With Fitz in the fold, Maccs best move was......

Jetster

Matt Forte! Last year when Powell went down, Chris Ivorys lack of versatility (oven mitt hands) killed the offense. We lost every game that Powell was unavailable to play, including @ Buffalo in the finale.

What this shows is that unlike Geno, who takes off running when a play breaks down, Fitz knows exactly where is check downs should be. Even when Fitz moves around he still looks for his outlets before he puts his head down & runs.

With Marshall & Decker, it's very difficult for defenses to check the RB too. I hear that even Khiry can also catch out of the backfield which means Fitz/ Chan won't have to adjust the offense depending how who the RB is behind the QB.

That in turn allows Chan to "set up" the defense with play fakes & play action. The RBs, all of them have to be checked in the passing game. Because of this Amaro has the chance to make some huge plays running seam routes or sitting down vs Zones. With Fitz having a full camp, the return of Amaro, Enunwa with more confidence, maybe the emergence of Peake or Robinson, Chan can now be even more creative going into the 2nd year with all of these veterans. Pretty exciting stuff after 6 years of Rex Ryan/Shotty, Marty.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Matt Forte! Last year when Powell went down, Chris Ivorys lack of versatility (oven mitt hands) killed the offense. We lost every game that Powell was unavailable to play, including @ Buffalo in the finale.

What this shows is that unlike Geno, who takes off running when a play breaks down, Fitz knows exactly where is check downs should be. Even when Fitz moves around he still looks for his outlets before he puts his head down & runs.

With Marshall & Decker, it's very difficult for defenses to check the RB too. I hear that even Khiry can also catch out of the backfield which means Fitz/ Chan won't have to adjust the offense depending how who the RB is behind the QB.

That in turn allows Chan to "set up" the defense with play fakes & play action. The RBs, all of them have to be checked in the passing game. Because of this Amaro has the chance to make some huge plays running seam routes or sitting down vs Zones. With Fitz having a full camp, the return of Amaro, Enunwa with more confidence, maybe the emergence of Peake or Robinson, Chan can now be even more creative going into the 2nd year with all of these veterans. Pretty exciting stuff after 6 years of Rex Ryan/Shotty, Marty.

Wasting Forte was just what I was thinking before Fitz signed. There's more than one way to stretch the field. For Fitz it's in the backfield, and over the middle. Forte, Amaro, and an improve Q do that. I think we've improved just enough to hang with any of the teams on our schedule. Beating the majority of those teams should ready us for the playoffs. I keep hearing everyone say we cannot win the SB so why not tank. There are no super powers in the NFL right now. The Broncos just won without a QB 

If we find a pass rush we're as good as anyone out there. 

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Wasting Forte was just what I was thinking before Fitz signed. There's more than one way to stretch the field. For Fitz it's in the backfield, and over the middle. Forte, Amaro, and an improve Q do that. I think we've improved just enough to hang with any of the teams on our schedule. Beating the majority of those teams should ready us for the playoffs. I keep hearing everyone say we cannot win the SB so why not tank. There are no super powers in the NFL right now. The Broncos just won without a QB 

If we find a pass rush we're as good as anyone out there. 

Great post. With Fitz running the offense, defenses have to be wary of these RBs getting the ball in space if they bring pressure. Fitz quick releases, sidearms, whatever he does to get the ball out could result in huge plays. He did that with awesome results last year & Powell is Matt Forte Lite. I know Fitz isn't pro bowl QB but he at least knows the offense, can adjust quickly to protect vs a blitz & knows when to just throw it away. Like you stated, there are no dynasties in this league anymore, let's get to the tournament & see what happens. I think if we survive those 1st 7 games, stay healthy, this defense has a chance to be LIGHTS OUT if the linebacker core gels throughout the year & the young guys adapt as the year progresses. Our D has the personnel to be as good as any in the league with those 3 beasts up front. If Leo takes a huge step which I'm thinking he will, Sheldon playing for his next contract & Mo happy with his new one, this could be a lot of fun. I think the Bengals going on the road, trying to incorporate 2 newer receivers to take the place of Jones & Sanu, Eifert & Burfict being out, they're running into a buzz saw, not the other way around. We aren't 2 yards & a cloud of dust anymore, or an offense you can blitz every down because we have a novice taking snaps. Fitz does make this team more professional.

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

Far from the truth. Even with Marshall n Decker as his primary targets, Fitz still took off more last year than Geno did in 2014, albeit two extra games. Difference? Fitz never used the TE while Geno didn't have a choice not to use the TE, even though they both had Cumberland as the starting TE. 

