3 veterans on bubble as Jets prepare for 2016 training camp

Gas2No99

3 veterans on bubble as Jets prepare for 2016 training camp

By Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

With the Jets just about set to begin their 2016 training camp, there are a handful of veterans who figure to be vying for spots on the regular season's 53-man roster. Here's a quick look at three of them:

PK Nick Folk: Folk has been the Jets' kicker since 2010, and he's been pretty consistent--and good--in all that time. But Folk also missed the second half of last season with a quad injury, and the Jets brought in rookie Ross Martin, a solid undrafted free agent out of Duke, to compete with him. Folk and Martin traded some big kicks from big distances during the spring. Keep an eye on whether Martin can continue that push in the summer.

RB Zac Stacy: Stacy only rushed 31 times in eight games last season before breaking his ankle. He was basically the third option behin Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. But with the Jets having added Matt Forte and Khiry Robinson in addition to retaining Powell, Stacy looks like he could be the odd-man out. And Romar Morris, an undrafted free agent signed after rookie minicamp, also got some reps as a kick returner in the spring. Which means Stacy has quite a battle in front of him.

QB Bryce Petty: As of this writing, the Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick hadn't yet come to terms on a contract. If that happens, it could spell trouble for Petty, a 2015 fourth-round pick who notably still has a long way to go. With this year's selection of Christian Hackenberg, plus the presence of Geno Smith and the possible return of Fitzpatrick, it's hard to see the Jets keeping four quarterbacks once the season starts. Which means it could be hard to see how Petty could make the cut.

Long shot

NT Deon Simon: A seventh-round pick in 2015, Simon spent much of last season on the practice squad after getting cut. But he still could earn a spot behind Steve McLendon, and defensive line coach Pepper Johnson had some awfully nice things to say about him during last month's minicamp. "He definitely made a lot of improvement [from] where he was Day 1, when he came in here," Johnson said. 

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com.

-Folk stays. 

-Stacy is gone.

-Petty COULD be gone if Fitz is re-signed. Otherwise they will keep 4 QBs. I just don't see the Jets moving on from Geno if they sign Fitz. My prediction is that they won's sign Fitz, so the point is moot. 

-Simon is gone. 

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

-Folk stays. 

-Stacy is gone.

-Petty COULD be gone if Fitz is re-signed. Otherwise they will keep 4 QBs. I just don't see the Jets moving on from Geno if they sign Fitz. My prediction is that they won's sign Fitz, so the point is moot. 

-Simon is gone. 

Martin could run Folks spot. Folk has been consistent for us, but his injury could spell disaster for him. They were neck-and-neck during minicamp/OTA's.  Even if Folk were to be slightly better now, I'd take Martin strictly based on upside given his youth. 

31 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Martin could run Folks spot. Folk has been consistent for us, but his injury could spell disaster for him. They were neck-and-neck during minicamp/OTA's.  Even if Folk were to be slightly better now, I'd take Martin strictly based on upside given his youth. 

Yeah, but I think Marin would have to show that he is considerably better than Folk to take his spot. If they are neck-and-neck, its Folks job. He is the vet, he is Mr. Clutch, Mr. consistency. The K position is all about how you are playing RIGHT NOW. Teams rarely look at potential or youth. Whoever can get the job done and do it consistently gets the job.- IMHO Yeah, its nice to have a kid with great upside who is consistently kicking really well, but all things being equal, you go with the vet. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Yeah, but I think Marin would have to show that he is considerably better than Folk to take his spot. If they are neck-and-neck, its Folks job. He is the vet, he is Mr. Clutch, Mr. consistency. The K position is all about how you are playing RIGHT NOW. Teams rarely look at potential or youth. Whoever can get the job done and do it consistently gets the job.- IMHO Yeah, its nice to have a kid with great upside who is consistently kicking really well, but all things being equal, you go with the vet. 

Not really, Martin has already showed that he's staying stride for stride with Folk. Folk is the kicker with an injury that usually spells disaster for kickers as well as his pricetag. 

Martin doesnt have to show that he's considerably better, all he has to show is that we wont miss Folk if he's cut. 

Gotta be careful with kickers. I don't care how good Ross Martin looks in practice and games that don't count towards the season. When it comes down to game winning FGs we know a healthy Folk can kick them and giving Martin the job without knowing that as he is an UDFA would be insane. 

9 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Gotta be careful with kickers. I don't care how good Ross Martin looks in practice and games that don't count towards the season. When it comes down to game winning FGs we know a healthy Folk can kick them and giving Martin the job without knowing that as he is an UDFA would be insane. 

