Cro can't find a job....bring him back on the cheap?

jetscrazey

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

The tackling to me is the big issue with it because he's horrible as a tackler.  However, I think as a cover safety, I think he could actually be decent, especially in a limited role.  Cromartie was good as a cover corner in man, but his skills have eroded somewhat in terms of actually covering guys, especially fast shifty guys.  But in special packages, where the Jets can go with a single safety, I think he can contribute.  I don't think he's going to be a starter, but he should atleast be better than Rontez Miles. 

I would atleast give him a non-guaranteed contract and let him try safety out in the pre-season.  

Even if ideally as only a cover-safety, the offense doesn't always comply with the narrow role in which you want him to excel. They tend to mismatch things to expose defenders' weaknesses, and they'll do it with Cro if he's hanging back in centerfield.

I think he's a player one solely brings in to play corner if something goes wrong with the desired/existing starters or depth. Spend time on developing younger guys, not a 32 year old man-corner to see if he can play safety. JMO. 

Again, I think he has about as much chance of performing as WR depth than as safety depth.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/16/2016 at 0:30 AM, jetscrazey said:

Seems like nobody wants to give Cromartie good money.  He struggled the 1st half of last season but got healthy and was solid the 2nd half of the season, Bowles said as much.  His family is situated here in NJ.  What do you say, bring him back on the cheap?

Vet Minimum as a backup/insurance policy, sure.  

Beyond that, no.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Jets fans "our team sucks, we need to change sh*t up!"

Jets fans "let's bring back all the guys I'm familiar with, even though they sucked!"

Jets fans "why can't our team ever do anything right???"

Hey that's not bad, but in an individual case it can make sense to do something with a vet like Cro.  He's been a solid teammate.  And Bowles is correct that despite early season problems (apparently due to injuries) he played well later in the season.

7 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I don't see why we wouldn't bring him back as a rotational DB. The guys ball skills are still great, he just blows coverage from time to time as an every down starter.

That's exactly what he'd be if we brought him back on a cheap 1 year deal

On 7/18/2016 at 4:22 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

He'd be a terrible safety and he's not that great at kick returning. You don't sign a guy like Cro to just be a kick returner. You need more than just a guy like that. There are better returners already on the team. 

How is he not a great kick returner?  Last year, he had an average of 25.1 yards per return.  That number puts him right up there with Tyler Lockett, Bruce Ellington, Knile Davis in terms of returners.  Had he qualified, that would tie him for 10th in the league, essentially upper third.  Infact 25.1 is the exact career average of Jeremy Ross, whom we picked up for pretty much his kick return ability.   

Now, the transition to safety will be intriguing, but he does have speed and ball hawk abilities.  I don't think it's much to try him out in camp, considering he doesn't have much else to do.  

On 7/18/2016 at 8:35 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

Even if ideally as only a cover-safety, the offense doesn't always comply with the narrow role in which you want him to excel. They tend to mismatch things to expose defenders' weaknesses, and they'll do it with Cro if he's hanging back in centerfield.

I think he's a player one solely brings in to play corner if something goes wrong with the desired/existing starters or depth. Spend time on developing younger guys, not a 32 year old man-corner to see if he can play safety. JMO. 

Again, I think he has about as much chance of performing as WR depth than as safety depth.

I think he could be injury depth at safety/CB.  He has the speed skills for cover safety, at this point won't cost much.  Considering we have Milliner/McDougle/Williams as part of the CB group, I think he's a better bet than say Rontez Miles.  Try him out at safety as the backup option, while he contributes to the team as a kick returner.  If there are injuries at CB or S, he could provide insurance.  

4 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I would hope his stud years are over as well. Maybe bring him back as a motivational speaker. I don't think he needs to play anymore on either side of the ball. 

He's only 32.  If he wanted he's got plenty of years left to be put out to stud.

Although a part time motivational speaker gig would probably be enough.

Heck, can't he claim about 18 exemptions on his tax return?

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

How is he not a great kick returner?  Last year, he had an average of 25.1 yards per return.  That number puts him right up there with Tyler Lockett, Bruce Ellington, Knile Davis in terms of returners.  Had he qualified, that would tie him for 10th in the league, essentially upper third.  Infact 25.1 is the exact career average of Jeremy Ross, whom we picked up for pretty much his kick return ability.   

Now, the transition to safety will be intriguing, but he does have speed and ball hawk abilities.  I don't think it's much to try him out in camp, considering he doesn't have much else to do.  

I think he could be injury depth at safety/CB.  He has the speed skills for cover safety, at this point won't cost much.  Considering we have Milliner/McDougle/Williams as part of the CB group, I think he's a better bet than say Rontez Miles.  Try him out at safety as the backup option, while he contributes to the team as a kick returner.  If there are injuries at CB or S, he could provide insurance.  

If you watched Cro last season and still think he has speed, then I can't help you. They don't need to convert a corner who can't or isn't willing to tackle into a safety or spend a million dollars just to have him return kicks, which is pretty much a dead aspect of the game. 25 yards isn't impressive if you're bringing it out from 7 yards deep.  

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If you watched Cro last season and still think he has speed, then I can't help you. They don't need to convert a corner who can't or isn't willing to tackle into a safety or spend a million dollars just to have him return kicks, which is pretty much a dead aspect of the game. 25 yards isn't impressive if you're bringing it out from 7 yards deep.  

Great point. Why in the world would you convert a guy to a position considered "the last line of defenese" when the job of the safety is to be some of the most efficient tacklers on your team? Cro's issue throughout his career is his lack of "getting into the mix" for a tackle...precisely what is required of a safety. 

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

I think he's as bad a bet to convert to S as any CB in the NFL. So clearly we disagree. :) 

10 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's the statistics, so unless you can qualify that he's coming out 7 yards deep every time while others weren't, I'm going to rely on them.  However, if you feel that's wrong, please prove me wrong.  Also, I didn't say give him millions, because a veterans minimum for this year would be $985,000 with a cap hit on $600,000 so he's hardly dragging the cap through the mud.  

Now, the tackling, I understand, he's not a good tackler.  However, as a cover safety, he would have Pryor as the SS to tackle.  Marcus Gilchrist himself is a converted corner as well, albeit I don't expect Cro to be as good as him.  

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think he's as bad a bet to convert to S as any CB in the NFL. So clearly we disagree. :) 

Yeah, we can agree to disagree here.  I'm not saying it's a slam dunk, but I would go down that road to atleast try it out.  I'm not the biggest fan of Rontez Miles, so that could be a part of it as well.    

Archived