Fitzpatrick signed- 1 year 12 mill fully guaranteed

Matt39

Disappointed once again as a lifelong Jets fan the organization that never fails to screw things up but as a real fan I will support Ryan Fitzpatrick as I do any player in a Jets uniform. 

Congratulations to FitzNation you guys got your wish. 

Good luck to Ryan Fitzpatrick and hopefully he can prove all the doubters wrong. 

Time will tell how all this works out. 

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, johnnysd said:

First major mistake by Mac. Completely idiotic and self destructive to the future I f this franchise. What idiots. But Bowles got his guy.

This literally hurts the future 0.  In fact, it's the best possible deal they could have made with the future in mind.

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

That's assuming petty or Hackenberg are ready by then. They seem pretty intent on not rushing their young QB's before they are ready to play, and as a jets fan you should understand why

Agreed.  Hack seems to be a near-guarantee to be getting himself a red shirt year.  Petty on the other hand seems to have gotten less love than anyone from the team to this point, so unless he really changes some opinions in camp and preseason, they'll hardly be in a rush to get him out there either.  If anything, the main thing Geno has in his favor is he's the one the current staff would be least worried about "ruining".

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Well, hopefully we can get Mike Glennon next year during free agency. 

that's the beauty of the 1 year deal with TEAM based incentives

this is a win win win win contract

11 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Can't wait to see what happens if Geno beats Fitz in camp for starting position. Will there be pressure to start Fitz because of the contract, or will the best man get the job?

No competition in camp.  smith gets no reps with 1's.  Fitz is the starter.

Clearly Macc doesn't want smith starting

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

No it shows desperation that deal should have been off the table weeks ago. Macc caved in to a mediocre QB doesn't say much for Macc. 

Caved would have been giving Fitz a multi year deal. Giving Fitz 12 million a year is a no brainer. Geno will still have the chance to outshine Fitz. Fitz is also a solid mentor for Petty/hack. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Caved would have been giving Fitz a multi year deal. Giving Fitz 12 million a year is a no brainer. Geno will still have the chance to outshine Fitz. Fitz is also a solid mentor for Petty/hack. 

Fitzpatrick isn't worth $12 million no other team in the NFL offered anything but our beloved NY Jets sad actually

Bottom Line it was the Jets holding up this deal for 6 mil in years 2 and 3. Fitz wanted the one year deal for 12 mil or a better 3 year deal and the Jets were trying to get Fitz on the cheap for 2 more years.

If Fitz goes out and has another good year or even better with a playoff berth this could cost us even more than if we offered Fitz 3 for 10 or 3 for 12. Either way I think Fitz window is probably 3 years anyway since we do have young QB waiting to step in when they are ready.

37 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I'm happy because:

1. He's the best QB on the roster and gives us the best chance to win.

2. This is AWESOME for the development of Hackenberg (and Petty). The entire offense raves about Fitz's preparation and football IQ, (besides the contract stuff) the perfect  role model to model yourself after as a young QB. 

So this is great in the short-term, and great for the long-term. We are not tied to a 34-year-old noodle arm, he is motivated as he is in another contract year, and we can re-sign him next year because nobody else will want to probably, or let him go and let the knowledge he plants this year germinate.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Time to get to work

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Fitzpatrick isn't worth $12 million no other team in the NFL offered anything but our beloved NY Jets sad actually

He is the 23rd highest paid starting QB, right behind Dalton and in front of RG3.  Its actually right where he should be valued personally.  I just hope he stays healthy and proves me wrong against stronger defenses and most importantly, can he win a damn game against AFCE opponent Buffalo Bills.

16 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Wrong. Not with this schedule

Agreed. I want the Jets to lose, too. It makes watching the games eminently more enjoyable when I get the outcome I desire.

God, I've missed you. I've been away from these forums too long.

Archived