Fitzpatrick signed- 1 year 12 mill fully guaranteed

Matt39

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Washingtonpost.com

By Glenn Naughton

It took a lot longer than all parties involved would have liked, but the New York Jets now have their starting quarterback under contract for the 2016 season according to NFL insider Adam Schefter.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, who was under center for all ten of Gang Green’s victories last season while throwing a team-record 31 touchdowns, has finally agreed to terms with the team after an off-season of rumors, speculation, guessing and hoping.

With training camp set to kick off tomorrow, the team clearly had a renewed sense of urgency and handed the veteran a 1-year $12 million contract.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
l4YMWYABcGs

Click here to read the full story...

I'm happy because:

1. He's the best QB on the roster and gives us the best chance to win.

2. This is AWESOME for the development of Hackenberg (and Petty). The entire offense raves about Fitz's preparation and football IQ, (besides the contract stuff) the perfect  role model to model yourself after as a young QB. 

So this is great in the short-term, and great for the long-term. We are not tied to a 34-year-old noodle arm, he is motivated as he is in another contract year, and we can re-sign him next year because nobody else will want to probably, or let him go and let the knowledge he plants this year germinate.

Wonder what the corresponding moves are but Mo's deal basically made this possible. We shall see but not on the hook for anything next season is big. Especially if Petty or Hack make strides. I have a feeling they'll be doing the same dance next offseason, but time to focus on 2016. 

So much for the BS that we couldn't do this because of cap space problems. It's a fair deal for both sides. Now during the regular season don't despair. You can still data mine for negatives about Fitz and find excuses for winning. If that's what rings your chimes. You know how like our opponents had injuries. Of course our injuries don't count. 

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I'm happy because:

1. He's the best QB on the roster and gives us the best chance to win.

2. This is AWESOME for the development of Hackenberg (and Petty). The entire offense raves about Fitz's preparation and football IQ, (besides the contract stuff) the perfect  role model to model yourself after as a young QB. 

So this is great in the short-term, and great for the long-term. We are not tied to a 34-year-old noodle arm, he is motivated as he is in another contract year, and we can re-sign him next year because nobody else will want to probably, or let him go and let the knowledge he plants this year germinate.

Neither of these points have ever played out in real life.

Whether it was Geno or Fitz I didn't mind, I personally think they will end up around the same record with either QB, but I will say this: I never rooted so hard for a Jet QB in my life like I did last year for Fitz. He puts it all on the line every Sunday even with his limitations. He's a great guy to root for and I'm sure an even better guy to play for and I'm happy to have him back to root for again. 

Archived