j4jets

How Mo's Deal Killed Fitz' Deal

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Jets signed a young guy they drafted who is top3 at his position in league.  Fitz unrealistic expectations killed his own deal.  Two events not related.

Did you read the OP? There's a reason why we couldn't sign Snacks n it wasn't because of Steve McLendon. Cap makes everything relative, especially when a $3 mil journeyman wants to cash in on beating some terrible pass Ds. 

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
45 minutes ago, j4jets said:

OMGGG how did I miss we signed an undrafted rookie FA punter? Must've been all over the tabloids. Back to the topic, or do you prefer to ignore any reasonable analysis that dethrones King Fitz?

We drafted a punter, too. 

Regardless of the Fitz deal, I think Mac locked in another year with the signing of Mo, that deal completed a solid offseason, plenty of good will in the locker room and a defense that should win 6 games without the offense taking the field 

Even if Geno and the rookies stink it up, Mac will get one more chance to find his QB

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Regardless of the Fitz deal, I think Mac locked in another year with the signing of Mo capping a solid offseason, plenty of good will and a defense that should win 6 games without the offense taking the field 

Even if Geno and the rookies stink it up, Mac will get one more chance to find his QB

At least 1 more

no worries though ... The Fitz deal will be worked out within the next 9 or 10 days

57 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Did you read the OP? There's a reason why we couldn't sign Snacks n it wasn't because of Steve McLendon. Cap makes everything relative, especially when a $3 mil journeyman wants to cash in on beating some terrible pass Ds. 

Yes.  But you can also say every person on the teams salary kills Fitz.  My point.  

2 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Well, if Mo's deal killed any Fitz deal in play, then it simultaneously KILLED Mac as well.

Well if you say so, it just has to be true.  After all you figured immediately that Macc was in over his head.  

You're ahead of the curve 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

So if you don't sign a contract you don't like in your work situation does this make you unreasonable. It's nice you're making a value judgment on someone else and telling them what they should do. 

YES, do you not understand? 

Shlt, if you're the shlttiest mail clerk in a 32 mail clerk pool you don't turn down pay that would put you in the middle of the pack because you want to be in the top half of the pay scale.  And then argue who's overpaid so you should too. 

How can you keep asking the same inane question over and aver again.  It's not this friggen hard

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

OMGGG how did I miss we signed an undrafted rookie FA punter? Must've been all over the tabloids. Back to the topic, or do you prefer to ignore any reasonable analysis that dethrones King Fitz?

They also drafted a punter. They have two punters under contract. This is easy stuff. I didn't read anything else because it's not worth my time if you're going to waste it. It's also evident from what I skimmed you have zero idea how the NFL and contracts work. If players restructure their contracts they don't lose a dime. Do some research and start again. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Yes.  But you can also say every person on the teams salary kills Fitz.  My point.  

Not really. It was between Mo n Fitz. One or the other. My point. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Sure he would. Then Denver could get back into the bidding...at half the price, of course. 

Nothing ever stopped Denver from a bidding war. He's still a FA. It's in his best interest to keep the Jets interested in him. 

10 hours ago, j4jets said:

We don't know the complete details on Mo's deal yet but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out a few basic things. His 2016 cap charge is about $10 mil from what I hear. Rest of the 4 years average about $19 mil a year in cap charges. He saved us $5 mil space in 2016. 

2016 Cap:

We are currently at around $8 mil in space after Mo's deal. We are yet to sign Lee n a punter, which would add about $3 mil to the cap. It leaves us $5 mil, most of which will be needed for in-season pickups. 

2017 Cap:

Prior to Mo's deal, we were at around $20 mil in space. Mo is averaging $19 mil a yr in 2017-2020. We also need additional $11 mil for rookie signings, Lee's deal n in season pickups. That's about $31 mil additional for 2017 where we had about $20 mil space. Cap would go up of course but by how much? Your guess is as good as mine. Can we create cap by restructures/releases? Of course. But every release requires a new signing. Every restructure puts strain on future cap.

What About Fitz' Deal?

