Geno to start preseason with chance to prove himself?

JohnnyLV

23 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Geno shoulda gone 16-0 with Clyde Gates and Jeff Cumberland duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try Ivory and Powell and Chris Johnson and Decker and Kerley and Amaro and Harvin and good backup receivers like Salas and Owusu. He had weapons to succeed and 2014 at Qb was a disaster. And actually Cumberland was a decent TE, too.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Eh, Kenbrell Tompkins makes that catch we win the game and probably have a run in the playoffs.

If Fitz didn't complete just 43% of his throws while throwing 3 picks in the 4th we wouldn't have to push it off on Tompkins. 

Like I said, it was all laughter until January 3rd, then it went from laughter to excuses. Kinda like what you just did. 

Some Jet fans make you think Fitz is next coming of Joe Willy. He's an average QB who had a career year, with the best offensive roster we have had in years. He has a weak arm and will be a detriment in the cold weather. I predict he will lose the job via injury or bad play before the season ends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Try Ivory and Powell and Chris Johnson and Decker and Kerley and Amaro and Harvin and good backup receivers like Salas and Owusu. He had weapons to succeed and 2014 at Qb was a disaster. And actually Cumberland was a decent TE, too.

Harvin, Salas, and Owusu are all out of the league. Powell was an afterthought that season. This staff had no interest in Kerley, and Cumberland did and does suck. But yeah. 

As a disaster, he equaled Fitz in comp% and ypa with crap to throw to against a much more difficult schedule. 

But none of this matters because you're more in the tank for Fitzpatrick than I've ever seen anyone for any player ever before. It's impressive in its own special way. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Harvin, Salas, and Owusu are all out of the league. Powell was an afterthought that season. This staff had no interest in Kerley, and Cumberland did and does suck. But yeah. 

As a disaster, he equaled Fitz in comp% and ypa with crap to throw to against a much more difficult schedule. 

But none of this matters because you're more in the tank for Fitzpatrick than I've ever seen anyone for any player ever before. It's impressive in its own special way. 

We were talking about 2014. And we had weapons. Our worst player on offense was Geno. And you're in the tank for the FO. Not impressive. They can do no wrong. 

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

So at which point are we allowed to come to the conclusion that Geno sucks? How many games, how many Megatrons, the weather, the schedule etc.

I think this year this Geno's make break or break year. If he stinks up the joint, we can end this chapter once and for all.

Part of me feels sorry for Geno because people like you have put Geno in a no win situation. If he stinks up the joint, then that's fine. You can scream "Geno sucks" to the high heavens until the cows come home. The problem is I could see a situation where Geno plays well but yet we still lose games, simply because the opposing times are just flat out better. You guys would then pin the blame on him for all those losses regardless of how much effect he actually had on us losing. 

Basically, 90% of the Jets fanbase has already made up their mind about Geno and they're just not willing (too stubborn) to change that. The only possible way for Geno to win you guys over is to win games. And I don't think there's gonna be a whole lot of winning going on this season regardless of who's under center

1 minute ago, King P said:

I think this year this Geno's make break or break year. If he stinks up the joint, we can end this chapter once and for all.

Part of me feels sorry for Geno because people like you have put Geno in a no win situation. If he stinks up the joint, then that's fine. You can scream "Geno sucks" to the high heavens until the cows come home. The problem is I could see a situation where Geno plays well but yet we still lose games, simply because the opposing times are just flat out better. You guys would then pin the blame on him for all those losses regardless of how much effect he actually had on us losing. 

Basically, 90% of the Jets fanbase has already made up their mind about Geno and they're just not willing (too stubborn) to change that. The only possible way for Geno to win you guys over is to win games. And I don't think there's gonna be a whole lot of winning going on this season regardless of who's under center

We shall see Jets fans are used to being disappointed so it wont be that big of a deal Fitzpatrick did it last year.

3 minutes ago, King P said:

If the offense is scoring points and he's not turning it over the Jets should win because the defense is good. There's plenty of data out there that we could hypothetically point to in the event the Jets were losing but Geno was playing well. In other words, I wouldnt worry about that yet.

9 minutes ago, King P said:

Top three defense, top three WR group. 

Hof running back. 

If who ever the QB is just does not suck this team will win a lot of games.  

Problem is Geno sucks.  His turn overs will loose this team games.  

16 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Top three defense, top three WR group. 

Hof running back. 

If who ever the QB is just does not suck this team will win a lot of games.  

