How did you become a Jets fan? (we have new fans)

SouthernJet

I know been done before (maybe by me) LOL 

But we have many new poster sand some of the older posters storys are funny and some poignant.

I will start:

I grew up in Buffalo. HC Buster Ramsey lived on our street, parents played Bridge w/them. I got ot go on field a few times in a Bills uniform the HC had team make me. Now remember, this was original AFL Bills so 1959 getting ready. 1st season was 1960. I was 6 years old in 1959 and I moved to Bergen County NJ in 1964, when I was 11. So as a 7 thru 11 yr old I saw the 1960-63 Bills (My Dad got 3 tickets, not knowing my sister would want to go, so I didnt get to all the game, we rotated). But remember, in those days, there was no Internet. Also the Bergen record didnt have 6 articles on Bills practices every day like they did for Jets/giants. Also, the 6 PM TV Sports was all jets /giants. You lost all knowledge of the team you just moved from.

We went to the games in Buffalo and my Dad saw this 11 year old (no new friends yet) pretty bummed out cause I had sort of lost 'my hobby'. So my Dad went out and as a birthday surprise bought Jets tickets (we werent exactly wealthy at this point in time) . 1st game was Denver that year and 2nd Home game was San Diego at night w/Lance Alworth, my fave reciever at time (17-17 tie). So my Pops and I (my 18 yr old brother/sister (twins) were off to college out of state, he remained a Bills fans since at 18 his mindset was more set and he had other things on mind at college other than football, LOL, aka, 4 years off from football.. I still have a soft spot for the ole Bills Logo. My sister didnt care anymore, LOL (married a Giants fan). My point is my Pops died in 1976 when I just turned 24 and my wife was pregnant w/1st child. He touched her stomach a week before his heart attack. That was a girl he never saw along w/2 grandsons. Namath drafted following year of our Ticket purchase and what 12 year old wouldnt go gaga over that!!. 

But , his act of love for his lonely son in  a new city turned into what will be my 52nd season as Jets fan (was seas tix holder at Shea, moved to Raleigh in 1983 and now ams Co-Commish of Raleigh Jets fan Club, we meet to watch games every week at a Sports Bar). My 2 sons curse me to this day for making them Jets fans, LOL.

Bottom line: Thanks Dad. I hope I am remembered for an act of kindness in same way some day :)

Now, your story!!!!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Can we instead have a thread about how one stops being a Jets fan?  I feel like I'm nearing the end, I've never been so disinterested in the team than I am at this point.

SAR I

hang in there. Good times ahead w/Bowles/mac. 2016 might be a step back, but thats OK. new regimes need 3-4 years and many step back in Year 2 for some unknown reason. Like the sophmore jinx for players.

My uncle was a Jets fan and the rest of my family were Giant fans. I didn't get into football until I moved to the south where football is a big deal at age 8. As funny as it sounds my favorite color was green and the jets were housed in my birth state of NY so I fell in love with them. First game I watched was against the chargers in 2004 where we won on a chargers missed field goal. It had me so excited to see the players I play my video game with scoring like I was controlling them. As I grew older.. 13,14,15 I became obsessed with football and learned the game in and out. In 2009 I was 13 and that was a magical season. I remember in 2010 the next year as a freshman in high school wearing my Revis jersey on the bus sitting next to my Patrtiot fan friend. Love my team and really think we are in the right direction. All frustrated fans.. Please trust and give this time to work.

The year was 1979, I was 9 years old.

I stayed up late and watched Monday Night Football because Mom told me not to. 

I think it was Jets vs Seahawks, and green is my favorite color.

Thats all she wrote.

2 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

hang in there. Good times ahead w/Bowles/mac. 2016 might be a step back, but thats OK. new regimes need 3-4 years and many step back in Year 2 for some unknown reason. Like the sophmore jinx for players.

Thanks, I can't explain why, but I'm neither excited or disappointed, I'm just sort of "there".  Maybe it's something that happens when you cross the line of 40 years as a Jets fan, it's not quite burnout, it's just sort of a malaise that has crept over me.  I'm just not excited, I'm not disappointed, I am starting not to care, not sure why or if I'm alone in that.