As I've established, we currently stand at no extra cap space for 2016 or 2017 beyond what is needed right now. A one year deal means we can structure the deal in a way we spread the $12mil he wants over 2016 and 2017. Lets say we release Harris n a couple other starters. First of all, We'll need their replacements. Second, those replacements will cost you $. Lastly, who plays QB in 2017? Hack won't be ready. Petty won't even make the 16 roster with Fitz. Geno would be a FA.

Lets assume we meet in between with Fitz n do a 3 year $30 mil deal.   How do we fit $20 mil of cap in 2016 n 2017 when we can't even fit $12 mil without releasing a few starters n restructures? Is Fitz that good that we can release numerous starters for? I've been saying it all along. It's either Fitz or Mo. Not both. 

Then there's the question of Fitz vs Geno, which requires a few TBs of cyber space to discuss as the picture below suggests. 

image.jpeg

This might be the single most ignorant salary cap post of all time, if only because it pretends to be educated, and that's saying something.

First, Wilkerson's deal actually created cap room in 2016.  Second, with a reported 15M signing bonus and 37M two-year cash flow, that leaves 28M in cap room (6M in prorated signing bonus and 22M in additional cash salary/bonus) to be allocated between 2016 and 2017.  That's an average of 14M per year in those two years, so you're off on your 2017 estimate by about 5M.  (Even assuming the Jets gave Mo a low $8M salary year 1, and a high 14M salary year two, you'd still be off by 2M)

Third, looking at the Jets cap charges in 2017 without factoring in extensions (or cuts) for Mangold and Clady (together set to count 19M in cap space for that year, with no dead money if cut), David Harris ($6.5M and 0) and an extension for Brandon Marshall (7.5M and 0), a restructure for Revis (he can be cut for roughly 7M in savings in 2017 but an 8M dead cap hit, which gives Revis leverage, but if he gets to 2018 without a restructure it turns into 9M in savings v. 1.6M in dead cap, which gives the Jets leverage - in other words, both sides can gain from a restructure that guarantees more to Revis in 2018 while lowering his cap cost in 2017) and the outright cut of Breno Giacomini ($4.5M) is kind of pointless.

Other than that, good post.

57 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Not really. It was between Mo n Fitz. One or the other. My point. 

What?  Mo is top three in the league at his position.  If the front office had those two as a coin flip them someone should take the coin and poke them in the eye.  

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They also drafted a punter. They have two punters under contract. This is easy stuff. I didn't read anything else because it's not worth my time if you're going to waste it. It's also evident from what I skimmed you have zero idea how the NFL and contracts work. If players restructure their contracts they don't lose a dime. Do some research and start again. 

Maybe if you read what I posted, you'll get a hint of what I posted, because incase you didn't notice, a restructure doesn't save you a dime either. It just pushes down to the future years. Perhaps you are the one who doesn't know sh*t? A 5th grader can comprehend what I wrote but a self-proclaimed know-it-all poster couldn't. Then again, you're stuck up with the punter debate n Fitzjizz so I don't blame you for not wanting anything to do with anything that's posted against your man. 

Back to the debate of cap restraints. Please elaborate how the Jets can pay Fitz $20-30mil in 2016 and 2017. I would like to see exactly how, not just generalization. Maybe I've missed something all along. If so, I'm sure Mac did too n doesn't know "how the NFL and contracts work" otherwise Fitz would've been signed before the FA. Feel free to tell me we can release a bunch of starters to accommodate a journeyman cuz I've covered all my bases with my OP (besides the punter, ZOMGG!!). 

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

This might be the single most ignorant salary cap post of all time, if only because it pretends to be educated, and that's saying something.

I like how you're trying to outsmart me. I read contracts for a living n so far I've done well in life, so allow me to shred your post to pieces now  

First, Wilkerson's deal actually created cap room in 2016. 

How is that ANY different from I wrote? 

Second, with a reported 15M signing bonus and 37M two-year cash flow, that leaves 28M in cap room (6M in prorated signing bonus and 22M in additional cash salary/bonus) to be allocated between 2016 and 2017. 

At the time of my posting, all I was aware of was that Mo's cap charge went down from 15 to 10mil or so n that he saved us $5 mil in 2016, as noted in my OP. Then somewhere along the lines, I mentioned Mo making $19 mil for 2017 (average based on the remaining $76 mil over 4 years). Actual figure as it came out, was $18 mil. I would say that's pretty close to the $19 mil I used in my OP BEFORE the details of the contract had come out.

