Buster Skrine & Marcus Williams ~ ~ ~

kelly

Last season, Antonio Cromartie had the role of the Jets' "other" cornerback — the guy who isn't Darrelle Revis. 

For years, quarterbacks have thrown away from Revis, and at that other cornerback. With the Jets cutting Cromartie this offseason, Buster Skrine andMarcus Williams now step into that "other" role. 

Daylon McCutcheon, the Jets' assistant defensive backs coach, isn't concerned with how Skrine and Williams will handle quarterbacks throwing often in their direction."The one thing about Marcus and the one thing about Buster is that those guys challenge everyone and they love competition," McCutcheon said. "That's one of the things I love about both of them, is that they don't play scared. They don't play timid. And I think they look forward to that challenge."They know that everyone respects Rev. So I don't worry about them. Some guys, you would think, 'Oh, man, they're going to get a ton of balls thrown over there, and they're going to be terrified and back down.' Those two, I don't worry about that at all." 

In the Jets' base defense, it looks like they'll play Skrine outside. He was their slot cornerback last season, but he played outside and in the slot in Cleveland from 2011-14.When the Jets go to their five-defensive back nickel package (which they use a lot), Skrine will play in the slot, and Williams will align outside. Williams' primary role last season was as a slot corner in the dime package (six defensive backs). 

Both Skrine and Williams are both capable of playing inside and outside corner, but that's how it looks like the Jets will structure their cornerback alignment — at least as of right now. "[Skrine] has had experience on the outside, so it's not like he's in foreign territory," McCutcheon said. "I think he looks comfortable out there. The scheme that we run fits [Williams] well. I think he showed that he could be accountable. I'm excited to see what role he plays for us."I was very pleased with how he played inside, but when it comes down to it, Buster is the nickel player. I think he's a good fit inside. The versatility definitely doesn't hurt, but I like Marcus outside." 

Williams last season led the Jets with six interceptions, one more than Revis. Skrine had one pick in his debut season with the Jets. 

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/can_jets_buster_skrine_marcus_williams_handle_team.html#incart_river_index

Addition by subtraction with Cro gone.  The dude was absolutely ******* terrible last year.  It's just a shame that Bowles is a stubborn ass hat and wouldnt give Williams more run in favor of Cro.  How much better off would they be coming into 2016 with a few more snaps under Williams belt?  

If Lee can cover like advertised and they can get a little more pressure this season, I think we should be just fine vs. the pass.

With the Jets cutting Antonio Cromartie this offseason, Buster Skrine is now their outside cornerback opposite Darrelle Revis, at least in their base defense. 

When the Jets go to their nickel package, Skrine slides into the slot, where he played last year, and Marcus Williams enters as the "other" outside corner.  Or at least that's how things look right now, as the Jets prepare for training camp, which opens July 27. If opposing quarterbacks throw away from Revis, as they often have, Skrine is totally fine with being targeted a lot. "Bring it on," he told NJ Advance Media during minicamp earlier this month.

Skrine debuted with the Jets last season after playing both outside and slot corner for the Browns.  "I played in Cleveland with Joe [Haden]," Skrine said. "When I was there, he was a Pro Bowl corner. That's how I got paid, people throwing at me. So I've been there. It's not foreign territory. I've already been there. Ain't nothing to worry about. I've been that guy. I've been the second corner." 

Skrine obviously doesn't shy away from being targeted. "Never," he said. "Never. When I was in Cleveland, people would ask me the same thing." Of course, he knows Revis is a more successful and feared cornerback, over the course of his career, than Haden. "I mean, it's Darrelle Revis, the best to ever play," Skrine said. "But more opportunities for me." 

Skrine couldn't resist this semi-accurate wisecrack about being the Jets' "other" corner this season: "You know, my name is Darrelle, too, so ... " Close enough. Skrine's given name is Darryl, pronounced like the former Mets slugger Darryl Strawberry. Skrine felt comfortable last year with the Jets, because they play a lot of man-to-man coverage. He finished the season with one interception, after having four in 2014. "Coming here, I knew we were going to play man," he said. "That's what I've been doing my whole career. I didn't want to switch up to a Tampa 2 [zone defense] team or nothing like that." 

