Anyone else scared of our CB situation?

InstantClassic

I know our defense gets lots of hype here but I'm a bit concerned that the back end of our defense will be a liability. Save for Pryor who was great last year.

Revis is aging. That's not to say he won't be solid but he's not really Revis of old. 

I thiught Skrine was a perfect fit for the slot but honestly can this guy be a #2 corner? I know we are strapped for cash but I feel this should've been addressed in the offseason. 

How do you feel about Skrine as the 2?

1 minute ago, InstantClassic said:

I know our defense gets lots of hype here but I'm a bit concerned that the back end of our defense will be a liability. Save for Pryor who was great last year.

Revis is aging. That's not to say he won't be solid but he's not really Revis of old. 

I thiught Skrine was a perfect fit for the slot but honestly can this guy be a #2 corner? I know we are strapped for cash but I feel this should've been addressed in the offseason. 

There is more uncertainty at LB than DB 

like what we've seen so far from Mauldin & the kids ... But our backend is still above average

4 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

Skrine was the no. 2 in Cleveleand with Joe Hayden at the no. 1.  I have no doubt that the Jets gave Skrine such a big contract to play the slot, knowing at some point he would at least get a look to play on the outside at some point.

Skrine wasn't phenomenal with the Browns at CB, but he was solid, which is better than some no. 2 CB's.

Williams and Milliner could also see some time out there.

Imo Jet fans got spoiled by Revis's play before he went to TB.  He's still one of the best CB's in the bizz.  Yeah he looked hurt in the last game, and had some off moments here and there.  But he was not the problem.  Cro's first half injuries were a real problem, but for better or worse he's gone.

At safety Pryor and Gilchrist are an above average tandem, but bench strength is imo questionable.

And Skrine also had some bad moments last year, but imo is a solid, and flexible, player.

That leaves for me as the real question marks Williams and Milliner.  Putting aside Milliner's fragility, which does make him difficult to depend on, I remain concerned about Williams, more than I take it most Jet fans are.  Imo he has yet to show he can be dependable in man coverage.

The Jets preferred playing Skrine as the nickel.  Will that remain the case this year?  Maybe they end up only using Williams in nickel/zone packages, and he won't be exposed playing with his back to the offense.  Or he can prove that he can play man. 

It's a concern, but odds are the Jets will find enough on the cb roster to field an above average group there.  But there are concerns.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Skrine was the no. 2 in Cleveleand with Joe Hayden at the no. 1.  I have no doubt that the Jets gave Skrine such a big contract to play the slot, knowing at some point he would at least get a look to play on the outside at some point.

Skrine wasn't phenomenal with the Browns at CB, but he was solid, which is better than some no. 2 CB's.

Williams and Milliner could also see some time out there.

Honestly forgot about Miliner. Hopefully he can be healthy and see the field this year to see what we've got.

17 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

If the LBer position has truly been improved, then improved pass-rush, combined with improved LB coverage = improved pass defense. With, or without, Cromartie.

I'm not worried. But, I'm in the minority that understands the new rules of the game basically prohibit coverage as a means of stopping the pass, so looking to your front-7 to destroy an opponents passing game seems like the right thing to do. We've got the horses for that, on paper.

I seen enough of Marcus Williams to have faith in him. I disagree with who ever said we don't have depth at safety. I like the guy we added from Seattle last season...Bailey was his name? I also like that new kid Middleton. We still have Rontez Miles too. I have a concern at corner depth though. Seems like all we have after our 3rd string is McDougle and Milliner.

26 minutes ago, InstantClassic said:

I feel good about our coverage skills being better than last year.  That goes for our defense as a whole.  Leave it to Bowles to figure out which personel and schemes to use.  I think he has better talent on that side of the ball as compared to last year so I think we will be improved.

Nope.  Revis is still good, not 2nd highest paid in the league good but he's still good.  I never liked the Skrine signing from day one but Milliner sounds like he may finally do something if he doesn't stub his toe, Williams is underrated and I liked the Cb we picked in the draft this year.  (Burris)

If the front 7 gets semi-consistent pressure we will be fine.