Problem is Geno sucks.  His turn overs will loose this team games.  

Fitz cannot beat teams at Buffalo's level and better.  Maybe keep him on retainer until we have a season with an extremely easy schedule again?  Then we can still miss the playoffs but some fans will be all happy about it.

15 hours ago, PepPep said:

I know many criticize Geno for being a bad leader and suggest that the locker room is not behind him, but he has not really done anything that bad for the locker room to actually turn on him or the offense not play hard for him if he is named starter as QB. Until further notice, people really need to put that out of their minds, regardless of how much Decker or whoever want Fitz back. Right now, Geno has the most experience, he's the most polished at this point and he's had a full year learning the system and getting accustomed to the O-coordinator and coaches. Its really his job to lose and I think he will prove it early in camp.

I don't know how the season will go with Geno at the helm. The Jets might struggle early and it might lead to a downward spiral. They might struggle and bounce back, they might do well early and gain confidence after a good start against their toughest competition.

But I DO believe regardless of how the first 6 weeks play out, regardless of whether the Jets get into the playoffs, or just miss out or not even come close, if Geno starts all 16 games, you will see him put together a very good season overall. He will cut down on turnovers and increase TDs as well at completion %. The last time he got to play a full season he did just that with considerably less weapons.

I really expect him to play well, and I think the Jets have similar confidence in him. If he does well, the odds are heavily in his favor that the Jets will do well.

There's a sucker born every minute. 

10 hours ago, Matt39 said:

So at which point are we allowed to come to the conclusion that Geno sucks? How many games, how many Megatrons, the weather, the schedule etc.

This year will be his last chance with the Jets; camp and preseason will determine if he gets a regular season game or two, hell even Ryan Leaf got a second chance

Sanchez is on his 4th chance Denver battling with guys named Paxton and Trevor, tennis anyone?

Camp start in 4 days...

17 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bowles is a fool for saying if he did,shouldn't the head coach be endorsing his QB who is currently signed and will be on the roster. 

The Jets are constantly surrounded by a fiasco year after year, 

Fiasco?  Not hardly .  Get back to me when Bowles puts an Amish beard on doing a press conference and we can talk fiasco.

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Decker was hurt and a shell of himself playing without  B Marsh.  CJ was garbage . Amaro hurt and awful.  Harvin so good not in league anymore.  Salas and Owusu?  Oh heavens.  The team we have had last years was light years ahead of that roster. Adding Forte is about the nicest thing a team can do for any QB

9 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Top 3 defense?

Top 3 WR group?

HOF RB?

Oh yea, it's July in Jets fantasy land.

Top 3 D- line is a possibility.  Top ten defense is realistic baring injuries.  Wasn't Decker and BMarsh top 1,2,3 receiver tandem last year .  QB dependent stat so Trepidation is realistic there. HOF RB?  Forte?  No idea .  He is old but LT did a nice job catching passes in his twilight of his career here.  Hard to say.  Yes we owe your old troll ass an apology for being excited about football in July.  

11 hours ago, slats said:

Salas is on Buffalo's roster ... he had 3 catches for 41 yards against us in that Wk 17 game.

5 minutes ago, faba said:

well this if it happens is certainly his last chance with the Jets to show the intelligence and maturity to run the team- if he fails he has himself to blame no one else

Very true. It is in the Jets best interest to see what Geno can do. He could certainly suck, or he could take a giant leap towards putting it all together. The Fitz people do not realize how bad the Jets QB situation becomes if we sign him (and lose future cap and players) and he does not lite it up. We are no where then at QB. If Geno does turn the corner then all of a sudden you have a strong unit at QB.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Decker was hurt and a shell of himself playing without  B Marsh.  CJ was garbage . Amaro hurt and awful.  Harvin so good not in league anymore.  Salas and Owusu?  Oh heavens.  The team we have had last years was light years ahead of that roster. Adding Forte is about the nicest thing a team can do for any QB