In 2016, Skrine expects the Jets to use him like this: "I'm outside in two-receiver sets," he said. "If three receivers come in [and the Jets go nickel], I'm bumping inside. I did the same thing in Cleveland."Because of how the NFL is trending, the Jets use their nickel package a lot, which makes that slot/nickel corner essentially a starter. "The first throw is the slot receiver," Skrine said. "He's the closest receiver to the quarterback. Easiest throw. That means you have to have a good nickel. Whereas back in the day, they would throw outside all the time.

"I think we're probably one of the only team that throws on the perimeter as much, because our receivers are bigger. Most teams, if you look at the Patriots, the Patriots are dunk, dunk, inside, inside. Small, shifty receivers. If you look at nickel in our defense, and you look at the teams we play, the nickel is important." Skrine, who has never reached the playoffs in five NFL seasons, is ready to take that next step in 2016, coach Todd Bowles' second season. "We have high expectations here," he said. "We know we have a good team. Out of every team I've been on, I feel like this is the best team I've been on so far.

"For example, this year [during organized team activities] on the first day, we were running stuff that we ran two weeks into OTAs last year. Everybody is familiar with the system. Nothing is foreign to anybody. You can play faster. There aren't as many questions in the meeting room. It's just second nature." 

>       http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/06/jets_buster_skrine_on_teams_targeting_him_bring_it.html#incart_river_index

On June 27, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Joe Jets fan said:

The best thing that could happen to the Jets is Milliner kicks so much ass in camp and preseason that he has to be named the starter.   

Not it saying it's going to happen but it is the best thing for the Jets.  

He can be a very good corner, and I don't think anyone doubts that. Whether he can stay healthy for more than 3 consecutive games is another story

55 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

He can be a very good corner, and I don't think anyone doubts that. Whether he can stay healthy for more than 3 consecutive games is another story

Correctemundo. 

But its nice knowing that if Milliner goes down, the Jets have M.Williams that can step right in. 

Milliner is still the better talent, you can see it on the field. When he is on, he looks dominant (as we saw glimpses of the past couple of years). So if Milliner is playing lights out in camp and pre-season Bowles really needs to name him the starter across from Revis. Its a win-win for the Jets.

• 2 weeks later...

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game. I also am not including Ryan Fitzpatrick on the list because he is not technically a Jet at this time.

No. 13: Buster Skrine

Last year’s ranking: 23

Position: Cornerback

How acquired: Signed as a free agent on March 10, 2015

Years left on contract: 3

2016 Salary Cap figure: $7.75 million

Looking back at 2015 : Skrine was part of Mike Maccagnan’s overhaul of the secondary last season, and he had a solid first year with the Jets. Skrine had 56 tackles and an interception, playing primarily as the slot corner.Skrine had a strong start to the season with coach Todd Bowles using him as a chesspiece in his defense, moving him around, using him as a blitzer and keeping offenses guessing. He had a huge presence in wins over the Colts and Dolphins (in London), blitzing Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill repeatedly.

Skrine started eight games and filled in on the outside some when Antonio Cromartie was hurt.

The season took a downturn for Skrine after he was injured against the Patriots in the sixth game of the season. He hurt his right shoulder on a huge hit on Julian Edelman and also broke a bone in his left hand. Skrine was not the same player after those injuries. He played through them, but Bowles seemed hesitant to use him as a blitzer.Coverage probably was the weakest part of Skrine’s debut season with the Jets. Pro Football Focus graded Skrine as the 94th cornerback out of 111, largely because of his coverage issues. That seems a little harsh to me. A lot of what Skrine does well does not show up statistically and can only be appreciated by watching him every week.

Outlook for 2016 : Skrine is a key piece of the 2016 Jets and will be under a microscope in training camp. He is the favorite to replace Cromartie on the outside, opposite Darrelle Revis. It is not an unfamiliar role for Skrine, who played outside with the Browns and a little bit last season.

It likely will come down to Skrine or Marcus Williams for the starting outside job, with Dee Milliner as a long shot. The coaches have to decide where Skrine has more value to the team. If they don’t believe any of the other corners are a good fit inside, they may opt to keep Skrine in that role even if he is the second-best cornerback on the team.

