Taking money out of the equation, Fitz or Geno

BowlesMovement

Taking money out of the equation, Fitz or Geno?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Money not a part of your consideration

• Fitz
    • Geno

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fitz - build on chemistry from last year. With Fitz we know what we have...

Geno could be just as good/maybe slightly better because he can throw the deep ball with some accuracy or A LOT worse.  I'm tired of the jets rolling the dice. If we had a legit QB, we'd be legit contenders for the division title at least.

Fitz - for sure!  

If you go back and watch Geno's 2013-2014 games it is very telling.  The part I focused on is everything he does prior to the snap.  What I noticed is that he rarely if ever saw what was coming from the defense.  He absolutely could not read the defense.  He never changed the call based on what he saw.  Blitz's would always surprise him.  How many times have you heard Fitz yell "KILL KILL"?  At least several times throughout a game.  He read the defense and adjusted.  That ability alone saved so many drives.  

Maybe Geno has learned how to read defenses and how to adjust.  I just don't know.  Going into the season with him is a HUGE gamble.  I agree with everyone that says Geno is a superior physical talent.  There is no question there.  Gene is young, strong and has a great arm.  Where he struggles is in the heat of the game where mental agility is actually more important than physical.  There is a reason QBs are considered field generals.  They really are the offensive coordinator on the field.  I just don't think Geno is very good at that part of the game.  I think the speed of the NFL is just too much for him.

Fitz on the other hand has a sh*tty arm and physically is very limited....but his cognitive understanding of the game and his ability to tear apart defenses really is impressive.  Plus he is a selfless guy (ok maybe not when it comes to $$) who is a great example and role model for his teammates.  You will never hear of Fitz missing a meeting because he couldn't adjust to time zones....not gonna happen...EVER.

Oh well, we'll see who winds up behind center in a couple of months.  The masochist in me wants Geno just to see what he's learned over the last year.  Can he read defenses?  Can he go through his progressions?  Has he developed a quick release?  So many questions....so little time.  The rationale level-headed person in me wants Fitz, because I can't stomach another first quarter with 3 interceptions, like the one in Week 8 against the Bills in 2014.  My wife (who never watches jets games with me since she is a Denver fan) just happened to watch the Jets - Buffalo game where Geno throws 3 int in the 1st.  She turned to me and said "I'm so sorry, I had no idea how bad your team was"  That is what us Jets fans that support Fitz are trying to avoid...humiliation and embarrassment.  That's why I say go with Fitz.

22 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

Fitz - for sure!  

If you go back and watch Geno's 2013-2014 games it is very telling.  The part I focused on is everything he does prior to the snap.  What I noticed is that he rarely if ever saw what was coming from the defense.  He absolutely could not read the defense.  He never changed the call based on what he saw.  Blitz's would always surprise him.  How many times have you heard Fitz yell "KILL KILL"?  At least several times throughout a game.  He read the defense and adjusted.  That ability alone saved so many drives.  

Maybe Geno has learned how to read defenses and how to adjust.  I just don't know.  Going into the season with him is a HUGE gamble.  I agree with everyone that says Geno is a superior physical talent.  There is no question there.  Gene is young, strong and has a great arm.  Where he struggles is in the heat of the game where mental agility is actually more important than physical.  There is a reason QBs are considered field generals.  They really are the offensive coordinator on the field.  I just don't think Geno is very good at that part of the game.  I think the speed of the NFL is just too much for him.

Fitz on the other hand has a sh*tty arm and physically is very limited....but his cognitive understanding of the game and his ability to tear apart defenses really is impressive.  Plus he is a selfless guy (ok maybe not when it comes to $$) who is a great example and role model for his teammates.  You will never hear of Fitz missing a meeting because he couldn't adjust to time zones....not gonna happen...EVER.

