Mo’s Deal set to Help fit Fitz?

JetNation

Ryan Fitzpatrick

By Glenn Naughton

Immediately after beating yesterday’s league-mandated deadline to sign players slapped with the franchise tag by inking defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson to a shocking 5-year contract extensiontalk of what the deal would mean for the team’s quarterback situation began to pick up.

With roughly $3 million in salary cap space to work with, fans waited to find out just how much flexibility Wilkerson’s deal would give Gang Green moving forward, and now we have our answer, courtesy of Rich Cimini of ESPN New York who claims the deal will free up an additional $5.7 million.

If Cimini’s numbers are right, the Jets will have between $8-9 million in cap room, a figure that would likely mean only a few deals would have to be slightly re-worked to fit Fitzpatrick and still unsigned first round draft choice Darron Lee under the cap.

While Fitzpatrick and the Jets have been engaged in a standoff for the majority of the off-season, things have remained mostly civil between the two parties as the Jets have stated on several occasions that the Jets starting job belongs to Fitzpatrick upon return, and the  veteran has stayed in the local area, keeping in regular contact with several teammates.

Fitzpatrick’s return has been endorsed not only by Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles, but many of the biggest names in the Jets locker room.  When pressed on the issue of Fitzpatrick’s return back in May, wide receiver Eric Decker weighed in, saying  “We have the pieces right now to win, I just think we need to plug [Fitzpatrick] in, we need to move forward. Again, the organization has to make the best decision for them long term, but as players, we know what’s going to give us success and that’s why we want him back.”

Jets receiver Eric Decker has been one of FItzpatrick's most vocal proponents.

Jets receiver Eric Decker has been one of Fitzpatrick’s most vocal proponents.

Decker may wind up looking a bit prophetic when it comes to likely imminent Fitzpatrick re-signing.

With training camp just under two weeks away and the newly freed up funds, we may see a deal right around the time Decker predicted, saying a couple of months ago that he thought “It might be before training camp, the day or two before, but I believe that he’ll be back on the team come this fall.”

The Jets are said to be offering Fitzpatrick three deal that averages $8 million per year with $12 million coming in season one, and six million in each of the next two seasons.

When Fitzpatrick eventually does return, it may stand to mark the last Jets fans have seen of Geno Smith in Green and White.  With just one season remaining on  his rookie contract and a pair of signal callers (Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg) drafted by Mike Maccagnan since his arrival, Smith will likely test free agency in 2017.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rJr6rLPCyKw

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great article Glenn.

Fitz has let it leak in the past that he would sign a one year 12 M deal.  The Jets were unable to to absorb the cap hit with Wilkerson under the tag.  if they restructure Fitz's friend Decker's deal, they will have money to do that.

IMO we might see Fitz signing in about a week, right before camp, for a one year, 12M contract, with a Jets option for a 14 M second year.  Or something close to that.

As far as leaving smith at the curb, as much as I would like to see it happen, don't think so.   The problem is Bryce Petty.  I like the kid, but he had a very disappointing off season.  He just doesn't seem ready for the back up job.  smith will stay, not because they want him, but because they will probably need him as insurance.   

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

$5.7 million cap space isn't enough to sign Fitzpatrick he wants way more and what about our #1 pick Lee who is still unsigned.

Have we signed a Punter or Kicker yet either? 

Brand new concept.  Restructure contracts 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Fine but in the end $$$$$ matters 

No new money, just respread it.  Done all the time by every team.  Decker has probably called Macc 12 times since 4:30 yesterday looking to create room.

Don't forget Decker has already played a year with smith as QB.  He badly wants Fitz back

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Great article Glenn.

Fitz has let it leak in the past that he would sign a one year 12 M deal.  The Jets were unable to to absorb the cap hit with Wilkerson under the tag.  if they restructure Fitz's friend Decker's deal, they will have money to do that.

IMO we might see Fitz signing in about a week, right before camp, for a one year, 12M contract, with a Jets option for a 14 M second year.  Or something close to that.

As far as leaving smith at the curb, as much as I would like to see it happen, don't think so.   The problem is Bryce Petty.  I like the kid, but he had a very disappointing off season.  He just doesn't seem ready for the back up job.  smith will stay, not because they want him, but because they will probably need him as insurance.   

The Jets are offering 3/$24M now, and you think they'll be up to 2/$26M a few days into camp? God, I hope not. The one year deal makes little sense, too. They're currently offering a deal that averages $8M a year, they're gonna come up on that by 50%? Again, really hope not. 

Mac needs to hold firm. His current offer is way more than enough. 

Considering the options, I understand why the Jets would be more then willing to overpay Fitz for one year.  The deal currently on the table, according to reports is guaranteeing 15 M.  This deal would only be guaranteeing 12 M.  Guaranteed money is the bottom line.

if Fitz is standing here next year with a ring, the 14 M would be a bargain.  The second year is an option, much like what they signed Clady for.

