Jets Starting OL on Opening Day vs Bengals

Sarge4Tide

Jets Starting OL?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these combinations is the most likely starting lineup (LT, LG, C, RG, RT) for Jets vs Bengals in Game 1?

• Clady, Carpenter, Mangold, Winters, Giacomini
    • Clady, Carpenter, Mangold, Winters, Qvale
    • Clady, Carpenter, Mangold, Dozier, Qvale
    • Clady, Carpenter, Mangold, Winters, Shell
    • Clady, Carpenter, Mangold, Dozier, Shell
    • Clady, Carpenter, Mangold, Shell, Giacomini
    • Clady, Carpenter, Mangold, Shell, Qvale
    • Ijalana, Carpenter, Mangold, Winters, Qvale
    • Dozier, Carpenter, Mangold, Winters, Qvale
    • Ijalana, Carpenter, Mangold, Winters, Giacomini
    • Dozier, Carpenter, Mangold, Winters, Giacomini
    • Some other combination

I don't think there is any uncertainty on the offensive line. Barring any injuries it looks like the starting lineup is set. I would like to see Breno replaced since he is a penalty machine but it looks like we are a year away from that.

I voted for the first and most obvious one- with Breno holding down the starting spot at RT. I just think we would have heard some noise about Qvale by now if he was a serious contender for the starting spot on that side.

I will say though, that there is still possibility for a trade to happen that would bring in an upgrade at the RT position forcing and Breno to be cut. Although its unlikely, I'm hoping for a guy like Joe Thomas. Then there's always a FA possibility like E. Monroe.  

7 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Honest question: If they had anyone they thought could start on the right side and were going to cut Breno to free up money, wouldn't that have been done already? That seems like a no brainer. 

I think that guy is Qvale and I'd imagine they're waiting to see how each of them play in TC/preseason.

Could also be waiting for a certain FA to sign before they cut him.

I could see Breno being brought back on a cheaper contract. No way is he worth $5m

They'll wait until the end of camp and give him the option of $2.5m or a trip on the "Hasta Lavista Highway"

Especially if Qvale plays well. You want depth on the OL

I am doubting anything changes here.  I can see the line being substantially differeing in 2017.  They are going to invest FA money and draft picks in the line this offseason.

We should all remember that Clady is basically on a one year deal.  If the Jets keep him in 2017, he is very, very expensive.

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

I am doubting anything changes here.  I can see the line being substantially differeing in 2017.  They are going to invest FA money and draft picks in the line this offseason.

We should all remember that Clady is basically on a one year deal.  If the Jets keep him in 2017, he is very, very expensive.

You're not kidding. If he plays out the year (the only way the team would want to keep him at high dollars anyway), it looks like Clady's 2017 cap number would be $15M. 

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I don't think there is any uncertainty on the offensive line. Barring any injuries it looks like the starting lineup is set. I would like to see Breno replaced since he is a penalty machine but it looks like we are a year away from that.

Well said, +1, nothing to add.

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

He may be a salary cap casualty.

11 hours ago, varjet said:

Clady had a catastrophic injury 3 years ago. Came back and had a pedestrian year on an injury that takes two years to recover from, then had a normal injury the next year. Before that he showed no signs of being injury prone. If healthy he should be back to pre lisfranc condition and a major upgrade. Then his contract is actually a bargain going forward for one of the premier left tackles in the NFL. This could be a huge feather in MAc's cap equal to the MArshall deal if it works out teh way I think it will.                

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're not kidding. If he plays out the year (the only way the team would want to keep him at high dollars anyway), it looks like Clady's 2017 cap number would be $15M. 

I think you're misreading the numbers. 10 mil plus 500k not 10 mil plus 5 mil. 10.5 mil total. 

that's a lot for what he showed in 2014, but a good number for 2012 Clady if he's fully recovered from his Lisfranc. 

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Is this scenario any different than Revis' when he was with the Pats? Just wondering whether or not we will be compensated a draft pick if Clady is not on the team next year due to the inflation of his salary. 

Strangley, Clady doesn't worry me as much as Winters and Breno do. Winters have never really become a competative guard. It would be easy for him to backside. And Breno pretty much stunk for most of the season. I think if the line crumbles it will be on the right side. Macc's been trying to score on a good interior lineman in the late rounds for the past couple of years. He may not have the luck.

8 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I think you're misreading the numbers. 10 mil plus 500k not 10 mil plus 5 mil. 10.5 mil total. 

that's a lot for what he showed in 2014, but a good number for 2012 Clady if he's fully recovered from his Lisfranc. 

Nope. That's missing $4.5M for hitting 2016 playing time incentives because he hasn't hit them yet. 

$10M base salary escalates to $13M.

$1.5M in playing time incentive bonus is paid when he hits it, but that $ wouldn't be LTBE (based on his 2015 season) therefore it would hit the 2017 cap not 2016.

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

Is this scenario any different than Revis' when he was with the Pats? Just wondering whether or not we will be compensated a draft pick if Clady is not on the team next year due to the inflation of his salary. 

