Christian Hackenberg's mental capacity.

Villain The Foe

I came across these videos of Bill O'Brien at a coaching clinic and he gave some breakdowns of the Empty Set protection etc. With his explanation it shows how much the QB must understand and see "pre-snap" in order to set the right protection in this set up. I found this to be a a really good video showing a brief example of what Hackenberg dealt with at Penn St. under O'Brien from the mental game and why Macc decided to pull the trigger on Hack in the 2nd round. 

Fitzpatrick gave a lot of credit to his previous head coach and offensive coordinator, Bill O'Brien and George Godsey of the Houston Texans. Consider this compliment: "I probably learned more about football last year than I had the rest of my career in a single season in terms of being able to see the game from a different angle." That's high praise, considering Fitzpatrick spent three years in Buffalo with his current coordinator, Chan Gailey, a coach he admires.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53312/jets-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-has-a-new-best-friend-a-potentially-elite-defense

18 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Fitzpatrick gave a lot of credit to his previous head coach and offensive coordinator, Bill O'Brien and George Godsey of the Houston Texans. Consider this compliment: "I probably learned more about football last year than I had the rest of my career in a single season in terms of being able to see the game from a different angle." That's high praise, considering Fitzpatrick spent three years in Buffalo with his current coordinator, Chan Gailey, a coach he admires.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/53312/jets-qb-ryan-fitzpatrick-has-a-new-best-friend-a-potentially-elite-defense

And yet I was told here that O'Brien was overrated, riding the coattails of Tom Brady. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And yet I was told here that O'Brien was overrated, riding the coattails of Tom Brady. 

I like Bill O'Brien a lot.  Guy knows his sh*t, especially when it comes to QB's.  He's very much like Jim Harbaugh and Bruce Arians when it comes to fixing guys.  Give him weeds and he'll turn them into roses.  Matt McGloin, Ryan Fitzpatrick, T.J. Yates, Brian Hoyer, hell before he mentally imploded like an immature baby Ryan Mallett was looking solid.  All of those guys owe a lot to Bill O'Brien.  He's a brilliant football mind.  My biggest surprise on this list is McGloin because if he had a better arm and better size he may have been viewed as a MUCH different player coming out. Very Greg McElroy esque.  Texans are lucky to have Bill as their HC, he's just really unlucky to have Rick Smith as his GM.

26 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I like Bill O'Brien a lot.  Guy knows his sh*t, especially when it comes to QB's.  He's very much like Jim Harbaugh and Bruce Arians when it comes to fixing guys.  Give him weeds and he'll turn them into roses.  Matt McGloin, Ryan Fitzpatrick, T.J. Yates, Brian Hoyer, hell before he mentally imploded like an immature baby Ryan Mallett was looking solid.  All of those guys owe a lot to Bill O'Brien.  He's a brilliant football mind.  My biggest surprise on this list is McGloin because if he had a better arm and better size he may have been viewed as a MUCH different player coming out. Very Greg McElroy esque.  Texans are lucky to have Bill as their HC, he's just really unlucky to have Rick Smith as his GM.

Looked at these clips, then thought how Osweiler may possibly have made the best decision, and got paid for it. 

3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

does this mean that Osweiler has a decent chance of being a solid fantasy football pick?  Otherwise I don't care.  

HAckenberg will be a really interesting player. He has the floor of Ryan Leaf and the ceiling of Peyton Manning. Can he undo the bad habits and mechanical issues of the last 2 years? He unquestionably has the knowlege and the ability. O'Brien stays 2 more years and Hackenberg is first pick in this draft.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

HAckenberg will be a really interesting player. He has the floor of Ryan Leaf and the ceiling of Peyton Manning. Can he undo the bad habits and mechanical issues of the last 2 years? He unquestionably has the knowlege and the ability. O'Brien stays 2 more years and Hackenberg is first pick in this draft.

