"The Night Of" --- CONTAINS SPOILERS

Integrity28

So, I watched it last night on demand. It was one of the best episodes of anything I've ever watched. The details, the scenes and how they unfold... just unreal. The written and acted emotions that are delivered without dialogue were stellar. Truly captivating.

It's pretty much True Detective S3 without using the proper title... Which is great, it removes the stigma and comparisons, so now every discussion about it won't be "... Not as good as season 1..."

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like he did everything wrong and it was infuriating to watch. Literally everything wrong*

I'm only halfway through THO and *obviously do not actually know what I'm talking about. This is uncomfortable, it seems well done, but I'm more interested than bowled over right now.

23 hours ago, SenorGato said:

OOOOOOOOOH that one dude lied to protect his leery eyed friend dun dun dun 

Yes, and the final scene of the dad in the street, and the cat walks by him, and the girl let the cat out, and the door didn't close behind her and and and... It's good man.

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes, and the final scene of the dad in the street, and the cat walks by him, and the girl let the cat out, and the door didn't close behind her and and and... It's good man.

Agreed.  Im studying spanish so I watched it in spanish on HBO with spanish subtitles (my new hobby). Enjoyed the sh*t out of it. Started a little slow but ended with the "I cant wait for the next episode" feeling.  Watched it on demand in English last night.

On 7/11/2016 at 9:40 PM, SenorGato said:

OOOOOOOOOH that one dude lied to protect his leery eyed friend dun dun dun 

Can't be that easy. Some one told me about a car screeching off when Nas woke up in the kitchen. I need to re-watch the scene. I didn't catch it. 

8 minutes ago, rillo said:

I thought it was pretty good, but damn this guy made bad decision after bad decision. I know he was sheltered but WTF are you thinking Nas!

Can't wait for the next episode .

I think they did a good job developing that "sheltered" and "good kid" angle of his character before hitting us with all the bad decisions, which made it more reasonable to accept as an audience member IMO

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think they did a good job developing that "sheltered" and "good kid" angle of his character before hitting us with all the bad decisions, which made it more reasonable to accept as an audience member IMO

I hear ya, but I was shaking my head the whole time. 

2 hours ago, rillo said:

I hear ya, but I was shaking my head the whole time. 

Same. It's one thing to be sheltered and scared, but he was doing stupid, stupid sh*t like taking the knife then never even tossing the knife. What was he planning to do with it then?!?!?! Why try to run in the station? 

I doubt it is as simple as leery eye guy killed the girl, but because I watched the first episode I feel some weird obligation to know who dun it.

39 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Same. It's one thing to be sheltered and scared, but he was doing stupid, stupid sh*t like taking the knife then never even tossing the knife. What was he planning to do with it then?!?!?! Why try to run in the station? 

Ugh, so frustrating to watch, not to mention taking drugs from a random stranger. Who does that?!

Really cool first episode.  Caught it last night.  You definitely want to reach through the screen and strangle the kid for being so dumb.  But kudos to him and the writers for selling it so well. 

How awesome was that scene where the detective was reading out all the evidence and the cop was searching the kid.  I was on the edge of my seat.

This is set up really well.  They got me, hook, line and sinker. 

A few small details they got wrong in episode 2-

-attorneys have a speed pass type photo ID. Costs almost nothing, no reason to stand in line and then empty your pockets. 

-Detective Sergeant rank is still an NYPD sergeant, but Fox's shield is that of a detective, not a sergeant.

-in every NYC boro, while the police can arrest people, the decision to actually charge anyone specifically with homicide offenses is up to the DA's office. There's a lot more consultation and back and forth between detectives and ADAs about that decision. 

Just saw that Richard Price is the writer on this. That's pretty nuts. Hard to think of many other authors that have stayed this relevant going on 5 decades across different mediums. I picked up Ladies' Man for the first time in ages about a year ago, still such a great book.

On 11/07/2016 at 4:18 AM, Integrity28 said:

So, I watched it last night on demand. It was one of the best episodes of anything I've ever watched. The details, the scenes and how they unfold... just unreal. The written and acted emotions that are delivered without dialogue were stellar. Truly captivating.