I believe it's the same: 2017 is a team option year. Therefore if we don't exercise the option, and someone else signs him (for more than the league minimum), we'd be entitled to a compensatory pick in 2018 if we lose more UFAs than we sign.

6 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Strangley, Clady doesn't worry me as much as Winters and Breno do. Winters have never really become a competative guard. It would be easy for him to backside. And Breno pretty much stunk for most of the season. I think if the line crumbles it will be on the right side. Macc's been trying to score on a good interior lineman in the late rounds for the past couple of years. He may not have the luck.

Yeah, I think everyone can agree that the right side (RG, RT) is most concerning. Winters had his best year last season. That may not be saying much, but he showed consistency and improvement. Breno is a vet starter and had a bad season, I'm considerably more concerned with his play this year. Furthermore, he has a bigger cap hit and it can be argued that he plays a more important position.

I would love for the Jets to NOT spend money on Fitz, rather cut Breno and trade for J.Thomas (I think he is owed just over 8mil). That would fully solidify out O-line, truly give Geno the best opportunity to succeed as well as a nod of confidence (now that there is no money for Fitz), and improve our run game on the right side (whether its Clady or Thomas). 

I know its unlikely and the Browns have said they are not looking to trade Thomas. But the truth is, anything can happen in the NFL and I have a feeling Thomas wants to move on from the Browns. 

Yes, you're right. Mac has not been able to hit on a mid-late round O-lineman. But players in the later rounds need time to develop. Shell and Harrison could still end up being NFL starters. Mac has only been here a couple of years.  

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nope. That's missing $4.5M for hitting 2016 playing time incentives because he hasn't hit them yet. 

$10M base salary escalates to $13M.

$1.5M in playing time incentive bonus is paid when he hits it, but that $ wouldn't be LTBE (based on his 2015 season) therefore it would hit the 2017 cap not 2016.

Well then that's money already spent by 2017. I still think he'll be well worth it by that time, if he regains his form 2 years recovered from Lisfranc. 

I feel he's going to put up great numbers in Gailey's offense. He's well known for getting average linemen big contracts. Clady should be able to take out anyone singled up for the few seconds our plays take to develop.  

We could always trade him knowing that we don't need great linemen if he gets back to pro bowl form. 

Minus Brick in the wall, Jets' offensive line hopes to answer critics

Link

Breaking down the New York Jets' roster, unit by unit, in preparation for training camp:

Position: Offensive line

Projected starters: LT Ryan Clady, LG James Carpenter, C Nick Mangold, RG Brian Winters, RT Breno Giacomini.

Projected reserves: Brent QvaleBen IjalanaBrandon ShellWesley Johnson.

Notables on the bubble: Jarvis HarrisonDakota Dozier.

Top storyline: The Jets are hoping to squeeze another year out of this group, which needs an infusion of young talent. They haven't used a first- or second-round pick on an offensive lineman since Vlad Ducasse in 2010, and that didn't work out too well. They have intriguing young players waiting in the wings -- namely Shell, a right tackle taken in the fifth round -- but they might not be ready for another year. Pro Football Focus rates the Jets' line as 24th in the league, noting it doesn't have a high ceiling. Indeed, the only player on the ascent is Carpenter, who stabilized left guard after an underwhelming career in Seattle. Coming off a shaky season, Giacomini could be vulnerable if he continues to regress. The leader remains Mangold, 32, projected as the oldest starting center in the league. He galvanizes the unit with his smarts and savvy.

Player to watch: Clady has the task of replacing the retired D'Brickashaw Ferguson, one of the league's most durable players over the past decade. Durability isn't Clady's calling card; he has missed 30 of the past 48 games due to foot and knee injuries. When he plays, he's very good, having made the Pro Bowl in each of the past three years when he started every game. If healthy, he'll be an upgrade over Ferguson, whose play declined last season. It'll be an adjustment for Clady, who goes from the Denver Broncos' zone-blocking scheme to the Jets' man-blocking system. If his surgically repaired body parts don't hold up, the Jets are in trouble.

Training camp will be a success if ...: Let's put it this way: It won'tbe a success if people are ruing the day that Ferguson retired at the age of 30. There's a lot of pressure on Clady to live up to a standard of consistency set by Ferguson, who never missed a play due to injury in 10 years.

Wild card: With four starters returning, the line should have a strong sense of continuity, and that will be critical as they start the season. Why? Because five of the first seven opponents fielded top-11 defenses last season (yards allowed). You'd better buckle up those chin straps, men, because it's going to get tough early.

By the numbers: The Jets were a middle-of-the-pack rushing team (4.17 yards per carry), in part, because of Chris Ivory's ability to break tackles. In fact, the Jets ranked fourth in yards after contact (1.89 yards per rush), but they were only 23rd in yards before contact (2.28). Ivory is gone. His replacement, Matt Forte, isn't a big yards-after-carry runner, meaning the run blocking may have to be sharper than it was in 2015

Archived