Having said that, Forte is the better n smarter RB n should be able to help out in pass protection as well. Ivory had zero awareness as a blocker. We should see a lot of screens being implemented with Forte onboard. 

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

I agree with all of tis and it really was on display in Buffalo. Although, I would normally think signing Matt Forte would make the Jets better because it gives Fitz MORE short passing options, That won't be the case this season.

The OL is on it's way down IMO. Mac simply did not do anything for the OL when it was a unit that everyone knew needed to be tended to. I believe this obvious neglect will cost the team this season. I really don't think the blocking will be there for Fitz in the passing as well as Forte in the running game. The OL is where this season will ultimately go down the tubes.

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

That's an excellent analysis of how good our offense can be this year. 2nd year in the system for most players can only make things better. Plus Chan knows Fitz. I think  Jets have a more versatile backfield and maybe Chan gets the TE's in the game this year. I'm feeling pretty good. 

14 hours ago, Jetster said:

Mac's best move was building a team (coaching staff, and players that fit) for the present, and the future. 

I'm thinking it's hard to replace Ivory. But it was the right move. We probably got the best years out of him. But we are going to miss his presence as a staple on offense and as a power runner. When he was here he was a big part of our offense. I don't think Forte is going to completely take his place. We'll miss that power element. Forte adds a lot but not that. He like Powell are not power backs.

So maybe Robinson the New Orleans Rb is kind of a younger and fresher Chris Ivory. We've heard really good things about him. He's coming off of a serious injury so hopefully he's ok physically. Sean Payton says he will pleasantly surprise us. And compared him to Ivory. I sure hope so. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm thinking it's hard to replace Ivory. But it was the right move. We probably got the best years out of him. But we are going to miss his presence as a staple on offense and as a power runner. When he was here he was a big part of our offense. I don't think Forte is going to completely take his place. We'll miss that power element. Forte adds a lot but not that. He like Powell are not power backs.

So maybe Robinson the New Orleans Rb is kind of a younger and fresher Chris Ivory. We've heard really good things about him. He's coming off of a serious injury so hopefully he's ok physically. Sean Payton says he will pleasantly surprise us. I hope so. 

We got VERY lucky with ivory.. Before he came to the jets he was hurt more than he was on field.. I tend to think he is due to fall back to his old mo.. Power backs like that don't hold up well with age.. Forte will  be a valuable passing option.. Especially Since we don't have a dependable tight end.. When the blitz comes he will find the safety pass for Fitz.. A weak arm qb needs that.. Forte is an upgrade imo

24 minutes ago, ljr said:

Who do you hate more ... Fitz or Forte?

I dont hate either. I just don't like signing 30 year old running backs for 3 years and $12 million. JAG journeyman QBs for $12 million, and defensive tackles for $17 million per. Three very very poor  shortsighted moves.

7 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I dont hate either. I just don't like signing 30 year old running backs for 3 years and $12 million. JAG journeyman QBs for $12 million, and defensive tackles for $17 million per. Three very very poor  shortsighted moves.

agree to disagree 

In the same vein, but I hope that the Bilal Powell signing proves to be the better one. 

And hopefully someday (soon!), we're saying that Christian Hackenberg was the best move. 

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln....?

The revamping of the entire LB corps is the most impressive. Resigning Henderson, Signing Carter, Signing Bishop, Drafting Lee and Jenkins  to pair with what we already have with Mauldin and Harris ( With Taiwan Jones sp? waiting to take over). The LB's have not only gotten completely  younger but faster and more versatile. 

It is and was very impressive how quickly Mac turned one of our biggest weaknesses with no up and coming talent to a young pipeline of LB's that really has the chance to make this defense elite. I cannot wait for this group to gel

26 minutes ago, jdeacon said:

The revamping of the entire LB corps is the most impressive. Resigning Henderson, Signing Carter, Signing Bishop, Drafting Lee and Jenkins  to pair with what we already have with Mauldin and Harris ( With Taiwan Jones sp? waiting to take over). The LB's have not only gotten completely  younger but faster and more versatile. 

It is and was very impressive how quickly Mac turned one of our biggest weaknesses with no up and coming talent to a young pipeline of LB's that really has the chance to make this defense elite. I cannot wait for this group to gel

The LBs and WRs were virtual wastelands when Mac took over, and he's done a great job with each group thru a mix of veterans and draft picks. People complain about the OL, but he brought in a solid starter in Carpenter and drafted a couple mid/late round guys to put in the pipeline. If they don't start to see results with their developmental players this year, I imagine they'll make a bigger splash next year (higher pick/more expensive FA). 