25 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

$5.7 million cap space isn't enough to sign Fitzpatrick he wants way more and what about our #1 pick Lee who is still unsigned.

Have we signed a Punter or Kicker yet either? 

Lee's cost is not a ton. They have two kickers and two punters under contract. Plenty of money to be made available for Fitz. 

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Considering the options, I understand why the Jets would be more then willing to overpay Fitz for one year.  The deal currently on the table, according to reports is guaranteeing 15 M.  This deal would only be guaranteeing 12 M.  Guaranteed money is the bottom line.

if Fitz is standing here next year with a ring, the 14 M would be a bargain.  The second year is an option, much like what they signed Clady for.

I continue to believe that Fitzpatrick's value to the team is to mentor the kids, not what he brings to the starting lineup in 2016. Fitzpatrick is not a championship QB. This is why their offer has remained unchanged. I hope that continues. 

20 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Ya because that worked out so well for the Tannenbaum era.

Meh

Totally different situation. We're not talking about going 65 M in debt, or giving Mark Sanchez a 30+ M contract a year before cutting him.  

Giacomini is siting there taking up almost 6 M in cap space.  Macc is praying that Qvale, or one of the other young OL can step up and take his job.  Which wouldn't be hard.   Only reason BG is still on the team is because their not sure someone will step up

Right now the Jets are in a good cap situation for next year, and the cap is again scheduled to take a major step up.  Revis 16 M will be off the books in 2 years.  Jets future cap isn't a restriction for doing minor cap restructures.  That's why Jackie Davidson makes the big bucks 

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I continue to believe that Fitzpatrick's value to the team is to mentor the kids, not what he brings to the starting lineup in 2016. Fitzpatrick is not a championship QB. This is why their offer has remained unchanged. I hope that continues. 

There isn't any new money in the offer I proposed.  It actually saves them 3 M in guaranteed money.  if he has another great year, 14M is not a lot of money for a QB.  If he falls back, they can step away.  No damage. 

48 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets are offering 3/$24M now, and you think they'll be up to 2/$26M a few days into camp? God, I hope not. The one year deal makes little sense, too. They're currently offering a deal that averages $8M a year, they're gonna come up on that by 50%? Again, really hope not. 

Mac needs to hold firm. His current offer is way more than enough. 

12 mil first year. If the kiddies aren't ready in 2017 Fitz starts in year 2. Do you think it's fair to pay him 6 mil. This is what makes zero sense. There has to be another contract drawn up by Mac with incentives for year 2.  Mac needs Fitz as insurance or else it's looking in the junk yard again for spare parts. The light hasn't turned on for Petty. Hack is a 2-3 year project. Would be great to let him sit ala Aaron Rodgers.  

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

12 mil first year. If the kiddies aren't ready in 2017 Fitz starts in year 2. Do you think it's fair to pay him 6 mil. This is what makes zero sense. There has to be another contract drawn up by Mac with incentives for year 2.   

If I were Fitz' agent, looking at the competition (Geno, Petty, Hack), there's no way I'd agree that Fitz will be backup in year 2. It's not like they drafted Marcus Mariota. There's no sure things among the bunch.

The Jets want a 2017 starter on backup money, which is what they had in 2015 when Fitz won 10 games.  

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

according to NJ.com it's more like 7.5 Mil cap space freed up by the deal (more than Cimini's 5.7 number) 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/heres_exactly_how_muhammad_wilkersons_jets_contrac.html

If that's true they are a Decker/Mangold restructure and/or a Breno cut away from having the starting QB back. 

Cimini has been a lotta swing and miss lately. 

I don't buy it.  We have a little over 8 million now.  But 2 million will go to Darron Lee.  Then we need to keep a few million in the back pocket for emergency in season moves.  I really think the Jets are ready to move on now from Fitz.  Fitz played himself right off the negotiating table by over valuing himself.  He can now come back to compete for the job and get the backup money we've always wanted to pay him.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

If I were Fitz' agent, looking at the competition (Geno, Petty, Hack), there's no way I'd agree that he will be a starter in year 2. The Jets want a year 2 starter on backup money, which is what they had in 2015 when Fitz won 10 games.  

Exactly. Fitz made crumbs last year. He's earned the right to be paid decent starting cash. If Fitz and Mac agree to a one year 12 mil contract, it could backfire for Mac. Case scenario: Fitz again plays very well, gets us into playoffs, is now a free agent. Now what? Salary demands will increase over 12 easily.  Contract can be reworked to include various incentives built into year 2-3. Did we make playoffs in 2016. QB rating, games played, if he starts in 2017 etc etc Besides, Fitz is just a good presence to have in this team for numerous reasons. He's a good mentor, a professional and quality insurance.

