Brian Winters ~ ~ ~

kelly

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game. I also am not including Ryan Fitzpatrick on the list because he is not technically a Jet at this time.

No. 24: Brian Winters

Last year’s ranking: Not Ranked

Position: Right guard

in-art-soundanimation-icon-41x48.gifAge: 24

How acquired: Selected in the third round of the 2013 Draft

Years left on contract: 1

2016 Salary Cap figure: $1.8 million

Looking back at 2015: After playing left guard for the first two seasons of his career, Winters moved to right guard last year after the Jets signed James Carpenter as a free agent.Winters lost a training-camp competition to Willie Colon and started the year on the bench. Colon ended up sidelined with a chronic knee condition that eventually led to him being placed on season-ending injured reserve. Winters stepped in and started 10 games.

Winters showed improvement in 2015, but still was not consistent enough to think the Jets are going to commit to him as the long-term answer at the position. He played well in his first start of the year, facing Ndamukong Suh and the Dolphins in London. He limited Suh that day, though Suh had a better day against him in the second meeting.Pro Football Focus ranked Winters 62nd among guards last year. He showed flashes last season of the mauling run blocker he was touted to be out of Kent State, but his pass blocking is shaky.

Outlook for 2016: Winters is going to open training camp as the starting right guard. There are not any real challengers for the job, so it should be his. This is the final year of his rookie contract, so if he wants a future with the Jets, he has a lot to prove this season.

Winters has improved each season he has played, going from extremely shaky as a rookie to good at times, but inconsistent, last year. If he can somehow take another step this season, that might be enough for the Jets to consider keeping him. The Jets offensive line is going through a transition right now, and there are going to be plenty of spots that general manager Mike Maccagnan needs to address in the upcoming years. He might be content to stick with Winters at right guard while addressing some of the other pressing needs.

>     http://nypost.com/2016/06/24/brian-winters-faces-make-or-break-jets-season/

At first it was a little depressing to think about Winters' mediocrity making a "top" list for the Jets, but it did make me feel a little better when realizing that ranking #24 means there are backups listed ahead of him, and that's before counting any rookies who will turn out to be better than him this year.  Of course, the fact that he's likely going to be a starter makes it suck again.

Barring a breakout season from Winters, or one of the countless young OL the Jets have brought in the past few years finally stepping up, the Jets will be looking for someone new soon enough.

Winters is a good lineman. He's shown improvement and had solid games against elite competition. I have no problem starting the season with him as our right or left guard.  If you're getting better than you're an asset. Vlad never got better. He was a detriment. Winters has a future in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Winters is a good lineman. He's shown improvement and had solid games against elite competition. I have no problem starting the season with him as our right or left guard.  If you're getting better than you're an asset. Vlad never got better. He was a detriment. Winters has a future in my opinion. 

Hopefully he continues to improve his pass protection, and can maul in the run game. I think he will look better if we can get someone to step up next to him. 

If Clady remains healthy then we could have a pretty damn good line. Right tackle is shaky but most of the pressure last year came from extra rushers beating up on our TEs and RBs. Still missing a blocking TE but the RB blocking has been astronomically improved. 

3 hours ago, ljr said:

TE is equally bad ... WHoTF are we even saying is starting TE at this moment?

Amaro is set to be the starter. But we don't have a legit every-down TE until Amaro proves he can be a consistent blocker and cut down on the drops.

But this is a set of TEs that are used independently and have roles, IMO. Enunwa was used pretty well as an H-back, Davis was used as a blocking TE, Amaro will be used as a 'split' end or 'receiving TE', Sudfeld is depth. Vander Laan, Bostick and Saxton are all fringe bubble guys.

So while the Jets don't have a legit every down TE, they have multiple guys that can contribute to fill that role. In particular, the pressure is on Amaro to be productive offensively and show that he has improved in his blocking. I don't think the Jets will be asking him to block much- he is and always has been a receiving threat more than anything else- but they need to incorporate him in the run game so that the PA and Goalline plays are more effective. 

