RIP Buddy Ryan

courtnj18

40 minutes ago, Larz said:

Rip to a true innovator

12 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

RIP, Created perhaps the Best D of all time, 85 Bears Monsters of Medway. A feisty guy but all Football,

This and this.

Buddy was real deal. 

His son, well we can discuss his narcissist personality disorder another time.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Rex isn't even better than the guy he replaced in Buffalo.

Nor was Rex better than most of the other DC's before him in Baltimore, where that roster was single-handedly responsible for the most significant uptick in Peter Principle'ing defensive coordinators in the history of the league.

Agreed... I was being a bit more "diplomatic"  to avoid a fight on the board. :)

Jets D also turned in one of the all-time great "bend but don't break" performances in Super Bowl 3.  They allowed plenty of yards but always seemed to find a way to prevent points.

Wait a second, I thought all Jets fans rank defenses on yards allowed, and not points allowed?

Your post is a perfect example why yards allowed is a meaningless statistic in measuring a defense.

The 3 biggest reasons why the Jets won that game:

1) Namath calling great plays (he called them all) based on what the defense would allow.

2) Winston Hill absolutely dominating the right side of the Colts DLine.

3) Jets defense playing a perfect "bend, but don't break" defense.

Just to stay on topic, Buddy Ryan changed the way defenses are played in the NFL to this day.

RIP

Remembering Buddy: I'm an old time Jet fan and went to the practices at Hofstra (when they were there) where I could ride my bike to from where I lived in Merrick, LI.

I didn't know who he was at the time (but it was Buddy) and while the other coaches would speak to their units, Buddy would yell so loud you could hear him from way across the field. It was kind of scary! One memorable quote I heard him yell was: "Number 80!!! Pro Bowl my a$$".

Number 80 was John Elliott, Pro Bowl defensive tackle. 

Buddy could care less who you were if you weren't doing your job...RIP Buddy

And oh yeah....these two little kids we saw running around the field, and we were wondering who they were....it was Rex and Rob...LOL...

Archived