what if geno is the answer ? ? ?

Jetscode1

5 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It's a team sport. Please stop. You can't spin 12 TDs into a good performance. Just watch them play and stop letting your feelings cloud your judgment. In fact all you need to do is watch them on the sidelines. 

Exactly, now we're getting somewhere. Which version of the Jets would you want to QB ??  The one with Stephen Hill, Mardy Gilyard, Greg Salas, Percy Harvin, David Nelson and an injured Eric Decker or the one with Brandon Marrshall a healthy Eric Decker , Chris Ivory , Quincy Enumwa and with Chan Gailey as OC.. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If the sensible part of this fanbase didn't rush out the crappy coaches and quarterbacks when it was obvious they sucked, you'd still be cheering for Eric Mangini and Kellen Clemens on Sundays. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post.

Yeah maybe you should hire a plane with a banner that says cut Geno he Sucks !!!!!!

17 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

Geno is gonna dig his own grave tomorrow, or Petty is gonna dig Genos grave himself. 

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is what you'll hear on TV, what will be raining down from all the decks in MetLife Stadium.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, SAR I said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This is what you'll hear on TV, what will be raining down from all the decks in MetLife Stadium.

SAR I

Meanwhile outside Giant fans will be pissing on the tires of your Ford Fiesta :o

No one evaluating Geno so far is mentioning some pretty important aspects worthy of consideration ....because the Geno cut/keep question isn't very cut and dried.

Geno may very well be an adequate backup QB in the NFL long term, but considering his circumstances here, not likely that this happens with the Jets. Last year of his contract, still behind Fitz, doubtful he signs a 'back up' deal here past this year with backup money while he still has aspirations of starting somewhere else however far fetched that idea is IMO. So, keeping him this year as a backup as a 1 yr insurance policy is very short sighted since the Jets plan should be to keep QBs that have a future HERE.

And for those that say Geno 'has value' and cutting him would be a mistake, I'd say that value in the NFL in the trade market often goes uncompensated. He's in the last year of his deal and would be a rental to any team acquiring him; short of finding a team that was in QB hell and needed a potential starter, he ain't gonna fetch much once the Jets announce that he's on the market. You all are dreaming.

Petty was known to be a project QB, and he's made progress; Enough to keep him? I think so, but does the CS? Hard to cut him after only 1 year...no?

And neither Hack or Petty would not make it to the PS. IR for either would be counterproductive. ...so the question always was, and still is for Geno, does he have any promise as the future answer at QB for the NYJ? The Jets may feel he'd be a great backup QB, but does Geno want this as a FA after the season? IMO no. So if Geno isn't ready to accept a future backup role, and the Jets don't see him as a future starter (which I agree with), what is the point to keeping him?

Just my $0.02

31 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

No one evaluating Geno so far is mentioning some pretty important aspects worthy of consideration ....because the Geno cut/keep question isn't very cut and dried.

Geno may very well be an adequate backup QB in the NFL long term, but considering his circumstances here, not likely that this happens with the Jets. Last year of his contract, still behind Fitz, doubtful he signs a 'back up' deal here past this year with backup money while he still has aspirations of starting somewhere else however far fetched that idea is IMO. So, keeping him this year as a backup as a 1 yr insurance policy is very short sighted since the Jets plan should be to keep QBs that have a future HERE.

And for those that say Geno 'has value' and cutting him would be a mistake, I'd say that value in the NFL in the trade market often goes uncompensated. He's in the last year of his deal and would be a rental to any team acquiring him; short of finding a team that was in QB hell and needed a potential starter, he ain't gonna fetch much once the Jets announce that he's on the market. You all are dreaming.

Petty was known to be a project QB, and he's made progress; Enough to keep him? I think so, but does the CS? Hard to cut him after only 1 year...no?

