Geno to start preseason with chance to prove himself?

JohnnyLV

I think that if Fritz is not signed by thur. morning the jets should pull the offer off the table.  It would not be fair or helpful in any way to have the young qb's looking over their shoulders wondering if Fritz is going to sign and not concertrating [sp] on the playbook.  If Fritz comes around after training camp starts, it should be as a backup with a chance to win the starting job.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Well the Jets want Fitz to be the starting QB in 2016.   If Fitz signs Geno won't be a Jet in 2017

I wouldn't say that. It depends on the length of the deal. If they settle on a one year deal and Geno leaves in 17' then that means we are left with two QB's who currently haven't seen the field in a regular season game. It's trickier than that.

5 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Geno is the Jets best option moving forward.

Why the hell would the Jets even consider a 34-year old, below average QB who hasn't done crap in 11 years in the NFL?

And are you not rooting for us to lose all of our games. Thanks but no thanks for the advice. If this was BB Geno would not get a sniff. 

If Fritz comes around after training camp starts, it should be as a backup with a chance to win the starting job.

You do know your HC has already named Fitz as the starter, even though he is still unsigned?

There is not another HC in the NFL who would say something as stupid as that.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I wouldn't say that. It depends on the length of the deal. If they settle on a one year deal and Geno leaves in 17' then that means we are left with two QB's who currently haven't seen the field in a regular season game. It's trickier than that.

They are not going to sign Geno to a new contract and the are not going to use any tag on him so he won't be here.  They can sign any number of vet QB's to back up Hack.   As long as Hack learns and grows in the system he will be the starter in 2017, with or without Fitz being signed. 

Thats why they took him in the 2nd round. He is not a project like Petty, he is going to be the man next year. 

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

They are not going to sign Geno to a new contract and the are not going to use any tag on him so he won't be here.  They can sign any number of vet QB's to back up Hack.   As long as Hack learns and grows in the system he will be the starter in 2017, with or without Fitz being signed. 

Thats why they took him in the 2nd round. He is not a project like Petty, he is going to be the man next year. 

None of what you just said is set in stone. I can't ride with that...

And are you not rooting for us to lose all of our games. Thanks but no thanks for the advice. If this was BB Geno would not get a sniff. 

Do you think BB would even consider a roster spot for a weak-armed, 34-year old, below average QB?

BB would take Geno over Fitz in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

None of what you just said is set in stone. I can't ride with that...

Let me ask you this, if Fitz signs and Geno does not play this year do you think he would sign a contract with the Jets?

Do you think they pay him the price of a tag, or just let him go?

18 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Let me ask you this, if Fitz signs and Geno does not play this year do you think he would sign a contract with the Jets?

Do you think they pay him the price of a tag, or just let him go?

It's hard to answer that before you see what kind of season he has. That's the deciding factor. Things change... as of right now no one knows if he is worth that tag or if he isn't. He'll have to produce around the same as Fitz in 15' first and foremost and most of us that are on the wagon to give Geno his last shot see it possible for 31 TD's to be duplicated if he is new and improved.

34 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

I think that if Fritz is not signed by thur. morning the jets should pull the offer off the table.  It would not be fair or helpful in any way to have the young qb's looking over their shoulders wondering if Fritz is going to sign and not concertrating [sp] on the playbook.  If Fritz comes around after training camp starts, it should be as a backup with a chance to win the starting job.

I'm thinking the offer has already been pulled.  Don't think it's torn up.  Just not currently on the table awaiting Fitz's signature.

It would help make sense of things.  

1. Comments insinuating Geno may start.
  2. Fitz ignoring teammates and generally being a little bitch.
  3. Geno busting his hump all offseason.  Seemingly working out nonstop with anyone willing.

I'm guessing once OTAs came and Fitzy didn't sign, Geno did enough to hit the pause button on the Fitz offer.  Fitz then realized it was time to sign a couple weeks ago, but Macc said no.  Bowles announced he wasn't gonna talk about Fitz anymore.  And Fitz is pissed at Marshall n Decker for helping Geno look good...  just like they did for him.

IMO, his comment here says a ton.

"It’s not just about the quarterback position. You got to have a team around that position to play ball..."

It's the "weaponzzz" argument.  Bowles is realizing Geno didn't have squat to work with in 2013 and '14.  While the surrounding team allowed Fitz to succeed last season.

Are Macc and Bowles 100% sold on Geno yet?  No, don't think so.  But they can be in a couple weeks.  They're gonna see what Geno looks like and if he can seize the opportunity.  Fitz has no choice but to wait since he's unemployed and no other team wants him.  

It's kind of a thing of beauty.  Fitz has to be so pissed.  He screwed himself with his insane demands just as much as he screwed all of us week 17.

Question quickly becomes though, when do they decide on Fitz for sure?  After a week of camp?  After two preseason games?  Because we obviously need to bring in someone.  Whether it's Fitz, McCown or any other vet... he's gonna need some time to prepare.