>       http://nypost.com/2016/07/11/why-jets-will-give-buster-skrine-so-much-scrutiny/

• 2 weeks later...

The New York Jets open training camp July 27 at their year-round facility in Florham Park, New Jersey. Here’s a closer look at the Jets' camp, which wraps up on Aug. 24 :

~ ~  Position battle worth watching : Buster Skrine and Marcus Williamswill compete for Antonio Cromartie's old job at cornerback. Skrine is the favorite because of his experience in man-to-man schemes, but he has to watch the penalties. If you want a battle with international flavor, check out the punters, Lach Edwards and Tom Hackett, a couple of rookies from Australia. Edwards has a big-time leg, giving him a slight edge over his countryman.

rest of above article : 

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/61094/with-camp-approaching-jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-qb-drama-intensifies

• 2 weeks later...

In his second year with the Jets,  Buster Skrineicon-article-link.gif  is vying for a starting defensive back spot opposite Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif . The Georgia boy doesn’t shy away from competition, or from showing his swag factor.

Q. How would you describe your hairstyle and do blondes really have more fun?
I think it’s pretty dope. I like to call it a dreaded mohawk. At first, I had a little mohawk or fohawk, and then it got a little higher. When I was in Cleveland I was like, ‘man I’m not cutting my hair anymore,’ so I just dreaded it instead. So now I got the dred-hawk. I wouldn’t really consider myself a blonde though.

Q. You’re always looking pretty fresh in the style department. Did you feel like you had to step up your game when you came to NYC?
I just have different style. I dress my own way. It’s a little wild. You know what I’m saying? But I got swag behind it. I didn’t need to step up my style game after coming to New York – I always had swag.

Q. What’s the story behind your nickname Buster?
My grandma. I’m from the South, so we get nicknames. My dad’s real name is Darryl and so is mine, but really it’s Butch and Buster. Everybody down south has a nickname, and that’s all we go by.

Q. It looks like you run with PF Flyers on all the time. How has running track in college helped you become a better football player?
I ran the 4 x 100 and the long jump. Being fast helps my game with recovery speed and stuff like that. It can get me out of trouble sometimes, and it helps me make plays on the ball. I’ve got a nice little stride on me, so a lot of times, I don’t have to run as hard as the other guys too.

Q. What’s the hardest workout you’ve ever been through? 
Probably in college. We did the 300-yard shuttle, four times. You had to run 25 yards up and down, until you equal 300 yards – we ran it five times and had like 50 something seconds to finish it – hardest workout ever. In the NFL, it’s different, you have some hard workouts, but they are tailored for the younger guys and older guys together. You know it’s hard if you’re breathing really heavy and you’re not even halfway through your workout.

Q. How badly do you want to fill that second starting defensive back spot this season?
It’s a competition right now, but I definitely want that spot. Marcus (Williams) led the team in interceptions, (Dee) Milliner is a former first-round pick. All of us get along. We are all good players and, I mean, we just battle it out in camp. We hang out on and off the field, so that’s the type of group we are. 

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/The-Skinny-Buster-Skrine/c7bf0577-8b97-4a11-9e9a-f53d62757f5d

Buster Skrine has never played in a playoff game. Not during his four years with the Cleveland Browns, nor during his first and only season with the Jets.

For that, few could blame New York's nickel corner if his goal for this year was to simply continue playing into January. Heck, that would be an accomplishment for the Jets, too, who have watched the playoffs from home the last half decade.But Skrine and the Jets don't want the playoffs. Well, not only the playoffs. See, their sights are set a bit higher.

"We want to win a Super Bowl," Skrine told NJ Advance Media last week. "That's our goal. We come to practice each day because everyone wants to win a Super Bowl."

Gang Green came within spitting distance of the postseason a year ago. Having finished 2015 with an impressive 10-6 mark, tiebreakers kept the Jets home. But while for many a six-win improvement from a 4-12 record the year prior would be marked as a success, the manner in which the Jets' season came to a close may be why it stings all when brought up. 