I would not be surprised if the Jets scoop up a TE once cuts start getting made- especially with Davis dealing with a thumb injury and Sudfeld coming off his own injury.  

• 1 month later...

The Jets' offensive line is in a partial transition year. At left tackle,  D'Brickashaw Ferguson  is retired,  Ryan Clady is in. At right guard, Willie Colon is departed and the job is  Brian Winters '.Winters came to the Jets in the third round of the 2013 draft as a strong, feisty young man from Kent State. He's still young — he just celebrated his 25th birthday last month — and still strong. And he's feistier than ever.

"I have a chip on my shoulder. I've had a big chip on my shoulder since my rookie year," he said after Thursday's practice under the hot North Jersey sun at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. "They finally made the transition for me over to right guard and since then it's been a lot better. I'm a natural right-sided player, so everything's moving right along."

Why the big chip ?  

"People talkin', people hatin'," Winters replied. "I'm just trying to show them it's different."

He took over as the left guard starter as a rookie in '13 and started 18 straight games there until an ACL tear ended his second season. Last year Colon started the year at RG and newly signed  James Carpenter  at LG. but Colon's aching knee KO'd him after Game 7 and Winters started the last nine games at his favored spot.Winters may be have an extra edge because Colon was his guru to the pro game."Willie's a mentor to me. We came in here to the Jets together. He came from Pittsburgh and I was a rookie," he said. "He was the kind of guy I leaned on. We talked things through and he kind of guided me."

Now it's Winters' turn to become a grizzled vet and help solidify a unit that could be very solid, with from left to right Clady, Carpenter, center  Nick Mangold , Winters and  Breno Giacomini . With Breno starting camp on the Active/PUP list with a sore back, Winters is doing some mentoring of his own with right tackles  Brent Qvale and  Ben Ijalana ."Now I've got Nick and Breno next to me, and I'm an older guy now, too," he said. "Our line's just picking up where we left off. Obviously different people are stepping in, but we all have a chip on our shoulder and we want to get back and do what we've got to do."

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Brian-Winters-in-the-Right-Spot-on-the-OL/e273e6d4-a978-40da-9dc9-18c4dd2fa3a8

On 6/30/2016 at 9:40 AM, David Harris said:

I may still be smarting from Winters' rookie campaign, he was the worst OL I'd ever seen. He has improved but still is a fringe starter.

Really?   Worse then Vlad the QB Impaler?

33 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Only 25 eh?  I have been ambivalent towards winters for the most part.  Only 25 and a 3 year man, still has potential.

One thing you hear, over and over, is it's getting harder to find good O Linemen.  A lot of your colleges don't play a pro style offense, and with the changes to the CBA, it's harder to develope starters.  I'd bring him back on a decent deal

On 6/30/2016 at 8:40 AM, David Harris said:

I may still be smarting from Winters' rookie campaign, he was the worst OL I'd ever seen. He has improved but still is a fringe starter.

Oh man......Hunter at his worst , Adrian Clarke, Anthony clement.

56 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh man......Hunter at his worst , Adrian Clarke, Anthony clement.

I was not a Herm fan, but...

That last year he was here, when both OT got hurt.   That was the worst O Line I have ever seen as a whole.   Ever.

7 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That last year he was here, when both OT got hurt.   That was the worst O Line I have ever seen as a whole.   Ever.

Kellen Clemens deserved a purple hear in a couple games, especially vs Baltimore when we nearly beat them, (thanks McCairnes!)

41 minutes ago, chirorob said:

++++1!!!

Jets Lost to season ending injuries both their #1QB (Chad Pennington) and #2 (Jay Fiedler) a few plays apart in the same quarter!  Might be some kind of NFL record losing your two top QB's like that.

Curtis Martin kept bangin up against a DL wall until his knee got so bone-on-bone, he had to shut down his season.  He  ended up retiring.

