Colts lock up QB Luck to long term deal

faba

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay stuck to his word and locked up franchise quarterback Andrew Luck long term before the start of the season.

The team announced Wednesday that Luck has signed an extension through the 2021 season. Financial terms weren't immediately announced.

The No. 1 overall pick in 2012 out of Stanford, Luck took the NFL by storm the moment he stepped onto the field for the Colts. He made the franchise's transition from Peyton Manning a smooth one by leading it to the playoffs in each of his first three seasons, including the AFC Championship Game in 2014 and back-to-back AFC South titles.

He has the fourth-most passing yards (14,838) by any quarterback in his first four seasons in NFL history. He also is the fourth QB with at least 100 touchdown passes through four years, including an NFL-leading 40 in 2014.

But Luck isn't immune to struggles, either.

The 26-year-old is coming off the worst season of his four-year NFL career, completing just 55.3 percent of his pass attempts and committing 13 turnovers in 2015. He also showed he's not invincible when it comes to taking hits. He missed two games early in the year due to a rib injury and then he missed the final seven games when he suffered a lacerated kidney early in the fourth quarter against the Denver Broncos in Week 9. He also dealt with shoulder and abdominal injuries.

Irsay said earlier this month that he would be "surprised" if the Colts did not agree to a long-term contract extension with Luck.

Luck, in turn, said he wasn't overly concerned about getting a deal done.

"As far as the importance of getting it done or not, if it happens [before training camp], great," Luck said earlier this month. "If it doesn't happen [before training camp], great too. I know I'm a Colt and I'm going to do the best job I can for this team, no matter what the situation is. So it doesn't weigh on me."

The Colts report to training camp July 26 at Anderson (Indiana) University.

Information from ESPN's Mike Wells was used in this report.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

i'm seeing:

• 6 years. $140 mil
  • worth $75 mil in first 3 year
  • biggest deal in league history

I'm sure since Fitzpatrick had a better year, he's now going to want "Luck money"

Luck has orchestrated 10 fourth-quarter comebacks and 14 game-winning drives in just 55 regular-season games.  He also has the size, athleticism and intelligence that would allow him to have success in any system. 

Last year was disappointing for him, but they brought in a new OL coach, and I doubt some of the flukey stuff (like Frank Gore fumbling twice at the goalline) happens again this year to hurt the offense as a whole. 

Not to mention, he's only 27. 

He's worth every penny of whatever he gets. 

1 minute ago, faba said:
AP Photo/AJ Mast
8mMike Wells

Colts lock up Luck with massive long-term deal

Andrew Luck will earn $140 million over six years in his newly signed extension, Colts owner Jim Irsay said. The star QB also will take home an NFL-high $87 million in guarantees.

Gigantic numbers for sure.  But even so, somewhere out there, Clayton Kershaw just yawned.

33 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So the best young QB in the NFL just signed for 6 years 140 mil with 87 mil guaranteed and our D lineman thinks he should get 6 year 100 mil and 60 mil guaranteed?    Yea right 

no wonder Macc could not trade him, who would pay that. 

What do you think about Suh, Vernon, etc? 

What does one have to do with the other?

Nothing

I'm not as hot on Luck as most and I thought last year as a good example of why he shouldn't be paid the biggest deal in league history. He was surrounded by trash but failed to elevate the team commensurate with the biggest deal in league history. Instead he seemed to be drowned by the rest of the roster. I dunno, he's definitely not Manning 2.0.

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

just imagine what they will have to pay geno when his deal is up

Yup.  Like I've said in the past, they should lock him up now long-term.

Think about it.  Luck went 8-8 last season with a better team than Geno had back in 2013 when he went 8-8.  

38 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Think about it.  Luck went 8-8 last season with a better team than Geno had back in 2013 when he went 8-8.  

Man, I know your just trying to troll and mess with people but you really have something wrong with you. 

19 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Man, I know your just trying to troll and mess with people but you really have something wrong with you. 

I was half serious there.  

Pay Geno as much as Luck?  Of course not.

Realize that good QBs on bad teams play badly, yes.  Luck on the Jets in 2013 and 2014 would have been a failure as well.

Edit:  Luck on last year's Jets squad probably equates to SB champs.

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

the price only goes up

4 hours ago, faba said:

When you have a franchise QB you lock him in just what the Colts did- now get him a defense and offensive line -hah

It's amazing, the Colts have had two generational QBs in a row, and manage every year to neglect the Def and OL for both of them.

45 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's amazing, the Colts have had two generational QBs in a row, and manage every year to neglect the Def and OL for both of them.

The Colts' front office is living proof that it's better to be lucky than smart. 

Archived