Oh well, we'll see who winds up behind center in a couple of months.  The masochist in me wants Geno just to see what he's learned over the last year.  Can he read defenses?  Can he go through his progressions?  Has he developed a quick release?  So many questions....so little time.  The rationale level-headed person in me wants Fitz, because I can't stomach another first quarter with 3 interceptions, like the one in Week 8 against the Bills in 2014.  My wife (who never watches jets games with me since she is a Denver fan) just happened to watch the Jets - Buffalo game where Geno throws 3 int in the 1st.  She turned to me and said "I'm so sorry, I had no idea how bad your team was"  That is what us Jets fans that support Fitz are trying to avoid...humiliation and embarrassment.  That's why I say go with Fitz.

I expect any 10 yr vet qb to have a good amount of " cognitive understanding. "But he sure made some boneheaded throws last yr and over career.. Right into defenders hands.. And his one int in the last game is one of the biggest bone headed picks I have ever seen.. Tight game in the 4th and easy FG range, playoffs on the line 2-10.. You don't take risks, especially if your arm is weak.. That one play cost us the playoffs.. That pick was something a VET should NEVER make..

And he isn't too bright thinking someone was actually going to pay him 18 million a season.. Made him look very stupid.. 

And I would say he has missed a lot of "meetings " and practice so far this spring/summer. He is being selfish.. He is leaving his teammates out to dry.. He knows he isn't going anywhere else.. And if he really does want to, well bye.. He should be very thankful to a few for saving his career.. Marshall /decker, gailey, and most of all ik enemkpali

Just watched the Raiders game from last season, where Geno had to come in for Fitz.

This game is a microcosm of all that is right and wrong with Geno.

The right

The kid can sling the rock underneath quite well. He has very good accuracy on his deep throws as well. This could be a major factor this season

With the speeders we now have on this team. Once he settled down and got going, he did a very nice job moving the offense.

The problem was the defense stayed in NJ so they were down 3 TD's by the time Geno got into rhythm. Have to hand it to the Raiders,they had an outstanding game plan. Not to mention they have what looks like a solid franchise QB in Carr.

The Wrong

Twice we saw Geno running to the sidelines looking totally confused as to what to do. The simply solution was to just throw the damn ball away and save the loss. Geno just could not process that, you might accept it once but to do it in back to back series that is damn scary. It stupid crap like that that makes many here feel he is a lost cause. Honestly you can't blame them either, this is totally unacceptable play from your starting QB. This is something every QB learns from day one in Pop Warner.

The other thing I notice is he has very poor pocket awareness . Too often he is stepping back in wide strides instead of sliding forward or simply side stepping the rush.

In these two areas Fitz far out plays Geno, but you would have to expect that after so many years playing at this level

So just watching this game you have to accept that these two QB's are the opposite of each other. You also must understand that Fitz has had many years to learn his trade and perfect his skills.

Now here's the rub of this whole thing.

At this point in Fitz's career he has reached the pinnacle of all he can get out of his body. An while it's pretty damn good with a solid cast around him, as we have all seen, be it with the Jets or other teams he has been on, at crunch time, his track record is not that good. So with Fitz you cannot teach athleticism, you cannot teach arm

strength, or running speed. Either you have it or you don't, Fitz certainly has enough of both to get by and make a season interesting, yet it ends there.

Now the question becomes can

Geno's brain process all the mental elements need to go along with his God given talent. An no doubt many fans who don't want anything to do with him, believe because of his past, rightfully so ,that he can't.

Yet, that's the difference between Geno and Fitz, we know there is hope that Geno can learn to improve his footwork, improve his decision making, improve his ability to read defenses. Where as, Fitz is a good as he is going to be.

From all that evidence we are seeing this last year, what Geno went thru has really humbled him and forced him to grow up quite a bit.

No doubt with all the forces pulling for him to fail or the experts who have already called him a bust, that have would have been enough for even the strongest of us to be broken.

Yet, here he is folks working everyday,showing up for OTA's

and mini-camp, being a leader and taking responsibility. Spending his off time working with top flight receivers to improve his skills. I am speculating here, but I am sure he has been working with Chan on many of the areas he needed to improve on as well.

