Jets Camp Preview : Special Teams ~ ~ ~

kelly

2015 Highlights: While the Jets failed to deliver momentum-changing plays on special teams last season, they finished in the NFL’s top half in a number of categories. They ranked No. 13 in both team punt return offense (8.6 yards/return) and team kickoff return offense average return (22.1-yard line) and No. 14 in team kickoff return defense (23.8 yards/return).  Jets’ opponents also had 21 inside-the-20 drive starts after kickoffs, which placed the Green & White No. 2 in the NFL. Nick Folkicon-article-link.gif and Randy Bullock combined to connect on 82.4% (27-for-33) of their field goal attempts and LS Tanner Purdumicon-article-link.gif extended his streak to 939 long snaps without an errant or muffed snap.

Usher in the New : Todd Bowles changed course in the offseason, hiring Brant Boyer after parting ways with Bobby April. Boyer was a linebacker with the Browns between 2001-03 when Bowles served as Cleveland’s secondary coach.“Very bright, very energetic, understands the game, probably has a lot of fire in him for what I'm looking for and getting things done and how I think the connection needs to be made between him and the players," Bowles said of Boyer.

The Jets won’t don the pads until July 30, but you can expect Boyer’s units to play with speed and ferocity.“Part of my philosophy is 500 miles per hour all the time,” he said. “We’re going to play snap to whistle and we’re going to punch first. That’s how I think I’m going to coach.”

On the Mend: Veteran Nick Folk, who was successful on 13 of his 16 field goal attempts before going to injured reserve in November with a quad injury, had a solid spring. Folk hit a few from 60+ and told us he’ll be ready for the long shots should the opportunities arise. 

Keep an Eye On: Everything. There are vacancies all over the place. The Jets are searching for new return men and veterans Jeremy Rossicon-article-link.gif, who carries career averages of 11.2 yards on punts and 25.1 yards on kickoff returns, and burner Chandler Worthyicon-article-link.gif, who spent time last season on the Texans roster, will be part of the competition.  Rookies Jalin Marshallicon-article-link.gif, who averaged 12.7 yards per return at Ohio State, and Romar Morrisicon-article-link.gif, a speedster from North Carolina, also figure to get their chances.Devin Smithicon-article-link.gif, a second-round pick in 2015, is working his way back after tearing the ACL in his right knee last December and could join the fray when he gets healthy.  Then at punter, it’s an Australian duel between Lachlan Edwardsicon-article-link.gif, a seventh-round pick from Sam Houston State, and Tom Hacketticon-article-link.gif, a directional punter who was a two-time Ray Guy award winner at Utah.

Key Question: Who is going to step up as the Jets make their transition?  There is plenty of opportunity across the board as the Jets moved on from last season’s leading punt returner (Jeremy Kerley, DET), kickoff returner (Antonio Cromartie, Unsigned) and punter (Ryan Quigley, JAX). Boyer referred to SRontez Milesicon-article-link.gif and LBs Erin Hendersonicon-article-link.gif and Trevor Reillyicon-article-link.gif as “energizer bunnies” and he will count on that trio to take on a leadership role to teach the young kids how it is done.

“With a new scheme, we need to mentally have everything down,” Miles said. “The mental aspect is more important than anything right now. The physical part will come along. Mentally we have to be sound because special teams can win or lose games.”

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Camp-Preview-Special-Teams/9cf3b9a8-7def-4537-9f92-062f7b7089d5

-I think Jeremy Ross will take the returner job, which will lead to Marshall, Worthy and Morris missing the cut (maybe ending up on PS). Just not enough room at the RBa nd WR position for these other guys. 

-Henderson is a lock to make the roster, but I think R.Miles and T.Reilly will solidify their spots on the depth chart with their stellar special teams play. 

-As far as the kicker position, I think Martin will have to really outshine Folk to win out the job. Right now they are neck and neck so I doubt it will happen barring an injury. Folk has proven that he is a clutch veteran. Highly unlikely the Jets will decide to go with a rookie instead.

-I'm really pulling for Hackett. He was absolutely dominant in college as far as punters go. LOL. But seriously, he truly made an impact in almost every game. I'd love for him to make the team and do the same in the NFL. But his directional running kick style may simply not work in the NFL as far as the team being able to protect him and prevent his kicks from being blocked. He may have to adjust his style, which may limit his effectiveness. Edwards, although not as effective, is a much more traditional punter- he may have the edge in this position battle purely based off that. It should be interesting.    

Archived