Jets have given Fitzpatrick multiple contract offers to choose from

joewilly12

2 hours ago, ylekram said:

whats hilarious is this post. who backed up fitz last year when geno was out? for 2 games? really? every thing the jets brass has done says they want him back. with a 24-36m contract on the table, you think that the jets are "rolling the dice" with geno? lol. even if I buy the fact that the brass feels that geno can be almost or as good as fitz(which in itself is a huge gamble), you want me to believe the jets will double down on that huge gamble by not having a viable back up? especially with a roster that some say is playoff worthy. decisions like that get gm's fired when they don't work out. if I were you, I would get this "rolling the dice" nonsense out of your head. Fitzpatrick was always going to and will be the day 1 starter

Take a look at what starting QB's earn in this league then look at the offer to Fitz and telll me the Jets really want him back that badly.. Sure they'd prefer the stability of going into the season with him as the starter but their actions are far from sending a massive vote of confidence in Fitz.  Geno was/is a starting QB in this league , there's no one currently available that is either better or who would have knowledge of the Jets system. If Fitz continues to act like a diva , they will certainly go with Geno without hesitation. 

I'd contend that starting Fitz against this schedule is just as much of a roll of the dice as is starting Geno. At least Geno has the physical attributes and can still evolve into a solid option, the Jets know exactly what they have in Fitz and if it wasn't enough last year how can they confidently feel he'll take the next step when there's 11 sesaons and 5 teams of evidence saying last year was an outlier.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

Take a look at what starting QB's earn in this league then look at the offer to Fitz and telll me the Jets really want him back that badly.. Sure they'd prefer the stability of going into the season with him as the starter but their actions are far from sending a massive vote of confidence in Fitz.  Geno was/is a starting QB in this league , there's no one currently available that is either better or who would have knowledge of the Jets system. If Fitz continues to act like a diva , they will certainly go with Geno without hesitation. 

I'd contend that starting Fitz against this schedule is just as much of a roll of the dice as is starting Geno. At least Geno has the physical attributes and can still evolve into a solid option, the Jets know exactly what they have in Fitz and if it wasn't enough last year how can they confidently feel he'll take the next step when there's 11 sesaons and 5 teams of evidence saying last year was an outlier.

look. you can reword your opinion 100 different ways, its still the same. I get it. and I don't necessarily 100% disagree with it. but the bottom line is this. the jets want fitz. fitz wants more money. the jets aint starting geno. fitz aint walking away from 24m. this situation is going to come to a head. there will be a "face saving" deal struck really soon. its the smart move. geno smith's next start will come when he earns it, unlike the 3 years prior

2 minutes ago, ylekram said:

look. you can reword your opinion 100 different ways, its still the same. I get it. and I don't necessarily 100% disagree with it. but the bottom line is this. the jets want fitz. fitz wants more money. the jets aint starting geno. fitz aint walking away from 24m. this situation is going to come to a head. there will be a "face saving" deal struck really soon. its the smart move. geno smith's next start will come when he earns it, unlike the 3 years prior

We shall see, realistically Fitz/Jets  probably have about 3 weeks max before the point of no return. 

5 minutes ago, ylekram said:

Well they are running out of time to get it done.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Lol. I fully expect Fitz to sign, and I've said it all along. it won't come as any shock to me. 

You're the outlier though, dude, who thinks Fitz has a potential three year window as a starter. The Jets see him as a stopgap/mentor, and want him in that mentor role ASAP. 

We'll see who's making that face if/when Fitz is playing against a big boy schedule. I suspect a number of @Smashmouth posts. 

way to knock down the team before the season even starts Slats

13 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Guess that Fitz is answering his texts again. 

We don't see Marshall chilling with Geno now do we. But of course this means nothing. And Jets players are idiots and fans know more about football than they do. Yeah, right. 

4 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

WHY?? No one else has offered him even $8 mill lol...he's a QB without a team and the Jets are bidding against themselves. If I'm offering Fitz 3yrs/30 mill, it's $8 mill yr one and that is the only guarantee...8 mill as a signing bonus after vet min. Then it's $10mill yr two and $12 mill yr three. Put incentives in for playoffs, AFC champ and SB which will be NLTBE and not count against the cap..I don't care. But offering him $10 mill per which would all count against the cap is insane IMO.