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You have to adjust your thinking to the new NFL economics.

Take Forte for a moment.  His contract puts him right in the vicinity of guys like Frank Gore and CJ Spiller.  Hardly overpaid and probably more upside in the Jets' offense.  Will he be less productive in year 3?  Maybe but that's part of the NFL today.  He'd cost us $1MM in dead cap if we cut him that year.  Not really a big risk.  Personally I think it's a really good deal for the Jets

Fitzpatrick for $12MM with no cap hit after this year?  If he starts it's a bargain, considering our alternatives.  For perspective, Kaepernick's cap hit this season is about $16MM and he probably won't even play.  Bradford is $12.5MM this year and $22.5MM next year (with almost $10MM cap hit if they cut him).  Or would you rather have Flacco's deal which you have to see to believe:  http://overthecap.com/player/joe-flacco/1383/

I'll give you Wilk.  A little.  Not that they kept him, which they should have, but that they mishandled it and ended up paying a few million more than they needed to if they had done it sooner.  Can't figure that one out but oh well.  The way he plays, that contract won't be that bad in 2-3 years when a few more top guys get done.  They always look bad that first year, but become bargains as the cap goes up.

29 minutes ago, slats said:

The LBs and WRs were virtual wastelands when Mac took over, and he's done a great job with each group thru a mix of veterans and draft picks. People complain about the OL, but he brought in a solid starter in Carpenter and drafted a couple mid/late round guys to put in the pipeline. If they don't start to see results with their developmental players this year, I imagine they'll make a bigger splash next year (higher pick/more expensive FA). 

A lot hinges on Clady.  On the upside, if he's able to play, we shouldn't see any impact of Brick's retirement for now.  If he gets hurt, we could be in big trouble.  Same for Mangold, really.  We have no realistic backup plan if he gets hurt.  We were spoiled for 10 years by one amazing draft.  It wouldn't be so bad to do that again and go OL with two high picks to try to reload.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

A lot hinges on Clady.  On the upside, if he's able to play, we shouldn't see any impact of Brick's retirement for now.  If he gets hurt, we could be in big trouble.  Same for Mangold, really.  We have no realistic backup plan if he gets hurt.  We were spoiled for 10 years by one amazing draft.  It wouldn't be so bad to do that again and go OL with two high picks to try to reload.

Clady is like a one year solution. His deal next year is something like 13 mil but the Jets can get out of it. If out of training camp this year he is unable to play the Jets lose 3 mi. His 2016 salary is fairly low. So to me it's a good risk.We swapped draft picks with them a 5th for a 7th so not that expensive. If he comes back and plays well they can either let him go or renegotiate his contract. We have guys who can play the O-line. Sometimes the secondary players who get a chance play very well. 

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If it was up to johnnysd we'd have 53 guys making 2.9 million each

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Clady is like a one year solution. His deal next year is something like 13 mil but the Jets can get out of it. If out of training camp this year he is unable to play the Jets lose 3 mi. His 2016 salary is fairly low. So to me it's a good risk.We swapped draft picks with them a 5th for a 7th so not that expensive. If he comes back and plays well they can either let him go or renegotiate his contract. We have guys who can play the O-line. Sometimes the secondary players who get a chance play very well. 

Every time Mangold gets hurt, the O-Line goes into the crapper.  We have no viable backup Center.  You are right about Clady.  It's stop-gap, and as good a move as was there to be made but the O-Line needs a major overhaul very soon.  I honestly don't see anything to be excited about in the younger guys yet.  Ivory could barely break through last year for short gains.  That's not going to get any easier with Forte.  If we have a unit in most need of an overhaul, I'd say the OL is it.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Every time Mangold gets hurt, the O-Line goes into the crapper.  We have no viable backup Center.  You are right about Clady.  It's stop-gap, and as good a move as was there to be made but the O-Line needs a major overhaul very soon.  I honestly don't see anything to be excited about in the younger guys yet.  Ivory could barely break through last year for short gains.  That's not going to get any easier with Forte.  If we have a unit in most need of an overhaul, I'd say the OL is it.

Forte has great hands the threat of dumpoffs will keep defense more honest and open some lanes

18 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Of course we all remember that Sanchez game vs the Ravens when Mangold sat out and Mark was killed that game. It's one game that I give Mark a pass on. It was a no contest for him that day. He had no time. So far Mac has drafted two O-linemen, Harrison and Shell. (hopefully he's as a player something like his great uncle Art was) He cut Harrison but signed him to the PS last year. Mac also cut Oday Aboushi last year which was a mistake. But OL is a position you can get good in without spending huge money. 

Archived