And neither Hack or Petty would not make it to the PS. IR for either would be counterproductive. ...so the question always was, and still is for Geno, does he have any promise as the future answer at QB for the NYJ? The Jets may feel he'd be a great backup QB, but does Geno want this as a FA after the season? IMO no. So if Geno isn't ready to accept a future backup role, and the Jets don't see him as a future starter (which I agree with), what is the point to keeping him?

Just my $0.02

The CS are juggling 2 objectives

1. longterm ... Focus on the young kids learning in 2017/2018

2. Short term ... 2016 try to make a run with best roster possible n hopes of making playoffs

... The combination of these 2 is the only reason why we may carry 4 QB's.

the #1 objective says we are not going to chance losing Petty or Hack (especially with Petty showing something the last 2 weeks)

the #2 objective though would be if the CS believe Geno to be significantly better option than Petty for a chance to win in a small amount of games this season (no longterm thought or desire with him) in order to give us the best hope at making 2016 playoffs.

i don't believe they've made their decision yet.i think they were thinking 4 QB's ... Or if Petty played like cr*p trying to sneak him onto PS. ... That has not happened though ... Instead Geno has played like $h*t ... And Petty has given a better showing than him  the past 2 weeks.  This has opened the door to the possibility of Petty stepping up to #2 & kicking Geno to the curb.  They want to see if Petty's success is for real over the next game or two.  Hope to God he shows it is and Bowles gets rid of Geno.

jmo

8 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

Just my $0.02

Good points. But let's be honest does anyone care if Geno leaves next season in FA.

Best case scenario this season is Fitz stays healthy , plays well and the backups regardless of who they are, never see the field. However realistically you would think the backup sees some time this season , statistically its very rare for a starter to play all 16 games. So who would you rather get the snaps a player with 2 seasons starting experience or a project QB who's never started a real NFL game. 

If Geno comes and  plays decently,  or as most of you here are assured he'll stink it up  it virtually insures that he'll  be off the roster next season. I guess the worst case scenario for the haters is he comes in a and leads the Jets to the playoffs which may prompt the team to resign him., But again everyone here all but guarantees that won't happen - so what are you scared of??

Keeping him this season doesn't retard the progress of Petty as he'll be on the active squad and be allowed to practice and take part in all film and study sessions. Let's not rush  a project Qb into a spot until they're ready , haven't we gone down that route too many times . 

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

progress of Petty as he'll be on the active squad and be allowed to practice and take part in all film and study sessions. Let's not rush  a project Qb into a spot until they're ready , haven't we gone down that route too many times . 

The first month of last season, with Geno sidelined with a broken jaw, the rookie Bryce Petty served as the team's backup. Now that he's got a full season in the system under his belt, a full year of coaching and QB camp and Madden, he's probably ready enough to be a backup for a whole season. This would hardly be the rush job experienced by Sanchez and Geno. 

And I do think Petty's development would be better served as the #2 QB, studying the gameplan and getting a few reps with the starters, as opposed to sharing scant reps with the fourth string QB and/or running the scout team. 

The CS are juggling 2 objectives

1. longterm ... Focus on the young kids learning in 2017/2018

2. Short term ... 2016 try to make a run with best roster possible n hopes of making playoffs

... The combination of these 2 is the only reason why we may carry 4 QB's.

the #1 objective says we are not going to chance losing Petty or Hack (especially with Petty showing something the last 2 weeks)

the #2 objective though would be if the CS believe Geno to be significantly better option than Petty for a chance to win in a small amount of games this season (no longterm thought or desire with him) in order to give us the best hope at making 2016 playoffs.

i don't believe they've made their decision yet.i think they were thinking 4 QB's ... Or if Petty played like cr*p trying to sneak him onto PS. ... That has not happened though ... Instead Geno has played like $h*t ... And Petty has given a better showing than him  the past 2 weeks.  This has opened the door to the possibility of Petty stepping up to #2 & kicking Geno to the curb.  They want to see if Petty's success is for real over the next game or two.  Hope to God he shows it is and Bowles gets rid of Geno.

jmo

Included in the #2 option also needs to be a consideration of who you would need to cut from the roster and risk losing to get the added benefit you ascribe to Geno's experience or potential small advantage (IMO) over Petty as the #2. True he'd be the #53 on the roster, but if they're a valuable ST player with future promise as a long term contributor?

