Jets signed No. 20 overall pick ILB Darron Lee to a four-year contract (MERGED)

jbt

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So we drafted a sub package 2 down player 20th overall?  Seems smart.  ;)

This a fair statement on the surface, but when you look at Deone Buccannon's snap counts in Zona wehn Bowles was there, I think that's a better way of looking at it.

I don't know his snap count %, but I'd be interested in seeing it, because that's likely the % Lee will see this season.

Lol, he's like an inch shorter and about 10 pounds lighter than Luke Kuechly when he was drafted.  Now, I'm not saying he's going to become quite possibly the best LB in the league, but dismissing him for size is not warranted as of now.   

All these years, we scream for speed as RBs and slot WRs run past our defense, so when we draft speed, why scream for size?  Guys who have great size, speed, and production go top 5 in the draft.   

Lee adds speed to the defense, and especially closing speed.  He can cover RBs and slot WRs, which comes in especially handy when the defense can handover an offensive player to Lee's side verbally, instead of giving away the whole defensive scheme.  The team needs speed on the defense in the worst way, and they addressed it.  

I'm happy he has signed.  

3 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Lol, he's like an inch shorter and about 10 pounds lighter than Luke Kuechly when he was drafted.  Now, I'm not saying he's going to become quite possibly the best LB in the league, but dismissing him for size is not warranted as of now.   

All these years, we scream for speed as RBs and slot WRs run past our defense, so when we draft speed, why scream for size?  Guys who have great size, speed, and production go top 5 in the draft.   

Lee adds speed to the defense, and especially closing speed.  He can cover RBs and slot WRs, which comes in especially handy when the defense can handover an offensive player to Lee's side verbally, instead of giving away the whole defensive scheme.  The team needs speed on the defense in the worst way, and they addressed it.  

I'm happy he has signed.  

The bolded part remains to be seen.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The bolded part remains to be seen.

It's a long scouting report on him when the draft went down (I think it was featured on the gang green blog afterwards) but essentially Lee is a converted safety and cornerback, and the scouting report praises him for his ability to cover passing plays.

"

Pass Defense…Considering that Lee worked mostly in the secondary as a safety and cornerback during his high school days, he has continued to have very good success handling pass coverage assignments, as he not only has defended and intercepted passes, he has also held opposing quarterbacks to just an 18.0 pass completion percentage vs. him, rerouting 28 receivers away from 88 targeted tosses while causing one fumble and one drop in assignments that saw just nine passes completed vs. him as a freshman and five more as a sophomore. He gets good depth in his pass drops and shows the range to close on the ball in a hurry. He has more than enough speed to run with the blazing receivers through their routes and the flexibility to mirror his opponent going deep.

Lee has the agility to open his hips and take no wasted steps in transition. He shows keen field vision and is consistent in keeping his head on a swivel. He has the leaping ability and timing, along with the hands to go for the ball in flight and pluck it outside his frame. His short area quickness allows him to shadow the tight ends and running backs on underneath routes. Lee also shows much greater discipline in his pass drops than most prospective linebackers eligible for the 2016 draft and continues to show that he is very capable in getting square to the ball and reacting when dropping off in the zone. Lee has the ability to drop off deep in the zone due to his hip swerve. He has the quickness to run with backs, tight ends and slot receivers in the short area and shows good vision, quickness and ball anticipation to be right in the receiver’s face in attempts to reroute (see 2015 Hawaii, Indiana and Minnesota games). He uses his hands with force in press situations and shows the hip swerve to operate in trail coverage. He takes no wasted steps in transition and is quick to turn coming out of his backpedal. He flips his hips properly and plays at a good pad level. He shows no stiffness in his turns and this allows him to drop off quickly. He gets very good depth in his pass drops and keeps his head on a swivel to locate the ball in flight. In man coverage, Lee has the quickness of a safety. He can turn and run with most tight ends and running backs. He looks natural maintaining position on the receiver when working underneath. His quick feet allow him to shadow even the speedier receivers on deep routes, doing a nice job of opening his hips to turn and run. He can really drop back in zone coverage due to his loose hips and upper body flexibility, also possessing the natural hands to come up with the ball when attacking it in flight (see 2015 Northern Illinois game)."

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Anyone who looks at D.Lee and dismisses him as a legit NFL play-maker due to his size needs to put on their dunce hat, go sit in the corner and think about what they've done. 