1 hour ago, GreenReaper said:

++++1!!!

Jets Lost to season ending injuries both their #1QB (Chad Pennington) and #2 (Jay Fiedler) a few plays apart in the same quarter!  Might be some kind of NFL record losing your two top QB's like that.

Curtis Martin kept bangin up against a DL wall until his knee got so bone-on-bone, he had to shut down his season.  He  ended up retiring.

What really got me pissed at the FO that year even before that happened was by then Chad's deserved reputation for fragility was established, and the likelihood he would play all 16 was virtually nil.  So who do they go and get to back him up but the equally fragile Fiedler.    No one predicted they would both go down in the same quarter.  But it really was not all that shocking.  And then of course Bollinger was totally unprepared to take over.  What a disaster.

42 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

What really got me pissed at the FO that year even before that happened was by then Chad's deserved reputation for fragility was established, and the likelihood he would play all 16 was virtually nil.  So who do they go and get to back him up but the equally fragile Fiedler.    No one predicted they would both go down in the same quarter.  But it really was not all that shocking.  And then of course Bollinger was totally unprepared to take over.  What a disaster.

The good ole days, lol. Any of the pessimistic bastards on this forum should have to rewatch every game of that season. They'd be coming back here exclaiming, "we're going to the Super Bowl baby!".

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

The good ole days, lol. Any of the pessimistic bastards on this forum should have to rewatch every game of that season. They'd be coming back here exclaiming, "we're going to the Super Bowl baby!".

The FO was out of control that year.  It was perhaps the most frustrating since Vinny went down in the first quarter of the first game of the season.

I was in the stands and saw VT get his foot stuck in that goddam rug and needed help getting off the field. I stood up and yelled "OMG the the season is over."  My fellow season ticket holders looked up at me oddly, and I told them that VT just blew out his Achilles. I mean, I just knew that's what I saw.  What a shame. Parcels had loaded up the roster to make a big push for the SUPE, only to see the season  blow up like that.

Yes...the good 'ol frustrating days to see a promising season go down the tubes on a season ending non contact injury. 

1 minute ago, GreenReaper said:

I was in the stands and saw VT get his foot stuck in that goddam rug and needed help getting off the field. I stood up and yelled "OMG the the season is over."  My fellow season ticket holders looked up at me oddly, and I told them that VT just blew out his Achilles. I mean, I just knew that's what I saw.  What a shame. Parcels had loaded up the roster to make a big push for the SUPE, only to see the season  blow up like that.

Yes...the good 'ol frustrating days to see a promising season go down the tubes on a season ending non contact injury. 

Uggh Rick Meyer

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

They played here in Charlotte that year and boy was that a waste of an afternoon,  Seems like that has been going on for 45 years.  WTF?  It aint easy being green.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian Wintersicon-article-link.gif  had a quiet training camp. He came in every day with his hard hat, punched the time card, put in his work and left with little fanfare. But that all changed this week in Florham Park when OL coach Steve Marshall addressed the media Wednesday.

“I’m a Brian Winters fan,” Marshall said. “In the 18 months I’ve been here, Brian has gotten better and better and has had an outstanding training camp. Hopefully he’ll continue to do so.”

Then hours later, head coach Todd Bowles said Winters was one of the most improved players of training camp.“It’s obviously a good feeling. It shows that my hard work is paying off,” Winters said. “But it’s not something I can sit around and brag about. I need to go continue to perform.”

The 6’4”, 320-pound Kent State product, who started 10 games last season, feels like he is in a good place to the right of C  Nick Mangoldicon-article-link.gif . And Winters has a lot of respect for Marshall, a person he credits for helping him take a step forward this summer.“Coach Marshall is a really good coach and believes in each and every one of us,” Winters said. “He helped me a lot along the way and gave me confidence and obviously that’s carried over.

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Winters-Not-Resting-on-Summer-Laurels-/085b70e9-75cd-4817-8015-46387e2ee428  

Archived