Facing a win-and-in situation Week 17, New York lost to the Buffalo Bills, who were playing for nothing, 22-17."We were plays away last year... plays away," Skrine said. "We want to build off of that and be a better team. We definitely want to go to the playoffs, but that's not it."

It may have taken until the final minute to make it happen, but near every Jets starter from last year has returned to make another run in 2016. Following the re-signing of quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, on offense, just running back Matt Forte (replacing Chris Ivory) and offensive tackle Ryan Clady (replacing D'Brickashaw Ferguson) are new. Afterbringing back Muhammad Wilkerson, on defense, Skrine himself is replacing Antonio Cromartie, linebacker Erin Henderson steps in for Demario Davis and Steve McLendon takes over at nose tackle for Damon Harrison. 

That's five new faces... and 17 returning. The strong carryover is a unicorn in today's ever-changing NFL.

Will that be enough to get New York over the hump? Skrine seems to think so.

"I'm just glad our guys are back," Skrine said. "We're the same team. We've got the same people back... We're just trying to get the bond back, get rolling again and pick up right where we left off."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_buster_skrine_we_want_to_win_a_super_bowl.html#incart_river_index

• 2 weeks later...

Marcus Williamsicon-article-link.gif  has a knack for making plays. Last season he led the team with six interceptions while playing 27% of the defensive snaps. Furthermore, he added one forced fumble, one recovery and seven special teams tackles. But 2016 isn’t about maintaining status quo, it’s about advancing his craft.“I want to continue to get better every single day and build on last year,” Williams said regarding his training camp goals. “Focus on little things like tackling, get better in coverage. There are a lot of things I can get better at that I’m focusing on. I’ve been working on them in the offseason and preseason, and then studying the game with the older guys as well.”

Lucky for Williams, he has the chance to pick the brain of a preeminent corner in  Darrelle Revisicon-article-link.gif .

“It’s real helpful because you can see what he sees,” he said. “He’s a guy that’s been around for a long time and has done very well. When you have a guy like that, you can learn from him and see how he approaches meetings, practice and the game. It’s something good to look after.”

Williams, who also holds a prominent role on special teams, is competing for the starting spot opposite Revis. The North Dakota State product is picking up where he left off last season — around the ball. After he made a deft tackle on punt coverage resulting in a one-yard loss against Jacksonville, he nearly came away with an interception in Tuesday’s practice. The 5’11”, 196-pounder is eager to take the field Friday against the Redskins following the first taste of football against the Jags.

“I’m excited to go against other receivers like DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon as opposed to the guys we see every single day,” he said. “They’re different types of receivers.  Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif ,  Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif and  Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif  are big physical guys and I think the Redskins have more speedy guys.”

As for individual goals this season? Nonexistent.

Williams made it clear: “I have more of a team goal — make the playoffs.”

>       http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Marcus-Williams-Still-Has-Playmaking-Flair/6a99d7f6-6537-409d-a216-bafe34b8514c

On 7/12/2016 at 9:54 AM, kelly said:

The season took a downturn for Skrine after he was injured against the Patriots in the sixth game of the season. He hurt his right shoulder on a huge hit on Julian Edelman and also broke a bone in his left hand. Skrine was not the same player after those injuries. He played through them, but Bowles seemed hesitant to use him as a blitzer.

On 7/12/2016 at 9:54 AM, kelly said:

Coverage probably was the weakest part of Skrine’s debut season with the Jets. Pro Football Focus graded Skrine as the 94th cornerback out of 111, largely because of his coverage issues.

I had no idea that Skrine was this banged up last year.  

I do agree that his coverage skills are suspect and I'm expecting either Milliner or Williams to play on the outside this year, more or less full time.  

Less than two years ago, Marcus Williams was without a job. He’s now battling to be a starter for the Jets.

He’s gone from the outhouse to the penthouse in a hurry.

So much has changed for the undrafted defensive back from North Dakota State. To ensure his career continues on an upward arc, he still has the same mindset he had when all 32 teams passed on him in the 2014 draft.“I just keep that chip on my shoulder,” Williams said Sunday after practice. “I know how far I came, know how hard I worked, to get to where I am. That just motivates me every single day.”