Lets get our facts straight. Decker started 15 games in 2014 (and started only 13 in 2015). In 2014 he was 74-962 with 5 Tds. In 2015 he was 80-1027 but with 12 TDs. He is always banged up as are all NFL players. He was a very effective receiver as the stats show in 2014 except not as many TDs. The reason for that was not as good a Qb.  As for CJ2K. In 2014 he was a good player for the Jets. His stats: rushing: 155-663 (a 4.3 average). His rushing average for the Cardinals in 2015 before he got hurt was 4.2 and everybody thought he was a good player for Arizona. And his reception stats in 2014 for us: 24 rec for 151 yards. Harvin had good games for the Jets, he only played in 8 and had 29 rec for 350 yards and was 22-110 rushing. He was also 20-495 in returns. If you saw him play in 2014 for the Jets he had some very good games. What does his retiring in 2016 have to do with 2014.  As for Salas and Owusu they are competent receivers. These guys are not bums they are great compliments on a team. The key difference between 2014 and 2015 in terms of skill position players on O was two players: Fitz and Marshall. In 2014 Geno had weapons. And a very good backfield esp. The problem was him.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Lets get our facts straight. Decker started 15 games in 2014 (and started only 13 in 2015). In 2014 he was 74-962 with 5 Tds. In 2015 he was 80-1027 but with 12 TDs. He is always banged up as are all NFL players. He was a very effective receiver as the stats show in 2014 except not as many TDs. The reason for that was not as good a Qb.  As for CJ2K. In 2014 he was a good player for the Jets. His stats: rushing: 155-663 (a 4.3 average). His rushing average for the Cardinals in 2015 before he got hurt was 4.2 and everybody thought he was a good player for Arizona. And his reception stats in 2014 for us: 24 rec for 151 yards. Harvin had good games for the Jets, he only played in 8 and had 29 rec for 350 yards and was 22-110 rushing. He was also 20-495 in returns. If you saw him play in 2014 for the Jets he had some very good games. What does his retiring in 2016 have to do with 2014.  As for Salas and Owusu if you saw them play you know they are competent receivers. These guys are not bums they are great compliments on a team. The key difference between 2014 and 2015 in terms of skill position players on O was two players: Fitz and Marshall. In 2014 Geno had weapons. And a very good backfield esp. The problem was him.

How to you start with "Lets get our facts straight" yet you stubbornly seem to reject the fact that Decker was healthy in 2015 and not in 2014. Question, How many games did Eric Decker pull himself from in 2015? Now, how many games did he pull himself from in 2014? Can you name me the lingering injury that Eric Decker had last year that required him to pull himself from any game form 2015? Eric Decker would have easily passed the 1000 yard mark if he was healthier and didnt have to pull himself out of muliple games in 2014. That has nothing to do with the quarterback. 

Its one thing to defend your position on Fitz, its another thing to do what you're doing right now. 2ndly, CJ as okay, but nothing special in 2014. He didnt break 100 yards rushing until December 1st, only had 1 rushing TD in 2014 and only had 6 games of 50 yards or more rushing. . What you're doing is simply mentioning "popular names" but it wasnt like this was the CJ of 2009. How is CJ's 650 yards and 1 TD on the season somehow Geno's fault? As for Harvin, sure he had 2 nice games but outside of those 2 games he did absolutely nothing, given the fact that he was limited with the playbook/chemistry and the fact that he wasnt a very good WR to begin with. He's never been. Sure, he's had moments, he may be better than some, but when has Harvin even been a top 10/top 15. WR? Never happened. 

You're naming names and not circumstance. Eric Decker isnt a #1 WR, yet thats what he played here, add to the fact that he had that season long injury with being doubled team mostly until Harvin kinda evened that situation out. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick statistically had a nice season, but the dude threw like 33 interceptable passes. He was lucky as all heck. He was ranked 30th in accuracy tied with Blake Bortles. His success was based on a legit #1 WR and a legit #2 that was finally healthy and playing his natural position. 

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I don't know when he sucks with our current team which is way better than anything we had in 2013-2014

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

How to you start with "Lets get our facts straight" yet you stubbornly seem to reject the fact that Decker was healthy in 2015 and not in 2014. Question, How many games did Eric Decker pull himself from in 2015? Now, how many games did he pull himself from in 2014? Can you name me the lingering injury that Eric Decker had last year that required him to pull himself from any game form 2015? Eric Decker would have easily passed the 1000 yard mark if he was healthier and didnt have to pull himself out of muliple games in 2014. That has nothing to do with the quarterback. 