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If the LBer position has truly been improved, then improved pass-rush, combined with improved LB coverage = improved pass defense. With, or without, Cromartie.

I'm not worried. But, I'm in the minority that understands the new rules of the game basically prohibit coverage as a means of stopping the pass, so looking to your front-7 to destroy an opponents passing game seems like the right thing to do. We've got the horses for that, on paper.

Definitely agree.  These days you just need your secondary to be able to hold their own to the point that they're not immediately getting beaten straight off the line.  A quality (and perhaps more importantly, consistent) pass rush is what the real big difference maker is.  In the end, Pryor and Gilchrist have more than enough talent to hold their own, Revis while not what he once was is still great, and as far as Skrine goes, he can handle the #2 role well enough, and will slide inside in the nickel, with plenty of options available to step into that outside spot.  It may not be the greatest secondary, but if the remodeled front 7 can step it up, they'll be fine.

1 hour ago, jbt said:

between Williams, Milliner and Skrine i think we will be fine at #2 and slot

We have no depth.  Milliner is always hurt and Skrine is really a slot corner.

Which is why we should resign Cro to a 1 year deal at cheap money.

53 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I seen enough of Marcus Williams to have faith in him. I disagree with who ever said we don't have depth at safety. I like the guy we added from Seattle last season...Bailey was his name? I also like that new kid Middleton. We still have Rontez Miles too. I have a concern at corner depth though. Seems like all we have after our 3rd string is McDougle and Milliner.

Williams is fine as the #2 CB but I'm just worried about depth.

53 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Our secondary is going to be better this year. We've cut one of the worst performing CBs in football in Cro. Revis is still a top 3 CB. Williams has shown he can play. Skrine is solid. Mac drafted Burris in the 4th round. And anything we get out of Milliner or McDougle will be a bonus.

At safety, Pryor took a big step forward last year. Another camp in the system and along side Gilcrest is only going to make that back two better. 

Then consider the improved speed at LB and the increased QB pressure this team should be getting - which will make the back half of the defense's job that much easier. 

7 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Only worry is the wasted money on Revis.

We have a lot of depth, Revis, skrine, milliner, Williams, mcdougal, Burris

Every team has the same issues at CB, and I think we're in a better position than most.

Money wasted on Revis?  Yeah it was so much fun watching the Kyle Wilsons and Phillip Adamses try to cover superstar wide receivers.

I have very little concern about the defense in general. The secondary should be more than fine barring injuries. 

Revis was hurt last year (although that's no excuse if you are going to play), and he will most likely have a bounce back year after a very good year. You can't go wrong with that. His skill set will allow him to be very good for a very long time, even as his 'loses a step'. That's just the way he plays the position, he doesn't really rely on speed or athleticism as much as awareness, experience and technique. 

Skrine will probably end up staying in the slot for the most part. That's just my opinion. I think Milliner will continue to impress in camp and pre-season and end up earning that #2 spot. Milliner is a prototypical outside CB, with good length, speed and athleticism. This is why he was drafted so high. Injuries have hampered him, but when he is healthy and he is on, he can really be dominant. Conversely, due to his knack as a blitzer and fit against smaller, quicker slot WRs, Skrine is a good fit in the slot and will stay there for the most part. 

Williams will vie for the #2 spot (and he may earn it instead of Milliner). But I think he will end up as depth- a role he was very productive in last year. 

That's 4 CBs that are/should be legit starters. Then you have McDougle, who has yet to prove himself due to injuries, but is a very promising young player. You have the rookie Burris drafted in the 4th. Special team contributor Morris. And a bunch of other CBs trying to get that last 6th spot on the roster. The CB depth is great, I have zero concerns barring a plague of injuries or losing Revis for the season. 

As far as safety- the Jets have set starters in Gilchrist and Pryor. Pryor looks to be a rising star to me. Gilchrist was solid.  And between Martin, Bailey and Miles, the depth is good too. 