Dufaq?  Dude. Obrien yeah real solid. But hack is a hack. No genius or swami can turn a mediocre qb with shaky consistancy and accuracy issues into Peyton Manning. And he could flame out without being the next Ryan Leaf. He's the next Kellen Clemmons. Rick Mirer.  A kid with talent but poor consistency. He'll be great and awful. He'll spark hope then fury. He's what he is. And I don't believe in mike macagnan so the wait n see thing doesn't fly with me. 

3 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Dufaq?  Dude. Obrien yeah real solid. But hack is a hack. No genius or swami can turn a mediocre qb with shaky consistancy and accuracy issues into Peyton Manning. And he could flame out without being the next Ryan Leaf. He's the next Kellen Clemmons. Rick Mirer.  A kid with talent but poor consistency. He'll be great and awful. He'll spark hope then fury. He's what he is. And I don't believe in mike macagnan so the wait n see thing doesn't fly with me. 

How can you say "he is what he is" when we don't know what he is yet.

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

hackenberg has one main issue to overcome....but it's a big issue. can he fix his mechanics and become reasonably accurate? right now he's in a state of flux where the mechanics aren't drilled in to his muscle memory....so he';s thinking about them and it's ******* him up. if he can get to the point where it's all muscle memory and the mechanics are the same every time then his accuracy will improve and he can become a very good qb. of course he can just be chuck knoblauch forever and never get it right. this whole year for him needs to be nothing but practice. idc what happens......he should not take the field. it should be geno and then petty only.

Then again, O'Brien didn't want Fitzpatrick anymore despite his dirt-cheap contract, and it would seem he didn't want Hackenberg either. 

Oh well. Hopefully he's someone who knows the game and can talk the game, on paper and conversationally, but who ultimately makes poor decisions (like Paul Hackett). 

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then again, O'Brien didn't want Fitzpatrick anymore despite his dirt-cheap contract, and it would seem he didn't want Hackenberg either. 

Oh well. Hopefully he's someone who knows the game and can talk the game, on paper and conversationally, but who ultimately makes poor decisions (like Paul Hackett). 

My first Jets jersey was a custom "FireHackett" jersey. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Don't you go picking on Cumar's buddy without him no HOF for the compiler..:)

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

He's never played a down of football yet?

If what you did in college is the measure of success in the pro's Brady wouldn't have been a 6th rd pick..;) And many great college QB's can't make it in the Pro's..

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

If what you did in college is the measure of success in the pro's Brady wouldn't have been a 6th rd pick..;) And many great college QB's can't make it in the Pro's..

JaMarcus Russell was a number one overall pick. That's all the proof someone needs to back up that claim.

If what you did in college is the measure of success in the pro's Brady wouldn't have been a 6th rd pick.. And many great college QB's can't make it in the Pro's..

And his biggest problem is his accuracy.

How many inaccurate QB's have been successful in the Pro's?

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Eh, this counterpoint silly, because O'Brien viewed Fitz as expendable after winning the bidding war for Brian Hoyer. And then won the bidding war for Osweiler too. I give the guy credit, he's been relentless in trying to find "his guy", and as such, I don't see him having the time to develop Hack as his guy. He needed a guy NOW, in JJ Watt's prime. Look how they spent in FA, they think they are going for it... 

Anyway, O'Brien wants a QB to hang his legacy on, in the absence of such a QB, he opted for a familiar player in Hoyer over Fitz. Meaning Fitz was viewed the same way there, as he was here, as a serviceable, but expendable, journeyman.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Eh, this counterpoint silly, because O'Brien viewed Fitz as expendable after winning the bidding war for Brian Hoyer. And then won the bidding war for Osweiler too. I give the guy credit, he's been relentless in trying to find "his guy", and as such, I don't see him having the time to develop Hack as his guy. He needed a guy NOW, in JJ Watt's prime. Look how they spent in FA, they think they are going for it... 

Anyway, O'Brien wants a QB to hang his legacy on, in the absence of such a QB, he opted for a familiar player in Hoyer over Fitz. Meaning Fitz was viewed the same way there, as he was here, as a serviceable, but expendable, journeyman.

And he had Hoyer with the Pats so they did have a connection..

