what if geno is the answer ? ? ?

Jetscode1

25 minutes ago, ljr said:

I'll try to remember to bring you a box of tissues when the Fitz deal gets done around the start of TC

No tissues required I'm not a rag ass rah rah fan who roots for certain players I root for the NY JETS entire team if Fitzpatrick is the QB thats the decision Macc and Bowles made. 

I hope Fitzpatrick gets us the Super Bowl we all covet. 

Why do you seem to want to fight all fans who support Geno you got issues. 

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

No tissues required I'm not a rag ass rah rah fan who roots for certain players I root for the NY JETS entire team if Fitzpatrick is the QB thats the decision Macc and Bowles made. 

I hope Fitzpatrick gets us the Super Bowl we all covet. 

Why do you seem to want to fight all fans who support Geno you got issues. 

My issue is my heart won't be able to handle any more Geno performance QB play for the NYJ

49 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Did you just make that up or could you provide a link?

I saw it on the NFL Mobile app (Verizon) under Around The NFL: Camp Countdown New York Jets. Its about 5 minutes and at the end the commentator who is interviewing Michael Robinson and Mike Nolan says he interviewed TO who told him his favorite QB was Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not making it up apparently it was in an interview he did with TO on NFLN. I was unable to get a link since I found this on my I-phone If you have the mobile app you'll find it just look for a video clip with Fitz.. But here's an article quoting TO from 2010 about how he liked Fitz http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5818288 Also a comment by Stevie Johnson from that same time period with the Bills about Fitz. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/11/23/1832612/stevie-johnson-ryan-fitzpatrick-is-a-nerd Even though a few Jets fans hate him his teammates loved him. 

15 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Do you understand how a signing bonus works? :lol:

You're right..his cap hit would only be $8 million, for a team with rougly $3 million in cap space and their first-round pick still unsigned.  A clear sign they're thrilled with Geno.  Offering an average jorneyman QB a deal that will force them to re-work and/or cut other players on the roster.  No stronger endorsement than that...LOL.

I saw it on the NFL Mobile app (Verizon) under Around The NFL: Camp Countdown New York Jets. Its about 5 minutes and at the end the commentator who is interviewing Michael Robinson and Mike Nolan says he interviewed TO who told him his favorite QB was Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not making it up apparently it was in an interview he did with TO on NFLN. I was unable to get a link since I found this on my I-phone If you have the mobile app you'll find it just look for a video clip with Fitz.. But here's an article quoting TO from 2010 about how he liked Fitz http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5818288 Also a comment by Stevie Johnson from that same time period with the Bills about Fitz. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/11/23/1832612/stevie-johnson-ryan-fitzpatrick-is-a-nerd Even though a few Jets fans hate him his teammates loved him. 

Fair enough.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You're right..his cap hit would only be $8 million, for a team with rougly $3 million in cap space and their first-round pick still unsigned.  A clear sign they're thrilled with Geno.  Offering an average jorneyman QB a deal that will force them to re-work and/or cut other players on the roster.  No stronger endorsement than that...LOL.

That's brilliant. Don't budget for a Qb so you sign backup linebackers. And a couple of ST players. You really know your priorities. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

That's brilliant. Don't budget for a Qb so you sign backup linebackers. And a couple of ST players. You really know your priorities. 

A QB????????  We have 3 on the roster ALL capable of doing what Fitzpatrick can do. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

My priorities?  I'm stating the Jets current situation.  A deal that'll reportedly cause an $8 million cap hit for a an average QB on a team with less than $3 million in cap space w/o their first-round pick under contract.

That is not an endorsement of Geno.

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

My priorities?  I'm stating the Jets current situation.  A deal that'll reportedly cause an $8 million cap hit for a an average QB on a team with less than $3 million in cap space w/o their first-round pick under contract.

That is not an endorsement of Geno.

The Jets offered Fitz the 24 mil deal for 12/6/6. So they obviously know they can figure out the cap mathematics. That also goes for a one year contract. They can do it if they wanted to. You don't go to Walmart for a Qb. It's the most important position on the team as we all would agree. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The Jets offered Fitz the 24 mil deal for 12/6/6. So they obviously know they can figure out the cap mathematics. That also goes for a one year contract. They can do it if they wanted to. You don't go to Walmart for a Qb. It's the most important position on the team as we all would agree. 

That was before all the draft picks were signed they dont have the money to sign Fitzpatrick. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

That was before all the draft picks were signed they dont have the money to sign Fitzpatrick. 

