Round 8: Film on Wilkerson

joerb31

Hey guys I'm back for another round of film on Wilkerson. After the signing I thought you guys would like to get a closer look at how he played last year. Let me know what you think! If you have anybody else would like I see, comment below!

16 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Glad we locked him up and dump him for a 2nd or 3rd as some of the clueless had him going for. 

You know because he's not Watt and they don't recognize anything other than sack totals 

Those who were in favor of that were so with the alternative being letting him play out another non-playoff year under the tag, followed by losing him to FA and getting nothing. Effectively, we'd be trading a 2nd round pick and $16M for 1 more non-playoff year of Mo, which would have been stupid.

The two rational options would be to lock him up or trade him (the latter being highly unpopular, particularly in the short term, unless a trade was made to move up to #1/#2 overall for a QB, and that drafted QB was actually good for a change). The single most idiotic option would be to have him play under the tag amount for 1 year, have his unresolved situation fester in the locker room (justifiably, I'd argue), still not make the playoffs in 2016, and then lose him for nothing (maybe a 3rd round comp pick in 2018 if Maccagnan could miraculously stay away from expired-contract UFAs). 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Those who were in favor of that were so with the alternative being letting him play out another non-playoff year under the tag, followed by losing him to FA and getting nothing. Effectively, we'd be trading a 2nd round pick and $16M for 1 more non-playoff year of Mo, which would have been stupid.

The two rational options would be to lock him up or trade him (the latter being highly unpopular, particularly in the short term, unless a trade was made to move up to #1/#2 overall for a QB, and that drafted QB was actually good for a change). The single most idiotic option would be to have him play under the tag amount for 1 year, have his unresolved situation fester in the locker room (justifiably, I'd argue), still not make the playoffs in 2016, and then lose him for nothing (maybe a 3rd round comp pick in 2018 if Maccagnan could miraculously stay away from expired-contract UFAs). 

He could have been tagged this season and next.  His two year salary figure wouldn't have been an issue.  Plus it wouldn't have been a long term commitment.  They also could revisit the trade front, could be a completely different market a year from now. 

Either way, play out this season and lose him for nothing wasn't the only alternative 

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He could have been tagged this season and next.  His two year salary figure wouldn't have been an issue.  Plus it wouldn't have been a long term commitment.  They also could revisit the trade front, could be a completely different market a year from now. 

Either way, play out this season and lose him for nothing wasn't the only alternative 

Could have, on paper, but it looked pretty unlikely. If they like him enough to tag him twice they ought to like him enough to do the deal they did. The difference in money may be negligible but it creates other non-cap problems. 

Even still I don't think it would be smart. 2nd round pick and some $35M to rent him for 2 years and then lose him? Meh. 

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could have, on paper, but it looked pretty unlikely. If they like him enough to tag him twice they ought to like him enough to do the deal they did. The difference in money may be negligible but it creates other non-cap problems. 

Even still I don't think it would be smart. 2nd round pick and some $35M to rent him for 2 years and then lose him? Meh. 

True but it allows them to keep him until the point where you would expect his play to peak or taper off and they wouldn't have a long term commitment to the cap to still deal with.  Not saying it's preferable but certainly was workable and again the trade front for DL could be different next year or the following year

On 7/18/2016 at 6:19 PM, Jet Nut said:

Glad we locked him up and dump him for a 2nd or 3rd as some of the clueless had him going for. 

You know because he's not Watt and they don't recognize anything other than sack totals 

If we play him at the 1 tech more often with Shelly, and Williamson together at 3 and 5 (We don't need no stinken 0) we will have an outstanding line and may surprise no matter how tough the schedule...if we can only get some production from the QB position. Maybe get a leap from Darth Mauldin, and some blitzes up the middle from Jet Lee (The midget) and we'd be as good or better than Denver. 

On July 19, 2016 at 10:48 PM, NYs Stepchild said:

If we play him at the 1 tech more often with Shelly, and Williamson together at 3 and 5 (We don't need no stinken 0) we will have an outstanding line and may surprise no matter how tough the schedule...if we can only get some production from the QB position. Maybe get a leap from Darth Mauldin, and some blitzes up the middle from Jet Lee (The midget) and we'd be as good or better than Denver. 

The Jets defense has no chance to be as good as Denver defense.   Two simple reasons why.  The Jets CB group( top three cb's)  isn't anywhere close to the one the Bronco's send out there, and the Jets  don't have the elite  pass rushers the Bronco's have,  that can take over a game.

The Jets defense is definitely good enough to win with( defense probably takes a small step back 7-10 range - as they are facing better teams. 

Some Jet fans are going to consider my post a shot at the Jet defense , but that isn't the case.

The Jets defense might not match the Broncos' because they lack an elite outside rusher. OTOH the DL being as monstrous as it is makes it possible that they just dominate in a different way. They're a solid bet to finish in the top 3 or 5.

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

The Jets defense might not match the Broncos' because they lack an elite outside rusher. OTOH the DL being as monstrous as it is makes it possible that they just dominate in a different way. They're a solid bet to finish in the top 3 or 5.

The Bronco's top three cb's they put out there in comparison to the three Cb's the Jets put out.  Is a big difference why the Bronco defense is superior to the Jets..    Jmo The Jets won't be a top five defense, but they definitely are a top ten defense.( again just semantics as that  defense is more than good enough to win with).

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The Bronco's top three cb's they put out there in comparison to the three Cb's the Jets put out.  Is a big difference why the Bronco defense is superior to the Jets..    Jmo The Jets won't be a top five defense, but they definitely are a top ten defense.( again just semantics as that  defense is more than good enough to win with).