True only to the extent that he didn't want him in the first two rounds.  Anything other than that is pure speculation.  Given the Texan's win-now and new $$$ QB position, I can see why they wouldn't take any QB early.

We don'y know if O'Brien wanted Christian. Reports says that Osweiller was owner driven.

Hmm.. the QB that beat you twice in the Super Bowl was pretty inaccurate.

Seriously?

Eli Manning's career completion percentage is 59.3% in the NFL.

You savior barely completed half his passes in the friggn' Big 10.

If you don't see the difference, you either watch the games in Braille or drink too much green kool aid.

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

No, your assessment of Hoyer being O'Brien's desired starter is silly. Brian Hoyer was not part of the search for "his guy"; he was competition for the more risky Mallet, who was the "his guy" he was taking another shot on. Hoyer was viewed as better competition, and was signed to a backup's contract (though it was slightly more than Fitz's). But he was surely looking for any reason to justify starting Mallett. Fitz was no less "familiar" to O'Brien, since he'd just been coached by him all season long.

I could say the same about the Jets that you say about Houston. Look how we spent in FA; we think we're going for it. We have more high priced veterans, with sooner expiration dates, than does Houston. Hell, we're even renting Mo for $16M just to get 1 more season of him before he (likely) becomes an untagged UFA in 2017. A Jets team that does not think they're "going for it" would have just taken the best draft pick offered for Mo, and save the gobs of cap room.

Houston doesn't need a guy "NOW" any more than the Jets. We were both similarly set up entering March: a good defensive team, with receiving talent, that had an obvious (i.e not good enough) weakness at the QB position. They went with Osweiller, and we didn't. 

The point is O'Brien chose Hoyer over Fitz, and Osweiller over Hackenberg, and hopefully he's just a knowledgeable guru type who makes poor judgment calls. To be fair, last year Maccagnan also chose Hoyer (and reportedly at least a couple others) over Fitz, and this year he tried making his own big splash for another QB prospect (twice) before settling on his fallback option of Hackenberg. 

8 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

True only to the extent that he didn't want him in the first two rounds.  Anything other than that is pure speculation.  Given the Texan's win-now and new $$$ QB position, I can see why they wouldn't take any QB early.

As I just said in the post above, the Jets are no less in win-now mode than the Texans. We have more expensive, older starters than they have. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, your assessment of Hoyer being O'Brien's desired starter is silly. Brian Hoyer was not part of the search for "his guy"; he was competition for the more risky Mallet, who was the "his guy" he was taking another shot on. Hoyer was viewed as better competition, and was signed to a backup's contract (though it was slightly more than Fitz's). But he was surely looking for any reason to justify starting Mallett. Fitz was no less "familiar" to O'Brien, since he'd just been coached by him all season long.

I could say the same about the Jets that you say about Houston. Look how we spent in FA; we think we're going for it. We have more high priced veterans, with sooner expiration dates, than does Houston. Hell, we're even renting Mo for $16M just to get 1 more season of him before he (likely) becomes an untagged UFA in 2017. A Jets team that does not think they're "going for it" would have just taken the best draft pick offered for Mo, and save the gobs of cap room.

Houston doesn't need a guy "NOW" any more than the Jets. We were both similarly set up entering March: a good defensive team, with receiving talent, that had an obvious (i.e not good enough) weakness at the QB position. They went with Osweiller, and we didn't. 

The point is O'Brien chose Hoyer over Fitz, and Osweiller over Hackenberg, and hopefully he's just a knowledgeable guru type who makes poor judgment calls. To be fair, last year Maccagnan also chose Hoyer (and reportedly at least a couple others) over Fitz, and this year he tried making his own big splash for another QB prospect (twice) before settling on his fallback option of Hackenberg. 

Actually no.

He chose his guy, Hoyer over Fitz.  And why on earth would he ever draft Hackenberg early when he just dumped huge money on Osweiller?  It wasnt one or the other and he went the other way.  He had to take Osweiller right away or would have lost him to the Broncos.  And he had no clue who may have taken Hackenberg when, he may not have been available to him.  And I'd argue that Houston is in a win now situation, much more than the Jets.  

Archived