SAR I

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Thanks, I can't explain why, but I'm neither excited or disappointed, I'm just sort of "there".  Maybe it's something that happens when you cross the line of 40 years as a Jets fan, it's not quite burnout, it's just sort of a malaise that has crept over me.  I'm just not excited, I'm not disappointed, I am starting not to care, not sure why or if I'm alone in that.

SAR I

This is kind of where I am. The Rex years almost completely pushed me away. The way our dumb ass fan base got duped for that sack of crap, and defended him right up until the end, and many still, started me on this path.

Grew up in Fl  with my brother being a huge dolphins fan and me trying to out-compete him for everything. I was young, around 7 or 8 and the jets killed the dolphins on tv. This pissed my brother off so much that I began rooting for the Jets from there on out thinking I had picked the superior team to his beloved fish. Little did I know then that I was signing up for a lifetime of disappointments, anger and the occasional victory.

I grew up in Staten Island and everyone was a Giants' fan.  No one i knew was a Jets fan (circa 1985), or so it seemed to a 9 year old at the time.  What sealed the deal for me occurred on Sept 21 1986 when the Jets beat the dolphins 51-45.  To this day, Ken O'Brien is still my favorite Jets QB...along with Wesley Walker and Al Toon as my favorite WR tandem...although Marshall-Decker are a close second.

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Grew up in Smithtown, dad, lifelong Giants fan couldn't get Giants tickets, so he took me to the Jets home openers in '81and '82.  Damn you Wesley Walker

I grew up in Smithtown also lol...my folks still live there.  HS East or West?

19 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I grew up in Smithtown also lol...my folks still live there.  HS East or West?

Blue Knights, class of '85

My family moved out in '88, but I still know a ton of people still there or still on the island

I was about 7-years of age. I was just getting into sports. My dad, an avid fan of the DALLAS COWBOYS, let me watch the JETS one Sunday in early October of 1968. It was the year the JETS Would win the AFL Championship (the year before the merger) and eventually go on to win SUPERBOWL III.

It was DON MAYNARD, Not Joe Namath that made my blood turn "Gang Green." I could not believe that anyone that small could slice his way past so many huge defensemen and could still maintain that speed. Years later, on the 75th anniversary of the NFL I was in Canton. The NFL hall of fame finally did him justice by placing his memorabilia before NAMATH'S.

Like many small boys, I became a fan of the Philadelphia Eagles as well during the Ron Jaworski years (What can I say, my late father rooted for the Cowboys & my little Brother was and still is a devoted Giants fan) but still held on hope for Gang Green.

When we were robbed by the Miami Dolphins due to the wetting of Joe Robbie Stadium the night before the AFC Championship game in January of 1983, I was bleeding green! Years later I would tell Coach Joe Walton that I felt it was so unfair of the NFL to allow the game to be played due to the doctoring that he asked me to stay after his signing to talk for over an hour about the Jets past & I got a better understanding of Coach Weeb Eubanks years at Gang Green as well as how many years it took him to finally become a recovering alcoholic.

Heck, four days after having Same Day Surgery to remove a Fatty Tumor the size of a softball, I went to the Jets/Colts playoff game on January 4, 2003.  

Sure, I contracted Pneumonia brought on by the freezing temperatures but I was not going to miss Gang Green in a Playoff game at home!

I am going to NY on my honeymoon and I want to see an NFL game. It turned out to be the Jets home opener, so now I am getting on here each and every day in hope of finding news that Fitz has signed. Or not finding news Fitz has signed, can`t make up my mind on that one.

(Yes I am trying to make this another Fitz vs Geno thread. Trying to figure out how many you guys can muster.)

16 hours ago, SAR I said:

Can we instead have a thread about how one stops being a Jets fan?  I feel like I'm nearing the end, I've never been so disinterested in the team than I am at this point.

SAR I

YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't Let The Door Hit You In The Ass On The Way Out !!!!!!!! 

Archived