One Fan's Open Letter (A Brief One) to Ryan Fitzpatrick

Warfish

Ryan, 

You just got paid, congratulations.  Enjoy your moment.  You earned it in 2015.

But this is 2016 now, and now you have to prove to us all you're worth it.

Failure is not an option.  Regression is not an option.  The schedule is not an excuse.  Injuries will not be an excuse.  There cannot be a three-INT game in Buffalo in the final week again.  

Period.

You need to produce, and you need to win.  We'll root you on, but YOU need to prove to us all, supporters and doubters, that you are worth this deal, worth the starting QB job, and worth being the leader of our Franchise.

Don't let us down Fitzy.

Because we WILL let you hear it if you do.

-Fish

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Ryan, 

Failure is not an option.  Regression is not an option.  The schedule is not an excuse.  Injuries will not be an excuse.  There cannot be a three-INT game in Buffalo in the final week again.  

Period.

You need to produce, and you need to win.  We'll root you on, but YOU need to prove to us all, supporters and doubters, that you are worth this deal, worth the starting QB job, and worth being the leader of our Franchise.

Don't let us down Fitzy.

-Fish

I get where you're coming from, but is it a great deal of pressure to say "You have to prove that you deserve to be the 24th highest paid starting QB in the NFL"?  Or was it 22nd?  Either way...

I hope he does better than that...LOL

2 hours ago, ljr said:

He was far and away our best hope for 2016 ... Good letter thoug ... Being the team leader means carrying that burden on your shoulders

No, no he was most definitely not. He sets the franchise back at least another year.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Today we went from a 4 win team to a 7 win team. 

While I am glad we have our best quarterback option under contract, I'm not exactly doing cartwheels.

SAR I

No we went from a 7 or 8 win team to a 3-6 win team.Signing Fitz is a disaster.

6 hours ago, AFJF said:

I get where you're coming from, but is it a great deal of pressure to say "You have to prove that you deserve to be the 24th highest paid starting QB in the NFL"?  Or was it 22nd?  Either way...

I hope he does better than that...LOL

Its like he gets no credit but all the blame. Sheesh.

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Today we went from a 

Spoiler

4 win team to a 7

win team. 

While I am glad we have our best quarterback option under contract, I'm not exactly doing cartwheels.

SAR I

The season has yet to be started where I live. Don't spoil it for me. 

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ryan, 

Period.

Don't let us down Fitzy.

-Fish

He is getting 1 million dollar per month.  Only thing hearing is Cha Ching. 

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

No, no he was most definitely not. He sets the franchise back at least another year.

How are we "set back" exactly?  What progress has been impinged that would not have had Fitz not been signed?

Please, for the love of God, don't say "Geno Smith's development", because if THIS doesn't show you the organization doesn't want him, what's it going to take?  His being out of the league?

Petty nor Hack are ready, nor will they be for a a while still (a minimum of one year for Petty, at least two for Hack).

So how else are we "set back" by playing the best available QB on a clearly and unquestionably win-now built team?

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

This may not be the stupidest take I've seen in a decade of JN, but it's in the conversation.

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ryan, 

Period.

Don't let us down Fitzy.

-Fish

Well said!!!  Hopefully he becomes the 2016 version of Rich Gannon, if not he better get his earplugs ready 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

This may not be the stupidest take I've seen in a decade of JN, but it's in the conversation.

Well we will see. I will root my heart out for the Jets, including Fitzpatrick but I just think he is a complete fraud that rode an insanely easy schedule to decent stats, and will be completely exposed as the mind numingly average JAG he is in our first 6 games, and we will be sitting there at 1 and 5. He us a lousy QB, but even when we are 1-5, the Fitz ass lickers will still be extolling his intelligence and leadership and blaming everything but this loser for our record.

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Don't be silly.  We have seen enough from Geno Smith to know how bad he sucks, and this is coming from a Mark Sanchez supporter who has given him every benefit of the doubt.

Unless you were talking about Hackenberg or the other guy of course.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Don't be silly.  We have seen enough from Geno Smith to know how bad he sucks, and this is coming from a Mark Sanchez supporter who has given him every benefit of the doubt.

Unless you were talking about Hackenberg or the other guy of course.

SAR I

I just disagree. I think with a year of tape and facing significantly better defenses and teams in general, he will fail to perform just as he has against better teams his entire career. I will root for him and hope to be proven wrong, but I just do not see it. Fitz is incredibly overrated. I think Geno would give more options to the offense and he is a better QB than Fitz. We would win more games with Geno. I think we might win more games with Hackenburg to be truthful.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I just disagree. I think with a year of tape and facing significantly better defenses and teams in general, he will fail to perform just as he has against better teams his entire career. I will root for him and hope to be proven wrong, but I just do not see it. Fitz is incredibly overrated. I think Geno would give more options to the offense and he is a better QB than Fitz. We would win more games with Geno. I think we might win more games with Hackenburg to be truthful.

I get all of this. Fitz is not the franchise QB we need. But, clearly Petty and Hack are not ready (maybe never will be); so the question is giving reality who is the best QB for this year.

Geno is younger and with a better arm. The problem is that he is not strong at reading defenses and isn't as consistent. He has more 'upside', but will likely blow you some big games. With a strong defense, you want an offense the can score but doesn't give the ball away. In this division, you want a QB that won't be as easily fooled by the various tricks and strong defenses. And a guy that won't take a 10 yard sack when in FG range. The Jets are rebuilding, but are still a 'win' now team and Geno backing up Fitz is a better QB combination than Petty backing up Geno. Foles is the same thing, better upside (maybe) but erratic and would have to learn the new offense.

