Our HC, year 2

LIJetsFan

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/todd_bowles_to_name_senior_council_of_players_to_l.html#incart_river_index

Todd Bowles quickly made an impact as the Jets' head coach in his first season last year, weathering a series of off-field issues to guide the Jets to a 10-6 finish, their best in five years.

Year 1 of the Bowles Era in Florham Park was marked by discipline, accountability, and decisiveness. In Year 2, however, Bowles plans to delegate some of his authority.

In an interview, Bowles told NJ Advance Media he intends to appoint what he called a "senior council" of veteran leaders to help maintain stability in the locker room.

"Last year, I pretty much had to take the leadership role," Bowles said. "I think this year, we've got veteran players that are ready to take a leadership role, or even more so, and have the team follow them instead of following me."

Bowles would not refer to this "senior council" as captains, which are titles typically bestowed upon on-field leaders. Instead, what Bowles has in mind is a group of players responsible for what he referred to as "off-the-field stuff," which includes having a say in disciplinary matters.

"I know we've got a bunch of leaders on the field," Bowles said.

But off the field, he's looking for something more.

"Like, sometimes, handling discipline amongst themselves, or at least having a hand in it, or understanding what player does what, and what players can get away with what, and what should their punishment be, or at least helping out there," Bowles said. "Because, essentially, they have to play the game. It's their locker room. They need to take more control of their locker room.

"They do a good job of that, but now it'll just be expressed a little bit more."

The Jets have a number of longstanding veterans with outstanding pedigrees--inside linebacker David Harris, center Nick Mangold, cornerback Darrelle Revis, defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson--but Bowles would not say who the players on his "senior council" would be, or how many of them he planned to appoint. He intends to make the appointments sometime after the players report for training camp next Wednesday.

Bowles also said he would meet with his senior council "once a week, to go over everything."

Bowles' first training camp last summer presented him with a variety of off-field challenges: a pair of player suspensions for violations of the NFL's drug policy; the subsequent arrest of one of those players, defensive end Sheldon Richardson, after a high-speed car chase; a stunning locker-room fight that resulted in quarterback Geno Smith having his jaw broken by a teammate.

Bowles approached all of those incidents by promptly exerting his authority and moving forward: Richardson got practice reps with the backups; IK Enemkpali, Smith's jaw-breaker, was cut; and Ryan Fitzpatrick took over at quarterback. Bowles then wasted no time dwelling on what was, no matter how frequently he was questioned by reporters.

It was a notable departure from the more freewheeling culture of Bowles' predecessor, Rex Ryan..

Bowles has been similarly no-frills this summer as the Fitzpatrick contract impasse continues to dominate the headlines. As far as Bowles is concerned, he can only coach the players who are under contract and in the building. Smith handled the starter's duties during the offseason program, and before long, Bowles stopped answering questions about Fitzpatrick.

"I have a team to coach," he said.

During last year's camp, Bowles let the entire team know he was in charge by frequently using wind sprints as a punishment in the blazing summer heat. But as a former player, he also has a unique ability to relate to his players on their level. Last fall, several of them said that was something Bowles was adept at doing.

"He's able to see both sides," Harris said at the time. "If we have a question about what we see on the field, we can go to him, and a lot of times he's able to understand what we're trying to get across."

Looking back on his first season, Bowles said he went in knowing what he wanted to do, but that one of his biggest adjustments was to get a feel for his players' personalities, to understanding which buttons to push on a given guy, and when.

And now he's ready to hand some of the reigns over to some of those players.

"You don't get away from your whole global aspect of what you're trying to do," Bowles said. "You try to tweak things here and there. But you don't know that going in, until you get in there."

Geno's broken jaw was a black eye on the franchise. There were a lot of witnesses to that event, but no one stepped up to diffuse it. Maybe having a designated council creates a place where players can air and resolve stupid grievances without getting more stupid. And having your peers talking about the need to avoid something simple, like getting arrested, is sometimes more effective than hearing it from management. 

Seems like a good idea to me. Wonder if the council will be made public. 

I hope it's indicative of Bowles growth as a coach, too. I never got the feeling that he was in love with the team he had last year and never really put his stamp on it. I get that he's a quiet guy by nature, but he couldn't look more detached on the sidelines or in the media if he tried. 

Todd Bowles quickly made an impact as the Jets' head coach in his first season last year, weathering a series of off-field issues to guide the Jets to a 10-6 finish, their best in five years. Year 1 of the Bowles Era in Florham Park was marked by discipline, accountability, and decisiveness. In Year 2, however, Bowles plans to delegate some of his authority.

In an interview, Bowles told NJ Advance Media he intends to appoint what he called a "senior council" of veteran leaders to help maintain stability in the locker room."Last year, I pretty much had to take the leadership role," Bowles said. "I think this year, we've got veteran players that are ready to take a leadership role, or even more so, and have the team follow them instead of following me."

Bowles would not refer to this "senior council" as captains, which are titles typically bestowed upon on-field leaders. Instead, what Bowles has in mind is a group of players responsible for what he referred to as "off-the-field stuff," which includes having a say in disciplinary matters.

"I know we've got a bunch of leaders on the field," Bowles said.But off the field, he's looking for something more.

"Like, sometimes, handling discipline amongst themselves, or at least having a hand in it, or understanding what player does what, and what players can get away with what, and what should their punishment be, or at least helping out there," Bowles said. "Because, essentially, they have to play the game. It's their locker room. They need to take more control of their locker room.

"They do a good job of that, but now it'll just be expressed a little bit more."