He has begun to get closer to ALL of his teammates on BOTH sides of the ball and build interpersonal relationships with them. He has stepped up in his support of his teammates causes and charities and been there when asked.

For these reasons and the hope that he will prove all the critics wrong, he should be allowed to at least compete for the starters role, should they resign Fitz.

After holding out and as long as he has, Fitz should just not be handed the starters role. If he beats out Geno, so be it the better man won.

Yet if Geno has come as far as I expect his has, I believe Fitz will have a hard time getting the starters job back.

One thing we should all not want to see is, us giving up on Geno, only to have him go elsewhere to become the player we wanted him to be. Because for the Jets lay the foundation for someone else franchise QB, is so typical of the luck this franchise seems to have.

Think Vilma, Riggins, think Farve for Atlanta and Steve Young for Tampa.

22 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I expect any 10 yr vet qb to have a good amount of " cognitive understanding. "But he sure made some boneheaded throws last yr and over career.. Right into defenders hands.. And his one int in the last game is one of the biggest bone headed picks I have ever seen.. Tight game in the 4th and easy FG range, playoffs on the line 2-10.. You don't take risks, especially if your arm is weak.. That one play cost us the playoffs.. That pick was something a VET should NEVER make..

And he isn't too bright thinking someone was actually going to pay him 18 million a season.. Made him look very stupid.. 

And I would say he has missed a lot of "meetings " and practice so far this spring/summer. He is being selfish.. He is leaving his teammates out to dry.. He knows he isn't going anywhere else.. And if he really does want to, well bye.. He should be very thankful to a few for saving his career.. Marshall /decker, gailey, and most of all ik enemkpali

You've taken about every possible negative thought about Fitz and basically dishonestly presented them. Because if you watched the games and look at the stats the guy was accurate. He had 31 Tds and only 12 picks going into the 4th quarter of week 17. The guy's not selfish just because he's negotiating a deal. If that's the case everyone including you is selfish. Plus he never asked for 18 mil. We don't really know what he asked for. Plus he's willing to take a one year deal for 12. Geno Smith had two years as starter and was the worst starting Qb in the NFL, the team under him in 2014 was 4-12 and everyone was fired. Get real. 

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You've taken about every possible negative thought about Fitz and basically dishonestly presented them. Because if you watched the games and look at the stats the guy was accurate. He had 31 Tds and only 12 picks going into the 4th quarter of week 17. The guy's not selfish just because he's negotiating a deal. If that's the case everyone including you is selfish. Plus he never asked for 18 mil. We don't really know what he asked for. Plus he's willing to take a one year deal for 12. Geno Smith had two years as starter and was the worst starting Qb in the NFL, the team under him in 2014 was 4-12 and everyone was fired. Get real. 

Lol.. Can I ask how long you have been a huge Fitzpatrick fan ranger? It has to be more then 10 months.. Do you sit next to him at ranger games ? I watched the games, his average play does not match the stats.. Marshall and decker deserve most of the credit.. And yes he asking was asking for 16-18 million per yr.. It's kind of pathetic you are more pro fitz than pro jets.. http://nypost.com/2016/03/07/jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-moving-closer-to-stunning-divorce/

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol.. Can I ask how long you have been a huge Fitzpatrick ranger? It has to be more then 10 months.. Do you sit next to him at ranger games ? I watched the games, his average play does not match the stats.. Marshall and decker deserve most of the credit.. And yes he asking was asking for 16-18 million per yr.. It's kind of pathetic you are more pro fitz than pro jets.. http://nypost.com/2016/03/07/jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-moving-closer-to-stunning-divorce/

Where's the link on that 18 mil demand you quoted. There were unsubstantiated rumors 5 months ago that he was asking for 16 but just a rumor. Possibly an opening figure in a negotiation but not a serious or a verifiable number. It's not true. Look you can think any way you want to. Actually last offseason I liked Hoyer over Fitz. But the guy ran our offense competently something Geno never could do. And was a gutsy player. I like him on a 1 year contract. He's worth the 12 he's asking for. Did you see the kind of money NBA second stringers are getting to sign. I mean Jeremy Lin got 3/36.