You have to understand that there are a lot of negative nancy's on here.

Just now, Ken Shroy said:

As well as a lot of every new player is great and every draft pick is gold types as well.

The size issues is not a kick at the guy perhaps being able to cover and or blitz it is a possible issue in the run game and that fact that he will have to make a lot of big plays if he is indeed going to be a sub package player.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As well as a lot of every new player is great and every draft pick is gold types as well.

The size issues is not a kick at the guy perhaps being able to cover and or blitz it is a possible issue in the run game and that fact that he will have to make a lot of big plays if he is indeed going to be a sub package player.

Fair enough. But #1 he is intended to START off a a sub-package player in his rookie year. He wasn't drafted to be a sub-package player. #2 as many have been repeating ad nauseam, he is no smaller than a number of great starting NFL ILBs and has plenty of time to bulk up and get stronger, if needed. His size should really be a non-issue vs the pass or the run. Is he a thumper like D.Harris or D.Hightower? No. But that doesn't nec. make him a liability vs. the run either.    

50 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Anyone who looks at D.Lee and dismisses him as a legit NFL play-maker due to his size needs to put on their dunce hat, go sit in the corner and think about what they've done. 

YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT ON THAT ONE.

Any idiot from a state w/a license plate declaring itself "VACATIONLAND" doesn't know SQUAT about NFL LBs if he judges merely on  the "measurables" of a football player. 

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

So we drafted a sub package 2 down player 20th overall?  Seems smart.  ;)

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

You mean the midget dwarf troll Lber who'll get eaten alive in the NFL :lol:

CLEARLY by making this statement, you don't know much about football. Mehl, my bad on quoting you, I now see you're being sarcastic. 

This BEAST proved that it aint' the size of the dog, it's the BITE that rabid MFer unleashes on opposing offenses:

May he R.I.P. all 5'9" 232 lbs. of him. 

Hall_of_Fame_Game_Jaguars_Panthers_Sam_M

Career highlights and awards

4 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT ON THAT ONE.

Any idiot from a state w/a license plate declaring itself "VACATIONLAND" doesn't know SQUAT about NFL LBs if he judges merely on  the "measurables" of a football player. 

CLEARLY by making this statement, you don't know much about football

This BEAST proved that it aint' the size of the dog, it's the BITE that rabid MFer unleashes on opposing offenses:

May he R.I.P. all 5'9" 232 lbs. of him. 

Hall_of_Fame_Game_Jaguars_Panthers_Sam_M

I was joking recalling MaineJet's description of Lee when drafted - hence the smiley !!!

Well if he didn't sign in training camp for that extra year guaranteed then we might have pretty much lost some of the effectiveness we were expecting from him during the regular season. In other words cutting our noses to spite our face. He should have a role in our defense this year because we needed speed in that position. 

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

I was joking recalling MaineJet's description of Lee when drafted - hence the smiley !!!

my bad then, misread the context. Just add this as fuel to his pyre. :) 

Sam Mills should be MORE THAN ENOUGH ammo to shut him up. :) 

Jets off the hook for if Lee is cut for non-football reasons. 

Via cimini. 

Darron Lee's 4-yr, $10.2 M deal fully gtd, but includes default language that allows #Jets to recoup some of gtd $ if cut for non-fbl reason

5 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

All of whom have worked as a personnel man at one time from their parents basement.  They are uniquely qualified to tell everyone who will bust or not based on their antiquated ideas of what a LB is.  

10 hours ago, PepPep said:

The dude hasn't even played one down yet. Anointing him a GOD play maker already is comical. Let's make a friendly bet among us Jets fans. Who thinks he will a stud or a dud? I say Dud with a capital D.

1 hour ago, Harlemnite1 said:

The dude hasn't even played one down yet. Anointing him a GOD play maker already is comical. Let's make a friendly bet among us Jets fans. Who thinks he will a stud or a dud? I say Dud with a capital D.

I'll bet he doesn't Dud with a capitol D? How much you putting down? 

I have no prediction about how good Lee will be, but it sounds like the Jets agreed to a fair deal between what the 19th and 21st picks got.  Good.  No reason to not have your first round pick in camp. 

Imo the linebackers have the potential to be a significant upgrade over last year.  Mauldin should be even better, and the disappointment that was D Davis is now gone.  This will be an interesting unit to watch as camp and pre-season proceeds.

Archived