The offer is still on the table. They have the money. And more. And even if Fitz is not the Qb you adequately budget for the Qb position. I mean what if another Qb like Bradford or Kap all of a sudden shook loose. Of course you can go to the clearance shelf but no team doesn't budget for the Qb position. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

The offer is still on the table. They have the money. And more. And even if Fitz is not the Qb you adequately budget for the Qb position. I mean what if another Qb like Bradford or Kap all of a sudden shook loose. Of course you can go to the clearance shelf but no team doesn't budget for the Qb position. 

I doubt all that money is still there. Fitzpatrick is a clearance shelf item that no one else bought. Denver chose Mark Sanchez over him. 

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I doubt all that money is still there. Fitzpatrick is a clearance shelf item that no one else bought. Denver chose Mark Sanchez over him. 

Not true Joe Willy. They reportedly offered Fitz a contract after they signed Sanchez who might not even win that job. If the Jets don't have the money they would have withdrawn the offer. They can easily manage the cap they hire experts for that. And I'm not talking about amateur capologists (like on this site) who don't know anything.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

It's backup QB money, geno smith is a free agent next season and is likely gone unless fitzpatrick declines to sign. And the the game of QB musical chairs will continue

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

It held up when Fitzpatrick sh*t the bed against Buffalo 3 INTs in a row you will be fine root for the TEAM to WIN 

So you are trying to say 1 bad game is worse than 33 bad games?

my heart may not be able to hold up this season ... But it Sounds like your brain has already left us 

4 minutes ago, ljr said:

The #'s supposedly on the table for the 3 deal year for Fitz are a bargain for a mid-level starting QB

Yes they are.  Now adjust them for a top tier backup.  Figure Fitz is actually worth around 50% of current numbers.

Casserly is a very smart man.  He basically built this team.  Hopefully they're paying attention to him.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/articles/18901147/charley_casserly_jets_right_to_hold_the_line_on_ry.amp#

Charley Casserly says Jets right to hold line on Ryan Fitzpatrick

Former NFL general manager Charley Casserly was on the NFL Network on Tuesday morning to talk about the Jets , their defense, and Ryan Fitzpatrick . Casserly was also kind enough to tweet out a video of that television appearance, which you can watch above. Thanks, Charley!

A year and a half ago, Casserly had consulted Jets owner Woody Johnson during the hiring process for general Mike Maccagnan. And in his NFL network appearance, Casserly runs through a list of reasons why he thinks the Jets are right to be standing their ground in their months-long contract stalemate with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

* Fitzpatrick's mediocre career history 
* The Jets' scheme and excellent receivers were a big help 
* Fitzpatrick's failure (three fourth-quarter interceptions) in the must-win finale 
* No other team is offering Fitzpatrick anything better 
* Geno Smith , with this offense and these wideouts, may not be that much worse 

Huh. Now where have we heard this entire line of thinking before?

Casserly also thinks the Jets upgraded their defense by drafting linebackers Darron Leeand Jordan Jenkins , even though he conceded that nose tackle Damon Harrison's departure for the Giants was "a loss."

Casserly also declared that Marcus Williams would be "a better option" at cornerback than Antonio Cromartie. Cromartie, who had been cut back in March, remains unsigned.

"This defense," Casserly concluded, "is going to be better."

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Casserly is a very smart man.  He basically built this team.  Hopefully they're paying attention to him.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/articles/18901147/charley_casserly_jets_right_to_hold_the_line_on_ry.amp#

Charley Casserly says Jets right to hold line on Ryan Fitzpatrick

Former NFL general manager Charley Casserly was on the NFL Network on Tuesday morning to talk about the Jets , their defense, and Ryan Fitzpatrick . Casserly was also kind enough to tweet out a video of that television appearance, which you can watch above. Thanks, Charley!

A year and a half ago, Casserly had consulted Jets owner Woody Johnson during the hiring process for general Mike Maccagnan. And in his NFL network appearance, Casserly runs through a list of reasons why he thinks the Jets are right to be standing their ground in their months-long contract stalemate with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

* Fitzpatrick's mediocre career history 
* The Jets' scheme and excellent receivers were a big help 
* Fitzpatrick's failure (three fourth-quarter interceptions) in the must-win finale 
* No other team is offering Fitzpatrick anything better 
* Geno Smith , with this offense and these wideouts, may not be that much worse 

Huh. Now where have we heard this entire line of thinking before?

Casserly also thinks the Jets upgraded their defense by drafting linebackers Darron Leeand Jordan Jenkins , even though he conceded that nose tackle Damon Harrison's departure for the Giants was "a loss."

Casserly also declared that Marcus Williams would be "a better option" at cornerback than Antonio Cromartie. Cromartie, who had been cut back in March, remains unsigned.

"This defense," Casserly concluded, "is going to be better."

