"The Night Of" --- CONTAINS SPOILERS

Integrity28

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

One more bit about this: it was the whole show. Every little thing that happened along the way with Duane Reed and the hearse driver. why reasonable doubt matters, presumption of innocence, the investigation, the consequences of breaking ethics codes in all professions, Naz's decent into prison life, the point of Stone's eczema...etc, even the ******* show title was invoked. You can see the look on Box and the prosecutor's faces as they come to terms with the fact that they ****ed up as he's talking. We had been waiting for 8 hours for The Night Of to explain its point to us and it finally did in the coolest way. Richard Price is a gem. There is no other way to put it. Always has been and always will be. One of the great, great American crime writers.

The show borrowed a lot about NY nightlife, real estate and police work from Price's "Lush Life". Sadly "LL" is probably to un PC to be made into a movie in 2016. 

A pilot for "The Night Of" under a different name was filmed with Gandolfini. 

Was nice that at the end was the cat was still alive. 

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

One more bit about this: it was the whole show. Every little thing that happened along the way with Duane Reed and the hearse driver. why reasonable doubt matters, presumption of innocence, the investigation, the consequences of breaking ethics codes in all professions, Naz's decent into prison life, the point of Stone's eczema...etc, even the ******* show title was invoked. You can see the look on Box and the prosecutor's faces as they come to terms with the fact that they ****ed up as he's talking. We had been waiting for 8 hours for The Night Of to explain its point to us and it finally did in the coolest way. Richard Price is a gem. There is no other way to put it. Always has been and always will be. One of the great, great American crime writers.

The hesitation of the DA while making her closing argument was pretty well done.  She seemingly, on purpose, did not drive the point home. She knew there was doubt.

We've all had a ONE thing in out life that had it gone bad, we'd be somewhere else. For Naz... well, the results are clear. He is a tatted, possible crack addict that may be under the watch of gang members who still say he owes them something.  

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

That was something else. Stone's closing argument is one for the ages. You'll be seeing that one on mashups and sh*t for as long as the internet exists. When he sat back down and Naz said thank you it got real dusty up in my household. Everything Stone went through. For him to rise to the occasion like that, what a climax. And then that scene in the restaurant after. My god.

"See? Ya learned something in there. Everyone's got a cross to bear Naz, pardon the expression. **** 'em all. Live your life."

"Thank you. For what you did for me."

"Don't mention it."

Yup.

I said to my wife at about ep. 3, that this isn't a crime drama, or who-dunnit, that it wasn't about Naz... and all of that stuff is just really meticulously written context for a good old fashioned underdog story.

******* amazing.  I wont lie, I teared up after the Stone closing statement.  Just absolutely brilliant.  

And the ending scene, the face he's making about those animals.....to see the cat walk across the room.  Fantastic.

Ape is right, it was a metaphor.  Because no matter what, he wouldnt give up on Naz.  No matter how bad he made him look, no matter how many times he lied or they found out something else he didnt tell them, or the drugs he watched him swallow...he still believed and still wanted what was right.

Just incredible.  

Bravo!

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Just finished it.  Just started yesterday.  Haha.  So well done.  The scene when Naz is sitting alone smoking crack and having flashbacks of the night of made this fat man tear up.  He loved her.  Eight episodes and characters you will remember forever.  

It was just top notch.  So well done.  

I want to follow Naz's life now.  See if he can adjust back to being a normal civilian or if he becomes a drug addict or a thug. 

They should do a "where are they now" season in 10 years. lol

1 minute ago, JiF said:

It was just top notch.  So well done.  

I want to follow Naz's life now.  See if he can adjust back to being a normal civilian or if he becomes a drug addict or a thug. 

They should do a "where are they now" season in 10 years. lol

You could see him change before your eyes.  Really an astounding depth in character transformation.  He got out with less than half of "him" left.  Sorta like Shawshank redemption light were the character is more comfortable inside.  Even the changes in his body language and gait from when he went in to when he came out was outstanding.  The scene when he walked up to get an inhaler while the throat was cut and how he stood there was masterful.  That scene sowed the last of humanity.  The change he had to make to survive inside.  He looked so comfortable in that scene as a jailhouse thug.  

21 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

You could see him change before your eyes.  Really an astounding depth in character transformation.  He got out with less than half of "him" left.  Sorta like Shawshank redemption light were the character is more comfortable inside.  Even the changes in his body language and gait from when he went in to when he came out was outstanding.  The scene when he walked up to get an inhaler while the throat was cut and how he stood there was masterful.  That scene sowed the last of humanity.  The change he had to make to survive inside.  He looked so comfortable in that scene as a jailhouse thug.  

"I'll make you a proper convict yet" - goal achieved. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

"I'll make you a proper convict yet" - goal achieved. 

Plus I just finished watching the wire and got so giddy to see Omar back.  Plus like someone said, Turturo played that role like it was just simply who he is.  I still picture him putting crisco on his feet .  LOL

16 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Plus I just finished watching the wire and got so giddy to see Omar back.  Plus like someone said, Turturo played that role like it was just simply who he is.  I still picture him putting crisco on his feet .  LOL

So, I gave the Wire 2 episodes and it was very meh.  Everyone tells me it's the best.  I havent watched it again. 

