per Ian Rapoport no deal for Fitz before camp

F.Chowds

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Pac said:

If Fitz strolls in at the 11th hour and is anointed the starter that will be the first time I've lost some faith in this regime.

You don't give a JAG who has never won anything Brett Favre treatment.  So sick of this clown already..  just let him go.  This 5 month Waltz we have going on is an embarrassment.

Problem is I would like to see him here and would want him to compete for the job, just like you're saying, for the same reasons.  It's hard though after paying him 14 or so mil to have him lose to a guy making backup money.  

Tough spot for Macc

8 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Those who are getting trigger happy and want to tell Fitz to take a hike need to answer even if they are happy with Smith as the starter (really?) that the Jets will not have a suitable backup on the roster.

Michael Vick is looking for a job I'm sure theres some other out of work veteran available as well. 

Bottom line Fitzpatrick isn't worth the money he's demanding. 

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Michael Vick is looking for a job I'm sure theres some other out of work veteran available as well. 

Bottom line Fitzpatrick isn't worth the money he's demanding. 

You in effect are saying the only alternative is between WHAT YOU THINK  Fitz is "demanding" and what the Jets have offered.  There is such a thing as a compromise in the middle.

11 hours ago, Powpow said:

LOL what a bunch of dogsh*t.  Geno got clocked on Aug 11. Fitz, still healing from a broken leg, never having worked with anyone but Gailey, steps in as the starter and leads the team to 10 wins.  Oh but he didn't make the playoffs. And if we went to the SB and lost, it's would have been his fault too. And if the Jets would have won the SB, Fitz would have had no input.    It's like the saying goes 'you just can't win'. 

"LOL"? Did you laugh incredibly? Are you amazed? :rolleyes:

I'm surprised something as stupid as this drivel came from you. Differing opinions aside, you've never presented as an idiot. Huh...

So it sounds like you believe (densely) that coming into the middle of camp is "OK".. that it wouldn't make a difference to have him here for the entire offseason program? that getting acclimated, and working on improving on his mediocre year is a low priority? Did you forget that he was here the WHOLE offseason last year? That our schedule is dramatically more difficult? that he has a history of regression? That nobody should be taking any time off? Do you have any intelligent remarks besides LOL?

5 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

You in effect are saying the only alternative is between WHAT YOU THINK  Fitz is "demanding" and what the Jets have offered.  There is such a thing as a compromise in the middle.

IF Fitzpatrick wasn't demanding crazy money he isn't worth he would be in camp and we wouldn't be having this discussion

41 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Those who are getting trigger happy and want to tell Fitz to take a hike need to answer even if they are happy with Smith as the starter (really?) that the Jets will not have a suitable backup on the roster.

What if we're really not happy with either one, and Fitz doesn't seem like a $15M+ (really $18M+, since he's not getting cut after 1 year) upgrade?

Fitz is never gonna see these kinds of numbers this season or ever again. Bear him no ill will, want him and every player to make as much $ as they can given the physical cost they all go through, and the stupidity of salary caps. But this has become a case of you can always tell a Harvard man, but you can't tell him much. 

The Rams just announced the release of Foles which at the very least could be used as bargaining chip with Fitz although Foles is intriguing name to me a guy who still has some upside and seems to fit our scheme.  The downside is obviously a new QB learning a new system and meshing our WR's but as many have said Fitz barely played in training camp.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

IF Fitzpatrick wasn't demanding crazy money he isn't worth he would be in camp and we wouldn't be having this discussion

I guess you've been too busy repeating your Smith Fan party line to recognize that certainly a hangup is not the money itself but the pay cut in years two and three.  You seem to have missed that Fitz has asked for a one year deal at $12 mil.  Unless you think that is crazy money, and you are entitled to your warped opinion that it is, then it is not "demanding crazy money" that is holding up the deal.

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

I guess you've been too busy repeating your Smith Fan party line to recognize that certainly a hangup is not the money itself but the pay cut in years two and three.  You seem to have missed that Fitz has asked for a one year deal at $12 mil.  Unless you think that is crazy money, and you are entitled to your warped opinion that it is, then it is not "demanding crazy money" that is holding up the deal.

