[emoji378] it all to Smithorines? [thoughts]

jetsfan719

This topic has been talked about before, but its a change from everything fitz..

Trying to see where most of us stand.

At this point now would u rather hit the reset button and blow this all up to hell and suck for next 5 years straight and getting top 5 picks year after year in hopes of drafting our guy. or continue being average and continue this merry go round thats been going on since 1968?

I know this has been talked about before, like i said just figure change things up a bit and see where we all stand.

And i know teams dont "lose out" on purpose, its bad business.

But does any part of u wish we wuld literally get rid of any vets any high caliber players revis, wilkerson drama etc and start with a clean slate?

Because the ny jets never fully hit reset button. And thats the problem. We do these half fast rebuild reset strategy's that get us nowhere.

What do u guys think

Our roster has always had good players. We can't really do a complete reset. One 'fire sale' and the franchise will actually take several steps backwards without any guarantees. We've had high draft picks several times. That's never a guarantee. We spent many years hoping Chad would be the guy. Then we had Sanchez who showed flashes the first couple of years n thought he'd find consistency. Now we think it's Fitz or Geno. We have too much talent to hit the reset button. It'll always be a fast 1-2 year rebuild even with a complete new CS n FO. 

The flaw in that line of thinking is that once they have "the guy"  is assuming Jets mgmnt has the know how to build a line and a CS able to utilize the assumed franchise QBs strengths.

How many times has a top prospect been ruined by injuries caused poor o-line play, or not lived up to expectations from lousy coaching, coaching changes, poor game plans.

After Supe 111 Joe Namath was ruined by this, Later on so was Kenny O.He became a shell shocked tackling dummy. Look at Kap, RG111, Carr in houston. There are more.

Sorry OP but this is a silly "thought experiment".  The way our cap and contract are structured it's not possible to "blow it up".

Besides which, we have too much talent on this team which should be jelling in year two of this regime.  If Geno clicks this year or if Hack clicks next year or if a halfway good FA QB becomes available next year then this team is set to go on a run.       

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Sorry OP but this is a silly "thought experiment".  The way our cap and contract are structured it's not possible to "blow it up".

Besides which, we have too much talent on this team which should be jelling in year two of this regime.  If Geno clicks this year or if Hack clicks next year or if a halfway good FA QB becomes available next year then this team is set to go on a run.       

+1

Also for as tough as the schedule starts out, there are too many easy-win games on the schedule and the rest of this team is too good - even in the absence of a truly good QB - to lose enough to land the #1 pick. The only way that could happen this year is through a barrage of significant injuries, on top of Mo sitting out the first 10 games.  We'd even likely lose any non-head-to-head tiebreakers if it came down to SOS. 

Beyond even that, the idea of sucking on purpose for 5 years is beyond ridiculous. Even the rare team that tanks on purpose doesn't do it for more than 1 season (ok, 2 seasons if you're Idzik).

7 hours ago, jetsfan719 said:

At this point now would u rather hit the reset button and blow this all up to hell and suck for next 5 years straight and getting top 5 picks year after year in hopes of drafting our guy. or continue being average and continue this merry go round thats been going on since 1968?

What do u guys think

Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker say GFY.

If the Jets had say, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Big Ben maybe even a Carson Palmer or a Matt Ryan type QB...the Jets are legit contenders.  

If they had a Blake Bortles, Jameis Winston, Derek Carr or maybe Mariotta (still not sure about him) - we're talking about a 10 year run of challenging the Cheatriots and primed to take over the division when Fraud Brady retires.  Hopefully Hack is that guy for us.  

So, hell no you dont hit the reset button.  Just find a ******* QB.  And Geno Smith might be the best route to that...because he either becomes the man in a better climate or he's the Geno we've seen over the years and we are in the Watson sweepstakes in next years draft and we have a serious prospect battle for QB next season.

It's a win/win situation.  

I think the Jets may have a top 5 defense, so an offense that can score some and not turn the ball over would stand a chance to make the playoffs. I'm not buying the "strength of schedule" bullcrap because every team is different from year to year. I don't think the Bengals are that much better than the Jets, nor the Cardinals and Seahawks. With a decent year from Fitz, a few big plays from or TE's or Matt Forte making plays at RB I think the offense will score enough to get some close wins. I can see 10-6 or 6-10 depending on how well the QB plays.

17 hours ago, jetsfan719 said:

This topic has been talked about before, but its a change from everything fitz..

Trying to see where most of us stand.

I know this has been talked about before, like i said just figure change things up a bit and see where we all stand.

And i know teams dont "lose out" on purpose, its bad business.

But does any part of u wish we wuld literally get rid of any vets any high caliber players revis, wilkerson drama etc and start with a clean slate?

Because the ny jets never fully hit reset button. And thats the problem. We do these half fast rebuild reset strategy's that get us nowhere.

What do u guys think

Give me an example of a team that has successfully used this reset button approach. 

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

Also for as tough as the schedule starts out, there are too many easy-win games on the schedule and the rest of this team is too good - even in the absence of a truly good QB - to lose enough to land the #1 pick. The only way that could happen this year is through a barrage of significant injuries, on top of Mo sitting out the first 10 games.  We'd even likely lose any non-head-to-head tiebreakers if it came down to SOS. 

Beyond even that, the idea of sucking on purpose for 5 years is beyond ridiculous. Even the rare team that tanks on purpose doesn't do it for more than 1 season (ok, 2 seasons if you're Idzik).

If the next Peyton were coming out next year then losing might make sense otherwise you need a team to be built when that franchise QB falls in your lap. 

Everyone talks about Indy being lucky, but it must suck to get the next great thing then ruin him.  

Seattle was ready for Wilson. otherwise he could have been the next Brees and been traded away. 

Archived