Let's hope Geno shows up and impresses early.  Making the decision to cut ties with Fitz very easy and quick.  It'd be nice to be rid of Fitz and have the new vet signed by preseason game 1.

32 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

You do know your HC has already named Fitz as the starter, even though he is still unsigned?

do you speak to todd daily?.  He stopped talking about fritz at the end of ota's.  things do change you know.

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

It's hard to answer that before you see what kind of season he has. That's the deciding factor. Things change... as of right now no one knows if he is worth that tag or if he isn't. He'll have to produce around the same as Fitz in 15' first and foremost and most of us that are on the wagon to give Geno his last shot see it possible for 31 TD's to be duplicated if he is new and improved.

I ment if Fitz signs and Geno does not play this year.    I do understand what you are saying.   My point is also Geno won't want to sign a new contract if he sits behind Fitz in 2016. 

22 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I'm thinking the offer has already been pulled.  Don't think it's torn up.  Just not currently on the table awaiting Fitz's signature.

It would help make sense of things.  

1. Comments insinuating Geno may start.
  2. Fitz ignoring teammates and generally being a little bitch.
  3. Geno busting his hump all offseason.  Seemingly working out nonstop with anyone willing.

I'm guessing once OTAs came and Fitzy didn't sign, Geno did enough to hit the pause button on the Fitz offer.  Fitz then realized it was time to sign a couple weeks ago, but Macc said no.  Bowles announced he wasn't gonna talk about Fitz anymore.  And Fitz is pissed at Marshall n Decker for helping Geno look good...  just like they did for him.

IMO, his comment here says a ton.

"It’s not just about the quarterback position. You got to have a team around that position to play ball..."

It's the "weaponzzz" argument.  Bowles is realizing Geno didn't have squat to work with in 2013 and '14.  While the surrounding team allowed Fitz to succeed last season.

Are Macc and Bowles 100% sold on Geno yet?  No, don't think so.  But they can be in a couple weeks.  They're gonna see what Geno looks like and if he can seize the opportunity.  Fitz has no choice but to wait since he's unemployed and no other team wants him.  

It's kind of a thing of beauty.  Fitz has to be so pissed.  He screwed himself with his insane demands just as much as he screwed all of us week 17.

Question quickly becomes though, when do they decide on Fitz for sure?  After a week of camp?  After two preseason games?  Because we obviously need to bring in someone.  Whether it's Fitz, McCown or any other vet... he's gonna need some time to prepare.

Let's hope Geno shows up and impresses early.  Making the decision to cut ties with Fitz very easy and quick.  It'd be nice to be rid of Fitz and have the new vet signed by preseason game 1.

Dude, you are delusional.   

do you speak to todd daily?.  He stopped talking about fritz at the end of ota's.  things do change you know.

Why do you think it has been dragging on for so long?

Because your dumbass HC named Fitz as the starter even though he is not on the team.

54 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Something happens to head coaches once they get the Jets job could Bowles be that dumb or what.

7 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Dude, you are delusional.   

I bet many said the same about the likes of Wahington, Lincoln, Churchill and Gandhi.  Yet the world is a better place because of them.

If we can rid ourselves of this mediocre journeyman...  we too my friends...  can become better.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

Do you think BB would even consider a roster spot for a weak-armed, 34-year old, below average QB?

BB would take Geno over Fitz in a heartbeat.

If Jimmy plays poorly or gets injured Fitz's cell will be ringing with Nick Caserio on the other line. Geno if available would not be under any consideration by NEP. Because they want to win and they've seen him play. They could probably work a deal to rent a Fitz for 4 starts and then cut him. That could probably be done for around 3 mil cheap. But Jimmy will probably be ok. I think Beli is going to trade him, anyways and next up for Brady's backup is the NC State kid. 

Hard to imagine but I guess the Jets could wait until August 22nd to sign Fitz, a week to get ready for the snoopy bowl, I am not sure the Fitz offer is "off the table" but it does not make sense to increase $$ until you see what you have in Geno and the Fitz camp is probably ok with this plan, every deer in the headlight pick 6 = another million for Fitz

4 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Hard to imagine but I guess the Jets could wait until August 22nd to sign Fitz, a week to get ready for the snoopy bowl, I am not sure the Fitz offer is "off the table" but it does not make sense to increase $$ until you see what you have in Geno and the Fitz camp is probably ok with this plan, every deer in the headlight pick 6 = another million for Fitz

Imo they know what they have with Geno because he started 29 games and last year played in one game. Plus they've had him in their system for over a year. Exhibition games don't mean a lot it's regular season games only that count. He's had an ample and fair sample size as a starter. I don't think Geno's performance in pre-season is going to have a bearing on whether they sign Fitz or not. It's a contractual dispute. And the offer is still on the table. They could pull it if they want and declare Geno the starter. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Imo they know what they have with Geno because he started 29 games and last year played in one game. Plus they've had him in their system for over a year. Exhibition games don't mean a lot it's regular season games only that count. He's had an ample and fair sample size as a starter. I don't think Geno's performance in pre-season is going to have a bearing on whether they sign Fitz or not. It's a contractual dispute. And the offer is still on the table. They could pull it if they want and declare Geno the starter. 