Bottom line I can understand the decision either way at this point...IF Geno shows anything tonight worthy of note.

I don't understand only giving Geno two series in that game esp after his poor performance the previous week. At least to build up his confidence unless they have decided already to get rid of him. And one of those series he did ok in considering he took over inside the 5. He got a few first downs and got the team into better field position. I'd trust him obviously over Hack and Petty in that kind of a situation. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:04 AM, 56mehl56 said:

Good points. But let's be honest does anyone care if Geno leaves next season in FA.

Best case scenario this season is Fitz stays healthy , plays well and the backups regardless of who they are, never see the field. However realistically you would think the backup sees some time this season , statistically its very rare for a starter to play all 16 games. So who would you rather get the snaps a player with 2 seasons starting experience or a project QB who's never started a real NFL game. 

If Geno comes and  plays decently,  or as most of you here are assured he'll stink it up  it virtually insures that he'll  be off the roster next season. I guess the worst case scenario for the haters is he comes in a and leads the Jets to the playoffs which may prompt the team to resign him., But again everyone here all but guarantees that won't happen - so what are you scared of??

Keeping him this season doesn't retard the progress of Petty as he'll be on the active squad and be allowed to practice and take part in all film and study sessions. Let's not rush  a project Qb into a spot until they're ready , haven't we gone down that route too many times . 

I do .  The post you responded too listed as the #1 option, focusing on the young Kids.  Well, Geno Smith is 25 yrs old and has been in this system for the same amount of time as Petty and 1 more yr than Hackenberg  .  If we're looking to develop a QB, and Smith is clearly ahead of both of them, why is he not worth working with ?  If Geno Smith is this dummy that so many say he is, then how did he get ahead of Petty when  both started learning the Gailey scheme at exactly the same time ?

Geno is 25 yrs old going on 26

Petty is 25 yrs old going on 26 .

Hackenberg is 21 yrs old going on 22 .

Work with the QBs and see what shakes loose . 

That's what a real fan would want, not 1 with personal motives .    

P.S.  ( Holy Ghost check )

I'm not saying that you're not a true fan .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I do .  The post you responded too listed as the #1 option, focusing on the young Kids.  Well, Geno Smith is 25 yrs old and has been in this system for the same amount of time as Petty and 1 more yr than Hackenberg  .  If we're looking to develop a QB, and Smith is clearly ahead of both of them, why is he not worth working with ?  If Geno Smith is this dummy that so many say he is, then how did he get ahead of Petty when  both started learning the Gailey scheme at exactly the same time ?

Geno is 25 yrs old going on 26

Petty is 25 yrs old going on 26 .

Hackenberg is 21 yrs old going on 22 .

Work with the QBs and see what shakes loose . 

That's what a real fan would want, not 1 with personal motives .    

Believe me I agree with you 100%.  

My context is that 90% of the fans want him gone so badly why do they then worry if he'll be a FA and leave next year. You'd think that would make them happy . But that's not good enough , they want him gone now .  There's no doubt in my mind Geno deserves to be the #2 this year and to be honest I was really hoping Fitz wasn't resigned because I thought Geno would get a chance to step up and if he failed it opened the door to Petty/Hack . 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Believe me I agree with you 100%.  

My context is that 90% of the fans want him gone so badly why do they then worry if he'll be a FA and leave next year. You'd think that would make them happy . But that's not good enough , they want him gone now .  There's no doubt in my mind Geno deserves to be the #2 this year and to be honest I was really hoping Fitz wasn't resigned because I thought Geno would get a chance to step up and if he failed it opened the door to Petty/Hack . 

I am 100% in agreement with this post .

Archived