Williams is insistent he’s fighting for a roster spot, while the biggest question is when he will play, not if he will make the team. Currently, he’s the third cornerback on the depth chart, though he sees plenty of first-team reps, often playing the outside while Buster Skrine is in the slot.Williams, 25, is coming off a breakthrough season, one in which he came up with six interceptions despite receiving just 27 percent of the defensive snaps. He forced his way onto the field, after starting the year as the fourth corner, behind Darrelle Revis, Skrine and Antonio Cromartie. But Williams views last season as having nothing to do with this one. He has to prove himself all over again.

“Last season won’t make you play good this season. It’s a fresh start,” he said. “They’re bringing guys in from draft picks to free agents. You’re fighting for a job again. That’s how I look at it, that’s how I approach it. Never feel comfortable. You don’t want to be in that position that you feel comfortable you have a spot, because you can lose it just like that.”He hasn’t changed, but his fortune certainly has. The Jets signed Williams to their practice squad in September 2014, after the Texans cut him in August, and he was on the active roster by the end of October. He still returns home to Minnesota in the offseason, as he has every year, and still works with the same trainer. He still believes he’s fighting to get through the final cut.

“To stay motivated, that’s my thing,” Williams said. “I know where I came from. I remember when I was down and nobody knew who I was. I came up the charts. If you want to stay at a high level, you have to make sure you’re doing your job.”Now comes the hard part. With expectations comes pressure. He has never been through this before, not at the NFL level.With his spot on the roster basically assured and the chance to be the No. 2 corner behind Revis, Williams isn’t going to surprise anybody anymore. His answer is the same as it was in 2014: Outwork everybody.

“For me, it’s about getting better every single day,” he said. “Controlling what I can control.”

Williams and Jets coach Todd Bowles both admitted this hasn’t necessarily been his finest camp. A ballhawk, he is still looking for his first interception. That was the case in Friday’s preseason loss to the Redskins, when Williams gave up a touchdown to wide receiver Rashad Ross. Williams conceded there are some plays he would like back, and Bowles believes he still thinks too much, instead of relying on natural ability and instincts.Williams wants to become a more complete corner this year, to be known as much for his tackling as his coverage skills. But his only goal is to make the playoffs. And, of course, earn a spot on the roster.

“You always want to be out on the field,” he said. “I want to do whatever I can to make sure I’m out there.”

>       http://nypost.com/2016/08/21/why-jets-cb-revelation-refuses-to-admit-hes-made-it/

I think it fair to say M Williams is having a bad pre-season.  I hope either Milliner steps up or Williams turns it around, or both.  If neither happen this could be a real problem.

Let's hope Milliner doesn't stub a toe or twist an ankle when stepping up or he will go to PUP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

2nd corner is the position that has me worried the most on this team. Hopefully by mid season we get lucky and Burris is starting, so Williams and Skrine can stick to nickel and dime backs. 

I'm really worried about this spot as well. I think Skrine is an average player whose best suited for the inside. He's a good tackler. But his cover skills aren't great and he gets flagged a lot.

Williams is the product of low playing time hype IMO. I don't think he's much of anything. Maybe a decent 4th corner. He had a lot of picks last year but that's not a good way to judge a player.

I know he's hated but Milliner has the most talent of the 3. Unfortunately the guy can't get on the field and struggled mightily as a rookie when he saw most of his playing time. This regime doesn't seem to like him at all. Burris stepping up seems like our best hope for this year.

Revis - Slowing down but still a top corner in the NFL.

Skrine - Below average corner, but sure can blitz! Coverage skills subpar.

Williams - Looked big in small role, looked small in big role. Solid depth, not starting quality.

Milliner - Can't stay healthy, when does gets beaten often. Flashes talent, but never consistent. The Geno of corners.

McDougle - Is he even alive? His roster spot is definitely in danger.

Burris - 4th rounder who has show promise, but still just a rookie.

Those are the corners on this team. In a passing league, it's not good enough. Hopefully, the pass rush can be consistent enough to mask some of those, but even that may be asking too much.

Todd Bowles was asked a point-blank question today of the kind that a lot of NFL reporters ask head coaches at this time of the preseason: Now with training camp over, who were the most improved players at camp?