That's an average of 14M per year in those two years, so you're off on your 2017 estimate by about 5M.  (Even assuming the Jets gave Mo a low $8M salary year 1, and a high 14M salary year two, you'd still be off by 2M)

Not even sure what you're talking about here. It may have been an ignorant post of mine but it's evident you couldnt keep up with a few numbers I posted so I don't blame you for calling my post ignorant instead.  See my comments above.

Third, looking at the Jets cap charges in 2017 without factoring in extensions (or cuts) for Mangold and Clady (together set to count 19M in cap space for that year, with no dead money if cut), David Harris ($6.5M and 0) and an extension for Brandon Marshall (7.5M and 0), a restructure for Revis (he can be cut for roughly 7M in savings in 2017 but an 8M dead cap hit, which gives Revis leverage, but if he gets to 2018 without a restructure it turns into 9M in savings v. 1.6M in dead cap, which gives the Jets leverage - in other words, both sides can gain from a restructure that guarantees more to Revis in 2018 while lowering his cap cost in 2017) and the outright cut of Breno Giacomini ($4.5M) is kind of pointless.

Other than that, good post.

By any chance, are you suggesting we cut Revis, Marshall, Mangold, Clady, Harris n Giacomini? Giac, yeah. But others? No one is getting cut. Extensions there may create a few mils for 2017, like I mentioned, but it would push enormous amount of cap towards 2018 n beyond. When I say enormous, I mean 60-70+ mil for 2018 alone on backloaded deals. so where you think this was an ignorant post of mine, it's actually covering the cap management for future years n not just 2016 or 2017, something GMs do all the time. Would you like me to provide you some details of the "60-70+ mil" figure threw out there? 

Lets say you found a way to manage the cap n sign Fitz. Is he worth cutting a few starters n putting the team in 2-3 more cap strapped years, like I mentioned in my OP? 

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

What?  Mo is top three in the league at his position.  If the front office had those two as a coin flip them someone should take the coin and poke them in the eye.  

No one mentioned the coin flip. Jets went with the smarter choice after they failed to trade Mo. I said that if Mo gets extended, you can't sign Fitz without releasing a few starters n restructuring a few contracts to cope with his Brady-money demands. If Mo was not to be extended, we probably would've tagged him again next year n trade him for like a 3rd, or let him walk n pick up a 3rd in comp. We weren't going to pay him $19 mil next year while he spent the offseason at home. So without an extension this year, Mo was only going to count towards 2016 cap. The extension changed everything as far as cap is concerned. 

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Maybe if you read what I posted, you'll get a hint of what I posted, because incase you didn't notice, a restructure doesn't save you a dime either. It just pushes down to the future years. Perhaps you are the one who doesn't know sh*t? A 5th grader can comprehend what I wrote but a self-proclaimed know-it-all poster couldn't. Then again, you're stuck up with the punter debate n Fitzjizz so I don't blame you for not wanting anything to do with anything that's posted against your man. 

Back to the debate of cap restraints. Please elaborate how the Jets can pay Fitz $20-30mil in 2016 and 2017. I would like to see exactly how, not just generalization. Maybe I've missed something all along. If so, I'm sure Mac did too n doesn't know "how the NFL and contracts work" otherwise Fitz would've been signed before the FA. Feel free to tell me we can release a bunch of starters to accommodate a journeyman cuz I've covered all my bases with my OP (besides the punter, ZOMGG!!). 

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Go here. Read stuff. Get educated on contracts. Be a better fan. 

8 hours ago, j4jets said:

Nothing ever stopped Denver from a bidding war. He's still a FA. It's in his best interest to keep the Jets interested in him. 

The Jets' offer stopped them, because it priced them out of the bidding. If that dries up he has to seek the next best one. The Jets rescinding their offer would be known.

I'll be pretty surprised if it happened.

21 hours ago, j4jets said:

We don't know the complete details on Mo's deal yet but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out a few basic things. His 2016 cap charge is about $10 mil from what I hear. Rest of the 4 years average about $19 mil a year in cap charges. He saved us $5 mil space in 2016. 