It's pretty much True Detective S3 without using the proper title... Which is great, it removes the stigma and comparisons, so now every discussion about it won't be "... Not as good as season 1..."

Thanks for the head's up, Will definitely check it out.

Did you guys know that this mini-series was supposed to begin and run in 2013 with James Gandolfini as Jack Stone?  In fact, the original 2013 pilot (never aired) featuring Gandolfini as Jack Stone was filmed but then shelved when Gandolfini suffered his heart attack and died.  At that point everything went on hold.  

***SPOILERS WITHIN***

Great big thumbs up for The Night Of.  Story telling as it should be.  You feel Naz's suffering and his own doubt as to whether he committed the crime.  Acting thru two episodes is also top notch.  Bill Camp's performance as Detective Box is amazing in his ability to comfort  Naz and nearly gain Naz's trust.  Too bad IMDB says he is only in the first two episodes.

John Turturro so far is brilliant as the disheveled ambulance chaser, Jack Stone,  who stumbles onto this case.  He takes on the case without even knowing what crime Naz is being accused of.  

Episode 2 was even better. The way they show the dichotomy between Stone and Camp with Naz caught in the middle sucks you in like no other. When Camp was talking with ths sergeant and the sergeant replied with "you want me to argue with you a little or leave it at that?" And then the judge later on congratulating Stone on lucking into the case as Turturro flashes that dumbass smile, just brilliant.

There are going to be a bunch of theories floating around about who did it in the coming weeks and I think any of that really misses the point. Based off the first two episodes I think the point of the show is to give you a glimpse into the step-by-step process of the NY system. The little intricacies...etc. I don't think this is headed towards any sort of surprise ending at all.

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Episode 2 was even better. The way they show the dichotomy between Stone and Camp with Naz caught in the middle sucks you in like no other. When Camp was talking with ths sergeant and the sergeant replied with "you want me to argue with you a little or leave it at that?" And then the judge later on congratulating Stone on lucking into the case as Turturro flashes that dumbass smile, just brilliant.

There are going to be a bunch of theories floating around about who did it in the coming weeks and I think any of that really misses the point. Based off the first two episodes I think the point of the show is to give you a glimpse into the step-by-step process of the NY system. The little intricacies...etc. I don't think this is headed towards any sort of surprise ending at all.

Yea, I don't believe it's any sort of crazy whodunnit at this point. I think it's an amazing character study, I think it's not-so-subtle about making social commentary, specifically around racial profiling. Not even sure the show is about Naz, I think it's about Detective Box and John Stone playing out the dichotomy of law and justice. Naz, and the crime, serving as a catalyst for how we got pulled into the story... but, I could be completely wrong on this. 

Either way, I am enjoying the ride while  watching.

On 7/21/2016 at 1:20 PM, Integrity28 said:

Yea, I don't believe it's any sort of crazy whodunnit at this point. I think it's an amazing character study, I think it's not-so-subtle about making social commentary, specifically around racial profiling. Not even sure the show is about Naz, I think it's about Detective Box and John Stone playing out the dichotomy of law and justice. Naz, and the crime, serving as a catalyst for how we got pulled into the story... but, I could be completely wrong on this. 

Either way, I am enjoying the ride while  watching.

Right exactly. We all know they guy is obviously innocent, so no matter who they say is guilty in the end (or if Naz gets screwed), it's not going to really be a surprise.

Stone vs. Lady Lawyer seems fun with poor, sexy Chandra stuck in the middle. I love the budding storyline between Naz's dad and the two other cab owners...The system at work putting poor people against poor people, dividing them through a technicality that screws them all anyway. 

The female lawyer's behavior was at every point atrocious. You can beg off representing a defendant, but yelling and cursing at your own client is out of bounds. And not standing up next to him or her when they enter a plea is really disgraceful. You do have to tell defendants and their families unpleasant truth, but getting angry about it is really pointless.  Defendants blow allocutions(pleading guilty) every day; simply means you are going to trial.Made the point that despite her white shoe pedigree she had no business taking on a criminal case. And when she knocked John's job, said more about her than him. 

The stepdad arguing with the other guy at the grave is going to matter. 

Archived