Its one thing to defend your position on Fitz, its another thing to do what you're doing right now. 2ndly, CJ as okay, but nothing special in 2014. He didnt break 100 yards rushing until December 1st, only had 1 rushing TD in 2014 and only had 6 games of 50 yards or more rushing. . What you're doing is simply mentioning "popular names" but it wasnt like this was the CJ of 2009. How is CJ's 650 yards and 1 TD on the season somehow Geno's fault? As for Harvin, sure he had 2 nice games but outside of those 2 games he did absolutely nothing, given the fact that he was limited with the playbook/chemistry and the fact that he wasnt a very good WR to begin with. He's never been. Sure, he's had moments, he may be better than some, but when has Harvin even been a top 10/top 15. WR? Never happened. 

You're naming names and not circumstance. Eric Decker isnt a #1 WR, yet thats what he played here, add to the fact that he had that season long injury with being doubled team mostly until Harvin kinda evened that situation out. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick statistically had a nice season, but the dude threw like 33 interceptable passes. He was lucky as all heck. He was ranked 30th in accuracy tied with Blake Bortles. His success was based on a legit #1 WR and a legit #2 that was finally healthy and playing his natural position. 

I'm not going to talk about "almost interceptions" because I filed it under the category "too stupid to reply to." As for Decker he suited up and started and had similar stats except one in 2014 and that was TDs. And name me one NFL player who isn't banged up and injured. They are taped up, some have broken bones etc and they play. If you are activated and play in a game it is assumed you are ready and available to play. You can go over every player on the roster and say the same thing. 

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We were talking about 2014. And we had weapons. Our worst player on offense was Geno. And you're in the tank for the FO. Not impressive. They can do no wrong. 

Our worst player on offense was Rex !!!!

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Our worst player on offense was Rex !!!!

He gave Geno the ball and really didn't want to go to Vick. How was it Rex's fault when Geno completely fell apart against his future team. MM was in charge of the offense. Every time a Jets Qb sucks the OC seems to always be blamed by that player's fans. Come on now, Marty isn't a bad coach. It's just an excuse.

13 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not going to talk about "almost interceptions" because I filed it under the category "too stupid to even talk about." As for Decker he suited up and started and had similar stats except one in 2014 and that was TDs. And name me one NFL player who isn't banged up and injured. They are taped up, some have broken bones etc and they play. If you are activated and play in a game it is assumed you are ready and available to play. You can go over every player on the roster and say the same thing. 

We dont have to talk about "almost interceptions", though showing how interceptable passes turned into TD's because of what the #1 duo in the league provided is far from "too stupid to acknowledge", though that was more of a shot which I can take. But him being 30th in accuracy says enough anyway. 

Answer the question, there's a difference between "players playing hurt, and players being injured" Sure, players play hurt all the time, its the nature of the business, but when you're injured it means that you "cant play" which is why during multiple games Decker pulled himself out of the game because the situation was more dire than "playing hurt". How about answering questions presented to you? If you think its too stupid to talk about interceptable passes I can understand that, but when you keep hanging your hat on Eric Deckers 2014 performance and trying to blame Geno for it and someone ask you the question about his injury situation, such as "pulling himself out of multiple games" please dont sidestep the question with "Decker suited up". Thats when you show that even this topic is "too stupid to talk about", not because the topic itself is stupid, but its stupid to constantly ask a question that someone purposely sidesteps in order to save face on a perspective that would be utterly demolished if answered honestly. 

Decker was injured for the majority of the season, missing a game and pulling himself out of multiple others. Decker was even interviewed and he said himself that he will "Never try to come back from an injury too quickly because all it did was linger throughout the season because he didnt properly handle the injury". So, am I to take your "Decker suited up so he's okay" position, should I take Decker's own words or is this also too stupid to talk about? 

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He gave Geno the ball and really didn't want to go to Vick. How was it Rex's fault when Geno completely fell apart against his future team. MM was in charge of the offense. Every time a Jets Qb sucks the OC seems to always be blamed by that player's fans. Come on now, Marty isn't a bad coach. It's just an excuse.

No QB was ever going to be successful under Rex w/o a stellar Oline and a quality running game.  It's the reason Sanchez looked good his 1st 2 years with the Jets making the playoffs. Once those 2 units became subpar it put extreme pressure on the QB and Rex was too stubborn to change up his "offensive philosophy".

MM may not have been a bad OC but he was made to look it, operating under Rex's overall vision for the team - Defense first who cares about Offense.

