Cro can't find a job....bring him back on the cheap?

jetscrazey

Seems like nobody wants to give Cromartie good money.  He struggled the 1st half of last season but got healthy and was solid the 2nd half of the season, Bowles said as much.  His family is situated here in NJ.  What do you say, bring him back on the cheap?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind trying him out as safety, because he's fast and has ball skills.  His coverage skills are non-existent, so that ship has sailed.  On a team friendly, one year deal as a backup to Gilchrist, I wouldn't mind him.  He would also function as the kick-off returner.  

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I wouldn't mind trying him out as safety, because he's fast and has ball skills.  His coverage skills are non-existent, so that ship has sailed.  On a team friendly, one year deal as a backup to Gilchrist, I wouldn't mind him.  He would also function as the kick-off returner.  

Problem with that idea is (injury aside) he was the most ineffective in his career playing zone in SD rather than manning up. Maybe that would change in 2016, with several more years of experience since then, but it's still a long shot. Besides we don't need a 7-figure backup safety to tempt Bowles into starting him at corner again. 

5 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Without an option to improve QB fromFitz

we would be better suited spending our team money looking to upgrade one of these

TE, RT, RG ... Hopeful having new starters at LOLB, WILB, & ROLB ... But there likely will be a learning curve  ... & CB #2 needs to  improve over Cro's up & down 2015

Before we worry about backup S

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Problem with that idea is (injury aside) he was the most ineffective in his career playing zone in SD rather than manning up. Maybe that would change in 2016, with several more years of experience since then, but it's still a long shot. Besides we don't need a 7-figure backup safety to tempt Bowles into starting him at corner again. 

He's not ideal, especially because he's horrible at tackling.  I think it's worth a shot in camp though, because he's a guy that can cover at times, so it helps be versatile at times, especially with blitzes.  I think he should be a backup type to Gilchrist, whom Bowles seems to love.

25 minutes ago, ljr said:

Without an option to improve QB fromFitz

we would be better suited spending our team money looking to upgrade one of these

TE, RT, RG ... Hopeful having new starters at LOLB, WILB, & ROLB ... But there likely will be a learning curve  ... & CB #2 needs to  improve over Cro's up & down 2015

Before we worry about backup S

With TE, I'm not sure who else is there for an upgrade at this point.  Owen Daniels?  The offensive line is definitely a possibility.  I think Eugene Monroe is still out there, maybe Will Beaty if he wants to go to RT.   

If we can solve kick returner and back up safety (at the expense of say Rontez Miles) I think it's worth a shot in camp.  If he doesn't live up to it. move on.  

4 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Seems like nobody wants to give Cromartie good money.  He struggled the 1st half of last season but got healthy and was solid the 2nd half of the season, Bowles said as much.  His family is situated here in NJ.  What do you say, bring him back on the cheap?

As long as it's enough to cover the child support.

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Hell yes move him to Safety 

Oh FFS. The Jets are loaded at safety and you want to sign a guy who can't tackle and move him out of his natural position? 

Also, you aren't bringing him back to be the kick returner either. If you bring him back for cheap, it's to play corner. That's it. And I'm good with that. Because as bad as he was last season, he was still better than Skrine and I don't fully trust Williams in an expanded role. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Oh FFS. The Jets are loaded at safety and you want to sign a guy who can't tackle and move him out of his natural position? 

Also, you aren't bringing him back to be the kick returner either. If you bring him back for cheap, it's to play corner. That's it. And I'm good with that. Because as bad as he was last season, he was still better than Skrine and I don't fully trust Williams in an expanded role. 

Exactly this.  Take the softest guy on the defense and move him to a more physically demanding position?  Sheesh.

To compete for a spot and try to beat somebody else out at CB?  Sure.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Have you ever heard of veteran presence and leadership on a team Cro has been nothing but a model player on this team for years and has played in some big games here. 

Just because you dont like him and Geno means they suck you make the rules Carl LOL 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Have you ever heard of veteran presence and leadership on a team Cro has been nothing but a model player on this team for years and has played in some big games here. 

Just because you dont like him and Geno means they suck you make the rules Carl LOL 

Did you not see the part where he said he'd be good with bringing him back to play CB?

30 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hahahahhahaha ... JW supporting the "veteran presence and leadership on a team" side of the argument ... Now I've heard it all!

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I suggested trying him at Safety last year and the board roasted me; there is a difference however, between zone coverage and playing the out fielder. He also isn't a great tackler, but his is big and fast (still pretty fast) and can be that guy who can be the last line of defense when someone goes deep and beats a CB; the real advantage if you have one under and one over, the window gets tight for the QB and that can lead to turnovers or sacks with an aggressive D-line.

The big problem is that his technique was never great and he made up for it with his athleticism. And of course, that is declining. But he is a good guy and loves the Jets, so I don't see any problem with taking a shot in TC.

4 minutes ago, ljr said:

Hahahahhahaha ... JW supporting the "veteran presence and leadership on a team" side of the argument ... Now I've heard it all!

Grow up havent you ever heard of this Bowles is familiar with Cro knows he not an every down player anymore if he can help this team the Jets will re-sign him. 

Concentrate more on contributing to the forum instead of riding my ass like a diaper all the time. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Grow up havent you ever heard of this Bowles is familiar with Cro knows he not an every down player anymore if he can help this team the Jets will re-sign him. 

Concentrate more on contributing to the drum instead of riding my ass like a diaper all the time. 

Truth hurts my good man!

Cro likes the bearded cl*m over growing a beard ... So you do have that distinction going for you

Just now, ljr said:

Truth hurts my good man!

Cro likes the bearded cl*m over growing a beard ... So you do have that distinction going for you

You wouldn't know truth if it hit you square in the face so now you stopped negative repping all my posts and have grown some balls to argue on the board LOL bring it on. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly especially not knowing if Milliner is going to contribute or get injured 

Hopefully Milliner makes it through the whole season intact, would like to see him do well.

Archived