Will you knock your bullsh*t nonsense off over and over the same old bullsh*t Geno sucks Geno blah blah blah 

Geno had the WORST WRs in the NFL the WORST OC  and WORST head coach in his short stint as the Jets QB 

Just another chance he'll complete f*ck up. How anyone could possibly support this turd is beyond me? But I have an idea the players will do anything they are required to earn their paychecks, but make no mistake about it, they will NOT:

1) Respect Geno or

2) Build chemistry with the jack ass.

The players have had their fill of Geno. The very same players that put on that Geno support face are the same players that are strenuous supporters for Ryan Fitzpatrick. ONLY when they were asked specifically confronted about supporting Geno, did they confess that they would support whoever was the QB. Not anywhere near the same level of support they are ready to give Fitz.

Regardless, if he is given another chance? It's:

1) Something he clearly does not deserve based on his past performance

2) His behavior off the field has been deplorable. Certainly NOT any reason to give the POS another shot.

The bottom line is he's only getting this chance because the front office sucks at getting QB talent. Geno has been rated as the all around worst QB in all of football 2 years running and that Idiot Mac cannot find a replacement for him.

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If geno goes into camp into camp and then the preseason playing well though who knows what will happen, I'm sure the jets want fitz either way but don't underestimate the motivation of a young player in a contract year. There was a quote from rapaport on this the other day, fwiw 

The Wilkerson deal opened up some cap room, which the Jets could then use toward Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick is supposed to play in a celebrity golf tournament this weekend in Lake Tahoe, and things could then move quickly after that. But word from NFL Network's Ian Rapoport on Monday was the Jets wanted to see Geno Smith with the starters for some practice reps before re-upping Fitzpatrick. If they don't know what Smith already is, that's a concern. Jul 19 - 2:58 PM

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Will you knock your bullsh*t nonsense off over and over the same old bullsh*t Geno sucks Geno blah blah blah 

Geno had the WORST WRs in the NFL the WORST OC  and WORST head coach in his short stint as the Jets QB 

Total BS and dumb and stale excuses. And I never called Geno names. I'm not a Geno hater. But he's not a good Qb. 

27 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I bet many said the same about the likes of Wahington, Lincoln, Churchill and Gandhi.  Yet the world is a better place because of them.

If we can rid ourselves of this mediocre journeyman...  we too my friends...  can become better.

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

How does someone have an ample size at being the starter yet never started a game? Geno played due to injury and had a solid game given the situation. How does that equal an ample size at starter? And if you go with the "they know what they have because he started 29 games, well they probably decided not to continue negotiations because they know what Fitz is based on his 105 games played. 31 tds is an outlier and is based on the fact that the jets have a top 5 #1 wr in the league and a top 5 #2 wr in the league that made up the #1 wr do in the league last season. And since Fitz had "ample amount" of playing time last season the front office knows that it was more about the targets and Gailey. 

8 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

How does someone have an ample size at being the starter yet never started a game? Geno played due to injury and had a solid game given the situation. How does that equal an ample size at starter? And if you go with the "they know what they have because he started 29 games, well they probably decided not to continue negotiations because they know what Fitz is based on his 105 games played. 31 tds is an outlier and is based on the fact that the jets have a top 5 #1 wr in the league and a top 5 #2 wr in the league that made up the #1 wr do in the league last season. And since Fitz had "ample amount" of playing time last season the front office knows that it was more about the targets and Gailey. 

The people dismissing Geno there's a nice overlap with the same people who thought we had no shot with Fitz before last season.  "HE ONLY WON 6 GAMES IN UH SEASON!!!"

Just now, drdetroit said:

The people dismissing Geno there's a nice overlap with the same people who thought we had no shot with Fitz before last season.  "HE ONLY WON 6 GAMES IN UH SEASON!!!"

And yet the guy who doubted Fitz was laughed at all through December.....then January 3rd happened. 

Exactly. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

And yet the guy who doubted Fitz was laughed at all through December.....then January 3rd happened. 

Exactly. 

Eh, Kenbrell Tompkins makes that catch we win the game and probably have a run in the playoffs.

1 minute ago, drdetroit said:

Eh, Kenbrell Tompkins makes that catch we win the game and probably have a run in the playoffs.

No. It must have been all Fitz fault.   All of Geno's crappy play was never his fault but anything that went bad in a game Fitz started is all his fault.  

Duh

Something happens to head coaches once they get the Jets job could Bowles be that dumb or what.

It was a very stupid thing to say.

You have to give him the benefit of doubt, he's a first time HC.

But still, that was really stupid to say publically.

Archived