29 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Where's the link on that 18 mil demand you quoted. There were unsubstantiated rumors 5 months ago that he was asking for 16 but just a rumor. Possibly an opening figure in a negotiation but not a serious or a verifiable number. It's not true. Look you can think any way you want to. Actually last offseason I liked Hoyer over Fitz. But the guy ran our offense competently something Geno never could do. And was a gutsy player. I like him on a 1 year contract. He's worth the 12 he's asking for. Did you see the kind of money NBA second stringers are getting to sign. I mean Jeremy Lin got 3/36.

There are a lot of bad contracts all over sports, ( mets still pay Bobby Bonilla over a mil per yr ) that shouldn't  mean other teams have to be stupid too.. And I believe there is a large Asian community in Houston, maybe that is why Houston went " Linsane"

9 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There are a lot of bad contracts all over sports, ( mets still pay Bobby Bonilla over a mil per yr ) that shouldn't  mean other teams have to be stupid too.. And I believe there is a large Asian community in Houston, maybe that is why Houston went " Linsane"

Your Post article was 4 months ago and all it said was people around the league believe that Fitz's agent is looking for 16-18 mil. And then later it said that's what starters like Bradford was getting. It's speculation not fact. Actually I like Lin but there are guys today who signed with NBA teams for way over $100 mil and close to 30 mil per and only average like 14 points a game. 

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Your Post article was 4 months ago and all it said was people around the league believe that Fitz's agent is looking for 16-18 mil. And then later it said that's what starters like Bradford was getting. It's speculation not fact. Actually I like Lin but there are guys today who signed with NBA teams for way over $100 mil and close to 30 mil per and only average like 14 points a game. 

Lol ! That wasn't the only article about the " reported " demands.. Fitzpatrick sure didn't refute the claims.. Remember a few years ago Eli came right out and denied the report he wanted top dollar qb $$..

Fitz  finally said he was " willing " to accept 12 million after months of zero other offers... So obviously his original asking price was considerably more.. Even you of all people must realize that ?

Jet Fan from London, England here... (this is my first post of many)

I think people need to start taking into account our strength of schedule here...

We only played 4 games against teams with winning records, and only won 2 of them... then effectively choked a "playoff" game against the Bills...

Our schedule this year is brutal, especially with the teams in our division all strengthening

Regardless of who our QB is, we will go 0-7 (or 2-5 at best) to open out, then maybe get to 5 wins?

There is little to no chance we will make the playoffs this year with either Geno or Fitz

Why start QB who has no upside in a losing season, when we have the opportunity to give Geno a crack with the best offense he will have had in his time with the Jets... if he flops (which he probably will) then we can finally cut him, give Hack/Petty a go and have a top 10 draft pick

24 minutes ago, JETdawg1389 said:

I think people need to start taking into account our strength of schedule here...

We only played 4 games against teams with winning records, and only won 2 of them... then effectively choked a "playoff" game against the Bills...

Our schedule this year is brutal, especially with the teams in our division all strengthening

Regardless of who our QB is, we will go 0-7 (or 2-5 at best) to open out, then maybe get to 5 wins?

There is little to no chance we will make the playoffs this year with either Geno or Fitz

Why start QB who has no upside in a losing season, when we have the opportunity to give Geno a crack with the best offense he will have had in his time with the Jets... if he flops (which he probably will) then we can finally cut him, give Hack/Petty a go and have a top 10 draft pick

I think 0-7 and even 2-5 is way too pessimistic, otherwise, good first post and welcome to the forum!! 

4 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think 0-7 and even 2-5 is way too pessimistic, otherwise, good first post and welcome to the forum!! 