2016 Cap:

We are currently at around $8 mil in space after Mo's deal. We are yet to sign Lee n a punter, which would add about $3 mil to the cap. It leaves us $5 mil, most of which will be needed for in-season pickups. 

2017 Cap:

Prior to Mo's deal, we were at around $20 mil in space. Mo is averaging $19 mil a yr in 2017-2020. We also need additional $11 mil for rookie signings, Lee's deal n in season pickups. That's about $31 mil additional for 2017 where we had about $20 mil space. Cap would go up of course but by how much? Your guess is as good as mine. Can we create cap by restructures/releases? Of course. But every release requires a new signing. Every restructure puts strain on future cap.

What About Fitz' Deal?

As I've established, we currently stand at no extra cap space for 2016 or 2017 beyond what is needed right now. A one year deal means we can structure the deal in a way we spread the $12mil he wants over 2016 and 2017. Lets say we release Harris n a couple other starters. First of all, We'll need their replacements. Second, those replacements will cost you $. Lastly, who plays QB in 2017? Hack won't be ready. Petty won't even make the 16 roster with Fitz. Geno would be a FA.

Lets assume we meet in between with Fitz n do a 3 year $30 mil deal.   How do we fit $20 mil of cap in 2016 n 2017 when we can't even fit $12 mil without releasing a few starters n restructures? Is Fitz that good that we can release numerous starters for? I've been saying it all along. It's either Fitz or Mo. Not both. 

Then there's the question of Fitz vs Geno, which requires a few TBs of cyber space to discuss as the picture below suggests. 

image.jpeg

I think you will be proven wrong within a few weeks max, more like a few days.

We don't even know every aspect of the Fitz deal that the Jets reportedly have offered him. It was leaked and not an official statement from either side and did not have exact details of the contract. What we heard was 12-6-6 with 15 guaranteed and with another 12 in incentives. We don't know about the incentives or even the exactitude of the rest of the contract. Is the 15 guaranteed, fully guaranteed? There's different levels of guaranteed money, some just for injuries, etc. And the 12 mil the first year. Does he get that all the first season. Is it a bonus? I've even seen that it's really 10 mil. As for not wanting to give him a one year contract due to cap issues. Of course they can do it if they want to do it. And smartly, too. 

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/new-york-jets/

Go here. Read stuff. Get educated on contracts. Be a better fan. 

Juston Burris $450,000 $137,783 $0 $0 $0 $587,783   $137,783 $450,000
Jarvis Harrison $525,000 $10,000 $0 $0 $0 $535,000   $10,000 $525,000
Chandler Worthy $525,000 $5,000 $0 $0 $0 $530,000   $5,000 $525,000
Dion Bailey $525,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $525,000   $0 $525,000
Taiwan Jones $525,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $525,000   $0 $525,000
Ronald Martin $525,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $525,000   $0 $525,000
Rontez Miles $525,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $525,000   $0 $525,000
Quincy Enunwa $525,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $525,000   $0 $525,000
Brent Qvale $525,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $525,000   $0 $525,000
Deon Simon $525,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $525,000   $0 $525,000
Brandon Shell $450,000 $58,992 $0 $0 $0 $508,992   $58,992 $450,000
Lac Edwards $450,000 $18,949 $0 $0 $0 $468,949   $18,949 $450,000
Charone Peake $450,000 $17,095 $0 $0 $0 $467,095   $17,095 $450,000
Craig Watts $450,000 $10,000 $0 $0 $0 $460,000   $10,000 $450,000
Dominique Williams $450,000 $5,000 $0 $0 $0 $455,000   $5,000 $450,000
Freddie Bishop $450,000 $2,500 $0 $0 $0 $452,500   $2,500 $450,000
Michael Liedtke $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Jesse Davis $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Titus Davis $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Deion Barnes $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Julian Howsare $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Kendall James $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Wes Saxton $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Kevin Short $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Darron Lee $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Robby Anderson $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Tarow Barney $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Kyle Friend $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Tom Hackett $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Jalin Marshall $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Ross Martin $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Helva Matungulu $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Doug Middleton $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Julien Obioha $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Claude Pelon $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Lawrence Thomas $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Jason Vander Laan $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000
Romar Morris $450,000 $0 $0 $0 $0 $450,000   $0 $450,000

am i reading this correctly?  If we trimmed our roster to 51 players we would free up $17.775M  with $265k of dead money? Or is that already excluded in the $157M in salaries toward the cap?

