what if geno is the answer ? ? ?

Jetscode1

With the Ryan Fitzpatrick situation in a stalemate, and very little on the open market, it is absolutely conceivable that the New York Jets will be starting Geno Smith at quarterback this season. Now that may send chills down your spine, and I guarantee some fans will throw the towel in before the season starts if this happens, but maybe we shouldn't be quite so quick to judge.

Todd Bowles has said that Geno Smith is the man, which is hardly surprising considering the alternatives. Bryce Petty was always a project, and despite the natural gives that Hackenberg possesses...he still has a lot of work to do before he starts in this league. Could one of these guys serve up a Russell Wilson and leave the coaching staff no choice but to play them? It could happen, but I wouldn't be betting on it.

I went back and had a look at Geno in 2013 and 2014. He has talent, but does he have what it takes between the ears? He looked a little lost, sometimes a little afraid. He made some poor reads, rarely got in tune with his receivers, and made some pretty dumb decisions. However you can't look at Geno without looking at his supporting cast. Have you taken a look at the receiving core the Jets pushed out in 2013?

Jeremy Kerley, Bilal Powell, David Nelson, Kellen Winslow and Jeff Cumberland, those were the top five receivers by receptions in 2013, with Stephen Hill just missing the cut.

2014 we had Eric Decker come on board, and he performed well, but was beat up a lot of the year. However you can't discount him, so here is a list of players by receptions. Eric Decker, Jeremy Kerley, Jace Amaro, Percy Harvin and Chris Johnson. A better receiving core, but again it's probably better on paper than in practise.

The Jets look a lot different in 2016. Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Matt Forte alone should make anyone stand up and take notice. This isn't to say that Geno will all of a sudden become Joe Montana, but at the same time Geno has had the luxury of taking a year to sit back and learn the ropes.

Look at it this way, Geno has starting experience, a much better receiving unit and a year of experience running the system and learning the intricacies of it. I don't know if Geno has improved, I don't know if Geno has the ability to be a starting QB in this league, but I do know that I'm not ready to completely write him off based on the difficult start to his career.

It's always been my preferred method to sit a QB straight out of college, I really do think there is something for letting a player get accustomed to the NFL way before shouldering the huge amount of pressure that comes with starting in the league. Geno wasn't afforded that luxury, but what if he has grown as a player and as a person? What if he is the answer?

Food for thought on this post holiday Tuesday.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/7/5/12095900/what-if-geno-is-the-answer

Good read.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would rather see what Geno can do with a healthy Decker, Marshall and Forte than bringing back Fitz at this point.  Geno has the physical tools, lets see what he can do with an entire offseason preparing with some legitimate skills position talent.  If he fails, we still have Hack as our potential QB of the future. 

If the Organization thinks this viewpoint is accurate, then Geno will start.

He's cheaper, younger, more physically talented.  He has two years (counting the option year) on his rookie deal.

If the Organization thinks he can be an equal-quality starter to Fitzpatrick, there is no logical reason to go after Fitzpatrick for 12+ million for 2016, the offer reportedly on the table since spring.

So we'll see.  It's rather straitforward, the action of the team will tell the tale of how they, professionals, view the potential of Geno Smith.

We still must trust in Macc & Bowles, right?  Till they lose that trust via their actions or earn even more trust.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

He's cheaper, younger, more physically talented.  He has two years (counting the option year) on his rookie deal.

If the Organization thinks he can be an equal-quality starter to Fitzpatrick, there is no logical reason to go after Fitzpatrick for 12+ million for 2016, the offer reportedly on the table since spring.

So we'll see.  It's rather straitforward, the action of the team will tell the tale of how they, professionals, view the potential of Geno Smith.

We still must trust in Macc & Bowles, right?  Till they lose that trust via their actions or earn even more trust.

There is no option year for 2nd round picks. His contract expires at the end of this season.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

There is no option year for 2nd round picks. His contract expires at the end of this season.

I apologize then, I read here on JN in someones post there was an option available, and never checked up on it.  

Point starts, Geno is effectively free, Fitz costs an additional 12 million.

If he's the answer, GREAT!

I doubt if he is and I also doubt if having weaponzzzz makes any difference in his play at all.  When you look at the vast majority of his god awful brain freeze plays it has nothing to do with having better WR's.  Geno does not stink becasue he has had no great WR's.  He stinks because he carelessly hands the ball to he other team or takes awful awful sacks in just a myriad of awful ways at awful times in awful parts of the football field.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What else do we have right now Bit?

If any other fan base convinced themselves that Geno Smith was the answer, we'd laugh our asses off. 

This Geno Smith nonsense, it's just Jets fans deluding themselves. 

This player is terri-bad. Don't ever forget it. 

Part of decision making by Bowles/Mac/Woody could be they think playoffs long shot this year with team we have, division we are in, schedule etc. I doubt it, but who knows. They may say Pat still going to win, here is our chance to save a wad of cap money for a 6-10 team?? 

I still think w/Fitz we can hit 10 Ws if confidence builds early in locker room with some earlyy road wins.

What if Fitzpatrick plays even better than last year, and continues to improve over the next 6-8 years, winning us 6 SBs along the way, leading to the most improbable HOF career in history?

That premise is almost as likely as the OP, IMO.

Fitz has a few days before training camp to sign the deal or jets will announce end of negotiations and geno the starter..  I still think the Jets would want to add a #2, since they don't believe petty is ready.. While fitz will have nowhere else to go, but backup offers, jets could re-open negotiations and sign him for backup $$.. Still be the best deal fitz will get.. Why the jets are being smart.. Fitz has less than a month now before he is all out of options..

