Johnny football suspended 4 games-so far

faba

Quarterback Johnny Manziel has been suspended four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, a source confirmed to ESPN.

TMZ Sports first reported news on Manziel's suspension.

Manziel, 23, is a free agent after being released by the Cleveland Browns earlier this year.

His four-game suspension becomes effective immediately. If he signs with a team, Manziel would be suspended for the first four games of the 2016 season and conceivably could play in Week 5.

But Manziel also could face additional discipline under the personal conduct police for other transgressions, including being charged with assaulting his girlfriend, sources told ESPN.

Manziel is sincere with his plans to get sober this summer, a source close to the quarterback said Wednesday.

"I do believe he's serious," the source told ESPN. "He's talked for a while about knuckling down, getting ready and working out. It's more about health and having options and feeling good. If that works out for this season, great. But if not, that's OK too."

When asked if that turn to sobriety would require treatment, the source wasn't sure.

Though Manziel seems to be partying too much, he sounds "mostly OK" when the two talk, the source added.

Last week, Manziel's father, Paul, raised the level of concern for his son by telling ESPN's Josina Anderson that Manziel is a "druggie" and that a stint in jail might save his life.

Paul Manziel added that he checked his son into a rehab clinic earlier this year, but Manziel "escaped."

Manziel faces misdemeanor assault charges for allegedly rupturing the eardrum of former girlfriend Colleen Crowley during a January dispute in Texas.

Manziel is pleading not guilty. On Monday, attorney Bob Hinton withdrew his name from Manziel's case after accidentally texting The Associated Press about his client, expressing concern Manziel would have difficulty passing a drug test. Jim Darnell remains Manziel's lead attorney.

Manziel also faces a lawsuit for his part in the trashing of a Los Angeles rental home.

1 minute ago, Sarge4Tide said:

That's going to cause some of the teams clamoring for his services to think twice

What teams are clamoring for his services- the local touch tackle league not any NFL team

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty impressive getting suspended from work when you don't even have a job,  LOL

It is and I totally believe him when he says he has plans to get sober this summer.  Still a lot of summer left to turn it around, you know? Because really his partying was more of Spring thing anyway.

I like to see the kid turn it around. What can I say? I'm an American and love a good redemption story. 

While I certainly also have my doubts, if he can stay clean thru -say- the beginning of December, someone would be clever to sign him for the last four games of the year (all suspended), and hold his rights into 2017 with his suspension already served. Not saying that should be the Jets, just saying it'd be a clever move for someone. 

12 hours ago, JiF said:

It is and I totally believe him when he says he has plans to get sober this summer.  Still a lot of summer left to turn it around, you know? Because really his partying was more of Spring thing anyway.

But not until he gets back from Cabo.  Not, you know have to finish up whatever drugs he's got stockpiled.  

Wheres the XFL when you need it.

3 hours ago, faba said:

For his own sake he needs to clean himself up- forget about football

Excuse me.  How long before we can go back to calling him Johnny Manziel?  Calling him Johnny Football at this point is simply mean.  Practically cyber bullying. Maybe it's our fault ? OMG I'm so sorry Johnny.  

11 hours ago, PepPep said:

I hope he gets his life back on track. But I don't see him having an NFL career EVER. Maybe another league, but his NFL playing days are over and he needs to focus on other things. 

Why?  He's still young.  If he gets himself rehabbed, there will be teams that have him in for a look see.  Not this year, for sure.  It's basically up to him.

On 7/1/2016 at 10:39 PM, kelticwizard said:

Why?  He's still young.  If he gets himself rehabbed, there will be teams that have him in for a look see.  Not this year, for sure.  It's basically up to him.

I guess you are right. Never say never. 

BUT- I based my thinking on the fact that he has not shown anything on the football field (in the NFL) for NFL teams to even merit a 'look see'. On top of that he has doen even less off the field, and is a huge risk by simply taking up a roster spot.    

But again, never say never. 

Archived