Christian Hackenberg's mental capacity.

Villain The Foe

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually no.

He chose his guy, Hoyer over Fitz.  And why on earth would he ever draft Hackenberg early when he just dumped huge money on Osweiller?  It wasnt one or the other and he went the other way.  He had to take Osweiller right away or would have lost him to the Broncos.  And he had no clue who may have taken Hackenberg when, he may not have been available to him.  And I'd argue that Houston is in a win now situation, much more than the Jets.  

I said he chose Hoyer over Fitz, and you say NO he chose Hoyer over Fitz?

He chose Osweiller over Hackenberg. If he wanted Hackenberg that badly, he could have had him and he knows it. As it happened, Hackenberg went earlier than projected in lower round 2. PFF aside, he was mostly expected to go in rounds 3 or 4. 

Houston is absolutely not in more of a win now situation than the Jets. Just because you'd argue it doesn't make it so. We have more starters who are 30+ year-old veterans, or on shorter contracts we may not extend, or where their future level of play past 2016-2017 is less certain than those in their physical primes (Revis, Marshall, Forte, Mangold, Clady, Harris, McLendon); Mo is super-expensive likely playing his last year here under the franchise tag; locking up Richardson past 2017 is far from certain. 

The only major area/position on the roster where we're not obviously win-now is at QB. 

Hackenberg was never going to stay on the board until the 3rd round .  The Jets took Hackenberg where they too him and IMO, that was the plan all along because the Jets were 1 spot ahead of the Texans in the 2nd round barring a trade up by the Texans . With Osweiller  already signed, it was a calculated risk that the Texans would not trade up for another QB .

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, your assessment of Hoyer being O'Brien's desired starter is silly. Brian Hoyer was not part of the search for "his guy"; he was competition for the more risky Mallet, who was the "his guy" he was taking another shot on. Hoyer was viewed as better competition, and was signed to a backup's contract (though it was slightly more than Fitz's). But he was surely looking for any reason to justify starting Mallett. Fitz was no less "familiar" to O'Brien, since he'd just been coached by him all season long.

I could say the same about the Jets that you say about Houston. Look how we spent in FA; we think we're going for it. We have more high priced veterans, with sooner expiration dates, than does Houston. Hell, we're even renting Mo for $16M just to get 1 more season of him before he (likely) becomes an untagged UFA in 2017. A Jets team that does not think they're "going for it" would have just taken the best draft pick offered for Mo, and save the gobs of cap room.

Houston doesn't need a guy "NOW" any more than the Jets. We were both similarly set up entering March: a good defensive team, with receiving talent, that had an obvious (i.e not good enough) weakness at the QB position. They went with Osweiller, and we didn't. 

The point is O'Brien chose Hoyer over Fitz, and Osweiller over Hackenberg, and hopefully he's just a knowledgeable guru type who makes poor judgment calls. To be fair, last year Maccagnan also chose Hoyer (and reportedly at least a couple others) over Fitz, and this year he tried making his own big splash for another QB prospect (twice) before settling on his fallback option of Hackenberg. 

I read to the bold. That's not what I was saying... so, I'm guessing the rest of this blabber pertains to something I didn't say, and is therefore contextually irrelevant. I hope you spent a lot of time on it. :)

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah Obrien knows his QBs' and how to develop them, i mean Tom Savage, Ryan Mallent and Hoyer all thrived under his QB zen like tutelage.

This is kind of my hope: that he talks a good game but in the end his judgment (and maybe the end result) is suspect.

That said, Hoyer did just have his best season under O'Brien, such as it was. At least until the playoffs lol. Also a good amount of his 2015 numbers were padded (yards and touchdown passes that came after the game was already in the bag, like throwing 3 TDs against Miami but all 3 of them uselessly came after Miami was already out to a 41-0 lead; stuff like that). Still, it's as good as anyone really got out of Hoyer for any extended stretch.

The rest...my understanding is Mallett was always such a super-douchebag and there's only so much one can do with that when he's not behind Tom Brady. Tom Savage was a raw rookie in 2014 (he didn't play in 2013 or 2012 due to transferring twice), then a preseason game shoulder injury put him on IR. Meh. TJ Yates and Brandon Weeden posted a combined 6:1 TD:INT ratio in their 3 games (one of them against us :bag:).  

On 6/26/2016 at 10:02 AM, Villain The Foe said:

My first Jets jersey was a custom "FireHackett" jersey. 

You spent money on a FIREHACKETT jersey? 

This reminds me of a study that was done a few years back. Unless they're on little kids, custom jerseys are only slightly (but insignificantly) less gay than a pair of pink assless chaps. Tinkerbell.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This reminds me of a study that was done a few years back. Unless they're on little kids, custom jerseys are only slightly (but insignificantly) less gay than a pair of pink assless chaps. Tinkerbell.

