Any Blues aficionado's out there?

NJ

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

This is from a Dead festival in PA recently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great jam - you guys are very talented. Do any of your 6 string guys ever play electric in a set? I could see that accenting your stuff with some different tones

Great jam - you guys are very talented. Do any of your 6 string guys ever play electric in a set? I could see that accenting your stuff with some different tones

This was actually a very rare acoustic set of ours. We are almost exclusively electric but for this festival we closed out the entire 3 day fest from 11:30-1:30 am and they asked us to play acoustic. I think they were expecting Ripple and the likes, but we opted to swing the hammer a bit. I am the main singer, but we don't take the copycat approach. Both guitarists are a little Jerry/Bob alike. My influence comes from more of the Allman tree of guitarists, mostly Dickey, but obviously I'm a diehard Deadhead.

We try to use Dead songs to channel our own ideas while still honoring the Dead. But the main goal is to explore as musicians. None of my solos are really rehearsed. I play what comes to me in the moment, hoping to find something new each time. All of us take that approach.

17 hours ago, Snell41 said:

My influence comes from more of the Allman tree of guitarists, mostly Dickey, but obviously I'm a diehard Deadhead.

We try to use Dead songs to channel our own ideas while still honoring the Dead. But the main goal is to explore as musicians. None of my solos are really rehearsed. I play what comes to me in the moment, hoping to find something new each time. All of us take that approach.

No better tree to follow than the Allman tree ..  we currently have pretty weak vocals so we play mostly Muddy, Howling Wolf, and Willie Dixon covers and play them somewhat like the recordings but at a much higher bpm. 1,4,5 stuff that we can jam out to - all the front guy needs to do is sing a few verses and call out the leads.

Earlier iterations of this band played a lot of AB Live At The Fillmore cuts which I love to play more than anything but wont violate them with substandard vocals.

If you guys would ever consider a road trip  - I book the bands (with the exception of a few of the national acts) at www.ribfest.net  and could set up some other gigs in the area for you too.       

No better tree to follow than the Allman tree ..  we currently have pretty weak vocals so we play mostly Muddy, Howling Wolf, and Willie Dixon covers and play them somewhat like the recordings but at a much higher bpm. 1,4,5 stuff that we can jam out to - all the front guy needs to do is sing a few verses and call out the leads.

Earlier iterations of this band played a lot of AB Live At The Fillmore cuts which I love to play more than anything but wont violate them with substandard vocals.

If you guys would ever consider a road trip  - I book the bands (with the exception of a few of the national acts) at www.ribfest.net  and could set up some other gigs in the area for you too.       

Dude that's a really generous offer, but I think CHI is a little out of our range to make that work. For some reason I get no sound when I play videos through this site on my phone, but I found you on FB and YouTube, you guys kick ass. Our site is www.idbnj.com, if you're ever looking for a gig in Jersey hit me up.

On 7/8/2016 at 7:53 PM, Snell41 said:

This is from a Dead festival in PA recently

Really? Damn I didn't know that - what does IDB stand for by the way? 

I noticed you guys are playing SCCC in August....which is in my backyard...

On 7/7/2016 at 11:42 PM, NJ said:

We played at our local 4th of July fundraiser on Monday - tell me what you think 

Good sh*t, NJ.

I have what my friends and family have always called an "old soul". As a kid, I was listening to old ass blues music when my friends were listening to U2 and Michael Jackson. To me, it was as "underground" as the punk and rap that I was drawn to in "new" music. The reality is, I'm a bit of a black sheep in my interests, and a hopeless romantic... so the blues just fell into my wheelhouse. 

Can't get enough of it.

Really? Damn I didn't know that - what does IDB stand for by the way? 

I noticed you guys are playing SCCC in August....which is in my backyard...

IDB began from a horrible band name that just evolved into initials, so now it really doesn't have a meaning. People have guessed anywhere from Improv Dead Band to I Dig Bones or Bong hits lol. Yea we'll be at SCCC the 4th, Crossroads in Garwood a couple days later, then on to Woodstock.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

IDB began from a horrible band name that just evolved into initials, so now it really doesn't have a meaning. People have guessed anywhere from Improv Dead Band to I Dig Bones or Bong hits lol. Yea we'll be at SCCC the 4th, Crossroads in Garwood a couple days later, then on to Woodstock.

I Dig Boners? 

:P

Seriously though I've been listening to the stuff uploaded to YouTube all day long...good sh*t man! 

• 3 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of meeting Snell41 in person last night in between sets - super great guy, and his band really kicked ass.

I couldn't stay for the whole show since I had the wife and kids with me, but I'm glad I decided to go check them out. 

My favorite part of the setlist was Beat It On Down The Line/Me & My Uncle/Big River, and China Cat Sunflower / I Know You Rider - good stuff! I'll definitely be around to check out the other NJ dates when possible.

Had the pleasure of meeting Snell41 in person last night in between sets - super great guy, and his band really kicked ass.

I couldn't stay for the whole show since I had the wife and kids with me, but I'm glad I decided to go check them out. 

My favorite part of the setlist was Beat It On Down The Line/Me & My Uncle/Big River, and China Cat Sunflower / I Know You Rider - good stuff! I'll definitely be around to check out the other NJ dates when possible.

Was really awesome meeting you as well! That was a fun place to play, really cool time. Thanks for coming out brother!

On 8/4/2016 at 4:42 PM, Larz said:

I stood next to Buddy Guy at Buddy Guy's for 15 minutes and didn't even know it, so count me as a non afficionado

That's not hard to do Larz - Buddy's usually sporting some wild brim these days.

You can still like the blues if you don't recognize him - 

On 8/5/2016 at 11:33 PM, Snell41 said:

Was really awesome meeting you as well! That was a fun place to play, really cool time. Thanks for coming out brother!

No problem man it was fun - might have to check you guys out again October when you're playing Krogh's, it's literally right around the corner from me. 

On July 7, 2016 at 11:42 PM, NJ said:

We played at our local 4th of July fundraiser on Monday - tell me what you think 

Great stuff John!  You must be drinking from the fountain of youth, you look 10 years younger than the last time I saw you.  Life is good!!

On 8/14/2016 at 7:56 AM, Green DNA said:

Great stuff John!  You must be drinking from the fountain of youth, you look 10 years younger than the last time I saw you.  Life is good!!

Thanks for the props, my friend.

Just finished up my 45th season of competitive softball and I'll keep going as long as I'm contributing enough to be a solid starter. 

We will have to hook up at a game before long.

• 1 month later...

Archived