So Charlie & you agree with the 12/6/6 deal on the table right now

5 minutes ago, ljr said:

So Charlie & you agree with the 12/6/6 deal on the table right now

I said he was a smart man.  Not a genius.

At least he's against any sort of increase from the Jets.  That's better than most media.

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not sure you can Improve on how your brain processes information especially in pressure situations.

Really?

You think that people cant learn?  That evert successful QB started that way from day 1?  Didnt learn as they played?  Really?  Peyton, Brady, Namath, etc were finished products from day 1?

Learning, experience, etc dont help players improve?  Where do you get this nonsense from?  He didnt improve as much as we wanted in year 2 but how is it that Geno managed to improve in every way statistically from year 1 to year 2?  

How come Fitz was worse than Geno in his first seasons and now is your guy?  

12 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't think that will be the case at all. I don't see the Jets telling their veteran team that they are just cutting off all possibility of bringing a guy they love back. They won't set an end date to this at anytime, if they haven't already.

Nice story and all.. But Ryan Fitzpatrick has " ZERO"  other offers.. Which any dummy from a state school or Harvard would conclude they are " shhit out of luck "  

If Geno is the answer then the question is: how many games will it take for Bowles to switch to Petty or Hack once the season spirals downward under Geno the Turd Smith.  Not that this will happen because I believe Fitz will sign and all this nonsensical jibberish will cease.  But just for the fun of it, Bowles pulls Catpiss Smith in game 6 after Jets go 1-4 in first 5. 

16 minutes ago, Powpow said:

If Geno is the answer then the question is: how many games will it take for Bowles to switch to Petty or Hack once the season spirals downward under Geno the Turd Smith.  Not that this will happen because I believe Fitz will sign and all this nonsensical jibberish will cease.  But just for the fun of it, Bowles pulls Catpiss Smith in game 6 after Jets go 1-4 in first 5. 

Fitzpatrick will crumble with the schedule we have I expect 0-6 with him as the starter

15 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

Fitz' innate skill set implies Geno cannot learn these skills...I'm not so sure it works that way...maybe it took Fitz this long to develop.  

Not true. Most coaches will tell you that you have to bring ability to read Progressions from College. can you improve on that? Sure. But sadly, Geno never brought the ounce of Progression read ability with him. In college it was BAM to primary or run.

Hack pick has me worried Petty may be struggling in this area also.

Geno has two major flaws in my opinion, neither of which are significantly correctable. Decent physical talent but his brain simply does not process information either quickly enough or accurately enough to be effective at this level. As a consequence he makes decisions very late and, once he does make up his mind, he frequently makes the wrong choice about what he wants to do with the ball. Secondly, once he does decide where he wants to throw the ball his execution is highly inaccurate. The ball simply does not go where he is trying to throw it much of the time. The net results is dopey decision after dopey decision and a football that is being sprayed almost randomly into enemy territory and frequently, sprayed directly into enemy hands.

These flaws are permanent flaws.

17 hours ago, isired said:

What if Fitzpatrick plays even better than last year, and continues to improve over the next 6-8 years, winning us 6 SBs along the way, leading to the most improbable HOF career in history?

That premise is almost as likely as the OP, IMO.

I'm picking up what you are laying down.  Your scenario is more likely with what i have seen with my own eyes.

3 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I'm picking up what you are laying down.  Your scenario is more likely with what i have seen with my own eyes.

Best QB season performance from a NY Jets QB since Vinny in 1998.

Geno = worst QB in the history of the NFL to have started for two or more years.

Start Geno and get a top-3 pick!

Just now, EM31 said:

Best QB season performance from a NY Jets QB since Vinny in 1998.

Geno = worst QB in the history of the NFL to have started for two or more years.

Start Geno and get a top-3 pick!

but weaponzzz and stuff...

11 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

It would appear the make believe is that Fitz is on the roster.  The article dealt with a hypothetical...that maybe Geno could be the answer since Fitz has not accepted a contract...I see nothing wrong with evaluating his reasons on the merits...I see common sense in Macc trying to pay Fitz a reasonable salary and if he will not accept that then it's next man up...because Fitz is not the guy I want to see us break the bank.  By the actions of the other 31 teams I see no other team willing to concede to his contract demands.

I don't care what the article says. I said we may have seen both of their peaks, which is equally a hypothetical. You chose not to acknowledge what I did say, and blabbered about a whole bunch of other nonsense. So, I responded more to illustrate that lack of acknowledgement, than to bicker.

Here are some of the pillars of the pro-Geno argument, paired with some realities that are being ignored by those posing those arguments... you ready?