Thanks for the welcome...

But I've been following the Jets for long enough (6 years) to kill any optimism I ever had

1 hour ago, JETdawg1389 said:

Bloody awesome first post!

Sure the top searches in the UK after the BREXIT vote are:

1. What does it mean to leave the EU?
  2. What countries are in the EU?
  3. What is the EU?

But this is proof there's still intelligence across the pond.  Welcome and cheers!

1 hour ago, JETdawg1389 said:

Welcome to the board. So if I'm reading you right, you want to force a young QB into the season after Geno flops when neither Petty (if he's still around) or Hack are even close to being ready? At least if you bring back Fitz and he flops you can give Geno the last 6 or so games as an audition. Going to a rookie too soon after a terrible start (0-7 as you put it) won't sit well with a veteran team, many on their last good contract. It would be a waste of one of their last productive years. I just can't see it. If you want Hack to be the man, he can't see any regular season time this year. 

13 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Welcome to the board. So if I'm reading you right, you want to force a young QB into the season after Geno flops when neither Petty (if he's still around) or Hack are even close to being ready? At least if you bring back Fitz and he flops you can give Geno the last 6 or so games as an audition. Going to a rookie too soon after a terrible start (0-7 as you put it) won't sit well with a veteran team, many on their last good contract. It would be a waste of one of their last productive years. I just can't see it. If you want Hack to be the man, he can't see any regular season time this year. 

So in that scenario, if Geno does well, you're then comfortable giving him a new deal based on 6 games?

I'd say it's better to see him throughout a whole season.  Especially seeing how he deals with the initial 7 game stretch.  Can he pull out some Ws, and more importantly deal with negative press/fans during losses w/o caving under the pressure?

28 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

How else do you expect Hack/Petty to be ready/develop if they don't get competitive game experience? If we are 0-7 and Geno has tanked then do you think the veterans will still have his back?

We wont really know about Hack until after the pre-season

21 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

So in that scenario, if Geno does well, you're then comfortable giving him a new deal based on 6 games?

I'd say it's better to see him throughout a whole season.  Especially seeing how he deals with the initial 7 game stretch.  Can he pull out some Ws, and more importantly deal with negative press/fans during losses w/o caving under the pressure?

It depends on how "well" he would do over those six games. Even if he went 3-3 with modest numbers, he wouldn't command a huge sum and he's not getting any kind of substantial deal anywhere else. Basically, the Jets just need a year bridge and then they can see Petty and Hack next season. I can't envision any scenario where Fitz or Geno playing so well that they're viable options in 2017.

I don't even like the Hack pick, but if you're going to use a 2nd rounder on a QB, you had best be prepared to let him develop at his own pace. I don't think Geno was ever going to be good and I hated the pick, but the way this organization handles young QBs is nothing short of madness. Sanchez included. 

Obviously all of this is conjecture and hypotheticals, but I don't want to see Hack play at all this year and Petty getting the last few games would be ideal in a losing season situation, as it's situated right now that might not even be an option if they bring in a vet. 

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol ! That wasn't the only article about the " reported " demands.. Fitzpatrick sure didn't refute the claims.. Remember a few years ago Eli came right out and denied the report he wanted top dollar qb $$..

Fitz  finally said he was " willing " to accept 12 million after months of zero other offers... So obviously his original asking price was considerably more.. Even you of all people must realize that ?

Just read the words in that article and others. All it was is speculation. You're only using it because it fits your narrative. But whatever. 

1 minute ago, JETdawg1389 said:

How else do you expect Hack/Petty to be ready/develop if they don't get competitive game experience? If we are 0-7 and Geno has tanked then do you think the veterans will still have his back?

We wont really know about Hack until after the pre-season

Most say there is no chance Hack should see the field this season. Petty, if a vet is brought in might have to be stashed on the practice squad. Both will get decent reps in preseason. That's not exactly game pressure, but the pressure should still be on the perform well. 

