With Fitz in the fold, Maccs best move was......

Jetster

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If you had a decent first contract QB, and the players actually played at that level it would be a hard team to beat 

This is actually an interesting theory.  In all fairness though, the QB should a 2.9m dude as well.  So that would mean a 2nd rounder or some jag playing for vet minimum.  I wonder which team in NFL history came the closest.      

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Forte is only as good as our line. Macc did nothing for the line. Same old stuff. Hope they figure it out before the season

We'll see.  Our OL did a good job run blocking my concern is pass protection.

4 hours ago, jdeacon said:

The revamping of the entire LB corps is the most impressive. Resigning Henderson, Signing Carter, Signing Bishop, Drafting Lee and Jenkins  to pair with what we already have with Mauldin and Harris ( With Taiwan Jones sp? waiting to take over). The LB's have not only gotten completely  younger but faster and more versatile. 

It is and was very impressive how quickly Mac turned one of our biggest weaknesses with no up and coming talent to a young pipeline of LB's that really has the chance to make this defense elite. I cannot wait for this group to gel

I agree. He also completely re-vamped the secondary. But all he had to do was go out and spend a bunch of money (Revis, Skrine, Gilcrist) and Pryor was an Idzik pick while M.Williams was here before Macc arrived (I think?). So re-vamping the LB corps while keeping the glue (Harris) is definitely more impressive. 

Macc's most impressive moves, to me, are in the following order:

1. Re-vamping the LB corps 

2. Trading for Fitz and Marshall (it's amazing how little he gave up for the production we got out of these guys)

3. Maintaining a dominant D-line (signing McLendod, Jenkins, Wilk, drafting L.Williams)

4. Re-vamping the secondary (signing Revis, Gilchrist, Skrine) 

Of course, we have yet to see how some of these moves work out.   

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

We'll see.  Our OL did a good job run blocking my concern is pass protection.

I agree. I think a lot of Jets fans exaggerate how bad the O-line is. Yes, Mangold is getting older and Breno had a pretty bad season. But Winters improved, if Clady stays healthy he should be more than solid, Mangold is still good, Carpenter was very solid and AS A UNIT, the O-line played great (particularly in the run game) for the majority of the season. There's a reason Ivory had a career year as did Fitz and our WRs and the O-line was part of that. I would take the Jets O-line over a lot of other NFL O-lines. 

I think the O-line will be fine (even with Breno as starter on the right side) as long as guys can stay healthy. It's the depth (once someone gets hurt) that I am worried about.    

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I hate the Forte signing.

We had a poor offseason

Have you ever watched Matt Forte? I've had Forte on my fantasy teams in a PPR league, he's a beast in the passing game. Guy has hands like a WR which means Chan can have him run routes that spread the sh*t out of the defense! 

I think Macc got Forte, Powell & Khiry for the same cap # as what Ivory got paid. Guys open 24/7, Cutler likes to push the ball down the field. Fitz best games were when Powell was available & Forte is a better back. Marshall & Decker will force teams to leave outside underneath routes wide open. If the defense lines up wide to try & check him, Fitz can check to an inside delayed handoff & the Oline can trap LBs trying to get back in the play. That's the beauty of having 3 big strong receivers that can block.

Marshall, Decker & Enunwa huge compared to most CBs & can easily get in the way of smaller LBs & Safeties too. Even Amaro has a big enough body to shield guys off in the 2nd level. 

Some of you guys are never satisfied? We went from Clyde Gates, David Nelson & Greg Salas to Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker, Enunwa, Smith, Thompkins, and have a bevy of young guys with huge upside like Peake, Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall, Jeremy Ross and Kyle Williams. We just need one of these guys to emerge, hopefully we find 2! These young guys are coming into camp learning from two All-Pros in Marshall & Decker with zero pressure to be a #1 or a #2. These guys are fighting for 3/4/5.

Mac has done more with less than many here ever expected. He manipulated the cap getting both Mo and Fitz signed. Jets on paper have a very competitive roster with no excess baggage going into next season. He has shown a real ability to lead this organization, something that was lacking in the past. Now if Bowles can show the same growth as a leader Jets will have a bright future for years to come. Excited for how things have worked out with this regime change.

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

This is actually an interesting theory.  In all fairness though, the QB should a 2.9m dude as well.  So that would mean a 2nd rounder or some jag playing for vet minimum.  I wonder which team in NFL history came the closest.      

Your team would be a puddle 6 inches across and 40 miles deep. No matter how many injuries the team had its non-competative play would see no degradation.

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

Every time Mangold gets hurt, the O-Line goes into the crapper.  We have no viable backup Center.  You are right about Clady.  It's stop-gap, and as good a move as was there to be made but the O-Line needs a major overhaul very soon.  I honestly don't see anything to be excited about in the younger guys yet.  Ivory could barely break through last year for short gains.  That's not going to get any easier with Forte.  If we have a unit in most need of an overhaul, I'd say the OL is it.

I agree the OL is a concern but very few NFL teams have what I would consider a good backup center.

Most NFL teams one of the guards just moves to center of the starter gets hit

6 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Mac has done more with less than many here ever expected. He manipulated the cap getting both Mo and Fitz signed. Jets on paper have a very competitive roster with no excess baggage going into next season. He has shown a real ability to lead this organization, something that was lacking in the past. Now if Bowles can show the same growth as a leader Jets will have a bright future for years to come. Excited for how things have worked out with this regime change.

The cap situation was a challenging one, Wilk's deal made it more and Bradford, Osweiler and even RG3 getting ridiculously overpaid in FA made it exponentially more difficult.