Yes I agree risky with rookie on how he will perform in regular season. He has to be  a lot better than Folk to win the job in camp or maybe Folk's leg is not right so it makes the choice easy

19 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Yep.  How a kid does in shorts in July is much different than in full pads in the winter cold and swirling winds of MetLife.  There's no easy way to simulate that, so unless Folk's injury is more serious than we know,  he should win back the job.  His cap savings ($2.75M) aren't really enough to justify getting rid of a kicker we KNOW is solid.

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Simon Backup NT.

Breno gone once camp cuts come.

Stacy gone

Folk stays and either Ross or 2nd punter stashed on PS

Fitz will not be signed.... Geno, veteran Backup, Hack 3rd string. Petty goes to PS.

IMHO

Who is the veteran backup QB? The pickings are slim. 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  How a kid does in shorts in July is much different than in full pads in the winter cold and swirling winds of MetLife.  There's no easy way to simulate that, so unless Folk's injury is more serious than we know,  he should win back the job.  His cap savings ($2.75M) aren't really enough to justify getting rid of a kicker we KNOW is solid.

problem with Folk is it took him some time to get back to form when he got hurt in Dallas. He was pretty shaky in the first season with us.

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

As much as I'd like to see us move on from Breno we simply don't seem to have his replacement ready.  We're stuck with a below-average RT until the Jets can confidently plug someone else in there.

If they're stuck with a below average RT, why pay that person 5 million dollars more than an inexperienced below average RT? Can't someone else be just as bad for much less money?

22 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If they're stuck with a below average RT, why pay that person 5 million dollars more than an inexperienced below average RT? Can't someone else be just as bad for much less money?

Can always threaten Breno with being cut if he doesn't take a 50% cut in pay.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Who is the veteran backup QB? The pickings are slim. 

I'll tell you closer to the end of training camp when guys are cut.

Geno will get the 1st 4-6 games.... if he's killing us veteran takes over to see if he can salvage the season.

If he sucks then the last 6 games go to Hack. We get a top 10 pick and Hack gets some starting experience.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

As much as I'd like to see us move on from Breno we simply don't seem to have his replacement ready.  We're stuck with a below-average RT until the Jets can confidently plug someone else in there.

Exactly.. Jets did nothing to address the online in the early rounds so we can't cut or force them to take a pay cut. Which is another reason why we don't have much room to overpay for Ryan fitzdiva

OLine is NOT that severe of a problem as most people fret. The KEY is what QUALITY SCRAPS appear from now until the 53-man deadline. 

If history has shown us anything, QUALITY & formerly-decorated veteran lineman (Pete Kendall is the best example I can think of) get cut EVERY year from TCs due to the Roster mandate. Talent DOES slip through the cracks. A better option may present itself that is better than Breno, Qvale, & Ijalana. Clady is yet to regain stride off injury as well, so the concern is validated.  I believe MacCags would also likely trade for OL veteran depth if HE BELIEVED it was truly that dire @ that point in time to enter the season. 

Have Faith. The man has taken us pretty far, but we'd never know it because he's been so stealth and we're all just awe-struck then euphoric. 

There end up being some of the BEST bargains in FA come late August & early September. 

Eugene Monroe WAS available until today; he just retired due to health and, allegedly, being blacklisted. 

Not sure Petty and Simon should be considered "veteran" players, I know they are technically not rookies but kind of reaching for this one with 2nd year players who have not started an NFL game...

Folk and Stacy will be interesting to watch in camp as will Breno, Kellen Davis, Thompkins, Bruce Carter, maybe Henderson, Winters...

Jets players with a decade of NFL experience are still looking strong but how much longer will we have; Mangold, Revis, Marshall, Harris?

will Marcus Williams or Dee make the leap?  

Nick Folk: Folk has been the Jets' kicker since 2010, and he's been pretty consistent--and good--in all that time. But Folk also missed the second half of last season with a quad injury, and the Jets brought in rookie Ross Martin, a solid undrafted free agent out of Duke, to compete with him. Folk and Martin traded some big kicks from big distances during the spring. Keep an eye on whether Martin can continue that push in the summer.

Cutting Folk needs to be done before the season starts.  He's one of the higher paid kickers in the league and simply isn't worth that dollar-value ($3.4MM -- $5.75MM base salary in '16 and '17 alone).  Last year, we picked up Bullock at less than 1/2 the price tag and the younger Bullock put up almost identical (slightly better) stats with better kickoff stats in those 8 games during the more critical time of the season in more hostile (fans and winter winds) environments.

Archived