Play Geno to avoid overpaying Fitz = Nobody is really advocating overpaying him. Geno supporters are basing "fair pay" for Fitz on a QB market from 5 years ago. Even the most ardent Fitz supporters, who also lack reason at times, are advocating that he receive less than this particular market's value is. = both sides agree. (The question nobody wants to touch the answer to is "how much is a winning season worth?" Will we really give a **** about Fitz's salary if we get into the playoffs? The canned answer is "blah blah... career... Fitz... no playoffs. Even though Fitz is now playing with the best supporting cast he's ever had, which should elevate his potential... you know, the same argument being used in favor of Geno.)

Geno didn't have weapons = Eh, he didn't have Marshall is the reality. Some of the biggest supporters of the "no weapons" argument are also the biggest supporters of the "give Kerley a chance" posters. So, if they believed Kerley was better than the Jets treated him, then that hurts the premise of their argument that Geno didn't have enough talent around him. He had Kerley and Harvin. Fitz has Marshall. Marshall is better, yes, but the other guys weren't slouches, not by the argument these same posters have made in favor of Kerley. So, those posters should be willing to concede they were wrong, or they are being hypocrites now. The other angle on the weapons argument is that Jerry Rice and Megatron could be lining up on the outsides, with Chrebet in the slot, and if NOTHING the QB does before the snap (read the defense, audible, make adjustments at the line, hot reads, etc.) and after the snap (protect the football, look coverage off, know the routes that are being run, go through progressions, etc.) then there's really not that much elevation being provided by the presence of a great WR. Marshall could probably bail out a few bad throws a year, just like he does for Fitz, and like all great WRs do for their QBs. Larry Fitzgerald has caught passes from 16 different QBs... he never once made any of them better than they were for any extended period of time. Only 2 of them were good QBs, and they were good before playing with Larry. So, this argument that Marshall will suddenly legitimize Geno is mostly farce. The only one that can legitimize Geno, is Geno. I hope he can do it, I just have doubts based on what we've seen of him so far.

• Josh McCown

• Shaun King

• John Navarre

• Kurt Warner

• Tim Hasselbeck

• Tim Rattay

• Matt Leinart

• Brian St. Pierre

• Derek Anderson

• Kevin Kolb

• Max Hall

• John Skelton

• Richard Bartel

• Brian Hoyer

• Ryan Lindley

• Carson Palmer

• Drew Stanton

Fitz is a career loser = pulling the numbers on this do back up that argument, and it is the only valid argument that I've seen anyone make so far. It doesn't require hyperbole to substantiate it. It is what it is. This is my biggest concern with him, personally. That said, if the argument is that Geno will magically be better with this coaching staff and playmakers, and we've already seen that happen with Fitz, then the "better situation" argument invalidates the "history has shown us" argument for Fitz, the same way it does for Geno.

I think the 4th, and probably the only other common pro-Geno argument that gets traction is...

Fitz is a turnover machine who can't throw the deep ball = Well, I debunked the deep ball argument months ago. I'm not resurrecting that post for our purposes now, mostly because I can't use the search function that precisely. As for turnovers... *looks at how Geno protects the ball, and scratches head* I'd say these guys are squarely even in that category. 

Ultimately, if we roll with Geno we have to hope that he fixed himself. None of the other fringe arguments being batted around here are going to prove out. He has to fix himself if he's going to ascend to anything that can carry us to the SuperBowl. You guys are all just fapping into your own mouths trying to shroud guess-work with something that seems knowledgable. 

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't ******* care.

I said, we may have already seen the ceiling for both guys. In which case, all of the illogical nonsense being batted back and forth is moot. Nobody seems to be able to craft an argument in favor of Geno that doesn't require all sorts of make-believe intangible factors all falling perfectly in place to prove everything we've seen an aberration.

I like Fitz, because I know the team responds best to him. At the end of the day, neither QB is all that good... but this roster has a TON of talent on it, and if Fitz proves a better catalyst for the rest of the team... then he's the guy you roll with. I don't care who can throw it further. I've seen Geno do stupid, stupid things with the football in his hands... for some reason, stupid people here think that Brandon Marshall is just going to erase the reality that Geno can't read a defense, can't play under pressure, is inaccurate, doesn't protect the football, and inspires no confidence from his team. Sure, Marshall might pull down a few errant passes to bail him out, because that's what good WRs do all across the game... but rushed or not, Geno never looked like he knew how to play football. That's sort of ridiculous.

If Geno was the future, then we wouldn't have added 3 QBs to the roster the past 2 years. 

Listen, if the version of Geno we were getting was the make believe, meth-induced version that gets talked about here by a few crackpots, then fine. Sign me up. For now, I'm going to trust history and all of the unspoken tells being delivered by the guys running the show.

might be the best post I have read all off season.

Archived