Intriguing Players: Anderson and Peake

JetBlue

While much if not all of the dialogue on this board has either been about Mo Wilk and getting over the shock of his signing or the endless Geno/Fitz debates, I was thinking about a couple of players that have real potential and might have an impact this season, regardless of which quarterback is the starter. 

Peake, a projected 3rd rounder is more likely to make the roster but I would not sleep on Robby Anderson.  There is just something about this guy and his long lanky 6'3' frame,  excellent acceleration and speed (4.35) make him a true dark horse.  They both looked pretty good in mini camp and are coming off solid seasons.  I can't wait for camp to begin and see what these guys can do.  If they turn out to be as good as I think they could be, we will have some real depth at receiver.    What I like about them is unlike Smith a year ago, they already know how to run shorter routes and use then their speed and acceleration to create YAC (Smith came in running go routes and Fitz just could not utilize him.)

Good post.  I'm hopeful that the bottom rung of the WR depth chart will include those guys but Devin Smith is the guy who really needs a strong 2016-17 season.  While Peake and Anderson could surprise, the only guys we really have after Marshall and Decker are Enunwa and Kenbrell Thompkins (I still can't forgive him for that drop vs. Buffalo).  We all know that Marshall won't be around forever and Decker is a great #2 but a subpar #1 WR.  I want to see a guy like Smith recover from that ACL and really step up this year.

Yeah I like posts like this around this time of year because it gives me players to look out for during preseason games.  The position that really needs to be addressed is our punt/kick returner. I think that is where one of the WR slots will have to come into play while Peake and Anderson are more of a Brandon Marshall/Decker understudy. 

These sort of bottom of the depth chart guys are the reason we can't effort to carry 4 QB this year.  In the event that Fitz signs it will be interesting to see who is the last man cut.  I think these 7 are the keepers:

Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa, Jalin Marshall, Devin Smith, Kenbrell Thompkins, Charone Peake

Anderson, Peake and Marshall will all be judged on their ST value as the tie breaker.

If these guys want to make the roster, bust your butt on ST.

Kenbrell Tompkins better watch out..... the 5th and 6th WRs will be decided on ST.

Does KT even play on ST?

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Anderson, Peake and Marshall will all be judged on their ST value as the tie breaker.

If these guys want to make the roster, bust your butt on ST.

Kenbrell Tompkins better watch out..... the 5th and 6th WRs will be decided on ST.

Does KT even play on ST?

Excellent point. I forgot to include Marshall as he is probably the best ST of the three. .Not sure KT plys specials but I know Bowles likes his vets.

3 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

These sort of bottom of the depth chart guys are the reason we can't effort to carry 4 QB this year.  In the event that Fitz signs it will be interesting to see who is the last man cut.  I think these 7 are the keepers:

Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Quincy Enunwa, Jalin Marshall, Devin Smith, Kenbrell Thompkins, Charone Peake

I could see that, with Anderson on the PS squad.

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Good post.  I'm hopeful that the bottom rung of the WR depth chart will include those guys but Devin Smith is the guy who really needs a strong 2016-17 season.  While Peake and Anderson could surprise, the only guys we really have after Marshall and Decker are Enunwa and Kenbrell Thompkins (I still can't forgive him for that drop vs. Buffalo).  We all know that Marshall won't be around forever and Decker is a great #2 but a subpar #1 WR.  I want to see a guy like Smith recover from that ACL and really step up this year.

The problem for Smith is he probably wont even see the field until week 6 or 7.  He will have a lot of catching up to do, no pun intended.

I was extremely happy when we picked up Peake.  At that time of the draft I just had it on in the background as I was doing some eBay listings and such.  I  figured he was long gone from maybe a round or 2 prior.  I think this kid could be a game changer.  I wouldn't mind Having Peake and Marshall and letting Thompkins if they both shine during the preseason.  Haven't checked out Anderson much, so cant really chime in there..

Having a front office that doesn't waste late round picks on buddies of the QB or give useless picks to the had coach makes these kind of things possible.  Early impressions are very key for new long shot players so these guys have to catch everything in camp.  Nice to have some possible young depth at WR that is for sure.

This is a good thread topic.

Mac seems to be doing the same thing for the WR position, that he's been doing for the LBer position... building a pipeline. Lots of potential to be developed, but the long-view of it is promising because success isn't tethered to just one guy working out... there are several guys that can eventually pan out, which is a stark difference to the old way of doing things for our FO.

1 minute ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Looks like I know what im going to be looking over later on tonight!

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/robby-anderson/#player-vids

And of course you can view some highlights on youtube. Dude is a solid player and was worthy of a draft pick being spent on him. He needs development, but you can tell that the talent is most definitely there. 

7 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I disagree a bit here. B.Marshall, Decker, D.Smith, Enunwa are locks to make the roster.

*For now lets put Smith out of the equation as he will be out due to injury. 

Next up is K.Thompkins- basically b/c he is a vet and was the #3 WR last year (once Smith got hurt).