The Secondary should be very good for the Jets this year. 

The LB corps should be fine as well. The have gotten younger, faster and focused on bringing in guys that have better coverage skills. My only concerns with the LB corps will be- #1. Will the youth develop fast enough to contribute this year. and #2. Can they generate a much needed pass rush? They are set up to do that, but until we see it, we wont really know. 

The D-line should be dominant. Some have concerns about losing Snacks, but I think adding Jenkins and McLendon, with Sheldon, L.Willimas, and Mo. There's plenty of depth and star-power. I don't know how teams will be able to run on that line- it's monstrous. If the Jets aren't #1 vs the run, they will be top 3.      

We have a lot of "unproven" guys ( milliner, mcdougle, williams) in the backfield but its time for the front line of the defense ( where we have invested all of our resources for years now) to aid the backfield and start getting consistent pressure. Everyone is looking for this to come from Maulding and Lee but I am expecting Williams to make that jump and be the player we need to always be closing the pocket. If the big boys up front take care of business, our guys in the back will look better and better week in and week out.

Also people seem to forget that Pryor is really starting to shine and with this being his 3rd year, 2nd in the same system, he will be a monster for us back there with gilchrist doing a decent job to mop up the mess.

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I have very little concern about the defense in general. The secondary should be more than fine barring injuries. 

Revis was hurt last year (although that's no excuse if you are going to play), and he will most likely have a bounce back year after a very good year. You can't go wrong with that. His skill set will allow him to be very good for a very long time, even as his 'loses a step'. That's just the way he plays the position, he doesn't really rely on speed or athleticism as much as awareness, experience and technique. 

Skrine will probably end up staying in the slot for the most part. That's just my opinion. I think Milliner will continue to impress in camp and pre-season and end up earning that #2 spot. Milliner is a prototypical outside CB, with good length, speed and athleticism. This is why he was drafted so high. Injuries have hampered him, but when he is healthy and he is on, he can really be dominant. Conversely, due to his knack as a blitzer and fit against smaller, quicker slot WRs, Skrine is a good fit in the slot and will stay there for the most part. 

Williams will vie for the #2 spot (and he may earn it instead of Milliner). But I think he will end up as depth- a role he was very productive in last year. 

That's 4 CBs that are/should be legit starters. Then you have McDougle, who has yet to prove himself due to injuries, but is a very promising young player. You have the rookie Burris drafted in the 4th. Special team contributor Morris. And a bunch of other CBs trying to get that last 6th spot on the roster. The CB depth is great, I have zero concerns barring a plague of injuries or losing Revis for the season. 

As far as safety- the Jets have set starters in Gilchrist and Pryor. Pryor looks to be a rising star to me. Gilchrist was solid.  And between Martin, Bailey and Miles, the depth is good too. 

The Secondary should be very good for the Jets this year. 

The LB corps should be fine as well. The have gotten younger, faster and focused on bringing in guys that have better coverage skills. My only concerns with the LB corps will be- #1. Will the youth develop fast enough to contribute this year. and #2. Can they generate a much needed pass rush? They are set up to do that, but until we see it, we wont really know. 

The D-line should be dominant. Some have concerns about losing Snacks, but I think adding Jenkins and McLendon, with Sheldon, L.Willimas, and Mo. There's plenty of depth and star-power. I don't know how teams will be able to run on that line- it's monstrous. If the Jets aren't #1 vs the run, they will be top 3.      

Darth Mauldin had great pass rushing stats in limited action. If he can only do half as well in a full time role he'll be a up and coming star. Williams is in the same boat if he can do half as well in a full time role. I hope Miliner can stay healthy but it's a remote possibility at this point. That would be a bonus. 

I think people are sorely underrating our defense this year. We are going to be dominant in year two under Bowles with a healthy Revis, and no Cro, Demario, or Pace. I don't care how tough our schedule is. Teams are going to be wary of us on their schedule. 