Both guys need to be holding a clip board for the majority of the season. You don't want to force either guy in there too soon. One of the main arguments on the pro-Geno side is that he was forced in too early with no talent around him. And now you, in your hypothetical, want to force the other two young guys in? That doesn't seem productive. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Most say there is no chance Hack should see the field this season. Petty, if a vet is brought in might have to be stashed on the practice squad. Both will get decent reps in preseason. That's not exactly game pressure, but the pressure should still be on the perform well. 

Both guys need to be holding a clip board for the majority of the season. You don't want to force either guy in there too soon. One of the main arguments on the pro-Geno side is that he was forced in too early with no talent around him. And now you, in your hypothetical, want to force the other two young guys in? That doesn't seem productive. 

If the Jets tank the season and Geno sucks, then you have to see what you've got in Petty/Hack, especially if we drop towards a top ten pick in the following years draft.

Don't get me wrong, I hated the Hack pick too (taken WAY too early and we have a scary lack of depth on the O-Line), but we spent a second round pick on him... If we spent a second round pick on a rookie QB that the CS don't even trust to backup our starter then thats a wasted draft pick

1 minute ago, JETdawg1389 said:

If the Jets tank the season and Geno sucks, then you have to see what you've got in Petty/Hack, especially if we drop towards a top ten pick in the following years draft.

Don't get me wrong, I hated the Hack pick too (taken WAY too early and we have a scary lack of depth on the O-Line), but we spent a second round pick on him... If we spent a second round pick on a rookie QB that the CS don't even trust to backup our starter then thats a wasted draft pick

No matter who the starter is, Hack is 3rd on the depth chart based on all indications from everything we have seen and read this summer. He's not going to get any serious playing time this year, nor should he. The earliest he should see the field is 2017. Period. He's not close to being ready. 

12 minutes ago, JETdawg1389 said:

Thinking very positively, we hope Hack was picked to be a good starter for 2017 and beyond.

However maybe the Hack pick was something different.  Perhaps Macc n Bowles look at Fitz/Geno/Petty and have trouble keeping their lunch down.  Sure they're gonna see if one or two of them can surprise this year, but ultimately if they fail, the plan is to use an early 1st rounder on a QB next year and only keep Hack from the current gang.  Then let new guy and Hack battle it out.  Most likely resulting in Hack as the backup.  Maybe Petty as the 3rd string and practice squad QB.

Again though, keeping and paying for Fitz just delays things and hurts future plans.  Unless perhaps he is willing to play the backup/mentor role in '17 n '18.

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

Geno went 8-8 as a rookie with worse talent around him.  So you guys think that Geno was more ready than Hack?  That Geno is better than Hack?

Undoubtedly yes. Geno at least had some success in college and didn't require a massive overhaul of his mechanics. Geno wasn't ready at all to start four years ago, but bumbling Rex forced his own hand with stupidity. Hack is even further behind rookie Geno, if that's even possible. 

6 hours ago, JETdawg1389 said:

I'd like to think the team can win more than two of their first seven, but I agree with the bold. This isn't a playoff season. And I see zero value in Fitzpatrick on a one year deal (the front office seems to agree), and not much more to the three year deal proposed. I'm honestly not sure that Fitz is worth $10 more than Geno, let alone $15M guaranteed. 

I disagree strongly with those who think this team has playoff potential with Fitz, and #1 pick potential with Geno. In fact, I think that's ridiculous. I wouldn't expect much -if any- difference in wins and losses between the two QBs. In fact, as a fan, it would be more fun for me to watch Geno Smith play. I expect him to make more big plays -for both the offense and the defense- than Fitz. It'll just be more exciting. Geno will screw up, but has the physical talent to come back, which Fitz has demonstrated over the course of his career to simply not have. We have a couple speedy WRs on the roster who are useless with Fitz at QB, and would have little chance of developing. 

But alas, Fitz will sign. 

Archived