Bowles just doesn't bite on these  questions  unless he's ready to answer them. Today he was ready."I would say it's Buster at this point, and maybe [Brian] Winters," the Jets head coach said of his cornerback and his guard. "I'd probably go with those two."

Buster Skrine  was happy to hear that, and he had a theory about why Bowles feels that way."Every day I just come in and compete, try to compete like it's a  game ," he said. "I think coaches and players take notice of that, that I take practice serious."But neither Bowles nor Skrine was ready to declare Skrine the corner starter opposite  Darrelle Revis  for the season opener against Cincinnati on Sept. 11. I asked Buster if that endorsement means he's got the  job  or if the fight still goes on with  Marcus Williams ,  Dee Milliner  and others at the position.

"They haven't said somebody's the starter yet," Skrine said. "I'm going to say it's still a fight."But one goal Skrine has for this season is a simple math and the answer is 100 percent."Last year I was in 80 percent of defensive plays and that was just nickel. Who knows how many plays I'll play " if he gets the starting nod, he said. "I want to stay on the field the whole game, though." Skrine's production hasn't been much in the two preseason games — he has four tackles, no picks or PDs, on his 39 defensive snaps. But playing the outside in the base and moving inside on the nickel, he made solid plays throughout the course of camp.

Yet when asked what was his favorite part of the last month, he talked not about interceptions but about reps."Probably the Green & White scrimmage," he said, referring to the Aug. 6 evening practice, "just because we had a lot of plays called that day. Just knowing any call that came in, I was like, 'I got it,' instead of thinking about it and what to do."Skrine exudes a quiet confidence in his abilities, and that confidence doesn't waver in the face of a matchup against the Giants that could feature WRs Odell Beckham Jr. and, returning from his groin injury, Victor Cruz. Skrine called the game "the battle of New York, so it's a big game," and he gave insight into how he's approaching it.

"I just want to  win the  game in general. That's the mindset you want here," he said. "But I definitely know however long the starters play, I want to have a dominating performance, go in there, run the calls right, get off the field on third down."

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Skrine-Keeps-on-Competing-on-the-Corner/12b0dd3f-b6ae-4356-b211-9efd06915be6

I was frankly surprised to hear Bowles refer to Skrine in answering that question.  Did he just mean in camp rather than in the two games?  In those games I don't think Skrine looked particularly good, but he was playing against the #1 in the Jville game, which he won't be asked to do with Revis on the field.  It is also true I have been looking more at Milliner and M Williams, both of whom have been disappointing, in Williams's case flat out bad.

But yeah, a big test for skrine against the Giants, who have real talent in both starting wideouts. 

Failure is not an option for Buster Skrine, and neither is missing the playoffs. The Jets cornerback has no doubts that his team will be postseason-bound come January. “We are, definitely, a playoff team,” Skrine said Monday in an interview with Newsday. Skrine also has set personal goals for 2016, including finishing in the top 5 in the NFL in passes defensed and earning his first Pro Bowl nod. “I need some kind of accolade coming out of this year,” he said.

Prior to signing a four-year, $25-million deal with the Jets last offseason, Skrine was just hitting his stride with the Browns. In 2014, his fourth season in Cleveland, he tied for eighth in the NFL with a career-high four interceptions and tied for fourth with 18 passes defensed. Now, he’s looking to take his game to the next level in Todd Bowles’ system. “In college, you get All-American and all that. When you get in the NFL, you want the same thing, the same standard,” Skrine said. “Last year, I played the majority in nickel, so I understand.

In Cleveland, I probably had one of my better years playing corner and nickel my fourth year. So I feel like if I come in again this year and do the same thing, you know what? Maybe I will go to the Pro Bowl. That’s my personal goal. To go to the Pro Bowl this year.” He added with a smile: “I’m getting old. I’m six years in.” What he lacks in size, Skrine (5-9, 185) always has made up for with tenacity. His competitive drive and scrappy play made him an instant favorite among coaches and teammates who appreciate his 100-mph motor. “Buster is a joy to coach. Really a coach’s dream,” defensive backs coach Joe Danna said. “He goes hard every day, likes coaching, wants to be coached, wants to find ways he can get better. And a guy who has his ability, who can play inside and out, is really a luxury.” Skrine is competing with good friend Marcus Williams for the starting spot opposite Darrelle Revis. Skrine feels good about his chances.

