Jets' Buster Skrine on teams targeting him: 'Bring it on'

Gas2No99

Jets' Buster Skrine on teams targeting him: 'Bring it on'

19340631-mmmain.jpg

By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

With the Jets cutting Antonio Cromartie this offseason, Buster Skrine is now their outside cornerback opposite Darrelle Revis, at least in their base defense. 

When the Jets go to their nickel package, Skrine slides into the slot, where he played last year, and Marcus Williams enters as the "other" outside corner. 

Or at least that's how things look right now, as the Jets prepare for training camp, which opens July 27. 

If opposing quarterbacks throw away from Revis, as they often have, Skrine is totally fine with being targeted a lot

"Bring it on," he told NJ Advance Media during minicamp earlier this month.

Skrine debuted with the Jets last season after playing both outside and slot corner for the Browns.  

"I played in Cleveland with Joe [Haden]," Skrine said. "When I was there, he was a Pro Bowl corner. That's how I got paid, people throwing at me. So I've been there. It's not foreign territory. I've already been there. Ain't nothing to worry about. I've been that guy. I've been the second corner." 

Skrine obviously doesn't shy away from being targeted. 

"Never," he said. "Never. When I was in Cleveland, people would ask me the same thing." 

Of course, he knows Revis is a more successful and feared cornerback, over the course of his career, than Haden. 

"I mean, it's Darrelle Revis, the best to ever play," Skrine said. "But more opportunities for me." 

Skrine couldn't resist this semi-accurate wisecrack about being the Jets' "other" corner this season: "You know, my name is Darrelle, too, so ... " 

Close enough. Skrine's given name is Darryl, pronounced like the former Mets slugger Darryl Strawberry. 

Skrine felt comfortable last year with the Jets, because they play a lot of man-to-man coverage. He finished the season with one interception, after having four in 2014. 

"Coming here, I knew we were going to play man," he said. "That's what I've been doing my whole career. I didn't want to switch up to a Tampa 2 [zone defense] team or nothing like that." 

In 2016, Skrine expects the Jets to use him like this: "I'm outside in two-receiver sets," he said. "If three receivers come in [and the Jets go nickel], I'm bumping inside. I did the same thing in Cleveland."

Because of how the NFL is trending, the Jets use their nickel package a lot, which makes that slot/nickel corner essentially a starter. 

"The first throw is the slot receiver," Skrine said. "He's the closest receiver to the quarterback. Easiest throw. That means you have to have a good nickel. Whereas back in the day, they would throw outside all the time.

"I think we're probably one of the only team that throws on the perimeter as much, because our receivers are bigger. Most teams, if you look at the Patriots, the Patriots are dunk, dunk, inside, inside. Small, shifty receivers. If you look at nickel in our defense, and you look at the teams we play, the nickel is important." 

Skrine, who has never reached the playoffs in five NFL seasons, is ready to take that next step in 2016, coach Todd Bowles' second season. 

"We have high expectations here," he said. "We know we have a good team. Out of every team I've been on, I feel like this is the best team I've been on so far.

"For example, this year [during organized team activities] on the first day, we were running stuff that we ran two weeks into OTAs last year. Everybody is familiar with the system. Nothing is foreign to anybody. You can play faster. There aren't as many questions in the meeting room. It's just second nature." 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com

"For example, this year [during organized team activities] on the first day, we were running stuff that we ran two weeks into OTAs last year. Everybody is familiar with the system. Nothing is foreign to anybody. You can play faster. There aren't as many questions in the meeting room. It's just second nature." 

So we have a two week head start. K.

7 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

He's a good player.  Played banged up last year, but he's MUCH better than Kyle Wilson.  Quick, very strong, tough.

Much better? No. Much more expensive? Yes. Skrine should not be talking because he's going to see plenty of action opposite of Revis this season and if his last few years are any indication, he's going to continue to be one of the worst corners in the league. 

He's really still the slot Corner, Williams should be starting on the outside all the time. Heck even The Glass man Dee Miliner, should play before him on the outside.

He was banged up the second half of the season and his production dropped off. He's a decent Nickle corner that's all.

On July 2, 2016 at 0:46 AM, detectivekimble said:

He's a good player.  Played banged up last year, but he's MUCH better than Kyle Wilson.  Quick, very strong, tough.

Buster Skrine only really weakness is he struggles against taller Wr.   You're able to get a big Wr matched up on him , and an opposing team has to like there chances there. 

Archived