Dont hate because I've always been the ballerina of the ball. lol.

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I said he chose Hoyer over Fitz, and you say NO he chose Hoyer over Fitz?

He chose Osweiller over Hackenberg. If he wanted Hackenberg that badly, he could have had him and he knows it. As it happened, Hackenberg went earlier than projected in lower round 2. PFF aside, he was mostly expected to go in rounds 3 or 4. 

Houston is absolutely not in more of a win now situation than the Jets. Just because you'd argue it doesn't make it so. We have more starters who are 30+ year-old veterans, or on shorter contracts we may not extend, or where their future level of play past 2016-2017 is less certain than those in their physical primes (Revis, Marshall, Forte, Mangold, Clady, Harris, McLendon); Mo is super-expensive likely playing his last year here under the franchise tag; locking up Richardson past 2017 is far from certain. 

The only major area/position on the roster where we're not obviously win-now is at QB. 

No, I gave reasons why he chose him.  You're saying he did for other reasons and it proves something about Hackenberg.  

Houston with O'Brien is absolutely in more of a win now situation.  Bowles in going into year 2'has more slack to find his way.  You're looking at rosters, I'm looking at what the expectations were and what they've gotten from their HCs. And I'm not arguing, other opinions count

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/15/79/f2/1579f28fb257b83f7657c1d6a4af0392.jpg

Dufaq?  Dude. Obrien yeah real solid. But hack is a hack. No genius or swami can turn a mediocre qb with shaky consistancy and accuracy issues into Peyton Manning. And he could flame out without being the next Ryan Leaf. He's the next Kellen Clemmons. Rick Mirer.  A kid with talent but poor consistency. He'll be great and awful. He'll spark hope then fury. He's what he is. And I don't believe in mike macagnan so the wait n see thing doesn't fly with me. 

MaineJet? Is that you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/26/2016 at 9:13 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Then again, O'Brien didn't want Fitzpatrick anymore despite his dirt-cheap contract, and it would seem he didn't want Hackenberg either. 

Oh well. Hopefully he's someone who knows the game and can talk the game, on paper and conversationally, but who ultimately makes poor decisions (like Paul Hackett). 

Really made him look like a genius last year. He did want Mallet, and Hoyer. 

Maybe the guy knows how to teach QBs better than he judges their potential. 

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A gay man would never put his own name on a jersey...He'd put his stage name. 

10 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Really made him look like a genius last year. He did want Mallet, and Hoyer. 

Maybe the guy knows how to teach QBs better than he judges their potential. 

In fairness, before signing our consolation prize, we wanted each of them as well, and McCown before either of them.

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No, I gave reasons why he chose him.  You're saying he did for other reasons and it proves something about Hackenberg.  

Houston with O'Brien is absolutely in more of a win now situation.  Bowles in going into year 2'has more slack to find his way.  You're looking at rosters, I'm looking at what the expectations were and what they've gotten from their HCs. And I'm not arguing, other opinions count

Other people are allowed to have opinions? 

Teams don't sign and retain the number of expensive veteran rosters, who have soon-coming expiration dates, to be a win-in-2018 team. So you bet I'm looking at rosters. Especially when they elect to tag and keep Mo - with whom they've had no recent, meaningful extension talks - for 1 more season at $16M instead of taking the best offer they could get. A team that does that, despite already having 2 uber-talented DEs without him, and who maxes out on the present cap and then makes even more room by pushing some of it to next year, and who is willing to move still more to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick, is most definitely in win-now mode.

Bill O'Brien is not in danger of losing his job. What are you talking about? In 2013 they fired Kubiak at 2-11 without letting him finish the season (having enough brains down there to put a puppet in place lest Kubiak actually try to win any of the remaining 3, and thereby deep-six getting the #1 pick). Coming off that 2-14 record in 2013, O'Brien's first year was 2014 (a mere 1 year earlier than Bowles), and the team immediately bounced to 9-7 in 2014 with 12 games from Fitzpatrick and 4 games of Mallett (who went on IR after 2 starts)/Case Keenum, and getting only 2 starts from their #1 overall pick. Then they went 9-7 again despite every QB on the roster getting injured (or justifiably cut for disciplinary reasons). There's only so much one can do with the QBs he had access to, and the only one QB that Smith drafted for him in 2014 (in round 4) spent the entire season on IR, while their supposed team-changing, generational-talent in Clowney has been a walking injury report. 

O'Brien was not in danger of losing his job and he isn't the GM anyway in the first place. That job belongs to Rick "Matt Schaub doesn't get enough respect" Smith. That said, if O'Brien was such a huge believer in Hackenberg, they don't pay $37M guaranteed to Brock Osweiller, whom O'Brien had never even met before the contract was signed. 

Archived