Overall Mac did an outstanding job.  Only thing I would have done different is keep Kerley 

4 hours ago, drdetroit said:

The cap situation was a challenging one, Wilk's deal made it more and Bradford, Osweiler and even RG3 getting ridiculously overpaid in FA made it exponentially more difficult.

Overall Mac did an outstanding job.  Only thing I would have done different is keep Kerley 

Kerley was a fan favorite but was unable to get on the field last season. His departure was a coaching decision more than a GM talent vs dollars issue. 

7 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Kerley was a perfect example of how bad our WR core was in 2014. We thought he was going to be legit, but the reality is we were looking at him next to Gates, Hill, Salas, Nelson. Kerley had a hard time getting open.

9 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Our QBs need 7' tall WRs with 42" verticals. 

5 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Fitz will never take us to the next level. Therefore, he's useless. Hack very well may.

I think having Fitz is good because  he's technically sound and a good mentor since we are starting to develop a stable of raw QB talent. One of these guys hopefully will have the combination of physical ability and learn Fitz's good habits. We can only hope anyway. We haven't drafted a good QB in about 30 years so I would say that we're probably due. Keeping Fitz around was smart. 

His best and worse signing may end up being Fitz. If Fitz plays up to the level of his contract, something he's never done in his entire career, then that will be Maccs best signing. If we ended up paying 12m for traveling journeyman Fitz at his usual level it will be his worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

His best and worse signing may end up being Fitz. If Fitz plays up to the level of his contract, something he's never done in his entire career, then that will be Maccs best signing. If we ended up paying 12m for traveling journeyman Fitz at his usual level it will be his worst.

If he plays to the level of his contract, the Jets are screwed.

22nd highest paid IIRC, and a few guys on rookie deals probably the only thing stopping him from being a few spots from the bottom.

I hope like hell hes better than 22nd best.

5 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Forte is a big time signing. 

Lol I can't believe I'm reading this. 

I think some folks on this board don't actually watch football. 

running backs fall off cliffs...I will be surprised if he makes a significant contribution

43 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

running backs fall off cliffs...I will be surprised if he makes a significant contribution

he has less miles than a usual 30 year old rb i believe plus he is a great pass catcher, which is where he will contribute the most

22nd highest paid IIRC, and a few guys on rookie deals probably the only thing stopping him from being a few spots from the bottom.

With all due respect last season was pretty much the only time in his life he was better than that. I know as Jets fans we're all praying we have our Rich Gannon, but odds are really not in our favor.

Now that it's official, I am glad that the Fitz issue is over . He's a Jet and he has my full support as a Fan of this team.  That said, this guy is nobody's future and this move stinks of a front office who's afraid of the real work that needs to be done with this Jet organization because of the insecurity that exist in this what have you done for me lately world we live in. 

This is a solid front office and it appears for all intents that the coaching staff is solid, working on a plan to make the Jets a championship caliber team . The problem is, all I see is a team with developmental QBs who will never develop because they're not allowed to fail and learn while doing so . Some of the blame can be placed at the feet of the fans and the media who consistently bombard us with their opinions .

IMHO, the vast majority of the blame is the coaching staff's not willing to lose while growing  because it might mean their Jobs . Keeping a young QB on the bench who's been in your system for more than 2 yrs  because of lack of confidence in them is just as bad as throwing a young QB in their 1st yr out to the wolves and not willing to live with the results.

Franchise QBs don't grow on trees, and must be developed . Part of that development involves dealing with the growing pains and not listening to the "white noise" .  This Franchise has spent 40+  years listening to the "white noise" and in all those years, have never developed a QB instead continually keep trotting out has been after has been and never was after never was .

If you're not moving forward, you're stuck in the mud or moving backwards.

Guess where our Jets are ?

That is all .

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

At 12 mil he is 23rd, and at 8mil he was 23rd and at 16 mil he would be 23rd. 

He is the lowest paid veteran starter by 4 mil dollars  I don't think you can complain about this deal. 

If one of our projects can take over next year Fitz will sign elsewhere and net us a 3rd round comp pick. 

14 hours ago, Lizard King said:

He's a more complete back than Ivory... Does this really warrant discussion?

I completely hope I am wrong. What I say on a forum when I am being objective is completely different than the subjective fan I am. I would love for Forte to rush for 1500 and catch for 700 but if I think of the move objectively I think him performing at a high level is unlikely.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I completely hope I am wrong. What I say on a forum when I am being objective is completely different than the subjective fan I am. I would love for Forte to rush for 1500 and catch for 700 but if I think of the move objectively I think him performing at a high level is unlikely.

I don't think anyone is expecting those numbers. But when you had ivory in the game you knew he was either running or blocking because he had stone hands. The pass catching element plus 80% of Ivory's speed... And frankly just being a smarter, more seasoned player, is a wrinkle that should pay off in spades for the whole offense. Defenses have to legitimately game plan for Forte as a threat. That wasn't the case with Chris Ivory... Prep was essentially... Stack the box, the game plan anyone has used against the Jets since the early Rex years with Thomas jones. No more. This is like having the attitude of Thomas Jones, but faster and more versatile. 

On 7/31/2016 at 4:00 AM, Snell41 said:

$12M is a lot of money to us mere mortals but to an NFL QB it's actually on the low end. 

On 7/31/2016 at 6:25 AM, AFJF said:

Yeah plus with his one year deal he has a lot of motivation to prove last year was no fluke and cash in one more time before hanging them up.

Archived