Does it get better?  Did I not give it enough time? 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

So, I gave the Wire 2 episodes and it was very meh.  Everyone tells me it's the best.  I havent watched it again. 

Beginning of the first season is like taking an organized crime verse political corruption class.  Kinda like having to take Chem 1 before  Chen two and so on.  Reason is all those story lines developed with such intimate detail all play out and dictate the show.  Zero loose ends.  They all play out.  You follow the lives of the characters like you are living it.  For me top five ever.  Masterfully written.  Go slow with it.  But don't miss it.  It's worth the slow beginning.  Every detail matters.  

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

I've had the same issue with the Wire, can't get past the first 2 episodes. I don't like the lead actor, he's the one that played that sh*tty villain in the Punisher movie. Just awful.

31 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Beginning of the first season is like taking an organized crime verse political corruption class.  Kinda like having to take Chem 1 before  Chen two and so on.  Reason is all those story lines developed with such intimate detail all play out and dictate the show.  Zero loose ends.  They all play out.  You follow the lives of the characters like you are living it.  For me top five ever.  Masterfully written.  Go slow with it.  But don't miss it.  It's worth the slow beginning.  Every detail matters.  

Right on.  I'm going to dive back into it.  Thanks.  <3

25 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I've had the same issue with the Wire, can't get past the first 2 episodes. I don't like the lead actor, he's the one that played that sh*tty villain in the Punisher movie. Just awful.

That's my problem.  If I cant gravitate toward a character, especially the lead one with in the first few episodes...I lose interest quickly.

Dexter - cant stand that dude.  Couldnt watch it.

Game of Thrones - cant stand any of the people they have in the first few episodes.  Cant watch it. 

House of Cards - I love Kevin Spacey but cant stand his character in the show. Cant watch it.

What's the one that everyone loves with Claire Danes?  The ultimate over act on every scene.  Cant stand that show because of her and the other main dude.

There's a couple of others like that. Entourage, Lost...just to name a few.

If you've got a character I like off the rip, I'm fully engaged. Even sh*tty shows...like Banshee.  So bad...but I loved the characters/actors.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Stick with it and you will only know him as Jimmy.  You will love him.  Trust Crusher.  

17 hours ago, gEYno said:

I never really viewed The Wire as having a "main character"

If you only watched beginning of season one Probably think it was McNaultey.   One of the amazing things was how it went from season to season changing the focus from different groups and different characters.  The main character was urban Baltimore if we had to pick. 

On 09/09/2016 at 3:08 PM, The Crusher said:

Great acting by the Naz actor. Goes in trembling like a leaf, comes out a hardened jailer ("That is how you survive Rikers"). Like you said the body language the guy displayed was reallly quite remarkable.

On 9/9/2016 at 8:08 AM, The Crusher said:

To me that's one of the things that made Turturro's closing argument all the more powerful. He summed up the how and the why of Naz's transformation in two sentences as he points at him:

"What I see is what happens when you put a kid in Rikers and say, ‘Okay, now survive that while we try you for something you didn’t do.’ And that’s how you survive Rikers."

On 9/9/2016 at 10:40 AM, JiF said:

That's my problem.  If I cant gravitate toward a character, especially the lead one with in the first few episodes...I lose interest quickly.

Game of Thrones - cant stand any of the people they have in the first few episodes.  Cant watch it. 

House of Cards - I love Kevin Spacey but cant stand his character in the show. Cant watch it.

What's the one that everyone loves with Claire Danes?  The ultimate over act on every scene.  Cant stand that show because of her and the other main dude.

If you've got a character I like off the rip, I'm fully engaged. Even sh*tty shows...like Banshee.  So bad...but I loved the characters/actors.

Dude if you're into great characters, you're missing quite possibly the best ever in The Wire. 

Omar- even today, might still be my all time favorite TV character.

Turturro was great in The Night of", up there with Tyrion (GoT) and the combo of Rust/Marty (TD season 1); but Omar in The Wire tops them all. 

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Dude if you're into great characters, you're missing quite possibly the best ever in The Wire. 

Omar- even today, might still be my all time favorite TV character.

Turturro was great in The Night of", up there with Tyrion (GoT) and the combo of Rust/Marty (TD season 1); but Omar in The Wire tops them all. 

Agreed. But Michael morphing into the next Omar was perfectly poetic.

On 9/10/2016 at 7:00 AM, The Crusher said:

If you only watched beginning of season one Probably think it was McNaultey.   One of the amazing things was how it went from season to season changing the focus from different groups and different characters.  The main character was urban Baltimore if we had to pick. 

Agreed on all counts.  Was the story of the city, as told through it's corruption.

On 9/10/2016 at 2:34 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I remember seeing Omar as the constant, but I haven't watched in over a decade so I honestly don't even remember.

Omar was a constant, but he wasn't relevant to so many of the story threads that it's hard to call him the main character.

On 9/9/2016 at 10:40 AM, JiF said:

Which is why The Sopranos is the best show of all time.

Archived