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Fitz has a few days before training camp to sign the deal or jets will announce end of negotiations and geno the starter..  I still think the Jets would want to add a #2, since they don't believe petty is ready to be the backup.. While fitz will have nowhere else to go, but backup offers, jets could re-open negotiations and sign him for backup $$.. Still be the best deal fitz will get.. Why the jets are being smart.. Fitz has less than a month now before he is all out of options..

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Until the Jets alter their offer, they only view Fitzpatrick as the better option in 2016 if he accepts a contract to be a backup the following two years. It's entirely feasible that -on the field for one season- they view them as comparable, but strongly prefer the Fitz intangibles -leadership, professionalism, general demeanor, etc.- to stabilize the (backup) QB position for a few years and to mentor the kids. That logic, I understand, even if I don't entirely agree with it. 

29 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Fitz has a few days before training camp to sign the deal or jets will announce end of negotiations and geno the starter..  I still think the Jets would want to add a #2, since they don't believe petty is ready.. While fitz will have nowhere else to go, but backup offers, jets could re-open negotiations and sign him for backup $$.. Still be the best deal fitz will get.. Why the jets are being smart.. Fitz has less than a month now before he is all out of options..

I don't think that will be the case at all. I don't see the Jets telling their veteran team that they are just cutting off all possibility of bringing a guy they love back. They won't set an end date to this at anytime, if they haven't already.

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If any other fan base convinced themselves that Geno Smith was the answer, we'd laugh our asses off. 

I won't till he's not...till then we have many who will ensure we don't forget.  Wish our country had this much memory when it came to helping our veterans.  

40 minutes ago, isired said:

What if Fitzpatrick plays even better than last year, and continues to improve over the next 6-8 years, winning us 6 SBs along the way, leading to the most improbable HOF career in history?

That premise is almost as likely as the OP, IMO.

Yeah, cause Fitz doesn't have a larger body of work to evaluate and project into the future.  Geno at least has upside and its possible he can learn.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Don't tell the Fitzaholics, they'll argue that 2014 was no different than 2015.  On paper and in practice.  It's the new battle cry.  Fitz had no advantage.  None, damn it! :D

What if they just want to point out that you're a grown man using terms like this? And seemingly chock full of ambivalent battle cries of your own, to boot.

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't think that will be the case at all. I don't see the Jets telling their veteran team that they are just cutting off all possibility of bringing a guy they love back. They won't set an end date to this at anytime, if they haven't already.

he was pissed at $$, but will come back, but said "I know playbook and Wrs, so I might as well enjoy more vacation and skip OTAs etc and stroll into camp a few days late

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Pretty much sums up my feelings on Geno.  Since taking over, the FO has acquired 3 QB's and trying to bring one of them back for a second stint.  If they like Geno at all, they're completely throwing money and draft picks out the window.  

Their actions up to now, including allowing an average journeyman QB (who has been named the starter upon return) to keep them on hold for several months w/o telling him to take a hike, tells me one of two things.

1) They have no interest in Geno starting and trying to avoid it at all costs.

or

2) They're on par with Idzik

My hope is that it's the former, rather than the latter.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

There's no actual proof that Geno possesses more upside than Fitz. We may have already seen both of them play at their absolute peak, in which case, Fitz is better for this team right now.

Geno was rushed and thrown under the bus by Rex...not saying he'll ever amount to anything but a backup...but until last year Fitz was older and his high water mark was a backup who could start in a pinch...he had a decent year last year no doubt...but I'd suggest he'll revert back to the mean of his career arc...higher with Chan for sure but still nothing to get excited as a long term answer...with Geno we have more questions than answers...could be a Jag or maybe a little more...but if we sign/start Fitz, we let another team roll the dice with Geno next year...I'm good with whatever direction management decides but its still a good discussion piece and I'd rather maintain some sort of optimism with the QBs we have on the roster than bemoan the fact that Fitz wants max dollars for his last chance for a rich payday.

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Pretty much sums up my feelings on Geno.  Since taking over, the FO has acquired 3 QB's and trying to bring one of them back for a second stint.  If they like Geno at all, they're completely throwing money and draft picks out the window.  

Their actions up to now, including allowing an average journeyman QB (who has been named the starter upon return) to keep them on hold for several months w/o telling him to take a hike, tells me one of two things.

or

Good post.  It's all about the competition lol...

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Laughed off by who?

Right or wrong, who's laughing?  Always love the fear of Dolphin fans or Bills fans or whoever fans laughing at us as motivation to make a move.  Because that's important somehow.  

30 minutes ago, AFJF said:

or

Except the point wouldn't be that we have a long term answer in Geno.  The point would be today, taking into account what each is capable of and what Fitz would cost, they think Geno would be the best alternative for 2016.  

Seems pretty clear that they want Hack as their long term QB and are perfectly good with Geno if not Petty as the long term backup.  

44 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

What if they just want to point out that you're a grown man using terms like this? And seemingly chock full of ambivalent battle cries of your own, to boot.

Yeah, the people who regularly do the same with Genos name and anyone who even hints that they'd like to see him play with the improved talent deserve to get pissy over Fitzaholics.  The names Fitz fans throw out are so much more adult like and so different.  It was a joke in response to all the stupid names I've been called.  Miss the smiley face?  I'm Lol, ambivilant battle cries!  Charge, what babies. 

Archived