What roster moves did we make to sign Fitz,

JohnnyLV

PleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrenno

1 minute ago, peebag said:

PleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrennoPleasebeBrenno

I support this message.

I'd say it was the Mo' Wilkerson extension that free'd up the CAP space to make this deal happen if I had to guess.

Just now, johnnysd said:

We didn't have the cap room for $12 million, and can't find it any where. Who did we cut/restructure to pay him?

I'd say it was the Mo' Wilkerson extension that free'd up the CAP space to make this deal happen if I had to guess.

I believe since Fitz was signed after June 1, his $12 mil can be split over two years for cap purposes.

So, they only needed to free up $6 million.

Wilk's deal freed up 5 and change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the Jets regained their starting QB without losing anything. Losing Snacks and D'Brick hurts, but McClendon and Clady should provide only a little drop off (Clady when healthy is an upgrade).. Can't keep them all.

This has turned out to be a great offseason and the Jets have gotten better. Can't ask for more than that.

16 minutes ago, jfmckenna said:

I believe since Fitz was signed after June 1, his $12 mil can be split over two years for cap purposes.

So, they only needed to free up $6 million.

Wilk's deal freed up 5 and change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only works for Dead Money not for new contracts.

http://overthecap.com/june-1-date-means-nfl/

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wilkersons contract freed up 9 million. Where is the other 3 million? Stacy?

Wilkerson freed up $5.7mil. We had about $3mil in space prior to that. We just signed Lee for $1.8mil. We are still short by $5 mil and that doesn't even factor in the $2-3mil reserve we need for the season. So we had to have moved about $8+mil of space towards 2017 n beyond, not $3mil. 

Now im hoping we find a replacement for Giac n he gets cut. That's a good saving going forward. Folk n Ross are going to battle it out this camp as well n we may see Ross winning it. 

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Wilkerson freed up $5.7mil. We had about $3mil in space prior to that. We just signed Lee for $1.8mil. We are still short by $5 mil and that doesn't even factor in the $2-3mil reserve we need for the season. So we had to have moved about $8+mil of space towards 2017 n beyond, not $3mil. 

Now im hoping we find a replacement for Giac n he gets cut. That's a good saving going forward. Folk n Ross are going to battle it out this camp as well n we may see Ross winning it. 

They cut P Tom Hackett 

35 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I doubt Ross wins out, I doubt Giac gets cut without a clear starter to take his place (Qvale is not that as of yet). I think they re-structured a couple of deals to free up more cap, we should hear about them soon. 

43 minutes ago, j4jets said:

We should've just paid fitz $1 million but hired his affiliated holding company $11 million for "services rendered" and thus work around the salary cap completely. 

46 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I doubt Ross wins out, I doubt Giac gets cut without a clear starter to take his place (Qvale is not that as of yet). I think they re-structured a couple of deals to free up more cap, we should hear about them soon. 

If Ross n Folk are at the same level, Ross will win. Folks salary cap is a major motivation to let him go. I agree Breno isn't going anywhere this year, not unless Qvale lights it up in the pre season, albeit against backups. 

14 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

no cuts were needed. word is coming out there there are voidable years making the salary hit $7M this year $5M next year against the cap.

That right there is what I expected. A deal very similar to what Revis signed with Pats. It was commonly known as a one year deal with year 2 being $20mil. Coincidentally, Fitz' salary is also $12mil like Revis. Perhaps his 2nd year includes an astronomical figure as well with a team option. 

43 minutes ago, jgb said:

We should've just paid fitz $1 million but hired his affiliated holding company $11 million for "services rendered" and thus work around the salary cap completely. 

He needs to cheat his way into winning a few SBs for that. 

3 minutes ago, j4jets said:

If Ross n Folk are at the same level, Ross will win. Folks salary cap is a major motivation to let him go. I agree Breno isn't going anywhere this year, not unless Qvale lights it up in the pre season, albeit against backups. 

I disagree. I don't see it as much of a salary issue. These guys aren't making a ton either way.

Folk is a vet and has proven that he can be consistent and clutch in actual NFL games that matter. If they play on the same level, there's no way the Jets go with an unproven rookie just b/c of a couple mil. difference in salary. 

18 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree. I don't see it as much of a salary issue. These guys aren't making a ton either way.

Folk is a vet and has proven that he can be consistent and clutch in actual NFL games that matter. If they play on the same level, there's no way the Jets go with an unproven rookie just b/c of a couple mil. difference in salary. 

If Ross is as good as Folk as a rookie, he should be better than him in coming years. And I know Folk has been good but who is to say a rookie can't be good either? 

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

If Ross is as good as Folk as a rookie, he should be better than him in coming years. And I know Folk has been good but who is to say a rookie can't be good either? 

Good in camp is one thing ... good under game time pressure is another.

3 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Good in camp is one thing ... good under game time pressure is another.

Agreed, but everyone goes through that. He has a strong leg and was very accurate in school. I don't see how he won't get picked up this year. 

Just now, j4jets said:

Agreed, but everyone goes through that. He has a strong leg and was very accurate in school. I don't see how he won't get picked up this year. 

Key question will be - if the Jets are going "all in" this year, do you run with the trusted vet who might be starting to show a bit of wear, or the untested rookie with a ton of potential?

Just now, jamesr said:

Key question will be - if the Jets are going "all in" this year, do you run with the trusted vet who might be starting to show a bit of wear, or the untested rookie with a ton of potential?

We'll see I guess. Im rooting for Ross though as his potential seems to be very high.

38 minutes ago, j4jets said:

We'll see I guess. Im rooting for Ross though as his potential seems to be very high.

Hey, I'd love to think we'd found our future guy, I guess I just got used to not worrying about 35 yard FGs with Folk in the job. ;)

Archived