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

I like how you're trying to outsmart me. I read contracts for a living n so far I've done well in life, so allow me to shred your post to pieces now  

How is that ANY different from I wrote? 

At the time of my posting, all I was aware of was that Mo's cap charge went down from 15 to 10mil or so n that he saved us $5 mil in 2016, as noted in my OP. Then somewhere along the lines, I mentioned Mo making $19 mil for 2017 (average based on the remaining $76 mil over 4 years). Actual figure as it came out, was $18 mil. I would say that's pretty close to the $19 mil I used in my OP BEFORE the details of the contract had come out.

Not even sure what you're talking about here. It may have been an ignorant post of mine but it's evident you couldnt keep up with a few numbers I posted so I don't blame you for calling my post ignorant instead.  See my comments above.

By any chance, are you suggesting we cut Revis, Marshall, Mangold, Clady, Harris n Giacomini? Giac, yeah. But others? No one is getting cut. Extensions there may create a few mils for 2017, like I mentioned, but it would push enormous amount of cap towards 2018 n beyond. When I say enormous, I mean 60-70+ mil for 2018 alone on backloaded deals. so where you think this was an ignorant post of mine, it's actually covering the cap management for future years n not just 2016 or 2017, something GMs do all the time. Would you like me to provide you some details of the "60-70+ mil" figure threw out there? 

Lets say you found a way to manage the cap n sign Fitz. Is he worth cutting a few starters n putting the team in 2-3 more cap strapped years, like I mentioned in my OP? 

LOL.

First, nice to see Jason came out with Mo's full numbers.  They seem to have shifted too much out of 2016 and into 17 - why do you think that might be?  (Note - it wasn't to "kill the Fitz deal), but even with that shift you were overestimating the cap hit by 1M because you chose to work with "the average based on the remaining 76M over 4 years" instead of the known information about Mo's 2 year cash flow.  So if you work with contracts for a living, I can only assume you pay more attention to detail in your work than you did with your post.

Second, I'm suggesting that none of Revis, Marshall, Mangold, Clady, Harris and Giacomini are likely to be playing for the Jets in 2017 at their current cap numbers.  Mangold will be in the last year of his deal, with a 9M salary and no dead money from cutting him, in a center market where the AAV for the top centers is 8-9M - and, love him though we all do, Mangold is not a "top center" any more.  Given Mangold's age, I'd expect him to sign a 4 year contract in the 6.5M range - similar to the numbers Max Unger got on his last deal.  That's 2.5M in savings on Mangold before you start even thinking about cap and cash flows in that deal and the fact that he'll never see the 4th year of that extension (he'll be 37 years old).  The same goes for Harris, who will be a 33 year old two-down LBer and due 6.5M in the final year of his deal; an extension would likely be in the 4-5M per year range with cap hit in year 1 in the 4M range and a ghost 4th year that exists only for signing bonus proration.  Clady is the likeliest of the contracts to be left alone given his injury history, but that same injury history incentivizes him to take a smaller AAV in exchange for guaranteed money.  Assume in the 7.5-9M range (and again, that's without considering cash and cap structures.  Giacomini is getting cut outright. 

That leaves Marshall and Revis.  They may just leave Marshall's deal alone - he's aging but still productive, and playing for less than market rate already, and he's already said he wants to retire a Jet, so there's no real urgency to extend him before he hits FA.  And Revis is always a tough negotiation.  But he'll be heading into his age 32 year, with $20M and minimal dead cap due him in his age 33 and 34 seasons.  Depending on how he plays this year, he may be willing to shift 2-3M from 2017 to guaranteed 2018 salary, which would make him harder to cut in 2018 (big benefit to him) while giving the Jets cap room in 2017 and only minimally adding to the 2018 cap (whether the Jets keep him or cut him).