Hes not worth $12 million anyway you look at it so glad Macc agreed, time to sign Nick Foles and forget all about Ryan Fitzpatrick.

55 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What if we're really not happy with either one, and Fitz doesn't seem like a $15M+ (really $18M+, since he's not getting cut after 1 year) upgrade?

You also seem to have missed that Fitz asked for a one year deal at $12 mil.

The main point remains.  If Fitz is not signed, even if you like Smith as the starter, then who is the backup?

48 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

The Rams just announced the release of Foles which at the very least could be used as bargaining chip with Fitz although Foles is intriguing name to me a guy who still has some upside and seems to fit our scheme.  The downside is obviously a new QB learning a new system and meshing our WR's but as many have said Fitz barely played in training camp.

I have preferred Foles to Fitz all along.  Interesting to see if the FO shows any interest.  At a minimum they should show interest.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hes not worth $12 million anyway you look at it so glad Macc agreed, time to sign Nick Foles and forget all about Ryan Fitzpatrick.

You are hopeless.  The deal the Jets offered called for a 3 year deal with the first at $12 mil, so Macc DISAGREES that it is too much money.

I waste my time responding to your posts.  have a nice day.

You are hopeless.  The deal the Jets offered called for a 3 year deal with the first at $12 mil, so Macc DISAGREES that it is too much money.

I waste my time responding to your posts.  have a nice day.

And again he ISNT WOTH $12 MILLION IF ITS FOR 10 YEARS 

I don't know much of this business yet, but I have a pretty decent guess what is going on here.

The Jets FO has somewhere drawn a line in the sand, that line is 30 yards away. If the FO can't find any evidence of Fitz ever throwing a completion of 30+ yards they won't make a better offer for Fitz unless he comes in and prove in person he can even throw a football 30 yards.

Meanwhile Fitz is reluctant to do so for obvious reasons, hence the stalemate. 

21 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

I don't know much of this business yet, but I have a pretty decent guess what is going on here.

The Jets FO has somewhere drawn a line in the sand, that line is 30 yards away. If the FO can't find any evidence of Fitz ever throwing a completion of 30+ yards they won't make a better offer for Fitz unless he comes in and prove in person he can even throw a football 30 yards.

Meanwhile Fitz is reluctant to do so for obvious reasons, hence the stalemate. 

Sweden ... Inspiring comedy to the level of Carrot-top

13 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

You also seem to have missed that Fitz asked for a one year deal at $12 mil.

The main point remains.  If Fitz is not signed, even if you like Smith as the starter, then who is the backup?

I didn't miss that "compromise" at all. I wouldn't pay it. You pay that amount or more for a veteran who gives the team some actual hope for a SB (or at a minimum, some playoff noise) with him behind center. Otherwise you go with a ≤$6M man to hold the fort, or give a youngster a try now.

The #2 QB is hardly a cause for concern if Geno Smith is the starter. They're not winning a SB with a #1 of Smith or Fitz, and highly unlikely any backups not good enough to unseat either one. Let one of the kids (this year likely only Petty) play if Smith only lasts a month or two. At least find out if Petty is an adequate backup or if we're holding his roster spot for no reason. See how he reacts and plays while not wearing a red jersey. If he literally cannot take a single snap from center there are always warm but crappy bodies available to trot out there. 

Treading water with Fitz on a 1 year contract at a ridiculous $12M is a waste. The best case scenario is a slightly lower draft pick but still no playoffs (and certainly no noise in the playoffs). His value is as a stopgap who then transfers into a mentor role, not as a weak starter vs our formidable schedule for 1 year, followed by nothing. It may be a better PR move for Maccagnan in the short term, but it doesn't help the team reach its ultimate goal.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I didn't miss that "compromise" at all. I wouldn't pay it. You pay that amount or more for a veteran who gives the team some actual hope for a SB (or at a minimum, some playoff noise) with him behind center. Otherwise you go with a ≤$6M man to hold the fort, or give a youngster a try now.