24 minutes ago, Powpow said:

12 mil first year. If the kiddies aren't ready in 2017 Fitz starts in year 2. Do you think it's fair to pay him 6 mil. This is what makes zero sense. There has to be another contract drawn up by Mac with incentives for year 2.  Mac needs Fitz as insurance or else it's looking in the junk yard again for spare parts. The light hasn't turned on for Petty. Hack is a 2-3 year project. Would be great to let him sit ala Aaron Rodgers.  

If Fitz doesn't like it, he can sign one of his other many offers. 

Just now, slats said:

Mac won't bite the hand that feeds him. Fitz won Mac 10 games last year, helped make him exec of the year by signing him on as insurance.  When was the last time a back QB was rushe'd in to start and won 10 games? Fitz was Mac's unsung move. It has paid off great dividends.  Granted, demand for Fitz isn't there elsewhere BUT he remains Mac's best option to field a competetive, entertaining team that is heading in the right direction.

30 minutes ago, slats said:

This sort of sums up his value in an wide open market, doesn't it?   Whether he mentors from the pines or actually takes snaps, he should be paid according to his market value rather than his spot in the Jets' QB pecking order.  If someone goes down before the season starts, his maximum value is QB depth for some other team, with a salary somewhere north of zero.  I hope the Jets do not overpay for mediocrity.

17 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

I hope the Jets do not overpay for mediocrity.

Me too, but I think it's a given that if Fitz is back, we will be.  Considering Fitz is the definition of mediocre and that I'd guess true market value for Fitz is probably 4.5mil right now.  

I'm sure Fitz fans don't wanna hear that, but if the Jets decided not to sign Fitz, what would be his top offer?  4.5 is probably pretty darn generous.

But yeah, let's pay him 12mil.  Because restructures are like magic!  They don't cost us anything.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

according to NJ.com it's more like 7.5 Mil cap space freed up by the deal (more than Cimini's 5.7 number) 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/heres_exactly_how_muhammad_wilkersons_jets_contrac.html

If that's true they are a Decker/Mangold restructure and/or a Breno cut away from having the starting QB back. 

If they had confidence in anyone else on the depth chart for '16, wouldn't they would have cut Breno already? Seems like a no-brainer on that one.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

If I were Fitz' agent, looking at the competition (Geno, Petty, Hack), there's no way I'd agree that Fitz will be backup in year 2. It's not like they drafted Marcus Mariota. There's no sure things among the bunch.

The Jets want a 2017 starter on backup money, which is what they had in 2015 when Fitz won 10 games.  

Yep, this is the bottom line.  Odds are very high that Fitz will still be the starter in 2017.  Why would he agree to be a starter for 6M?

Well as of now it looks like the Jets are able to sign Lee and Fitz at an 8mil cap hit.  Which equates to the offer that's been on the table for months (3 years 24mil).  

Best guess is Macc is telling the Fitz camp to sign by camp or the deal is off.  The Jets will have to find some other vet option to backup Geno and he'll need time to learn.

The question is are the Jets willing to give Fitz a one year deal. So far they have said no even though it makes all of the sense in the world for both parties. If Fitz plays well and Hack isn't ready in 2017 then you can sign him to another one year deal. If Hack is ready the team has no guaranteed money to pay. Fitz is a free agent and can go to another team. If Fitz plays poorly then it's Geno time. As for the 12 mil it's probably negotiable. But if the Jets won't budge and insist on the 2 years at 6 mil each you know the only reason for that is to buy an insurance policy for Mac and Woody. And to pay Fitz non starter wages like they did in 2015. 

Looking at the depth chart right now, barring another CB or two, this sets up the defense pretty well for the next 2-3 years. One of the highest beneficiaries of that is going to be the offense, because the bottom is going to fall out from under it within that time span. In a whole bunch of ways this provides the front office the time and resources to spend on completely rebuilding that side of the ball going forward and not having to worry about the D. Having to replace a DL of Mo's caliber would have completely thrown a wrench into that.

It's the next day and I still can't believe they paid him. This one shocked me even more than when the Mets got Cespedes back and that's saying a lot. What a stunner.

15 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Well as of now it looks like the Jets are able to sign Lee and Fitz at an 8mil cap hit.  Which equates to the offer that's been on the table for months (3 years 24mil).  

Best guess is Macc is telling the Fitz camp to sign by camp or the deal is off.  The Jets will have to find some other vet option to backup Geno and he'll need time to learn.

Best guess of those still holding out for Geno that is.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Brand new concept.  Restructure contracts 

One of the most surprising things I've seen this off-season is how many fans don't realize contracts aren't locked in and can be re-structured to create cap room.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

One of the most surprising things I've seen this off-season is how many fans don't realize contracts aren't locked in and can be re-structured to create cap room.

Look, the Jets hire professionals to do this kind of work and have lawyers and accountants. They can figure this stuff out and work with and around the cap and know things we don't. I mean if you're a fan and you say the Jets can't do it all it means is that you don't want them to do it. 

Archived