Alshon Jeffery for 2017?

Dcat

Remember him? The guy we shoulda had instead of Stephen Hill (Jeffery was drafted 2 picks after we drafted Hill).

Well he and the Bears couldn't work out a deal and Jeffery will play under the tag in 2016.  

Let's hope Mac keeps him in mind next spring when FAs hit the market.  Particularly if Devin Smith flops this season.

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Remember him? The guy we shoulda had instead of Stephen Hill (Jeffery was drafted 2 picks after we drafted Hill).

Well he and the Bears couldn't work out a deal and Jeffery will play under the tag in 2016.  

Let's hope Mac keeps him in mind next spring when FAs hit the market.  Particularly if Devin Smith flops this season.

I thought you meant Decker otherwise I don't think we need 3 10 mil+ WRs. 

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I thought you meant Decker otherwise I don't think we need 3 10 mil+ WRs. 

We'll need a replacement for Marshall by 2018, perhaps 2017.  If Marshall retires after  next season, having Jeffery on board with him and Decker would be fine for one year, 2017.  Plus there is a possibility that Marshall will call it quits after 2016.

Can't the bears tag him again? Either way wr is not at the top of our priority list going into the next off-season we are going to need to eventually rebuild our offensive line and probably touch up on our dbs. Yea alshon is a great player but just like every big name guy someone is going to overpay to get them I just pray it's not us our money should be spent better

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I loved Alshon (and still do) but he's a candidate to get over paid - if nothing else because of how injury prone he is. 

We need to be looking at Mike Williams in 2017 out of Clemson, enough of this spending top dollar on high end #2s... no lets AJ Green or Julio hit the open market. You have to draft them fckers.

Bad timing really.  Marshall and Decker are both here thru 2017.  So unless you can heavily backload Alshon's deal (unlikely, given there will be teams with a lot more cap space who can meet Alshon's demands, PLUS that isn't really Macc's style), we can't really afford to devote such a high % of our cap space to 3 WR's. 

It would be really sweet, however.  Decker would be able to operate as the "big slot" almost exclusively, with Alshon and Marshall on the outside catching everything thrown in their general direction, much like they did when they played together in Chicago. 

With Forte here as well, might as well go get Cutler too.........................................kidding.

How people can say wr is not a need is amazing to me. I still have faith that Smith will develop into a deep threat but he is not a prototypical number 1 wr. Behind Marshall and Decker we have ?'s everywhere. If we do not address this problem next year we are looking at scrubs on the outside all over again, something I never want to watch again.

46 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

How people can say wr is not a need is amazing to me. I still have faith that Smith will develop into a deep threat but he is not a prototypical number 1 wr. Behind Marshall and Decker we have ?'s everywhere. If we do not address this problem next year we are looking at scrubs on the outside all over again, something I never want to watch again.

Ofcourse WR is a need.  It's a WR league as much as it is a QB league.

And we have 0 depth after Marshall and Decker.  Nothing nada donut

In a couple years we'll be talking about DGB and Funchess and how we had a shot at either one but took Devin friggin Smith instead.

The Pain.

Funchess isn't going to be a great player dgb could be great but he needs to stay out of trouble...why don't we wait to see what Devin Smith can do before we jump years into the future. You probably don't want to admit it but you have been wrong before

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

On 7/19/2016 at 0:09 AM, drdetroit said:

In a couple years we'll be talking about DGB and Funchess and how we had a shot at either one but took Devin friggin Smith instead.

The Pain.

I liked Smith alot coming out of college, you could have a point here though. It wont hurt to have a QB that can compliment his skillset though. Gotta admit that what he did best coming out of school is the worst aspect of Fitz game. 

On 7/17/2016 at 7:07 PM, Dcat said:

Though I would love to have Jeffery on this team (top 5 hands in the league and top 10 WR when healthy) I really hope that having Anderson and Peake sit for a season will be a much better play. We have nice money already invested in Decker/Marshall and we have both guys signed through 2017. The luxury of developing guys like Peake, Anderson and Smith while having Marshall/Decker start (as well as mentoring) along with Enunwa being our match up problem and Jace Amaro coming back into the fold...its hard for me to look at Jeffery and think that we should go after him. 

Without a doubt though, we should have drafted him. One of the low moments for me as a Jets fan the past 10 years. 

Archived