“I’m not going to say I’m the starter right now because we’re still in training camp,’’ he said. “But I think I have a great chance of starting.” Asked whether the competition has affected his friendship with Williams, he said: “On the field, we’re good friends and off the field, I probably hang out with him the most. So it’s a brotherhood. At the end of the day, we can’t make the decision. That’s up to our coaches and the front office. We just come out here and compete every day and whatever happens, happens.”

His aggressive style of play hasn’t been an issue for receivers who line up against him in one-on-one or 11-on-11 drills. Instead, guys like Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall appreciate his effort. “I think the offensive guys respect me because I do practice hard and I give them a good look,” Skrine said. “It’s better going against somebody who’s going full speed than a halfway guy, and when you get in a game, you’re jammed at the line because you haven’t had a guy challenge you.” His fellow defensive backs also can’t help but be a bit envious of his quickness. “Sometimes Calvin (Pryor’s) like, ‘Let me touch your hands so I can get some of that speed.’ Or they ask, ‘Man, how do you always run around like that and not get tired?’ ’Cause I don’t get in the cold tub or nothing like that. It’s all natural. I don’t get sore.”

>        http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-cornerback-buster-skrine-s-goals-make-playoffs-pro-bowl-1.12215685

There's no doubt the other side of Revis will have their hands full. Skrine has not showed me he's the complete answer on the other side if you go by the 1st two preseason games. He did well last year on the inside and I'd like to see him stay there. Burris is looking good and up and coming but rookies are just that...rookies. I'd like to see Millner break out this year but I keep saying that every year. Williams is just not there yet. We could be in trouble on the other side of Revis. I'm hoping out O-line and LB's get the blitz push we need this year.

Buster Skrine might be the most important player on the Jets roster whom most football fans have never heard of.

Despite being among the team’s key free-agent signings before the 2015 season, the Jets cornerback is not considered one of the team’s stars.

He’s not a quarterback. He doesn’t carry the kind of high-profile cachet that receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker do. He’s not a part of the stout defensive line, which anchors the Jets’ defense that ranked fourth in the NFL last season.Yet the Jets doled out $25 million over four years with $13 million guaranteed to Skrine before last season — and he was not even a starter. Skrine was the nickel corner last year, though in this day and age in the league, nickel backs might as well be starters (more on that later).This year, with the Jets opting not to bring Antonio Cromartie back, Skrine moves from nickel to starting outside cornerback opposite Darrelle Revis, who’s arguably the biggest star on the team.

This is a move both Skrine and Revis are looking forward to.

“I’m definitely excited to be where I’m at,” Skrine said Monday. “I’m excited to be on the other side of Revis, because you know you’re going to have opportunities to make plays. He has two picks already in preseason, so you know teams aren’t going to throw his way a lot. I know I’m going to get some opportunities.

“I get a chance to prove that I am an outside corner and can play that just as well as I can play nickel and still be good.”

On Monday, Revis sounded certain the 26-year-old Skrine, who played his first four seasons with the Browns, a starter in 2013 and 2014, is going to fit into his new role well.“Buster has been one of the key pieces to our defense since he came here,” Revis said. “We paid him big money. He’s been a big part of us blitzing, because of his speed. Buster is a very smart football player and he has great instinct. He started on the outside in Cleveland, so he definitely is very confident playing on the outside as well.”

When Skrine’s prediction of having the chance for more opportunities playing on the other side for Revis was relayed to him, Revis smiled and said, “The more the merrier.”What was most impressive about Skrine, who came off the best season of his career in 2014 with four interceptions, was the way he came to the big New York market and blended in so seamlessly.“I didn’t feel any pressure,” Skrine said. “At the end of the day, it’s all football. It’s a game I’ve been playing since sixth grade.”Asked if he’s a better nickel or outside corner, Skrine said: “I feel like I’m the same at both. Every down I like to compete. I’m a high-energy guy on the field.”