The Jets' top 3 DL they put out there in comparison to the three DL the Broncos put out. Is a big difference why the Jets' defense can match the Broncos' of last year. JMO the Jets will be a top five defense, but they are also a candidate for the #1 defense. (Just semantics since totally definitely there's no difference between 10 and 5 and 1 when it comes to winning)

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

The Jets' top 3 DL they put out there in comparison to the three DL the Broncos put out. Is a big difference why the Jets' defense can match the Broncos' of last year. JMO the Jets will be a top five defense, but they are also a candidate for the #1 defense. (Just semantics since totally definitely there's no difference between 10 and 5 and 1 when it comes to winning)

The gap is much larger between what the Broncos )have at Lb in comparison to what the Jets have there.    The gap isn't any where as wide there-  when comparing the defenseline.( jets definitely have advantage there).     Throw the CB position in and gives the Bronco's a deciding advantage over the Jets defense. That isn't even counting the pass rush. 

Opposing teams had a choice to play the Jet defense or the Bronco's defense. every team would rather play the Jet defense.( just talking about a different level of defense).

14 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The gap is much larger between what the Broncos )have at Lb in comparison to what the Jets have there.    The gap isn't any where as wide there-  when comparing the defenseline.( jets definitely have advantage there).     Throw the CB position in and gives the Bronco's a deciding advantage over the Jets defense. That isn't even counting the pass rush. 

Opposing teams had a choice to play the Jet defense or the Bronco's defense. every team would rather play the Jet defense.( just talking about a different level of defense).

The gap is much larger between what the Jets have at DL than what the Broncos have at LB. The gap isn't any where as wide anywhere as it is there. Throw the overall DB depth in and gives the Jets the legitimate shot at the #1 D in 2016. This is actually counting the pass rush, though the Jets do not have a single mainstream, big name pass rusher.

Opposing teams will be sh*tting their pants playing the Jets' defense, no one wants to play then. (just talking about how scary good the Jets' defense can be, a different level from the others throughout the league with maybe the Seahawks their only legitimate competition for the top spot this year)

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The gap is much larger between what the Jets have at DL than what the Broncos have at LB. The gap isn't any where as wide anywhere as it is there. Throw the overall DB depth in and gives the Jets the legitimate shot at the #1 D in 2016. This is actually counting the pass rush, though the Jets do not have a single mainstream, big name pass rusher.

Opposing teams will be sh*tting their pants playing the Jets' defense, no one wants to play then. (just talking about how scary good the Jets' defense can be, a different level from the others throughout the league with maybe the Seahawks their only legitimate competition for the top spot this year)

Thanks I needed a laugh today. Good one.

On 7/23/2016 at 2:33 PM, Raideraholic said:

Thanks I needed a laugh today. Good one.

What made you laugh, were you trying to figure out how to get your team above .500? Or were you trying to figure out if your head coach will ever cross the .500 won\loss record?

Also stop polluting threads otherwise you will be gone. We are in board clean up mode now. If you want to talk football you are welcome here. If your sole purpose is to blast the Jets with every post, then good bye.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

What made you laugh, were you trying to figure out how to get your team above .500? Or were you trying to figure out if your head coach will ever cross the .500 won\loss record?

Also stop polluting threads otherwise you will be gone. We are in board clean up mode now. If you want to talk football you are welcome here. If your sole purpose is to blast the Jets with every post, then good bye.

I was discussing football. I gave my opinion why the Jets defense IMo had no chance to be the top defense( CB and pass rush- I don't see either group elite level).  I said they would be in the seven to 10 range defensively.( that's killing them)Not to mention playing way better teams this year. I had similar thought last year about Jet CB group- turns out I saw that coming before most did.

Again we will see after the season if I was correct or wrong.   When the Jets signed Wilkerson I gave them props for finally doing the right thing. Honestly ( take emotion out of it) when Jets needed a stop on defense did they get it done last year.( number 1 defenses took over.- Now if I was called Jetfantom would you have jumped on my point  of view than Raideraholic.

38 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

I was discussing football. I gave my opinion why the Jets defense IMo had no chance to be the top defense( CB and pass rush- I don't see either group elite level).  I said they would be in the seven to 10 range defensively.( that's killing them)Not to mention playing way better teams this year. I had similar thought last year about Jet CB group- turns out I saw that coming before most did.

Again we will see after the season if I was correct or wrong.   When the Jets signed Wilkerson I gave them props for finally doing the right thing. Honestly ( take emotion out of it) when Jets needed a stop on defense did they get it done last year.( number 1 defenses took over.- Now if I was called Jetfantom would you have jumped on my point  of view than Raideraholic.

This is a Jets site. If I or anyone posted negative team stuff on any other NFL forum, we would have been banned already.

I was just giving you a courtesy heads up to watch things like telling Jets fans they are living in a fantasy world, and that you are just giving facts .... 

57 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is a Jets site. If I or anyone posted negative team stuff on any other NFL forum, we would have been banned already.

I was just giving you a courtesy heads up to watch things like telling Jets fans they are living in a fantasy world, and that you are just giving facts .... 

Basically you just want to hear  just pro Jet stuff - don't want  actually football discussion. it's okay it's your site - can do what you want -just be honest.

Again Raiders played a lot of top  defensive teams   ( so many top one in their own division last year)  Honestly what the Jets put out there isn't even close to those elite defenses.( don't need a PhD to see the difference).

Another thread some fan said all Ryan Clady has to do is stay healthy and Lt is an upgrade.   When I tell them  that isn't the case as he played all sixteen 16 games in 2014 -and wasn't any where near the player he was before lisfranc injury.( that's negative  post you consider , or trying to give you insight what Afc West fan knows to be a fact. The Jets need to see Ryan Clady playing at pre lisfranc level.

Again won't respond again, just had to get that off my chest. 

Archived