a pretty excellent collection of nations, but it was understood when they formed it that any nation can leave if they feel like it, and Britain just exercised their option.  This writer does realize that the UK will continue to trade with Europe, right?

Stock market will bounce back no reason to panic- as it is I read it will take two years for UK to separate = an eternity

Interesting- that young people on a whole wanted to remain while older people wanted to leave

16 minutes ago, faba said:

Interesting- that young people on a whole wanted to remain while older people wanted to leave

75% of voters between the ages of 18-24 voted to remain. But what they don't mention, is that only around 25% of that age bracket who were entitled to vote bothered getting up off their ass to do so. So about 20% of them actually voted to Remain.

But no, it's all the old people's fault.

Sucks for me as an eu guy if i wanted live or work there.  I wasnt planning on it but whatever. 

I really dont see thw benfit for the UK to stay.  They had an influx of cheap labor from eastern europe taking jobs and social services. IF i were a brit I would have voted to leave.  THe UK never was ruled by anyone until the EU came about.  Nothing wrong with a little nationalism. 

The funny thing is now everyone is regretting it and thwy want a second vote lol.  On top of that, the Netherlands are also looking to leave.  It all might just fall apart soon. 

In the age of terror you cant not be able to control your borders and have uncontrolled immigration.  Europe is a mess now especially now that they have let millions of disenchanted muslim refugees in.  ITS probably going to get worse foe the EU and better for the UK.  And better for us.... 

Kudos to all for keeping a political issue cordial on a non political site.  Death to the first dope who ruins it

5 hours ago, faba said:

St ock market will bounce back no reason to panic- as it is I read it will take two years for UK to separate = an eternity

Older people more easily recognize mistakes.

7 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

75% of voters between the ages of 18-24 voted to remain. But what they don't mention, is that only around 25% of that age bracket who were entitled to vote bothered getting up off their ass to do so. So about 20% of them actually voted to Remain.

But no, it's all the old people's fault.

Its a great lesson on why you need to vote.  No matter what. 

Its kinda sad how silly these young brits are acting now demanding a revote.  Ive been reading comments like"i just voted to leave on principle not expecting that we would leave"

Wtf brits are just as dumb as americans apparently 

Its nice to be able to travel freely and even grab a job in a distant city to explore and enjoy life when youre young. 

The problem is that Brits have a relatively strong economy with job ops available.  Theres a huge imbalance on the number of Brits who may stray to work in Poland verses the numbers of Poles without as much opportunity gravitating to find work in the UK.  The subject should have been considered a bit more when they drew up the plan,  imho. 

Then, as a Brit,  I have to bail out a very irresponsible and corrupt Greek economy? That would drive me mad! 

Add in the influx of less desirable cultures who may in fact have anti western ideologies and im sorry.... Its just not a smart idea. Not at least for the bigger countries with opportunities. I can see it being very favorable for a Greek or Croatian man who is in dire straits 

On 6/24/2016 at 11:09 AM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Glad to see it. Probably wishful thinking, but I'd love for it to be the beginning of the end for the EU. Seriously, how the hell can people think that the unelected leaders like Juncker coming out with crap like "There can be no democratic choice against the European treaties." is acceptable? The utter contempt these bureaucrats have for the citizens of Europe is unbelievable.

Wouldn't put it past the EU to try to force the Brits to have another referendum, Christ knows the Eurotrash have forced the Irish into doing do every time they voted against their precious EUSSR in referendums.

None of this would have happened had they left the EEC the way it was, but nope, we couldn't have national governments making their own laws for their own countries. Everything must be dictated to from Brussels.  

this

so the guy who told everyone the money sent to the EU would go to the NHS in the leave vote said the morning after the voter "it was probably a mistake to say that" and the guy pushing the immigration angle for the leave vote said "anyone expecting a decrease in immigration will probably be disappointed"

ouch

oh, and the scots are way better at insulting people than we are, lol

23 hours ago, Larz said:

so the guy who told everyone the money sent to the EU would go to the NHS in the leave vote said the morning after the voter "it was probably a mistake to say that" and the guy pushing the immigration angle for the leave vote said "anyone expecting a decrease in immigration will probably be disappointed"

ouch

oh, and the scots are way better at insulting people than we are, lol

Reading today that they're never going to actually leave and that they're ready to throw Boris into the Thames. As with everything political, the point of principled disagreement gets buried by partisan dick-measuring, and the end result will be a messy compromise. 

Archived