6 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

We have a lot of "unproven" guys ( milliner, mcdougle, williams) in the backfield but its time for the front line of the defense ( where we have invested all of our resources for years now) to aid the backfield and start getting consistent pressure. Everyone is looking for this to come from Maulding and Lee but I am expecting Williams to make that jump and be the player we need to always be closing the pocket. If the big boys up front take care of business, our guys in the back will look better and better week in and week out.

Also people seem to forget that Pryor is really starting to shine and with this being his 3rd year, 2nd in the same system, he will be a monster for us back there with gilchrist doing a decent job to mop up the mess.

Yes. LAst year they tried Sheldon standing up and said they would not do that again. Williamson is the guy that should be able to succeed in that roll. He has the talent to become the next JJ Watt if he wants it bad enough. We could move him all over the line. He did have much better pass rushing numbers than Richardson, or Wilk had in their 1st years.  

I think Revis will have a "bounceback" year of sorts, so there's that for starters.  He still won't be quite worthy of the bloated contract, but who cares.  Our cap situation is set to improve drastically over the course of the next few years.  Having a true elite CB1 locked in at one spot is always a good thing in this league.

And if Revis performs well, I'm not all that worred about our CB2 and slot CB situation, as Gilchrist will be able to provide support.  Even so, you can do a lot worse than Marcus Williams on the outside and Skrine in the slot.  With CB problems going on league-wide, those are average guys. 

I like that the front office didn't rest on it's laurels all the same.  Juston Burris has the look of an underrated pick.  I doubt he makes a big impact as a rookie, at least not early on in the season, but he'll be interesting to watch. 

I'm still waiting for @The Crusher's long awaited McDougle ascension to occur.  Until there's proof that he sucks I refuse to believe it.  Milliner, however, I'm nearly prepared to give up on as a bust.  Some guys just have no ability to stay healthy whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

Williams is fine as the #2 CB but I'm just worried about depth.

That's the thing. I think people are underestimating Milliner. Yes, he looked like a deer in headlights as a rookie. And he has constantly been hurt. But this season he is healthy and looking good in practice and leading up to camp. If he has a solid camp and pre-season, he could very well take the #2 CB spot across from Revis. He is a prototypical outside CB- top 10 draft pick. If that happens, which I think it very well could, our depth looks great, we have M.Williams, who had a breakout season last year as the #4 CB (assuming Skrine is in the slot and moved around to outside if nec.). Then there is McDougle, who is a promising young player that has yet to show what he can do due to injuries. And a rookie in Burris, who we really don't know much about yet, other than Mac felt strong enough about his talent to spend a 4th round pick on him. And everyone else fighting for that last 6th spot.  

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think Revis will have a "bounceback" year of sorts, so there's that for starters.  He still won't be quite worthy of the bloated contract, but who cares.  Our cap situation is set to improve drastically over the course of the next few years.  Having a true elite CB1 locked in at one spot is always a good thing in this league.

And if Revis performs well, I'm not all that worred about our CB2 and slot CB situation, as Gilchrist will be able to provide support.  Even so, you can do a lot worse than Marcus Williams on the outside and Skrine in the slot.  With CB problems going on league-wide, those are average guys. 

I like that the front office didn't rest on it's laurels all the same.  Juston Burris has the look of an underrated pick.  I doubt he makes a big impact as a rookie, at least not early on in the season, but he'll be interesting to watch. 

I'm still waiting for @The Crusher's long awaited McDougle ascension to occur.  Until there's proof that he sucks I refuse to believe it.  Milliner, however, I'm nearly prepared to give up on as a bust.  Some guys just have no ability to stay healthy whatsoever. 

Im trying to use the reverse psychology.

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

We have no depth.  Milliner is always hurt and Skrine is really a slot corner.

Which is why we should resign Cro to a 1 year deal at cheap money.

Cro may retire due to bad hips. 

That said, the CB position after Revis leaves much to be desired. Skrine is bad, Williams is unknown, Milliner can't stay healthy, McDougle is a forgotten man, and Burris is a rookie. I don't trust any CB outside of Revis. 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived