Brexit

AFJF

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Reading today that they're never going to actually leave and that they're ready to throw Boris into the Thames. As with everything political, the point of principled disagreement gets buried by partisan dick-measuring, and the end result will be a messy compromise. 

well put. 

as a side note to your point about the voting masses, really bizarre to see the #1 google search in the UK after the results came is was "what is the EU?"

On 6/24/2016 at 11:23 PM, kelticwizard said:

The UK has the fifth largest economy in the world

On 6/25/2016 at 10:40 AM, PatsFanTX said:

Not after Friday, France jumped ahead of them.

Your information is wrong.  According to the latest figures, the UK's Gross Domestic Product is $2.989 Trillion and two weeks ago, before the Brexit, the Pound was worth $1.43.  After the Brexit vote, the Pound went down to $1.37 in worth, so the UK's Gross Domestic Product would be scaled down to $2.863 Trillion.

France's Gross Domestic Product, latest figures, was $2.829 Trillion.  Two weeks ago, the Euro was $1.13.  After the Brexit vote, the Euro also went down, to $1.11.  That scales France's Gross Domestic Product down to $2.778 Trillion. 

The UK's Gross Domestic Product is still ahead of France's, $2.863 Trillion to $2.778 Trillion,  and remains the world's fifth largest economy.

Your information is wrong.  According to the latest figures, the UK's Gross Domestic Product is $2.989 Trillion and two weeks ago, before the Brexit, the Pound was worth $1.43.  After the Brexit vote, the Pound went down to $1.37 in worth, so the UK's Gross Domestic Product would be scaled down to $2.863 Trillion.

France's Gross Domestic Product, latest figures, was $2.829.  Two weeks ago, the Euro was $1.13.  After the Brexit vote, the Euro also went down, to $1.11.  That scales France's Gross Domestic Product down to $2.778 Trillion. 

The UK's Gross Domestic Product is still ahead of France's, $2.863 Trillion to $2.778 Trillion,  and remains the world's fifth largest economy.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/france-overtakes-uk-as-fifth-largest-economy-as-pound-plummets-5964746/

The article is wrong.  I went through the math in the previous post.  Allow me to sum this up.  Before the Brexit vote, the Gross Domestic Product of the UK was 5.7% higher than France's.  After the Brexit vote, the British Pound went down 4.2% compared to two weeks ago.  The Euro, which France uses for money, went down 1.8% from two weeks ago.  As a result, the UK economy remains about 3% greater than France's.

Here is an excellent website with all this GDP and economic statistics in one place.  www.tradingeconomics.com

And here is a website which allows you to compare currency values for all currencies both now and in the past.  xe.com.

With all the complaining on how poor American schools are at teaching mathematics, it is somewhat comforting to know that the problem is at least not limited to this side of the Atlantic.  And  I was the worst kid in math in my class.

The article is wrong.  I went through the math in the previous post.  Allow me to sum this up.  Before the Brexit vote, the Gross Domestic Product of the UK was 5.7% higher than France's.  After the Brexit vote, the British Pound went down 4.2% compared to two weeks ago.  The Euro, which France uses for money, went down 1.8% from two weeks ago.  As a result, the UK economy remains about 3% greater than France's.

Here is an excellent website with all this GDP and economic statistics in one place.  www.tradingeconomics.com

And here is a website which allows you to compare currency values for all currencies both now and in the past.  xe.com.

With all the complaining on how poor American schools are at teaching mathematics, it is somewhat comforting to know that the problem is at least not limited to this side of the Atlantic.  And  I was the worst kid in math in my class.

You obviously did your research, but they said the same thing on CNN this morning.

I'll get back to you.  By all rights, I should check what the exchange rate was at the end of the first quarter, when the GDP was recorded.  Also,  some polls came out a few days before the vote showing the Remain side slightly going ahead, and as a result the British Pound went up slightly the day before the vote.  I'll check the figures-I think the people over there were using the higher exchange rate the day before the vote and applying it to the first quarter GDP rating.  Don't have time to check the figures now, be back later.

6 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Then, as a Brit,  I have to bail out a very irresponsible and corrupt Greek economy? That would drive me mad! 

And how did the Greek economy even get in the Eurozone? They cooked the books, and all with the EU's approval, as the EU were so desperate to get every country into the single currency. I still can't believe that they thought a one size fits all financial policy would ever work.

Sterling dropped a lot against the dollar, but rebounded a bit, also dropped against the euro, but not near as much, as the euro dropped against the other world currencies too. 

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Just an observation. Stones were thrown on page 1 anyways.

I know its interesting.  But what i mean is everyone has been cordial and talking about whats going on over there.  

Your comment relates to how some in the us are whining.  They may be,  but thats the kind of stuff that might create responses that start getting ugly and eventually personal. 

I dont wanna see this thread closed 

14 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I believe a petition of 100000 by law requires the house of commons to discuss a an issue 

I think i heard they might be forced to discuss it tuesday. 

Imagine if they agreed to a revote?  Lol should b interesting

I've been seeing two different perspectives. Both interesting. One is that they'll put Boris in charge, muddle around for two years, then say it's not viable to actually leave. In the interim, Boris crawls to Brussels and begs for some face-saving bullsh*t that he can sell to his Leave votership.

the other option I saw presented was holding a special election for PM, after which the new PM claims a mandate to renegotiate their obligation to the EU, and they stay.

I don't know if it's media spin, but every Leave scenario right now is being portrayed as catastrophic. 

Quote kelticwizard:

The UK has the fifth largest economy in the world.

Quote PatsFanTX:

9 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

You obviously did your research, but they said the same thing on CNN this morning.

Well, I went back to the end of the first quarter, (March 31), which is the last Gross Domestic Product quote for both countries.  The UK has a GDP of $2.989 Trillion and France had a GDP of $2.829 on March 31.  The UK GDP is 5.7% higher than France's.  Also on that date, (March 31), the British pound was worth $1.44 and the Euro, which is what France uses for money, was worth $1.14.  The British pound has now fallen from $1.44 on March 31 to $1.37 now, a 4.9% drop, so the UK GDP is now worth $2.844 Trillion.  The Euro has now fallen from $1.14 on March 31 down to $1.11 now, a 2.6% drop, so France's GDP is now worth $2.755 Trillion.  So France never overtook the UK in size of the economy, (Gross Domestic Product).

The fact that a UK news site, no doubt seeking to add a sense of outrage to it all,  reported that France had passed the UK in GDP, and then later CNN ran with the story, only means that once again, the press has picked up a faulty report and printed it without checking it out.  All it would take to check this story out is 5 minutes with a calculator.  Just shows how things are.

By the way, someone on another website  once posted a pic of a CNN graphic, during a space shot, which gave the speed of light incorrectly.  Not even close. When it comes to technical stuff, even things they teach in junior high school, the press often screws up.

Quote kelticwizard:

The UK has the fifth largest economy in the world.

Quote PatsFanTX:

Well, I went back to the end of the first quarter, (March 31), which is the last Gross Domestic Product quote for both countries.  The UK has a GDP of $2.989 Trillion and France had a GDP of $2.829 on March 31.  The UK GDP is 5.7% higher than France's.  Also on that date, (March 31), the British pound was worth $1.44 and the Euro, which is what France uses for money, was worth $1.14.  The British pound has now fallen from $1.44 on March 31 to $1.37 now, a 4.9% drop, so the UK GDP is now worth $2.844 Trillion.  The Euro has now fallen from $1.14 on March 31 down to $1.11 now, a 2.6% drop, so France's GDP is now worth $2.755 Trillion.  So France never overtook the UK in size of the economy, (Gross Domestic Product).

The fact that a UK news site, no doubt seeking to add a sense of outrage to it all,  reported that France had passed the UK in GDP, and then later CNN ran with the story, only means that once again, the press has picked up a faulty report and printed it without checking it out.  All it would take to check this story out is 5 minutes with a calculator.  Just shows how things are.

By the way, someone on another website  once posted a pic of a CNN graphic, during a space shot, which gave the speed of light incorrectly.  Not even close. When it comes to technical stuff, even things they teach in junior high school, the press often screws up.

Nice job.

I'm sold.

On 6/26/2016 at 10:21 PM, PatsFanTX said:

Quote PatsFanTX:

Nice job.

I'm sold.

Reporting facts correctly on CNN is a lot like quoting posts with you. Neither seem to happen.

:)

Archived