Then, to me, its J.Ross. HE is the experienced returner the Jets signed who could steal a WR spot from one of the young guys (remember, being able to put a player on practice squad always impacts how you manage the roster- J.Ross is not eligible). 

Then you look at the rest of the guys- T.Davis, R.Anderson, Peake, J.Marshall, and C.Worthy.

To me, Anderson and Peake stand out b/c of their intriguing potential (everyone seems to agree). 

After that, its Marshall, simply b/c he has potential to be a solid returner. But he did not look that good in OTAs. We will see if he improves. With Ross in the fold, if Marshall doesn't show he can be effective as both a returner and WR- he is gone. I think Worthy and Davis are gone too unless they really show something. But they seem to just be bodies to compete. 

If the Jets carry 6 WRs (excluding D.Smith), it could very well be B.Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, K.Thompkins, J.Ross (returner), and Peake. With Anderson being odd man out. But there is the possibility that Thompkins gets out-played in camp, or there is an injury, opening up a spot for someone else.  

31 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/robby-anderson/#player-vids

And of course you can view some highlights on youtube. Dude is a solid player and was worthy of a draft pick being spent on him. He needs development, but you can tell that the talent is most definitely there. 

Yes. I can not believe he went undrafted.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Yes. I can not believe he went undrafted.

I never heard of him until after we picked him up. Same with Peake. After watching a few games from both guys I couldnt understand how Peake ended up a 7th rounder and Anderson completely undrafted. 

Then again, that's a benefit to us. Maybe we found this years version of Allen Hurns. 

40 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I never heard of him until after we picked him up. Same with Peake. After watching a few games from both guys I couldnt understand how Peake ended up a 7th rounder and Anderson completely undrafted. 

Then again, that's a benefit to us. Maybe we found this years version of Allen Hurns. 

I know the two knee injuries caused Peake to drop (that and his supposed small hands) and the knock on Anderson was his slight build and again 
"supposed" lack of strength.  He probably does need to get stronger, but he seemed to me to be more than capable of dealing with jams at the line of scrimmage and getting into his routes.  Time will tell if those issues were overblown or spot on.   I would love it if we could somehow stash Jalin Marshall on the PS.   That kid looks like a playmaker. 

Just now, JetBlue said:

I know the two knee injuries caused Peake to drop (that and his supposed small hands) and the knock on Anderson was his slight build and again 
"supposed" lack of strength.  He probably does need to get stronger, but he seemed to me to be more than capable of dealing with jams at the line of scrimmage and getting into his routes.  Time will tell if those issues were overblown or spot on.   I would love it if we could somehow stash Jalin Marshall on the PS.   That kid looks like a playmaker. 

True. The Knee injuries caused Peake to drop, but to see teams like the Browns, with all their WR issues not spend a 5th or 6th rounder on him, let alone their own 7th? After seeing his potential I feel like getting him in the 7th was a steal for sure. 

58 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree a bit here. B.Marshall, Decker, D.Smith, Enunwa are locks to make the roster.

*For now lets put Smith out of the equation as he will be out due to injury. 

Next up is K.Thompkins- basically b/c he is a vet and was the #3 WR last year (once Smith got hurt).

Then, to me, its J.Ross. HE is the experienced returner the Jets signed who could steal a WR spot from one of the young guys (remember, being able to put a player on practice squad always impacts how you manage the roster- J.Ross is not eligible). 

Then you look at the rest of the guys- T.Davis, R.Anderson, Peake, J.Marshall, and C.Worthy.

To me, Anderson and Peake stand out b/c of their intriguing potential (everyone seems to agree). 

After that, its Marshall, simply b/c he has potential to be a solid returner. But he did not look that good in OTAs. We will see if he improves. With Ross in the fold, if Marshall doesn't show he can be effective as both a returner and WR- he is gone. I think Worthy and Davis are gone too unless they really show something. But they seem to just be bodies to compete. 

If the Jets carry 6 WRs (excluding D.Smith), it could very well be B.Marshall, Decker, Enunwa, K.Thompkins, J.Ross (returner), and Peake. With Anderson being odd man out. But there is the possibility that Thompkins gets out-played in camp, or there is an injury, opening up a spot for someone else.  

It is going to be a hell of  battle and anyway you slice it, we are going to have a cut a talented player or two. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

True. The Knee injuries caused Peake to drop, but to see teams like the Browns, with all their WR issues not spend a 5th or 6th rounder on him, let alone their own 7th? After seeing his potential I feel like getting him in the 7th was a steal for sure. 

To be fair, the Browns took Coleman with the 15th overall pick, 2 WRs in the 4th and 2 WRs in the 5th. That's 5 wide-outs by the time the 6th rolled around. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

To be fair, the Browns took Coleman with the 15th overall pick, 2 WRs in the 4th and 2 WRs in the 5th. That's 5 wide-outs by the time the 6th rolled around. 

True, but to draft a guy like Seth DeValve over a guy like Peake or even over a guy that they drafted later in Rashard Higgins kinda makes me scratch my head. 