The 5-foot-9, 185-pound Skrine has become one of the most popular players in the Jets’ locker room and one of the reasons is his willingness to “put his face in the fan,” as former Jets coach Al Groh used to say. Skrine is unafraid of contact. He often delivers some of the most tenacious hits in games despite his lack of size.That aggressive style hurt him — literally — last season when he injured his right shoulder making a crunching hit on Patriots receiver Julian Edelman in Week 7. He also broke a bone in his left hand.

With Skrine healthy this season, look for Jets coach Todd Bowles to blitz him often because of his outside speed.The biggest difference for Skrine this year will be added playing time. Skrine said he was on the field for about 80 percent of the defensive snaps last season, a number that will increase to about 100 percent this year.

“If I had a say-so, nickel corners should run out of the tunnel and be considered one of the starters … and they should have a Pro Bowl position for a nickel,” Skrine said. “Think about it: Nickels are getting paid now, so you can tell nickel positions are important.”

>       http://nypost.com/2016/08/30/this-unknown-defensive-player-might-be-jets-most-important/

• 3 weeks later...

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

~ ~    5. Ball magnet strikes again : Marcus Williams has an uncanny ability to find the football. Or maybe, as Darrelle Revis said, "The ball finds him." The Jets' nickel back already has two interceptions, giving him eight over the last 18 games. That covers only 360 defensive snaps, which means he averages one interception for every 45 snaps. Projected over a full season, in an every-down role, Williams would have about 22 interceptions. That's crazy.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/63216/jets-welcome-matt-forte-with-heavy-workload-too-heavy-for-own-good

The Jets, through two games, have experiencedsignificant problems with allowing long passes. Sometimes, this has stemmed from their best cornerback, Darrelle Revis, being burned. Other times, opponents' deep-ball success resulted from the Jets busting a coverage. 

The latter is something that doesn't particularly worry cornerback Buster Skrine. Yes, he would rather the Jets not bust a coverage. But this is not a season-long concern for Skrine, who remains confident in his secondary."Busted coverages, you definitely don't want to do that, because the mental side of the game, you should always have that right," he said. "But knowing that it's a busted coverage, it's not like: 'All right, we can't play with this team because of our talent.' It's a busted coverage, so it's something we can fix." 

Strong safety Calvin Pryor knows Jets coach Todd Bowles, a former NFL safety, doesn't take kindly to busted coverages."I think that's why he's on us so hard, because he once played safety," Pryor said. "It messes with him. But I'm not going to get close to him, to find out how bad. Just keep my distance." 

Bowles said the Jets are making film-room corrections on these deep-ball mishaps, and then working the situations in practice "over and over, ad nauseam, until you're blue in the face, until we get it right."But he acknowledged he won't know if the problems are truly fixed until the Jets prove it in games, especially with how they communicate, to avoid long balls. 

In Week 1, the Jets allowed a 54-yard touchdown pass to A.J. Green, due to a busted coverage. The Bengals also had catches of 29, 32, 49, and 54 yards.In Week 2, Revis was straight-up burned deep for an 84-yard touchdown catch by Marquise Goodwin. The Bills also had a 71-yard touchdown pass, when the Jets botched their coverage. 

Of the 663 total passing yards for the Bengals' Andy Dalton and the Bills' Tyrod Taylor, 373 (56 percent) came on those seven big plays.

The Jets head to Kansas City this week expecting the Chiefs to test them deep."It's a copycat league," Skrine said. "Teams scout what teams aren't going to be good at, so I do expect some deep balls. They like to throw it in the middle of the field, between the hashes. But they do take their shots." 

Skrine cited the speed of the Chiefs' top wide receiver, Jeremy Maclin, as something the Jets must monitor in deep-ball situations.Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith isn't known for taking a lot of deep shots. Last season, he ranked 14th in the NFL in passing yards per attempt. The previous two seasons, he ranked 23rd and 29th. So far this year, he is 29th."Until we limit the explosive plays, we expect teams to keep coming after us," Pryor said. "But at the same time, we're up for it. We've been talking about [the busted coverage issue] since it happened in Week 1. I'm pretty sure coach is going to keep harping on it until things get fixed." 

>                 http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/why_buster_skrine_isnt_worried_about_jets_struggle.html#incart_river_index

Archived