That right there is too much sense for Fitz lovers to swallow b

Personally, I think if Fitzpatrick was coming back, he would have signed already.

I understand the business aspect of it, but, I can't help but feel that Fitzpatrick is over-estimating his value.

Let's face it, in the biggest & most important game of the season where Fitz had a chance to get this team to the playoffs, he layed an egg, throwing multiple INT's.

At this point, I say lets start training camp and let the chips fall where they may.

16 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

We don't see Marshall chilling with Geno now do we. But of course this means nothing. And Jets players are idiots and fans know more about football than they do. Yeah, right. 

No Geno is doing something neither Marshall or Fitz are doing - preparing for the season.

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No Geno is doing something neither Marshall or Fitz are doing - preparing for the season.

You're talking about a player who played with a broken thumb last year. And went back into the same game he was injured in after Geno was hurt. Not exactly a slacker now. He's a FA. Anything wrong with that?

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You're talking about a player who played with a broken thumb last year. And went back into the same game he was injured in after Geno was hurt. Not exactly a slacker now. He's a FA. Anything wrong with that?

I'm sure Fitz will come into camp in perfect shape w/o any rust ,after all isn't that what HOF qb's do - oh no wait we're talking about a journeyman QB that could use all the work he can get. 

16 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'm sure Fitz will come into camp in perfect shape w/o any rust ,after all isn't that what HOF qb's do - oh no wait we're talking about a journeyman QB that could use all the work he can get. 

Well, the guy is supposed to be smart. Even his haters will admit that. Unless they want to go back in time and say he cheated to get into Harvard. Probably. So you would think he will be in shape. He's survived many years and gotten a job in the NFL when the odds were stacked against him. He wouldn't have if out of shape. btw he can't train at Florham Park and couldn't the entire off season without a contract. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well, the guy is supposed to be smart. Even his haters will admit that. Unless they want to go back in time and say he cheated to get into Harvard. Probably. So you would think he will be in shape. He's survived many years and gotten a job in the NFL when the odds were stacked against him. He wouldn't have if out of shape. btw he can't train at Florham Park and couldn't the entire off season without a contract. 

Wow. Lifetime should make a made-for-TV movie about his life, starring Valerie Bertinelli as Fitz. 

48 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Exactly, that's my point -  in previous seasons or more specifically last season as a Jet he was involved in OTA's ,mini camp , TC even though he was nursing an injury he was getting valuable reps with his new team and players. This season he hasn't worked at all with our new RB(Forte) our new LT (Clady) our "new' TE Amaro. Sure he may be working out keeping in shape (although recent pics of him bring that into doubt) but its the lack of work and cohesiveness with the entire offense that bothers me.

Being smart aids in learning the playbook , but nothing builds profiency like actual practice.

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Exactly, that's my point -  in previous seasons or more specifically last season as a Jet he was involved in OTA's ,mini camp , TC even though he was nursing an injury he was getting valuable reps with his new team and players. This season he hasn't worked at all with our new RB(Forte) our new LT (Clady) our "new' TE Amaro. Sure he may be working out keeping in shape (although recent pics of him bring that into doubt) but its the lack of work and cohesiveness with the entire offense that bothers me.

Being smart aids in learning the playbook , but nothing builds profiency like actual practice.

That's why they should have signed him. Everything pointed after last season to a positive and constructive off season. With momentum coming into 2016. And a complete off season of the offense working together. I don't think anyone expected this esp the coaching staff. If this ends up being all about a couple of million bucks it's stupid. Or insisting that he signs a 3 year deal when he asked for a one year deal. Let's worry first about 2016. They can get somebody else next year to backup Hack. It takes two not to tango. And so why his fault if he hasn't signed a contract. 

12 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

That's why they should have signed him. Everything pointed after last season to a positive and constructive off season. With momentum coming into 2016. And a complete off season of the offense working together. I don't think anyone expected this esp the coaching staff. If this ends up being all about a couple of million bucks it's stupid. Or insisting that he signs a 3 year deal when he asked for a one year deal. Let's worry first about 2016. They can get somebody else next year to backup Hack. It takes two not to tango. And so why his fault if he hasn't signed a contract. 

Because fitzpatrick isn't good enough to try and railroad the team into paying him more than he's worth 

Archived