Coach Dennis Green Dies at 67

Villain The Foe

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000676158/article/former-vikings-coach-dennis-green-dies-at-age-67

Video in the link. 

Dennis Green, ex-Vikings, Cardinals coach, dies at 67

Dennis-green.gif

Former Vikings and Cardinals head coach Dennis Green has passed away at the age of 67, NFL Media's Mike Garafolo reported Friday.

Dennis Green through the years

Take a look at some of the best photos of Dennis Green through his years as a football coach.

Green finished his career in 2006 with a 113-94 overall record in 13 seasons and a 4-8 mark in the postseason. He coached Minnesota to a 15-1 season in 1998 and came one Gary Anderson missed field goal away from a Super Bowl appearance.

Cardinals president Michael Bidwell released a statement reflecting on Green's career.

"All of us at the Cardinals are incredibly saddened by the news of Dennis Green's passing. Coach Green will rightly be remembered as a true innovator, leader and pioneer among football coaches. We express our deepest sympathy to his family and his many friends."

Around the NFL will have more on Green's passing shortly.

Sad news.  

If I'm not mistaken, he was the 2nd African-American coach in the history of the NFL after Art Shell.  Ground breaking guy.  That offense in 98 was one of the best I've ever seen. He was a hell of a coach.  

Plus, he's got one of the greatest sounds bytes in NFL history.

"They are who we thought they were"!

RIP to a legend. 

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sad news.  

If I'm not mistaken, he was the 2nd African-American coach in the history of the NFL after Art Shell.  Ground breaking guy.  That offense in 98 was one of the best I've ever seen. He was a hell of a coach.  

RIP to a legend. 

Up there with....  

"Playoffs?  Playoffs?"  and our own Herm  "Hello, You play..to win...THE GAME!"

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Sad news.  

RIP to a legend. 

This.

Rest in peace. 

i dunno-67 is sort of an appropriate age to die in my book. Like its a reasonable age to die. I know, a lot of you guys are that age, just sayin, contextually 67 is a decent lifespan, a little young but he was also technically obese and sorta a stressed out guy hitting podiums and stuff. 

RIP coach

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Up there with....  

"Playoffs?  Playoffs?"  and our own Herm  "Hello, You play..to win...THE GAME!"

And add the question by a reporter of John McKay when asked about he's teams execution said I would be for it..:)

He was who we thought he was: the best Dennis Green quotes

By Michael Rand  JULY 22, 2016 — 4:28PM

Former Vikings coach Dennis Green, who died Friday morning at age 67, was known for his colorful quotes, expression and moments almost as much as he was known for winning football games.

Here is a sampling of some of the best quotes from Green over the years — many of which give a keen insight into his personality:

“There is a new sheriff in town.”– From Green’s introductory news conference with the Vikings in 1992, indicating he was going to clean up a team that had acquired a reputation over the years.

“Plan your work and work your plan.” — An oft-repeated message from Green, a testament to his unflinching belief in his system. He was 97-62 in his Vikings career, so he was clearly doing something right.

“Faith, family, football” and “When we play like we play when we play.” — Two contributions from former Star Tribune Vikings beat writer Kevin Seifert, now at ESPN.com, when asked for his favorite Green-isms.

“I understand the weather pattern picks up the Calcutta Clipper — swings down, swings up, lake front influence, then out.” — Green, as coach of the Cardinals in 2004, talking about the weather patterns before a game in Buffalo. He meant “Alberta Clipper,” but the unintentional faux pas remains magical to this day.

“They are who we thought they were.” — Part of Green’s infamous rant, again as Cardinals coach, after Arizona melted down and lost a game against the Bears.

“There’s no way you’re going to think we will give up 400 yards passing and that we won’t score any points. You don’t think there’s any way that will happen.” — Green, after the Vikings lost 41-0 to the Giants in the 2000 NFC title game.

“I’m always going to be on the high road. If you’re looking for Denny Green, you want to find out where Denny Green is, whether I am in California, New York, or wherever, look on the high road. That’s where I’ll be.” — Green, after he lost his job with the Vikings with one game left in a disappointing 5-11 season in 2001.

Archived