The Jets have a number of longstanding veterans with outstanding pedigrees--inside linebacker David Harris, center Nick Mangold, cornerback Darrelle Revis, defensive endMuhammad Wilkerson--but Bowles would not say who the players on his "senior council" would be, or how many of them he planned to appoint. He intends to make the appointments sometime after the players report for training camp next Wednesday.

Bowles also said he would meet with his senior council "once a week, to go over everything."

Bowles' first training camp last summer presented him with a variety of off-field challenges: a pair of player suspensions for violations of the NFL's drug policy; the subsequent arrest of one of those players, defensive end Sheldon Richardson, after a high-speed car chase; a stunning locker-room fight that resulted in quarterback Geno Smith having his jaw broken by a teammate.Bowles approached all of those incidents by promptly exerting his authority and moving forward: Richardson got practice reps with the backups; IK Enemkpali, Smith's jaw-breaker, was cut; and Ryan Fitzpatrick took over at quarterback. Bowles then wasted no time dwelling on what was, no matter how frequently he was questioned by reporters.

It was a notable departure from the more freewheeling culture of Bowles' predecessor, Rex Ryan.

Bowles has been similarly no-frills this summer as the Fitzpatrick contract impasse continues to dominate the headlines. As far as Bowles is concerned, he can only coach the players who are under contract and in the building. Smith handled the starter's duties during the offseason program, and before long, Bowles stopped answering questions about Fitzpatrick.

"I have a team to coach," he said.

During last year's camp, Bowles let the entire team know he was in charge by frequently using wind sprints as a punishment in the blazing summer heat. But as a former player, he also has a unique ability to relate to his players on their level. Last fall, several of them said that was something Bowles was adept at doing."He's able to see both sides," Harris said at the time. "If we have a question about what we see on the field, we can go to him, and a lot of times he's able to understand what we're trying to get across."

Looking back on his first season, Bowles said he went in knowing what he wanted to do, but that one of his biggest adjustments was to get a feel for his players' personalities, to understanding which buttons to push on a given guy, and when.And now he's ready to hand some of the reigns over to some of those players.

"You don't get away from your whole global aspect of what you're trying to do," Bowles said. "You try to tweak things here and there. But you don't know that going in, until you get in there."

>       http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/07/todd_bowles_to_name_senior_council_of_players_to_l.html#incart_river_index

The idea of a "senior council" is complete stupidity. If Todd Bowles truly had control of his organization he wouldn't need a senior council, short of that he would cut/trade all of the bad apples.. The point is a good HC will never allow players to step out of line in the first place. If Todd Bowles is so much like Bill Parcells, like every one here likes to think, Bowles (just like Parcells) would already have total control of the organization. After all, it's been more than a season since Todd Bowles took the reigns. This is just more evidence that Todd Bowles is doing a poor job of coaching this team.

I think you're a little unreasonable Mainjet.  Anyone trying to manage 53 young millionaires plus a coaching staff is going to have his hands full.  He's a head coach, not a deity.  As a former career NFL player, I trust his take on what is needed in a locker room over almost anyone else's take.         

2 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think you're a little unreasonable Mainjet.  Anyone trying to manage 53 young millionaires plus a coaching staff is going to have his hands full.  He's a head coach, not a deity.  As a former career NFL player, I trust his take on what is needed in a locker room over almost anyone else's take.         

So go ahead. Trust him. What you view as being good for you, I support. However, there's no unreasonableness with my post. Bill Parcells came into this organization fresh off a 1-15 campaign under probably the worst HC in Jets history. He instantly took the reigns and there was never even so much as a whimper of needing things like "senior councils". The whole idea is just a guy that's probably in over his head trying to simplify things for himself. 

So go ahead. Trust him. What you view as being good for you, I support. However, there's no unreasonableness with my post. Bill Parcells came into this organization fresh off a 1-15 campaign under probably the worst HC in Jets history. He instantly took the reigns and there was never even so much as a whimper of needing things like "senior councils". The whole idea is just a guy that's probably in over his head trying to simplify things for himself. 

You might want to check that. Pretty much the first thing Parcells did at every single stop was bring in his "guys". Veteran players that could lead and set the example for you gets players. I realize you're pretty much comprised of nothing but piss and vinegar, but at least try to sprinkle some fact into your agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

You might want to check that. Pretty much the first thing Parcells did at every single stop was bring in his "guys". Veteran players that could lead and set the example for you gets players. I realize you're pretty much comprised of nothing but piss and vinegar, but at least try to sprinkle some fact into your agenda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to learn how to read. My first post in this thread very clearly says Todd Bowles should have cut/traded the bad apples. So before you try to indict one of my posts you ought to know WTH you are talking about.

1 hour ago, Mainejet said:

The idea of a "senior council" is complete stupidity. If Todd Bowles truly had control of his organization he wouldn't need a senior council, short of that he would cut/trade all of the bad apples.. The point is a good HC will never allow players to step out of line in the first place. If Todd Bowles is so much like Bill Parcells, like every one here likes to think, Bowles (just like Parcells) would already have total control of the organization. After all, it's been more than a season since Todd Bowles took the reigns. This is just more evidence that Todd Bowles is doing a poor job of coaching this team.

How is this any indication that he isn't In control of the team...you just make up connections in your head as to why something was done without really exploring the actually possibilities lol. Being an ex player like he is..what if Bowles understands some players care to handle things differently and he is giving them this outlet. Maybe it crossed his mind as a player that, that is how a locker room should be handled and he made it reality as a coach. The reasons for having a council don't have to be negitive...you jus make everything that way because you dislike the regime. You are bias and that's why nothing you say ever matters in factual conversations.....or really in opinionated ones either because you almost never have solid points to back up your feelings. You just enjoy trolling and angering the posters who don't catch on to your little charade.

Archived