In sum, that's somewhere in the area of 15M in cap savings with only minimal additions to the '18 cap (call it 18.5M for Mangold, Harris, and Clady, when the Jets currently don't have a starting C, ILB, or LT on the 2018 roster) + 3M or so for Revis. 

But yeah, tell me all about how doing that would add 60-70M to the 2018 cap.  I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

59 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

LOL.

First, nice to see Jason came out with Mo's full numbers.  They seem to have shifted too much out of 2016 and into 17 - why do you think that might be?  (Note - it wasn't to "kill the Fitz deal), but even with that shift you were overestimating the cap hit by 1M because you chose to work with "the average based on the remaining 76M over 4 years" instead of the known information about Mo's 2 year cash flow.  So if you work with contracts for a living, I can only assume you pay more attention to detail in your work than you did with your post.

Second, I'm suggesting that none of Revis, Marshall, Mangold, Clady, Harris and Giacomini are likely to be playing for the Jets in 2017 at their current cap numbers.  Mangold will be in the last year of his deal, with a 9M salary and no dead money from cutting him, in a center market where the AAV for the top centers is 8-9M - and, love him though we all do, Mangold is not a "top center" any more.  Given Mangold's age, I'd expect him to sign a 4 year contract in the 6.5M range - similar to the numbers Max Unger got on his last deal.  That's 2.5M in savings on Mangold before you start even thinking about cap and cash flows in that deal and the fact that he'll never see the 4th year of that extension (he'll be 37 years old).  The same goes for Harris, who will be a 33 year old two-down LBer and due 6.5M in the final year of his deal; an extension would likely be in the 4-5M per year range with cap hit in year 1 in the 4M range and a ghost 4th year that exists only for signing bonus proration.  Clady is the likeliest of the contracts to be left alone given his injury history, but that same injury history incentivizes him to take a smaller AAV in exchange for guaranteed money.  Assume in the 7.5-9M range (and again, that's without considering cash and cap structures.  Giacomini is getting cut outright. 

That leaves Marshall and Revis.  They may just leave Marshall's deal alone - he's aging but still productive, and playing for less than market rate already, and he's already said he wants to retire a Jet, so there's no real urgency to extend him before he hits FA.  And Revis is always a tough negotiation.  But he'll be heading into his age 32 year, with $20M and minimal dead cap due him in his age 33 and 34 seasons.  Depending on how he plays this year, he may be willing to shift 2-3M from 2017 to guaranteed 2018 salary, which would make him harder to cut in 2018 (big benefit to him) while giving the Jets cap room in 2017 and only minimally adding to the 2018 cap (whether the Jets keep him or cut him).

In sum, that's somewhere in the area of 15M in cap savings with only minimal additions to the '18 cap (call it 18.5M for Mangold, Harris, and Clady, when the Jets currently don't have a starting C, ILB, or LT on the 2018 roster) + 3M or so for Revis. 

But yeah, tell me all about how doing that would add 60-70M to the 2018 cap.  I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Keep in mind it doesn't matter. If the money is unused this year it will be available to us next year. So Mo's cap number would be higher strictly as a line item, but our spending ceiling would be proportionally higher by the same amount. It's a distinction without a difference and in terms of next year's spending ability the net difference would be zero.

In the end we pay Mo the same amount, and if the "extra" goes unused this year we can still spend it next year. It's just flexibility with no penalty, so there would be that much less instant restructuring needed if (when) Fitzpatrick finally signs. So it's not the backloading of Mo's contract that costs us spending ability next year; it's the signing of Fitzpatrick.

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Keep in mind it doesn't matter. If the money is unused this year it will be available to us next year. So Mo's cap number would be higher strictly as a line item, but our spending ceiling would be proportionally higher by the same amount. It's a distinction without a difference and in terms of next year's spending ability the net difference would be zero.

In the end we pay Mo the same amount, and if the "extra" goes unused this year we can still spend it next year. It's just flexibility with no penalty, so there would be that much less instant restructuring needed if (when) Fitzpatrick finally signs. So it's not the backloading of Mo's contract that costs us spending ability next year; it's the signing of Fitzpatrick.

Yes - of course, the concern is that if you have it, you may use it unwisely.  But yes, any unused space will roll over