Maybe Geno didn't get a fair shot; maybe he would be better with these WRs and Gailey, but at this point, winning is more important than developing Geno, and the Jets clearly don't believe in Geno. Right or wrong, fair or not, Geno is not the Jets future, and given that, Fitz is the best QB for 2016 IMO.

Hopefully next year will be Hack's year.

I get all of this. Fitz is not the franchise QB we need. But, clearly Petty and Hack are not ready (maybe never will be); so the question is giving reality who is the best QB for this year.

Geno is younger and with a better arm. The problem is that he is not strong at reading defenses and isn't as consistent. He has more 'upside', but will likely blow you some big games. With a strong defense, you want an offense the can score but doesn't give the ball away. In this division, you want a QB that won't be as easily fooled by the various tricks and strong defenses. And a guy that won't take a 10 yard sack when in FG range. The Jets are rebuilding, but are still a 'win' now team and Geno backing up Fitz is a better QB combination than Petty backing up Geno. Foles is the same thing, better upside (maybe) but erratic and would have to learn the new offense.

Maybe Geno didn't get a fair shot; maybe he would be better with these WRs and Gailey, but at this point, winning is more important than developing Geno, and the Jets clearly don't believe in Geno. Right or wrong, fair or not, Geno is not the Jets future, and given that, Fitz is the best QB for 2016 IMO.

Perfectly said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I see that strewn about all the time on these forums. Without having game film and w/o knowing full route trees there's no way any of us know for certain who is or isn't reading defenses well.  Furthermore ,Gailey's offense is based more on getting rid of the ball quickly - ie first read - so its not like Fitz is  in the pocket scanning the field reading his wr's open its just a convienient catchphrase to knock the "stupid" QB. 

So you rather have a guy throw an int when in FG range than taking a sack , that's exactly what Fitz did against Buffalo to kill our season.

I get it Fitz had a good year last season. so its buoyed Jets fans hope for this season. I can understand wanting to continue on with what almost worked  last year - unfinished business I get it.

Do i think Fitz can elevate his game and beat the upper echelon teams in the NFL - I have my doubts and 11 years of data to back  my assumptions up. Do I think Geno could be the guy to beat the upper echelon teams in the NFL - again I have my doubts , but I'm looking at 2 years of evidence under a HC who was allergic to offense to me he's still an unknown entity .  Bottom line it doesn't matter what any of us think the front office and coaches will play who they choose and that appears to be Fitz , will I stand behind him - 100%  I'm a Jet fan - if its fails I'll always wonder what it may have been if ????  

Just now, 56mehl56 said:

I see that strewn about all the time on these forums. Without having game film and w/o knowing full route trees there's no way any of us know for certain who is or isn't reading defenses well.  Furthermore ,Gailey's offense is based more on getting rid of the ball quickly - ie first read - so its not like Fitz is  in the pocket scanning the field reading his wr's open its just a convienient catchphrase to knock the "stupid" QB. 

So you rather have a guy throw an int when in FG range than taking a sack , that's exactly what Fitz did against Buffalo to kill our season.

I get it Fitz had a good year last season. so its buoyed Jets fans hope for this season. I can understand wanting to continue on with what almost worked  last year - unfinished business I get it.

Do i think Fitz can elevate his game and beat the upper echelon teams in the NFL - I have my doubts and 11 years of data to back  my assumptions up. Do I think Geno could be the guy to beat the upper echelon teams in the NFL - again I have my doubts , but I'm looking at 2 years of evidence under a HC who was allergic to offense to me he's still an unknown entity .  Bottom line it doesn't matter what any of us think the front office and coaches will play who they choose and that appears to be Fitz , will I stand behind him - 100%  I'm a Jet fan - if its fails I'll always wonder what it may have been if ????  

I agree that Fitz isn't great. I also remember his INT (both of them in fact) at Buffalo; but Fitz's numbers are 31 TDs to 15 INTs; will he have a better year this year? yeah it is doubtful, but he should have improved play at the #3 and #4 WR; we should also have better play out of our STs and LBs which cost us a game or two.

Geno, on the other hand were 13/13 and 12/21; and yes, what will come is more important than what was, but the chances are that Fitz coming off a 31/15 year is more likely to win us games than Geno coming off of 13/13 and 12/21 years. I also said that maybe it wasn't fair for Geno and maybe he has grown; but it is clear to me that the Jet's FO doesn't view Geno as the future (or now) and feel better with Fitz. And although I don't watch the game film or know the full route trees, the people who do and are paid to know, seem to all favor Fitz over Geno. So, right or wrong, that should tell you something.

Will Geno get his chance? Maybe, if Fitz gets hurt or the season is lost after the first half; in which case Geno will have the benefit of an easier schedule. My guess, however, is that he is done here after this year.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ryan, 

Period.

Don't let us down Fitzy.

-Fish

As if he already doesn't realize he has something to prove with a 1 year contract

54 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

Next up in this saga: Geno mopes, sulks, and opines about how unfair the world is to him. Forces Jets to cut hm. Wouldn't be surprised if he plays the race card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you have a crystal ball or got this after he did none of this a year ago. 

Archived