Granted, that is hindsight. I never even heard of Peake until we drafted him. All I know is when I researched him the first thought that came to mind was "He has 1st/2nd round type talent" Knee injuries will knock you down...sure, but to fall to the 7th? To have guys like Seth DeValve drafted before you, 4 rounds ahead of you at that? 

Though, let me not pick on the Browns, they were more of an example. But teams like Vikings for example, who lost guys like Harvin, Cordorelle Patterson not living up to his potential etc. There were enough teams out there that imo could have taken a chance on Peake. To have Peake fall to us imo will pay dividends. This guys skillset is of a #1 WR. Good point with the Browns though, when you draft a crap load of WR's atleast shows that they're trying to address the position. 

I wasnt able to evaluate the draft this year the way I typically like to do given school at the time, but I think if I was able too I would have eventually been able to come across this guy before the draft and probably would have liked that we drafted him in the 4th or 5th rounds. To get him in the 7th is insane value. 

Peake to me reminds me a ton of Stephen Hill.  I think he'll make the roster unless he gets injured.  

Anderson will be interesting.  I think he'll be battling Thompkins for making the team.

Marshall I think battles Jeremy Ross.  Working on a Marshall scouting report, reminds me of a poor man's Edleman.  Has the same innate ability to just make people miss in traffic.  

I think the roster most likely breaks Marshall/Decker/Enunwa/Peake/Marshall/Thompkins (Smith on IR designated to return).  I think Anderson needs a bit more seasoning to make an impact, but I could be wrong.  This also gets complicated if they move Enunwa to basically a TE/H-back designation with Amaro, and fit in another WR.  

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

Peake to me reminds me a ton of Stephen Hill.  I think he'll make the roster unless he gets injured.  

Anderson will be interesting.  I think he'll be battling Thompkins for making the team.

Marshall I think battles Jeremy Ross.  Working on a Marshall scouting report, reminds me of a poor man's Edleman.  Has the same innate ability to just make people miss in traffic.  

I think the roster most likely breaks Marshall/Decker/Enunwa/Peake/Marshall/Thompkins (Smith on IR designated to return).  I think Anderson needs a bit more seasoning to make an impact, but I could be wrong.  This also gets complicated if they move Enunwa to basically a TE/H-back designation with Amaro, and fit in another WR.  

Peale has concentration drops, not stones for hands like Hill

5 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Peake also shows much more natural receiving skills. He doesn't catch with his body like Hill did. Peake also didn't come from a system like GT, where they ran the triple option. He actually knows how to run routes and get open rather than run the fly route and try to simply out-jump the much smaller college CBs. I just don't think its a great comparison. 

By the way, what ever happened to Hill having a resurrection on the Panthers? Is this going to be his bounce back year? 

9 hours ago, Colgateman said:

Peake has drops issues, much like Hill.  A good amount of Hill's drops were concentration issues as well, with him trying to get going before he secured the ball.

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Peake also shows much more natural receiving skills. He doesn't catch with his body like Hill did. Peake also didn't come from a system like GT, where they ran the triple option. He actually knows how to run routes and get open rather than run the fly route and try to simply out-jump the much smaller college CBs. I just don't think its a great comparison. 

By the way, what ever happened to Hill having a resurrection on the Panthers? Is this going to be his bounce back year? 

Peake is a better route runner for sure, but for pure athletic ability, Hill was better.  Neither of them were the focal point of their offense in college.  Hill was a better athlete with less injury concerns coming out, but Peake ran in a better system.  Both of them were better off not being the focal point in their offense because neither are fluid enough to beat No. 1 corners.  In GT, the read option served as the primary option.  In Clemson, there were 3 Primary options the defense were more concerned about before Peake (Scott, Watson, Renfroe) and then you can argue Cain as a possible equal.  This of course leaves Williams out.  So both of them benefitted from the college system around them.

On July 21, 2016 at 7:23 AM, JetBlue said:

While much if not all of the dialogue on this board has either been about Mo Wilk and getting over the shock of his signing or the endless Geno/Fitz debates, I was thinking about a couple of players that have real potential and might have an impact this season, regardless of which quarterback is the starter. 

Peake, a projected 3rd rounder is more likely to make the roster but I would not sleep on Robby Anderson.  There is just something about this guy and his long lanky 6'3' frame,  excellent acceleration and speed (4.35) make him a true dark horse.  They both looked pretty good in mini camp and are coming off solid seasons.  I can't wait for camp to begin and see what these guys can do.  If they turn out to be as good as I think they could be, we will have some real depth at receiver.    What I like about them is unlike Smith a year ago, they already know how to run shorter routes and use then their speed and acceleration to create YAC (Smith came in running go routes and Fitz just could not utilize him.)

Nice post JB. I hope and wish the Jets can develop some homegrown talent at WR. Especially guys that can get deep. We haven't had that since Santana Moss. 

• 4 weeks later...

Man what a showing by Anderson tonight.  I know it is preseason and it was against 2nd and 3rd stringers but even Stevie Wonder can see this kid as real talent. As does Peake.  Those two better be on the final 53 (barring injury).  I like Marshall too but of the three, I rank them Peake, Anderson then Marshall. 

Archived