Put Fitz on those 2013/2014 team(s) and were not even having this discussion now, as he would have booed out of Metlife and probably wouldn't even be in the NFL right now.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

We dont have to talk about "almost interceptions", thought showing how interceptable passes turned into TD's because of what the #1 duo in the league provided is far from "too stupid to acknowledge", though that was more of a shot which I can take. But anyway, 

Answer the question, there's a difference between "players playing hurt, and players being injured" Sure, players play hurt all the time, its the nature of the business, but when you're injured it means that you "cant play" which is why during multiple games Decker pulled himself out of the game because the situation was more dire than "playing hurt". How about answering questions presented to you? If you think its too stupid to talk about interceptable passes I can understand that, but when you keep hanging your hat on Eric Deckers 2014 performance and trying to blame Geno for it and someone ask you the question about his injury situation, such as "pulling himself out of multiple games" please dont sidestep the question with "Decker suited up". Thats when you show that even this topic is "too stupid to talk about", not because the topic itself is stupid, but its stupid to constantly ask a question that someone purposely sidesteps in order to save face on a perspective that would be utterly demolished if answered honestly. 

Decker was injured for the majority of the season, missing a game and pulling himself out of multiple others. Decker was even interviewed and he said himself that he will "Never try to come back from an injury too quickly because all it did was linger throughout the season because he didnt properly handle the injury". So, am I to take your "Decker suited up so he's okay" position, should I take Decker's own words or is this also too stupid to talk about? 

Decker in 2014 had almost 1000 passing yards. He was effective.. And why with similar numbers seven more Tds in 2015. There were a lot more Tds in 2015. Geno had 13 Td receptions in 2014. Fitz had 31 in 2015. You're trying to categorize injuries and you can't do it. If a guy is active and participates then he is healthy enough to play. Actually one guy who also played injured in 2015 was Fitz. He had a broken left thumb. You give him no pass for that. I'm not blaming Geno I'n just saying it is bogus to say he had no skill position weapons on O in 2014. He did. 

13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We went 4-12 and our offense was putrid. I have no idea what universe that you live in where Jeff Cumberland, Jeremy Kerley, Chris "1 shot away from a coma" Owusu, and Greg "Limping Hawaiian" Salas are considered viable weapons. Outside of an injured Decker until the end and Harvin (for barely a seasons worth) we had absolutely NOTHING worth ANYTHING on the field.  Couple that with a sh*t for brains OC and a Head Coach who would rather eat pizza off his wife's feet than sit in on an offensive meeting (something he didn't do until HIS 3RD YEAR), and you have a recipe for a sh*t stew.

The new FO rebuilt this team, added a few key pieces and hired the right guys and made Fitzf*ckface, with his one read brain and noodle arm, look like a franchise guy.  The trust and respect is something this FO EARNED.

The fact that there are fans sniffing Fitz's ass and getting pissed the Jets won't offer more than the 12mil offer is beyond laughable.  I don't even care for Geno, but I'll be damned before you see me advocating for the guy who, by himself, destroyed our playoff hopes be given the 14mil+ he's been asking for.  

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

We went 4-12 and our offense was putrid. I have no idea what universe that you live in where Jeff Cumberland, Jeremy Kerley, Chris "1 shot away from a coma" Owusu, and Greg "Limping Hawaiian" Salas are considered viable weapons. Outside of an injured Decker until the end and Harvin (for barely a seasons worth) we had absolutely NOTHING worth ANYTHING on the field.  Couple that with a sh*t for brains OC and a Head Coach who would rather eat pizza off his wife's feet than sit in on an offensive meeting (something he didn't do until HIS 3RD YEAR), and you have a recipe for a sh*t stew.

The new FO rebuilt this team, added a few key pieces and hired the right guys and made Fitzf*ckface, with his one read brain and noodle arm, look like a franchise guy.  The trust and respect is something this FO EARNED.

I listed the skill position players we had and their stats earlier. If you do not want to accept that ok with me. The Decker excuse esp is BS. He had a good year. 

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So if it was all the talent around him, and not Fitz in any way, we should reasonably expect a superior QB talent and physical specimen like Geno Smith to exceed the production of a loser like Fitz here in 2016, right?

We have one of the best talented rosters on O I can recall, at least since the Vinny 98' Era.  So good it carried that loser Fitz to Jets Franchise records and a 10 win season.  At every position we're either equal, or better, in 2016 than in 2015.

So if we replace that horrible loser Fitz with a great talent like Geno, naturally such a talent, with a better arm, better legs, better brain and natural leadership skills, will produce at least as well as limp armed, limp legged, limp brained "Fitz****face", right?

Great, it's good to establish expectations from our players, and you've ensured we set the bar for Geno this year.  Excellent.

Archived