The #2 QB is hardly a cause for concern if Geno Smith is the starter. They're not winning a SB with a #1 of Smith or Fitz, and highly unlikely any backups not good enough to unseat either one. Let one of the kids (this year likely only Petty) play if Smith only lasts a month or two. At least find out if Petty is an adequate backup or if we're holding his roster spot for no reason. See how he reacts and plays while not wearing a red jersey. If he literally cannot take a single snap from center there are always warm but crappy bodies available to trot out there. 

Treading water with Fitz on a 1 year contract at a ridiculous $12M is a waste. The best case scenario is a slightly lower draft pick but still no playoffs (and certainly no noise in the playoffs). His value is as a stopgap who then transfers into a mentor role, not as a weak starter vs our formidable schedule for 1 year, followed by nothing. It may be a better PR move for Maccagnan in the short term, but it doesn't help the team reach its ultimate goal.

Your whole pov on this is driven by the conclusion that the Jets have no chance to compete this year.  I disagree.

Well yeah if Smith is the starter they don't, but that's not what I mean.

You seem impervious to contrary arguments on the team's chances, so I am not going to bother with a counter.  Except that not all Jet fans have given up on the season.

Just now, Big Blocker said:

Your whole pov on this is driven by the conclusion that the Jets have no chance to compete this year.  I disagree.

You seem impervious to contrary arguments on the team's chances, so I am not going to bother with a counter.  Except that not all Jet fans have given up on the season.

The Jets are built to win we have all pieces whether its Geno Smith or Nick Foles we will compete,sleeper team in the AFC 2016

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

So let him prove it on the field. 

The Jets believe he's already done that.  That's why he was named the starter, and that's why they're being so patient with him.

16 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Sure we have a very good team and definitely can compete. You can win with a good defense and an efficient offense that doesn't make many mistakes, can move the ball and keeps the defense off the field. You don't need a franchise Qb to win but you need a Qb who knows how to intelligently run the O. A good game manager can do well and Fitz is a lot better than that. 

48 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agreed...sign Foles, cut Geno...ready to roll.

7 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

He was signed and involved with the team throughout the entire offseason. And while he wasn't playing in pre season games he was getting practice reps and establishing timing and feeling for his receivers. This season he hasn't spent one day with the team .

He's a seasoned vet. He doesn't need it. He knows Gailey's of fence like the back of his hand.  He has 2 veteran wr's in Deck n Marsh.  He can come in mud August and would be like he didn't miss a beat.  So what's the panic. You want to panic? Think of Geno being the starter for the first 8 weeks of the regular season. I hope you have health insurance.

That is true. I think the Jets have no realistic chance to compete for the SB this year with Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB.

Emotionally having not "given up" on this upcoming season, with Fitzpatrick, doesn't therefore make it realistic. It makes it a decision based upon emotion. The guy has a Geno-esque record against good defenses or winning teams in general (those that aren't riddled with starter injuries), and we play a slew of them this year. Your personal feelings are at least equally impervious to being faced with historical evidence, shrugging it off as though he's suddenly going to become a better QB than he's ever been, now that the easiest schedule of his remarkably easy-schedule career is in the past.

Frankly, if the Jets truly felt he made them realistic winners, they wouldn't have been dicking around with this all spring/summer either. Fear not. I still think he signs and starts week 1.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

"LOL"? Did you laugh incredibly? Are you amazed? :rolleyes:

I'm surprised something as stupid as this drivel came from you. Differing opinions aside, you've never presented as an idiot. Huh...

So it sounds like you believe (densely) that coming into the middle of camp is "OK".. that it wouldn't make a difference to have him here for the entire offseason program? that getting acclimated, and working on improving on his mediocre year is a low priority? Did you forget that he was here the WHOLE offseason last year? That our schedule is dramatically more difficult? that he has a history of regression? That nobody should be taking any time off? Do you have any intelligent remarks besides LOL?

LOL

Archived